User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:16:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

1- Email “provider” says it’s not their problem. I use godaddy (bought the URL 20+ years ago, it’s paid 5 years at a time in advance), switched to Outlook two years ago. Mail on the server isn’t a problem (it’s deleted once I download), problem is with Apple’s mail app/program dumping all the message CONTENT, keeping the subject lines only.  Apple’s tech guys called that “a glitch.”
View Quote

Still using POP?

I'd suggest using a modern email hosting provider with IMAP where your email is kept on the server and you maintain cached copies of your email on all your devices (phone, desktop, laptop, tablet, etc) and can access webmail portal as well.

I use Office365 and it costs me $4/month for 50gig mailbox.  I do occasionally pull a PST backup of the email for disaster recovery.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:22:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I have always been an Android user until last year. My kids made me switch to a Iphone. I will not stay with it after the contract is up. While it does some great things it does, it’s user interface is much worse and way less usable than Android.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:24:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Also, you don’t get the latest version of Android. You’re lucky if the phone manufacturer gives you 2 major updates, and if they do, the version is already a year old:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Also, you don’t get the latest version of Android. You’re lucky if the phone manufacturer gives you 2 major updates, and if they do, the version is already a year old:

not true.  Samsung guarantees at least 4 years of major updates for all modern Samsung android phones.  the last version of Android was released in Oct 2023 and it was available for my phone in November 2023

Samsung also says that all devices from 2019 or later will get at least four years of security updates. That includes every Galaxy line: Galaxy S, Note, Z, A, XCover, and Tab, for a total of over 130 models. Meanwhile, some recent flagship devices like the Galaxy S23, Galaxy Z Fold 5, and others are scheduled to get five years of security updates. The S24 series is due to get seven years.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:27:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Reason #99 to switch if still not convinced

androids have microSD slot, you can insert up to 1TB microSD card for your storage.

Amazing that iPhone doesn't have it. Preposterous really.
View Quote
hardly any of the most recent android phones have SD cards. I think Google got rid of them on the Nexus/Pixel lines almost 10 years ago
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:28:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

From what I understand it’s not exactly the same. On my Mac it is identical to texting and receiving on my phone. Contacts and history is there automatically
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only time my alarm hasn’t worked has been my fault.

I only want to turn my phone on and use it with the least amount of steps possible.

iPhone and Apple does that better than anyone.

Plus I can move from my phone to iPad to Mac work computer to Mac home computer to Mac book completely seamlessly. Plus can text from computer on airplane.

No amount of features would ever make me lose all of that.

Plus I can walk into an Apple store and tell them to fix whatever the issue is and walk out with it fixed.

You could do all of that with Android....10 years ago.

You can’t do that with android now without logging into various things.

You also can’t text from your PC.

There is no android store with techs in house.

There is no android business center with reps and classes

I know you are very emotionally invested in which phone people use, but it’s not important enough to overly hype the stuff you like.

sure you can.  do it every day

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/8695/Screenshot_2024-04-22_172411_png-3195435.JPG

From what I understand it’s not exactly the same. On my Mac it is identical to texting and receiving on my phone. Contacts and history is there automatically

my contacts and history are there automatically as well.   the backend solution on how it is done might be different between apple and google, but the end result is the same.  I have full visiblity into text history and can write a text on my PC, attach photos, and send it.  the text is sent and I see that new text on my phone.  if I write a text on my phone, a copy of that shows up in the chat history in my PC.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:37:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My wife has an iphone, basic things like delete app cache, to free up space or sorting files by size are apparently not something people do on iPhones.

The camera is great, everything else blows.
View Quote

Why should you have to do those things?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:45:40 AM EDT
[#7]
iPhone user here. I would love to have an e-ink, small form-factor phone, which apple will never do. There's even one coming out with a QWERTY keyboard soon. This would be the only reason I'd switch from iPhone.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:50:22 AM EDT
[#8]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Skeptical

I don’t know, back in a former life I had many young workers have random alarm failures. They would look and see that it was turned on and test it, and it would work. This goes way beyond phones, this has been happening even when people used alarm clocks. (Which is particularly interesting as that would be the single most important feature of those devices)

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/367483/sure_sure_gif-3195106.gif

Man, I'm 38 years old and I can't trust any alarm that I can reach without getting out of bed. I've been using the phone alarm to wake up in the night to let the puppy out every few hours and I have missed as many alarms in the past few weeks as I did when I was in school.
I fixed that problem by putting the alarm clock on the dresser.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:53:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Its gotten to the point that after about five minutes of conversation I can tell if someone is an Android user.

They have a certain odor to them.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:58:46 AM EDT
[#10]
That's the beauty of a free market. Use what you want.

Google stole iOS and made a fairly decent product out of it. They did it to get more marketing data off end users but if you know that going in and are OK with it fine.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:09:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Actually reading this thread I realized my alarm didn’t go off on my iPhone- I was up early and I had taken my Apple watch off and  placed it on the charger before the alarm went off. The alarm might have went off on the watch but the speaker doesn’t work anymore on it and it was in another room

I have noticed the iPhone alarm does get wonky with having a Apple Watch connected, sometimes both will ring the alarm, sometimes its just the watch, sometimes neither( very rare), I’ve actually had phantom alarms after an update  - one time alarms I set for a specific thing one time and deleted and they would repeatedly go off at that day and time even though there was no record of having any alarm set.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:41:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Difficult to tell which company is worse in terms of screwing users up.  However, the iPhone's and iOS designs that block anything outside of the fence, unless the user jailbreak the device makes the iPhone worse.  Android at least lets the user sideload apps and do other stuff iPhones' won't.  

I tried a 3GS and it was the only one, to never go back to Apple.

View Quote

What you describe is exactly the reason the walled garden exists in the first place.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:47:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My wife has an iphone, basic things like delete app cache, to free up space or sorting files by size are apparently not something people do on iPhones.

The camera is great, everything else blows.
View Quote

Phones ha e good cameras, but the S23/24 ultras cameras are amazing also. You can get an s23ultra unlocked for half the price of an s24 with barely any lost performance or features
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:06:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Saying Android doesn't do this or that when it appears you've never used it is silly. I'm not trying to convince you or anyone to use Android and you're not convincing me to use iPhone. I don't care either way but, just about everything on the iPhone was being done on Android years before. My text on PC looks exactly the same as my phone. Contacts, history, photos, documents, everything, all the same.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:19:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Saying Android doesn't do this or that when it appears you've never used it is silly. I'm not trying to convince you or anyone to use Android and you're not convincing me to use iPhone. I don't care either way but, just about everything on the iPhone was being done on Android years before. My text on PC looks exactly the same as my phone. Contacts, history, photos, documents, everything, all the same.

View Quote
Yeah.. No it wasn't.
I personally couldn't care less if someone chooses one over the other but historical or technical facts need to be correct.

while it is true that sometimes Android has had a feature here or there "before" the iPhone, not going to address that because it requires a much larger discussion that only a handful in this thread could make sense of.

However: 1) Android was completely Stolen from iOS by Eric Schmidt (Google CEO at the time) and sat on Apples BOD during iPhone development.

2) the feature of texting on your PC may look the same, act the same. It is not the same  This is the very reason Google has been lobbying Apple and the government to force Apple to let them into iMessage (it might be noted that Apple offered this in 2007 and Google declined).

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:18:41 PM EDT
[#16]
NM..
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:22:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Thinking about switching from iPhone to Lightphone
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:46:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

just about everything on the iPhone was being done on Android years before.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

just about everything on the iPhone was being done on Android years before.

How’s that possible being that iPhone predated Samsungs copy by nearly 18 months.

This debate is only possible literally because of the iPhone.

In regards to texting from your PC, it seems it’s possible but not quite as seamless like it is across Mac products.

I do know that when I have customers with an android phone, and their phone is off, they can’t send or receive texts but I can. So something is missing from the story, somewhere.
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top