Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/24/2020 2:03:58 PM EDT
Suppose the Ouija Dog tells his handler that there's dope in your car or that your Camry is, in fact, a car - the signals are practically identical - and the officer conducts a cursory search of your vehicle (he only slits one side of each bucket seat and looks under the upholstery from the side instead of slitting both sides and looking down from the top). When he looks down at the pile of crap he has tossed from your trunk into the emergency lane, he sees your braced AR pistol. My legal question is this: How many days do you spend on the P Farm before the Magistrate comes through while riding his circuit and agrees with the deputy that your pistol is in fact an SBR and you should be held without bond until the Court of Assizes sits at the county seat next June?
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 2:07:03 PM EDT
[#1]
What is the real question here??
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 2:07:49 PM EDT
[#2]
EFile Form 1 takes about 20-30 days

It’s a no brainer
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 2:09:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Braces are pretty common at this point on short AR pistols. I'd expect most LEO at this point are aware of them.
Now wither or not he wants to be a jerk and screw you knowing it won't stick but will put you through hell, that's another matter. So moral of the story is don't be a prick to the man with the badge, and you'll probably be fine so far as your municipality doesn't have a problem with braces.

But I'm not a lawyer.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 2:11:41 PM EDT
[#4]
So you’re going to get pulled over, have a dog alert falsely for drugs and get falsely imprisoned for an AR pistol mistaken for an SBR?
Do I have that right?

If so, LOL
Paranoid much?

Link Posted: 8/24/2020 2:12:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 2:13:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Clearly, Q should have predicted this.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 2:14:29 PM EDT
[#7]
It's a hell of a lot easier to legally have a ccw and an AR pistol in your car than an SBR.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 2:15:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I’ve been told I’m too cavalier in my personal life but I don’t fret such things
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 2:15:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:My legal question is this: How many days do you spend on the P Farm before the Magistrate comes through while riding his circuit and agrees with the deputy that your pistol is in fact an SBR and you should be held without bond until the Court of Assizes sits at the county seat next June?
View Quote

What century are you posting from?
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 2:17:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Build or buy a low dollar but reliable ar pistol
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 2:19:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 2:21:46 PM EDT
[#12]
This fantastical scenario would go on an extremely long list of things I'm not worried about.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 2:21:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So you’re going to get pulled over, have a dog alert falsely for drugs and get falsely imprisoned for an AR pistol mistaken for an SBR?
Do I have that right?

If so, LOL
Paranoid much?

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/24/2020 2:22:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 2:22:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Leave the brace at home then.

You wont feel the buffer tube digging in if you really need the pistol.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 2:28:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Ill take an AR pistol over the SBR any day. I dont have to ask for a permission slip to take it out of state.

Link Posted: 8/24/2020 2:29:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
How many posts have there been on ARFCOM about folks getting arrested for an AR pistol?

That's your answer.

Lots of cops are going the pistol route to avoid the $200 tax stamp.
View Quote

Yes,and lots of Motor Patrol officers have them issued now.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 2:29:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Buy a factory made AR pistol and print out the manufacturer's web-page on the model to carry with you. Also print out the BATF letter on the particular brace chosen if it has one.
http://shop.bravocompanymfg.com/BCM-RECCE-11-MCMR-PISTOL-AR15-w-SBA3-Brace-p/bcm-pistol-610-850-sba.htm

If Officer Roomtie Eyecue puts you in jail after seeing all that evidence of legality, put your JD to work and make his life miserable.

Link Posted: 8/24/2020 2:30:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I dunno I got a DUI once and they couldnt of gave a fuck less about the SBR in the trunk
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 2:32:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Sounds like something you should run by a lawyer.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 2:35:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 2:37:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It’s a no brainer
View Quote

Some people don't want to register.

It is nice having a legal option to have something shorter.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 2:40:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

@Aimless

#TootToot

View Quote

Or maybe run it by a judge.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 2:43:35 PM EDT
[#24]
I remember my first drunk post. Ah the memories.

If I was you, OP, I wouldn't leave the warmth and comfort of your mom's basement. Hibernate, eat your hearts content of pizza rolls, and laugh maniacally at the thought of some other milk drinker getting pounded by the PD.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 2:46:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Do I have that right?

If so, LOL
Paranoid much?

View Quote

He’s not paranoid. They really are out to get him.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 2:48:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Well, since it is a pistol OP could avoid this if he has his permit and carries his pistol holstered.  Next option is to just take the holster off his belt and leave his pistol in its holster and place it in the center console or glove box.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 2:52:31 PM EDT
[#27]
I think with the commonality of firearms in vehicals, I would they'd be more worried about other stuff.

The only exception is maybe a supressor, that might get a second look.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 3:07:58 PM EDT
[#28]
You might wanna lay off the caffeine Op... Or not drive around with a bag of blow in your camry
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 3:14:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

He’s not paranoid. They really are out to get him.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/24/2020 3:15:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Unless you are being an asshole, my guess is that they might ask you were you got your brace, and how do you like it?

CCW + braced AR pistol =
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 3:17:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Suppose the Ouija Dog tells his handler that there's dope in your car or that your Camry is, in fact, a car - the signals are practically identical - and the officer conducts a cursory search of your vehicle (he only slits one side of each bucket seat and looks under the upholstery from the side instead of slitting both sides and looking down from the top). When he looks down at the pile of crap he has tossed from your trunk into the emergency lane, he sees your braced AR pistol. My legal question is this: How many days do you spend on the P Farm before the Magistrate comes through while riding his circuit and agrees with the deputy that your pistol is in fact an SBR and you should be held without bond until the Court of Assizes sits at the county seat next June?
View Quote

Dude, I don't know what your smoking, but stop! For the love of all that is Holy, stop, and back away.

Seriously though, that isn't something I have never, and never will, worry about.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 3:26:23 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm pretty sure that only the feds can enforce a NFA violation, anyway.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 3:29:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Most probably don't even know the difference between a rifle, sbr and a pisol anyway
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 3:30:44 PM EDT
[#34]
LoL, join date and post count. Check.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 3:31:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Sounds like something you should run by a lawyer.  
View Quote

Fuck it.  Just write a letter to the ATF and get their opinion.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 3:34:31 PM EDT
[#36]
My Ar pistols don't have braces and it hasn't been an issue. shrug
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 3:34:41 PM EDT
[#37]
I would guess that most law enforcement officers are not really up to speed on the NFA in the first place.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 3:34:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Imagine waking up every morning and being this scared or paranoid.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 3:34:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It’s a no brainer
View Quote

In my state a brace makes more sense

Wa won’t allow a loaded rifle in the vehicle, even with a CPL
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 3:35:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lots of state laws mirror the NFA.

Most of my co-workers when I was a cop, could stare at an SBR or an AR pistol and not question it.

A sawed off shotgun or maybe even a 500 Shockwave? You're getting a ride. Cops aren't gun savvy at all.. lol.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 3:36:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Buy a factory made AR pistol and print out the manufacturer's web-page on the model to carry with you. Also print out the BATF letter on the particular brace chosen if it has one.
http://shop.bravocompanymfg.com/BCM-RECCE-11-MCMR-PISTOL-AR15-w-SBA3-Brace-p/bcm-pistol-610-850-sba.htm

If Officer Roomtie Eyecue puts you in jail after seeing all that evidence of legality, put your JD to work and make his life miserable.

View Quote

LOL nope. How about just live your fucking life and stop worrying about this kind of stupid shit?
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 3:38:18 PM EDT
[#42]
What if you're pulled over by a cop that doesn't know the Assault Weapons Ban expired in 2004 and he locks you up for having 15 round mags in your handgun?

OP's scenario has about the same likelihood of occurring.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 3:39:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Most of my co-workers when I was a cop, could stare at an SBR or an AR pistol and not question it.

A sawed off shotgun or maybe even a 500 Shockwave? You're getting a ride. Lol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A sawed off shotgun or maybe even a 500 Shockwave? You're getting a ride. Lol.

So that's why Aimless keeps a Shockwave on his dashboard.  

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 3:41:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It’s a no brainer
View Quote

It’s a no brainer if you don’t have a brain.

In my state, a concealed carry permit doesn’t allow you to conceal an SBR, it’s why I didn’t SBR my 300BLK pistol.

You don’t need permission to take a pistol across state lines.

Someone who isn’t on my trust can use a pistol.

Etc.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 3:43:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

So that's why Aimless keeps a Shockwave on his dashboard.  

Kharn
View Quote

In all reality, I'd imagine calls would be made on-scene, to another officer who actually knows.

I've been called before over a Shockwave 500 and had to educate an officer on them.

Person went to jail because they had a warrant tho.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 3:44:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Look man, you worry too much okay? Its like i'm listening to my sister's kids or sumpthin..
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 3:45:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
How many posts have there been on ARFCOM about folks getting arrested for an AR pistol?

That's your answer.

Lots of cops are going the pistol route to avoid the $200 tax stamp.
View Quote

Not only that...some depts were supplying them also I doubt many even know SBRs require a stamp, only see an AR there
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 3:46:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Two, because the difference between a duck is that one leg is shorter.  

Link Posted: 8/24/2020 3:47:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Not only that...some depts were supplying them also I doubt many even know SBRs require a stamp, only see an AR there
View Quote

This.

But a short shotty sents off the bells and whistles.. Its weird but true.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 3:53:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

NFA itself, yes. State laws which prohibit the same thing are fair game.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top