Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 3:27:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 3:44:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thats a thought i will look into.  Obviously i am looking to live uphill but somewhere reasonably close to a decent sized town or city.

And maybe Boone is not a good target if a big part of its ~10k pop is just the students.  Not sure if they count
View Quote
I grew up in Mountain City.  I still own the house I grew up in.  If you're going to home school your children, having Appalachian State close is a good thing.  Lots of resources.  Yea, there are plenty of liberals and hippies in Boone but they are surrounded by hillbillies that keep them in check.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 4:05:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The wind does not blow much in applatia?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The idea of living in the cool quiet mountains is quaint and appealing but the reality is that building a house on a rock pile is a pain in the ass.

Walking up hill is a pain in the ass.
Living in wooded terrain is hot and no breeze and a pain in the ass.
Snakes, bugs, varmints, methbillys, and long drives to ANYTHING, are a pain in the ass.
Digging a trench or septic tank or fence post is a pain in the ass.

It's not for old people.
The wind does not blow much in applatia?
In the deeply wooded areas you get very little wind or breeze at ground level.  It gets hot and stays hot until after dark.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 5:01:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The idea of living in the cool quiet mountains is quaint and appealing but the reality is that building a house on a rock pile is a pain in the ass.

Walking up hill is a pain in the ass.
Living in wooded terrain is hot and no breeze and a pain in the ass.
Snakes, bugs, varmints, methbillys, and long drives to ANYTHING, are a pain in the ass.
Digging a trench or septic tank or fence post is a pain in the ass.

It's not for old people.
View Quote
Eastern TN isnt really anything like you describe, except the occasional methbilly.

However, we are full.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 5:53:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Lived in GA all my life (almost 50) this is a question I ask myself often just in case I end up moving from central GA at some point

Used to spend a few weeks a year with some family like friends in Rabun  county in the 70's and 80's. Always wanted to move there but it's completely different than it was then. Way too grown up compared to the place I Remember from back then

I might move to western north GA as I went to school in Rome. But would rather live in eastern or east central Tennessee. Spent a lot of time on vacation and seeing doctors there with my wife. Love the people there.  I really like the Harrogate/Claiborne county area. I also like bell county Kentucky from what I've seen

NC? MAYBE but there is a pretty strong liberal presence there compared to Tennessee IMO

Never been to WV but it's on the list so I might include that in my considerations
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 6:16:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
East Tennessee is heaven.

Of all the Appalachians, it's the best.   And Tenn is super-red.
View Quote
My family settled in Anderson County, Tennessee in 1792
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 6:22:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Come to the Asheville area, just don't move into the Asheville city limits. The city of Asheville has its own property taxes so your taxes will be almost double. I have lived in the area for 15 years and the housing prices are not going to get any cheaper anytime soon. If you do decide to move to the area hit me up I can do all of the survey work you need for building or buying and I know several good builders in the area. What was said earlier about the snow at elevation is true, I live at almost 3000' and when we get a big snow I am stuck on the mountain for a couple of days.

Jack
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 6:30:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I went through the same decision making process when I got out of the military in 2015. Like you, I had children to consider and in my line of work could have lived anywhere. Several years before I got out I zeroed in on western North Carolina, north Georgia, and northeast Tennessee as places to settle down. I had been stationed in eastern North Carolina and south Georgia so I had some familiarity with those states.  All would be good places to live.  GA has the best gun laws.  In the end we decided on northeast Tennessee.  We love it here.  Mountains, rolling farmland, conservative people, no state income tax, and very good school systems.  Probably some of the best public schools in the region.  We're never moving again.

By the way,  I grew up in Eastern KY.  I don't particularly recommend that area.
View Quote
What town are you in?
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 12:14:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm guessing you're in the BSFNRR area. I rented a cabin (on Obey Blevins Lane) there in late August. Great place, almost desolate. Hot and humid like Ohio. Saw loads of wildlife (bear, deer, turkey).
View Quote
I work a few miles from those cabins. Summers can be pretty hot/humid, but nothing like what you get further south. With the mild winters the overall weather is a pretty good. The remoteness has its advantages and disadvantages-namely that you have to drive 45 minutes-1hoir to get to a town of any size.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 7:18:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 1:17:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Wanting to move putta FL now more than ever
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 1:19:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thank you sir.  W NC is a great place, in spite of all the angry lesbos in Ashville and the trash faculty at Boone, of course.   Let me know what you have any suggestions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The western NC mountains are full.... of places you should make knives. Come on
Thank you sir.  W NC is a great place, in spite of all the angry lesbos in Ashville and the trash faculty at Boone, of course.   Let me know what you have any suggestions.
We need more like-minded people here.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top