Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/1/2024 4:55:07 PM EDT
Blended family dynamics can get tricky, and while some view their step-siblings as their blood relatives, others don't necessarily feel that bond.

That seems to be the case in this story about a 17-year-old who is set to receive a large inheritance from his late mother when he turns 18. Unfortunately, his father and stepmother recently found out about the money, and are now pressuring him to share it with his step-siblings.

Here's the full story in 17-year-old u/NothingThick4824's own words:

"I, a 17-year-old male, will be coming into a large amount of money when I turn 18. This is money that my mom, who died when I was 7, and my maternal grandparents accumulated for me since I was born. I won't say the exact amount, but it's between $500K and $1 million."

"The reason it's that much is my grandparents ran a successful business for many years, and they sold it 18 months ago, and all money from that sale went to me. They kept none of it."

"My grandparents have control over all of it currently. Before my mom died, she left them in charge of the account where she was saving. She was married to my dad at the time, but had wanted to secure my future in case anything happened, like dad remarrying and having additional kids."

"She didn't want to run the risk that once she was gone, her money could be used for someone who wasn't her kid. My dad knew some money had been saved for me by mom, but was never aware of how much or little it was. He also had no idea my grandparents continued saving for me."

"My grandparents told me about the money over a year ago. They wanted me to prepare for my future and to know I would have so many options because of the money available to me."

"They also mentioned it never bringing back my mom, but could alleviate the burden of becoming an adult."

"So here's the deal. My dad did remarry. He has a stepdaughter (16) and a son (5) with his current wife."

"Eventually, I told him it wasn't going to be a big concern, and I told him about the money."

"He was like wtf, and then he told his wife, and they apparently went wtf together and told me that I could be gracious and split the money when I get it between the three of us, and give the other two a chance to have a decent helping hand with college."

"I told them I would not be sharing it because it was created by my family, not theirs. Dad's wife argued that it would be incredibly selfish to take such a large amount of money and blow it all on myself when I have two siblings who could also benefit in major ways from it."

"They are SO not happy with me. They told me that being selfish with this is not a good way to be. My dad is also pissed that he continued saving for me and dividing things equally between the three of us when I have so much I'll have access to in a few months. Am I the asshole?"

People rushed to the comments to weigh in, with user Artistic_Tough5005 writing: "Not the asshole. Their reaction is exactly why your mom set it up how she did!"

"She knew your dad and well enough to know the money would not be yours and used for children that are not hers."

"Not the asshole," user Outrageous_Shoe_1450 agreed. "For future reference, DON'T TELL ANYBODY ELSE ABOUT YOUR MONEY!"

"If it’s not already the case, open up a bank account at a different bank from the one your father uses," user lemon_charlie advised.

"No matter how you proceed, you need to protect the investment in your future your mother and grandparents have made because you know your father will want to access it."

"If Dad has put aside some money over the years and has, say, $50K in an account to pay for your college, I would see nothing wrong with shifting that $50K over to the other kids," user EnderBurger wrote, proposing a compromise.

"OP has half a million available, so OP's college is taken care of, and that $50K can be used to help the other kids."

Yikes. What do you think about this situation? Have you ever had a sticky situation involving inheritance money?

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/17-old-being-called-selfish-175910720.html

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 4:56:41 PM EDT
[#1]
If I want to read Reddit, I know how to get there.  I don't need you to repost it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 4:59:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Does really like the typical fake look at me Reddit am I the asshole post.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:00:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I want to read Reddit, I know how to get there.  I don't need you to repost it.
View Quote

This. WTF is with the infiltration of this reddit garbage?
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:01:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Retarded
And 500k isn't shit.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:01:18 PM EDT
[#5]
All of it belongs to the kid.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:02:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:02:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't want to see reddit shit here.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:03:33 PM EDT
[#8]
He shouldn't share it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:04:03 PM EDT
[#9]
"Money brings out the worst in relationships."
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:04:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Kid should keep his mouth shut.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:05:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Retarded
And 500k isn't shit.
View Quote

For a 17 year old thats life changing money. But i forgot arf is full of billionaires.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:06:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Oh look! Another shit that never happened made up drama story.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:06:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Retarded
And 500k isn't shit.
View Quote

It's a house and car
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:06:49 PM EDT
[#14]
He can get new, better step sisters that are happy to see him every day
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:07:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Pictures of stepmom?
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:07:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Whether true or not it still proves the point that friends you can choose but family you are stuck with.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:07:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, he can afford to move out immediately and have nothing more to do with the entitled fuckwads.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:07:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Poor’s doing Poor’s shit. Kid needs to haul anchor and run.

Also what is up with this Reddit shit.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:08:02 PM EDT
[#19]
NEVER tell people you have money… people can be resentful, jealous pieces of shit.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:08:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Although this could , quite possibly , be real....  I'm guessing its more fake Reddit bullshit
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:09:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/l6I8mJU__1_-92.gif
View Quote

Yes, this story is well beyond the realm of possibility.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:09:35 PM EDT
[#22]
What's with all this stupid as fuck reddit bullshit? If I wanted to read this shit I'd go over to that fucking cancerous site
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:09:46 PM EDT
[#23]
If this nonsense is real , then fuck them all the 17 year old gets it all as it was his mom. Tell them all to fuck off.

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:09:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Blended family dynamics can get tricky, and while some view their step-siblings as their blood relatives, others don't necessarily feel that bond.

That seems to be the case in this story about a 17-year-old who is set to receive a large inheritance from his late mother when he turns 18. Unfortunately, his father and stepmother recently found out about the money, and are now pressuring him to share it with his step-siblings.

"I, a 17-year-old male, will be coming into a large amount of money when I turn 18. This is money that my mom, who died when I was 7, and my maternal grandparents accumulated for me since I was born. I won't say the exact amount, but it's between $500K and $1 million."

"The reason it's that much is my grandparents ran a successful business for many years, and they sold it 18 months ago, and all money from that sale went to me. They kept none of it."

"My grandparents have control over all of it currently. Before my mom died, she left them in charge of the account where she was saving. She was married to my dad at the time, but had wanted to secure my future in case anything happened, like dad remarrying and having additional kids."

"She didn't want to run the risk that once she was gone, her money could be used for someone who wasn't her kid. My dad knew some money had been saved for me by mom, but was never aware of how much or little it was. He also had no idea my grandparents continued saving for me."

"My grandparents told me about the money over a year ago. They wanted me to prepare for my future and to know I would have so many options because of the money available to me."

"They also mentioned it never bringing back my mom, but could alleviate the burden of becoming an adult."

"So here's the deal. My dad did remarry. He has a stepdaughter (16) and a son (5) with his current wife."

"Eventually, I told him it wasn't going to be a big concern, and I told him about the money."

"He was like wtf, and then he told his wife, and they apparently went wtf together and told me that I could be gracious and split the money when I get it between the three of us, and give the other two a chance to have a decent helping hand with college."

"I told them I would not be sharing it because it was created by my family, not theirs. Dad's wife argued that it would be incredibly selfish to take such a large amount of money and blow it all on myself when I have two siblings who could also benefit in major ways from it."

"They are SO not happy with me. They told me that being selfish with this is not a good way to be. My dad is also pissed that he continued saving for me and dividing things equally between the three of us when I have so much I'll have access to in a few months. Am I the asshole?"

People rushed to the comments to weigh in, with user Artistic_Tough5005 writing: "Not the asshole. Their reaction is exactly why your mom set it up how she did!"

"She knew your dad and well enough to know the money would not be yours and used for children that are not hers."

"Not the asshole," user Outrageous_Shoe_1450 agreed. "For future reference, DON'T TELL ANYBODY ELSE ABOUT YOUR MONEY!"

"If it’s not already the case, open up a bank account at a different bank from the one your father uses," user lemon_charlie advised.

"No matter how you proceed, you need to protect the investment in your future your mother and grandparents have made because you know your father will want to access it."

"If Dad has put aside some money over the years and has, say, $50K in an account to pay for your college, I would see nothing wrong with shifting that $50K over to the other kids," user EnderBurger wrote, proposing a compromise.

"OP has half a million available, so OP's college is taken care of, and that $50K can be used to help the other kids."

Yikes. What do you think about this situation? Have you ever had a sticky situation involving inheritance money?

View Quote

The smartest move for that kid is immediately filingn for emancipation and getting away from that toxic environment.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:10:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Seconded.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:10:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/l6I8mJU__1_-92.gif

How?
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:11:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:12:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

For a 17 year old thats life changing money. But i forgot arf is full of billionaires.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Retarded
And 500k isn't shit.

No shit.

Let's say the kid spends half the money on hookers and blow (or simply wastes it on college).

Invest the remaining 250k in an IRA.

By the time he's 50, he'll have a nice retirement funded.

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:12:50 PM EDT
[#29]
If he is the sole beneficiary, then it is his money.

It really is as simple as that.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:12:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:14:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:14:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:15:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

We know that you can read reddit. We don't need to you to post this.

Site resources brah.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:18:33 PM EDT
[#34]
My brother and I got life insurance money when my dad died. It was put into a custodial account, because I was 12 at the time.  When I turned 18 I went to the bank to get it transferred to a new account that my mom didnt have access to.

Thats when I found out she had spent the majority of it. When I confronted her she told me that I had been paying rent and the phone bill for years.  That was news to me.

Probably part of the reason I barely speak to her any more….
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:19:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

There was one yesterday, too.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:19:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It's a house and car
View Quote

Where the fuck do you live and what the fuck do you drive?
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:20:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
NEVER tell people you have money… people can be resentful, jealous pieces of shit.
View Quote

Mom always told me that. I’ve forgotten it on a few occasions and have mentioned details of my investments to a few friends. Yes they do become resentful assholes. It’s oh so tiring.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:20:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Are the GD billionaires here yet talking about how this kid is a poor and that’s not a lot of money for his age? Asking for a friend.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:21:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

He needs to put the money in an investment account and enjoy his life.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:22:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Dad is a POS cuck for not standing up for his son.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:22:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Retarded
And 500k isn't shit.
View Quote
$500k is life changing at 18. Buy a house and reliable vehicle, and every cent of your adult salary can go toward wealth-building investments. You'll retire years earlier than your peers.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:24:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Made up garbage for clicks.  

Like all of these imaginary stories the answer is simple:
Give your step siblings a modest amount in a 529 plan to help them pay for education after high school and maybe payoff a fraction of dad's mortgage if he has one.  
If dad or stepmom complain then they clearly are just money grubbing schmucks.  

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:24:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Usual fake Reddit drama.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:25:24 PM EDT
[#44]
He doesn't owe anybody shit.

If he wants to help his step siblings say buy books for college or trade school, that's his business, but that kind of money ain't what it used to be.

He could get a decent house or start a small business, but he's still gonna have to be careful.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:25:31 PM EDT
[#45]
No matter how much he tries to help his half-siblings with, it will never be enough in their minds, and they will continue to resent him anyway.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:26:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Has he banged his stepsister yet? There some training videos on it I hear.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:26:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Kid should have kept his mouth shut..
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:27:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:28:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
All of it belongs to the kid.
View Quote

Yep. He’d be dishonoring his mom by going against her wishes.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:28:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Are the GD billionaires here yet talking about how this kid is a poor and that’s not a lot of money for his age? Asking for a friend.
View Quote

Half a million will barely get you anything these days
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top