Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:41:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:42:46 PM EDT
[#2]
if I was that kid, I'd laugh while I'm telling the step family to fuck off.

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:42:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Or he could just say "sure thing dad, I'll contribute a reasonable share to them when I get the money." Then when he turns 18 and the check has cleared: "I changed my mind. Wanna see my new bass boat?"
View Quote

(We really should sticky the Austrian Lottery thread.  Anyone got it handy?)

Making verbal agreements, or anything that looks like an agreement, when that kind of cash is at stake, is a decent way to get sued.  Now, he's a minor---insert "voidable, but not void" discussion here---but could his parents sue later to recoup any expenses they incurred in reliance upon these alleged statements?  I dunno.  

I would just think that cutting them off is going to sufficiently burn the bridge that the kid is not going to have a good time while still living there.  Shrug.  Way more effort than I wanted to put into a reddit post discussion today.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:44:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

(We really should sticky the Austrian Lottery thread.  Anyone got it handy?)

Making verbal agreements, or anything that looks like an agreement, when that kind of cash is at stake, is a decent way to get sued.  Now, he's a minor---insert "voidable, but not void" discussion here---but could his parents sue later to recoup any expenses they incurred in reliance upon these alleged statements?  I dunno.  

I would just think that cutting them off is going to sufficiently burn the bridge that the kid is not going to have a good time while still living there.  Shrug.  Way more effort than I wanted to put into a reddit post discussion today.
View Quote

A vague, verbal statement by a child is worth as much as the paper it's not printed on rofl.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:46:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If I want to read Reddit, I know how to get there.  I don't need you to repost it.
View Quote

WTF is up with all the recent re-posting of crap from Reddit....
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:46:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I left home and moved to a different state when I was 18. Some money would have really helped.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:51:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I want to read Reddit, I know how to get there.  I don't need you to repost it.

Posters are getting lazy.   Instead of making shit up, they use reddit now.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:54:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Does really like the typical fake look at me Reddit am I the asshole post.
View Quote

Yep. There is a lot of that there.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 7:01:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I’d put $50k in a trust fund for the other two siblings when they turn 18 and kept their nose clean.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 7:05:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's a house and car
View Quote

Well, it's a small apartment and an economy car, but I digress.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 7:05:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That’s what I was thinking…but at 18 it is a tidy starter sum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Retarded
And 500k isn't shit.

That's a good bit of money.

It's enough to pay for 4 years of instate public college, or any trade school in the country. Maybe even grad school at a quality public university. Buy a decent car to commute with and have some left over to put a down payment on a house once he's done with school.

It may not be life changing but it's enough to set him up for success for the rest of his life, which is what his mother wanted.

Plus he said it's more than $500k. Could be $700k or $800k also.

He shouldn't have to share it with his siblings as long as he's going to use it wisely.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 7:05:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll take things that never happened for $500 Ken.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 7:05:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like he should find a reasonable apartment at 18 and move out and go to college.....
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 7:11:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Pictures of stepmom?
View Quote

Damn I love GD.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 7:19:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Lucky bastard.

Kid's easily sitting on $18 million if he plays his cards right.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 7:20:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Retarded
And 500k isn't shit.
View Quote

Wrong, at least for an 18 year old.

If invested conservatively that will easily secure his retirement. He may not be smart enough to do that, but it’s certainly possible. Knowing you can retire comfortably at a reasonable age is worth a lot.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 7:21:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

For a 17 year old thats life changing money. But i forgot arf is full of billionaires.
View Quote

I agree it’s a dumb take.

Even for me at almost 40 it’s a good amount of money. Not exactly life changing, but 500k in additional investments would make retirement more comfortable.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 7:23:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Imagine a face palm here if Subnet hadn’t screwed up the memes.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 7:25:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

He needs to put the money in an investment account and enjoy his life.
View Quote

This is what I would tell him to do. He could most likely retire at 50 without much effort at all.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 7:26:23 PM EDT
[#20]
That money belongs to the kid, not his step sibling or half sibling, and it doesn't belong to his dad or his stepmother either.

Dad and Stepmom are assholes in this case.  Be glad your ex thought to do something like that, help him invest it wisely, and keep your fucking hands off of it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 7:30:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Retarded
And 500k isn't shit.
View Quote

L

A half million (if this stupid drama isn’t fake) is enough to buy a house outright and have enough left over to pay property taxes for several years while the kid gets on his feet.  One could afford a reliable vehicle if he didn’t have rent or a mortgage and not even have to touch what’s left over after buying the house.

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 7:49:21 PM EDT
[#22]
He shouldn’t give the step siblings jack shit and they don’t deserve it, and the father is an asshole for even asking/telling him.

This may be made up, but it isn’t uncommon, it somewhat happened to me. My Dad (dead) literally told me I should leave everything I have to his illegitimate kid, while saying he (the dad) wasn’t leaving me anything, and after he died we found out he had been withdrawing money from our deceased grandparents estate for “expenses” (which was allowed) and parking the money elsewhere. He literally took every dime of gains over the course of 8yrs (you know, when the stock market has increased a lot.)

He and his wife likely didn’t give a shit because I have more money than them, but he royally fucked over my cousins.

In the end, no matter what you think of your parent, the current spouse (and their protection of their children) will likely trump you. When it comes to money, trust no one.

I feel sorry for the kid in the original post, bad position.

Quoted:
Retarded
And 500k isn't shit.
View Quote

At 18 it is. That kid could park the money in investments and he would have a huge jump on a majority of people even in their middle age. Go get a job/education and act like the money doesn’t exist unless it’s a legitimate emergency. He would have a pile in 20-30yrs if it was invested wisely. Shit, even take a bit of the gains in a good year and go travel a bit.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 9:27:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Half a million will barely get you anything these days
View Quote

User name checks out.

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 9:30:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

User name checks out.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

User name checks out.

I have a structured settlement and I need cash now.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 9:31:30 PM EDT
[#25]
I wish I had that problem.  I have 2 step siblings and my mother died years ago.  But nobody saved anything for me.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 9:33:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

It will buy you a home in a decent neighborhood.  If you can live rural and work online it will buy you a home and a vehicle.  Starting life with a place to live and transportation and zero debt at age 18 is fucking HUGE.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 9:35:55 PM EDT
[#27]
500 gs invested at 18 until 59 with a 6 percent return is worth around 4.5 mill at 59.   You could put that money away and never contribute to a 401k or ira again and retire early.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 9:39:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What do some of you people have against sharing and generosity? This kid didn't work for it or do anything to earn his fortune, it's being given to him. If that was me I would absolutely share some of it with my immediate family. First thing I would do is take the family on a nice vacation, nice dinners and stuff like that. Buy everybody new clothes and shoes and help with whatever they need. After that I'd probably be reinvesting a lot of what's left. I agree with the parents that it would be selfish not to help, but if it's his money and he can choose selfishness or generosity, entirely up to him and if he has any character.
View Quote

Being generous is different than being demanded to be generous
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 9:44:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Oh look! Another shit that never happened made up drama story.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/l6I8mJU__1_-92.gif
View Quote

You would think. My dad left my mom a comparable sum when he passed 20 years ago. She dated someone after that. He was a somewhat prestigious attorney, but had no money due to his lifestyle. He would not agree to a prenup, as my mom did not want him to have access to that money. She was working so contributed financially on her own without those funds. He ejected posthaste and married a sugar momma. But she felt the same as the mom in OP's story. That money was left to her, and someday to my brothers and I, as thats why my dad had life insurance (he was only 51). Wasnt for her next husband and stepkids who were in HS and college.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 9:45:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Retarded
And 500k isn't shit.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 9:48:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
I read the first few lines

Leave and never come back. Its not their money
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 9:49:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
It probably is fake, still do not give anyone your money

Lesson learned.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 10:47:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Posting that crap should be a ban able offense.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 10:53:01 PM EDT
[#34]
We need a Reddit repost forum.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 12:32:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Does the writer of that post know the difference between sentences and paragraphs? That type of writing makes me very angry.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 12:42:14 AM EDT
[#36]
I just wonder why I’m not on the receiving end of these big inheritance???

I guess I did have a chance once or twice. I got a savings bond from my grandmother. It was a$100. But at 8% interest. “F”ed that one up and spent it on a bill.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:03:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Kid said it’s between 500k to 1 million, let’s say it’s 750k.  If it were me, I would tell dad to keep the 50k he had saved since I was set, and ask him to respect his late wife’s wishes.  Sounds like he will be 18 and graduating soon anyway.  Just tough it out until then and move out immediately.  If it were me, I would:

- get a decent used car - nothing fancy, but reliable.
- move out of state, go to college.  
- get a financial advisor to help set up that money.
- invest it where it will earn money while in school.  
- buy a condo to live in, rent out the other rooms - live off that income while in school.  

No reason not to have over a million at the end of 6 years (bachelor’s and master’s).   Played right, he could easily not have to work, just keep investing and living frugally.  After a decade, he could live like a king.

Hopefully the money was set up in a secure trust fund that will be impossible for the father to access and is lawsuit proof.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:21:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:57:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:58:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:59:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:06:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Retarded
And 500k isn't shit.
View Quote

Can you spot me some “isnt shit?”
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 3:37:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI

These AITAH threads are cancer. Some community college freshman creative writing project

Fake and gay
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 3:53:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Retarded
And 500k isn't shit.
View Quote

Spent wisely that would be a college education and a substantial down payment on a house which would free up more for 401k contributions.  $500k would be a huge help at a good start and way more than most kids get to build the foundation for a good life.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 4:18:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Why are people jumping the OP for c/p'ing a reddit post? How is it any different than posting a tweet?

Also, GTFO with the whole "$500k ain't shit" line. Even Elon Musk or a Saudi Prince would bend over to pick up $500k off the ground.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 4:37:48 AM EDT
[#46]
I'd tell Dad to give the other kids the money he saved if he's gonna be a bitch about it. Then I'd buy a house and move out.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 6:16:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It's a house and car
View Quote

Car could be near worthless in 7 years.

If the kid gets some good investing advice and treats the money almost like it doesn't exist, this is a golden opportunity. Bit he still needs to build a career as if he never inherited anything. Difference is, he could retire earlier than usual if he plans well.

He owes the "siblings" precisely $0.00.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 6:34:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

L

A half million (if this stupid drama isn’t fake) is enough to buy a house outright and have enough left over to pay property taxes for several years while the kid gets on his feet.  One could afford a reliable vehicle if he didn’t have rent or a mortgage and not even have to touch what’s left over after buying the house.

View Quote

Only a Ramsey Fudd would take a large sum of cash and buy a house of substantial value outright, especially at a historically bad time.

??

Would be different if he had the savvy and skills to flip houses at a profit. An 18 year old doesn't need a house anyway. If we partially restore America in Nov, interest rates and prices will start to return to Earth.  Kid needs to find a trusted professional financial advisor for a large portion of the take. Parents and siblings are not to be trusted, and he probably has no connections in the financial world, so it's a tough situation. But he shouldn't consume or tie up most of it for a long time.

It may already be too late for him to earn a scholarship if he hasn't already, but he can park basically all of it in a high yield ~5% savings account until he has a plan mapped out.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 6:57:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Is reddit full of people that like to talk smack about other people's problems? Like they don't have enough problems of their own they go out to find somebody else's problems to bitch about? LOL

Answer is simple.
Mr 17YO, go. Enjoy life. Take the money and run. Those people who you might call family? They AREN'T. If they were, they would be happy for you. They would give you positive reinforcement and assist you in using that money to make YOUR future better, which it was intended to do. YOU are not the selfish one, THEY are. Selfish because they want what you have. Get away from them fast as you can. Don't look back.

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 7:52:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Once the kid tells his grandparents about the situation they will not be giving him the money.

They will set up a trust or give it to him when he is more mature.

And this story is probably as fake as all the GD multi-millionaires constantly bragging to strangers for some odd reason.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top