Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 8:08:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Why is freedom so scary? If a business wants to cater to nasty smokers that should be their prerogative, and yours not to visit them
View Quote

You can’t like what I don’t like.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 8:19:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 8:28:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Tard posting should be illegal too.
View Quote
GD would be silent.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 8:59:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah but no!
Fuck me breathing in your second hand smoke.
My father subjected me to that for almost seventeen years.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:03:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Having non smoking
And
Cancer sections were the days.

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 9:54:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm personally convinced that on average, folks are way less smart or sharp or cognitive these days, now that smoking is essentially illegal. It's not a popular topic for obvious reasons, but one can search pubmed and see the countless instances where it's been shown that nicotine has many cognitive benefits. One of the sharpest dude's I've ever known, that was my wife's coworker, and specialized in biochem matters, wore nicotine patches when at work.

And beyond the cognitive benefits for most "normal" people, many research papers demonstrate its benefits for those with schizophrenia or schizophrenia-like illnesses. And all jokes aside, IMO when more of the sick were self medicating, it seemed to me like way fewer people in general were as nuts as they are today.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I'm personally convinced that on average, folks are way less smart or sharp or cognitive these days, now that smoking is essentially illegal. It's not a popular topic for obvious reasons, but one can search pubmed and see the countless instances where it's been shown that nicotine has many cognitive benefits. One of the sharpest dude's I've ever known, that was my wife's coworker, and specialized in biochem matters, wore nicotine patches when at work.

And beyond the cognitive benefits for most "normal" people, many research papers demonstrate its benefits for those with schizophrenia or schizophrenia-like illnesses. And all jokes aside, IMO when more of the sick were self medicating, it seemed to me like way fewer people in general were as nuts as they are today.

Well I'm glad you are personally convinced but actual facts would tend to disagree with you.

Tobacco use was significantly more common among individuals with a history of criminal justice involvement compared with individuals with no criminal justice involvement, and disparities increased over time

In 2016, tobacco use prevalence was more than two times higher among individuals with a history of criminal justice involvement

Individuals with a history of criminal justice involvement who smoked reported a significantly earlier age of cigarette initiation, more cigarettes used per day, and higher levels of nicotine dependence and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

https://ascpjournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13722-019-0131-y

And for the record... most crimes are down since public smoking was banned indoors. Even with the 2020/2021 uptick, it's still lower than 2006.

Facts good, baseless assumptions bad.

Some people smoke as 'self-medication' to ease feelings of stress. However, research has shown that smoking actually increases anxiety and tension.

https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/explore-mental-health/a-z-topics/smoking-and-mental-health#:~:text=Some%20people%20smoke%20as%20
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 4:13:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 5:47:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, it was better back then, despite the indoor smoking.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 5:51:29 AM EDT
[#9]
It was better when that was allowed.

It wasn't because it was allowed.

Link Posted: 5/22/2023 3:59:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 4:03:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 4:07:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 4:49:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It definitively was.

Why do you hate freedom?
View Quote

It isn't freedom when some jackass is shitting on the health of others.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 4:53:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Should be up to private businesses if they want to allow it or not

I don't want to smell your big diesel passenger  truck  so lets get the government involved to make them illegal
View Quote

So you are saying it should be idling the trucks indoors? Have you ever heard of carbon monoxide poisoning?
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 4:59:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Such drama

It was fine
View Quote

Really, causing lung disease and emphysema, are OK? That is just retarded.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 6:03:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

No fat chicks back then.

Since smoking ended fat cows are everywhere.

It’s science.
View Quote

The only girls I see smoking now are fat nasty trashy bitches. They must be out eating the cigarettes effects.

With the extra cost put on the healthcare system that the rest of us have to shoulder I’m not buying that it doesn’t just burden the smokers.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 6:09:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Bingo
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope.

You want to stink up your house and car? More power to you. But I shouldn't have to be subjected to your stench.

I don't want to smell your big diesel passenger  truck  so lets get the government involved to make them illegal

Bingo

I should also be able to tell my health insurance company that I don't want them spending money to treat smokers for lung cancer either but hey just fuck everyone else is a nice motto to have.

If a businesses let people smoke inside they would lose at least one customer.  I hate walking past the smoking areas outside much less be subjected to it inside.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 6:14:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It definitively was.

Why do you hate freedom?
View Quote

Smoking indoors isn't about freedom.  It inflicted the unhealthy choices of the fool who smoked on those around them with no choice for the nonsmoker other than being pushed to the corner of a restaurant that was still a stinking shit hole.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 6:15:36 AM EDT
[#19]

Humm...gay bars seem to be included.....

(Not sure if this post was before or after the InBev fuckup or not)
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 6:27:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yeah but no!
Fuck me breathing in your second hand smoke.
My father subjected me to that for almost seventeen years.
View Quote

same here
and then watching him die from it was pretty awesome too.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 6:29:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dude, nicotine use is going full throttle with Gen Z.....and they aren't the brightest bunch.

Everyone vapes now, but nobody is any smarter because of it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 6:36:04 AM EDT
[#22]
OP is right, This country was better when smoking indoors was allowed. But it has nothing to do with the smoking indoors part, the country was just better back then. And it was even better before that. And that. And that...

So yeah, "The country was better when smoking was allowed indoors." Is technically correct. Which is the best kind of correct.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 7:01:36 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm just barely old enough to remember the smoking section in restaurants. I don't smoke or chew but I'm not convinced that replacing cigarettes with a 4000+ calorie a day diet really made us healthier.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 7:03:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Dude, nicotine use is going full throttle with Gen Z.....and they aren't the brightest bunch.

Everyone vapes now, but nobody is any smarter because of it.
View Quote

That's because those are not nicotine vapes dude.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 7:10:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yes.  It was better. Except for the indoor smoking.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/22/2023 7:13:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Smoking indoors never bothered me.  The last time I rented a car, it reeked of marijuana though.  It was so strong, I had to roll the windows down.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 7:28:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Oh hell no!   I grew up w/ a dad who smoked.   Everything reeked of it.   He smoked in the house.  He smoked in the car.   He got pissed off if I cracked the window in the winter because I needed to be able to breathe.    I don't care if someone smokes, but I enjoy the relatively clean air w/o a bunch of smokers always lit up.  On the other hand if it's their property they should be able to smoke all they want.  I just wouldn't go there.
View Quote

I had one friend in elementary school whose family I did a lot of stuff with. Her dad smoked like a chimney. Her dad always got pissed in the car when I would crack a window in back to get some relief from the smoke.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 7:31:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 7:38:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The real question is which is grosser, a woman smoker or a woman covered in tats.  I'll take the tats any day over a trashy smoker.
View Quote

It’s like choosing between cancer and hepatitis.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 7:40:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope.

You want to stink up your house and car? More power to you. But I shouldn't have to be subjected to your stench.

100% agree.
It should be 100% up to the business.
Fuck the government and their "rules". You're as free as whatever laws you're willing to break...
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 7:46:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It definitively was.

Why do you hate freedom?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Geezers have ruined it with their pearl clutching.

No, it wasn't better when smoking was allowed. It is like tear gas and the whole place stank.

Smoke whatever you want. Just don't inflict it on others.

It definitively was.

Why do you hate freedom?
People should be able to smoke weed, crack, and meth indoors too. Right next to your family.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 7:50:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I dont smoke. But i also dont support the government telling people what to do. Apparently the last bastion of freedom here is all for government control of private businesses.
View Quote
Do you supports trannies in the bathroom/locker room with your pre-teen daughters?
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 7:51:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Smokers are stupid
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 7:55:56 AM EDT
[#34]
I blame most of the world's problems on the Texas Rangers baseball team.  

Prior to 1971 when the Rangers were still the Washington Senators life was far far better.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 7:56:32 AM EDT
[#35]
I remember the melted trashcans, ashes all over the cube, the stale smoky odor when you came in in the morning.
I don't miss any of that, except the trashcan fires.  They really made the afternoons exciting.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 7:58:58 AM EDT
[#36]
OP, pull my finger!
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 8:01:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Uh...no.  It's nice to be able to go out to a restaurant, store, or any other business....and not walk out smelling like an ashtray.

Link Posted: 5/22/2023 8:04:06 AM EDT
[#38]
This country was better when we had polio, but I would not assign causality to that relationship.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 8:04:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Do you supports trannies in the bathroom/locker room with your pre-teen daughters?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I dont smoke. But i also dont support the government telling people what to do. Apparently the last bastion of freedom here is all for government control of private businesses.

No. That’s a private businesses decision though, just as it’s an individual’s decision to not support that business.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 8:04:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Fuck no it wasn't!   I remember that "smokers rights" shit all too well!   Fuck all you goddamn smokers, polluting everyone's air with your foul shit.  I remember, and resent to this day, all of your foul, dangerous shit I had to breathe into order to work.   I hope all you smokers freeze to death standing outside for your fix.
That's one thing the liberals got right - banning all that shit.  In restaurants, at work.   Fuck you!   It pisses me off just remembering all the shit I had to go through everywhere because of you foul, disgusting, selfish people.  Fuck you again!
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 8:05:47 AM EDT
[#41]
You mean back when men were men and didn't bitch about silly shit?
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 8:06:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 8:12:08 AM EDT
[#43]
It is kind of incredible how smoking has been eliminated from society.  I routinely go weeks or months without seeing a person smoking in public.  To go from smoking sections in restaurants to banned in public places in a single generation.

That didn't happen solely due to government influence, but the govt propaganda about secondhand smoke probably had a big part of it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 8:16:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 8:22:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The non-smokers wanted a cake. Bake that cake you cigarette puffing bigot!!!
View Quote

This is essentially true. It was the tipover point for Americans to become responsible for their neighbor's comfort. I don't smoke and would lose my shit if someone lit up inside my house, but I never minded it in public places. The business owner should be able to decide on allowing smoking or not. Although we've seen that businesses will cave to any vocal minority, so it would happen anyway.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 8:22:54 AM EDT
[#46]
I should be able to walk buck naked in front of your family in Public.

If not then you hate freedom

/GD logic
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 8:30:14 AM EDT
[#47]
So you're addicted to something that will most likely aid in killing you and you want to share this with the public, put them at risk so you can pacify your addiction.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 8:37:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I should be able to walk buck naked in front of your family in Public.

If not then you hate freedom

/GD logic
View Quote

Apples/oranges.

Let’s try apples/apples.

You take your family to a nudist beach, knowing it was a nudist beach, I don’t care if your husband has to look at my brown eye.

You know, kinda like you choose to take your family to a restaurant with a smoking section(plenty never had any smoking sections). Then be muh’ outraged by what others are doing.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 8:41:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Tard posting should be illegal too.
View Quote

THIS
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 8:41:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
And before women could vote
View Quote

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top