Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 8:43:00 PM EDT
[#1]
If Rolex started putting their mechanicals into $100 Swatch watches, those watches wouldn't be as sought after as a Rolex.  That's the whole point of the thread.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 8:43:20 PM EDT
[#2]
H&K P7
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 8:44:59 PM EDT
[#3]
MP5 - 2 stamper
Omega watches
Tesla
Staccato

Soon to have a Rolex and a more expensive Tesla Plaid… both because I want them pretty bad.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 8:54:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini, Porsche, Land Rover, Maybach, Rolls Royce, etc.

Expensive and overhyped luxury status symbols.
View Quote
There are actual measurable performance differences in a lot of those, though it's a moot point for the majority of people who buy them.  I'd say something like Mopar muscle cars would be a better example in that vein, where people will pay 6-7 figures for something that is inferior to some modern sedans in every measurable way.  (For what it's worth, were I to win the lottery a $200k+ 1955 Nomad restomod project would be among the first purchases, so I get it.)
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 9:00:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Capitalism. It's all about marketing and sales.

One must be careful not to become obsessed with any kind of objects. The corps will take all of one's money if one does.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 9:00:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Vagina...

hahahaha   MGTOW...

Link Posted: 6/16/2023 9:02:39 PM EDT
[#7]
My essence.

Link Posted: 6/16/2023 9:20:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Mercedes
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 9:33:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

And their flagship cameras and lenses aren't desirable "solely" due to their high cost. They're desirable because they offer top performance. Whether an individual has the skills to make use of that extra capability, is a different question.

View Quote

Yeah, I am sure the majority are people who buy them just for the red ring, and take pictures on auto mode that look like cell phone snaps.

Many iconic photos have stories behind them, because it took research and planning to make them happen.  And every single iconic photo more than 5 years old, was taken with a camera most would call "totally obsolete" today.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 9:37:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah, I am sure the majority are people who buy them just for the red ring, and take pictures on auto mode that look like cell phone snaps.

Many iconic photos have stories behind them, because it took research and planning to make them happen.  And every single iconic photo more than 5 years old, was taken with a camera most would call "totally obsolete" today.
View Quote

Cameras, and lenses especially, are about keeping up with the Joneses. Yes, they get better as tech advances, but damn....to have something SO high end be "obsolete" in such a short time...it's madness.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 9:38:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Rolex.  A G-Shock is a better watch for a fraction of the price.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 9:49:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You have to replace batteries in a Casio, correct?
View Quote

Not if its solar powered, as all my Casios are
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 10:32:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And their flagship cameras and lenses aren't desirable "solely" due to their high cost. They're desirable because they offer top performance. Whether an individual has the skills to make use of that extra capability, is a different question.

It's like the argument that people who buy any expensive car that can go way above the speed limit, does so only because they're expensive.

Nah. If I could get a Koenigsegg for $10k or a flagship Canon or Sony for $100, I'd be ALL OVER that. People value/prize them because they have the ability to perform way above cheaper options. As mentioned, whether an individual has the ability to take advantage of those abilities, is a completely different question.

I have no interest in a $1,000,000 Yugo, or a $10,000 disposable camera. Although I'm sure there would be some morons who would be interested, if they were touted as being rare/exclusive editions, along with being expensive.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 10:33:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Basically anything pop culture.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 10:40:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It is a watch that tells time like many others,
View Quote

Thats like saying a custom 1911 shoots bullets just as a psa dagger does.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 11:31:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It's like the argument that people who buy any expensive car that can go way above the speed limit, does so only because they're expensive.

Nah. If I could get a Koenigsegg for $10k or a flagship Canon or Sony for $100, I'd be ALL OVER that. People value/prize them because they have the ability to perform way above cheaper options. As mentioned, whether an individual has the ability to take advantage of those abilities, is a completely different question.

I have no interest in a $1,000,000 Yugo, or a $10,000 disposable camera. Although I'm sure there would be some morons who would be interested, if they were touted as being rare/exclusive editions, along with being expensive.
View Quote

SUPREME
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 12:52:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'll fight you over whiskey and knives...and SOME cars.

I came here to post "Rolex". And I'm into watches, or was. They make a fantastic watch, but the asking price is way out of line with the watch and more reflective of the "image" they sell through their marketing. I'd love a Tudor BB58, which are substantially cheaper, but even those are also overpriced...
View Quote

There are also tons of great tool watches out there today that are just as good from a functional standpoint at a much lower price. Too each their own though.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top