BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:22:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good for them.
They realized they were in over their head and took the steps to get on a path of financial responsibility and freedom.
And paid off their obligations instead of just filing bankruptcy.

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:24:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Good for them.
They realized they were in over their head and took the steps to get on a path of financial responsibility and freedom.

View Quote

Yeah, some here will laugh at this to.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:29:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
That's the biggest shed I ever saw. It's literally the size of a house.
View Quote

Yup.

HD near us had some 2 story sheds but they're $12-15k and under 200SF on the footprint.

The one they built would've made for an awesome air-bnb.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:31:55 AM EDT
[#4]
They'll come and inspect it if you tell them you're building it is about all here. As a shed they'd do two inspections for the foundation, a form and a finish. Then two for the building, rough and finish. I think they want a plot plan before you start too. Which is kinda nice if there's any pipe line or whatever under ground you might want to avoid, flood zone, easements etc. It doesn't cost much fifty bucks or so, here anyways.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:32:17 AM EDT
[#5]

My wife and I’s first apartment was 750sq feet downtown. Those sheds would be a breeze
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:33:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Who the hell they trying to kid? That ain't no shed.A lot of Americans live in homes that size. People were living in slab homes right after the war, my folks did. The problem is people nowadays think they have to have some damn mansion. In the town where I live there are quite a few homes smaller than that. Too many are simply living beyond their means.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:33:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I admit I've walked around one of those and thought it would make a kickass mountain house.
View Quote

I checked one out and thought it would make a cool bar / man cave. Like this, only bigger.
Tour of my PubShed. #pubshed, #backyardbar, #mancave, #mybar ,
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:33:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah bc just anyone can afford to pay $9k+/mo in rent/mortgage payments.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:34:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
And it passed code inspection?
View Quote

The only permit needed for my house was the septic tank.  It's nice living in America.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:34:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I’d like to have a small house like that.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:35:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Good for them.  Hope nobody comes along and tells them they can't do that.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:37:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'd like to have a small house like that.
View Quote
#metoo

something like this would be perfect.

Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:39:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Good for them.  Hope nobody comes along and tells them they can't do that.
View Quote

I think you guys missed the part where they sold the shed house and built a new house on a new property. They only lived there a year or two.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:43:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I admit I've walked around one of those and thought it would make a kickass mountain house.
View Quote

I live in a decent 2000 sq ft house i built from the ground up myself. Served it's role well raising my family. I am here alone now. I've honestly thought the same as you checking out some of those. If i had  a 3000 sq ft shop or barn on a new property, i could easily live in a modified HD shed. I like build stuff anyway.

My youngest  brother built him and his new wife a starter home after he and his first wife divorced. 1100 sq ft. I loved the layout. He picked a great floor plan, but he is a smart fucker. Fairly large living room with adjoining kitchen. Two smaller bedrooms with a shared bath and master with it's own bath. We helped him black it in while he rented an apartment. Also helped him with wiring, rock and plumbing, but he did the balance by himself.

I'd love to magically lift that little house and set it on a 50 acre plot. Add a wrap around porch, a new, pretty woman and I'd be happy as a clam.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:43:45 AM EDT
[#15]
82k worth of debt free? Two new cars, a new house, 40k land, a shed and a camper, and debt free was only 82k??

What am I missing here?
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:46:19 AM EDT
[#16]

Big piece of property, lil shed, lil tight ass yoga instructor
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:47:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Home Depot used to sell a mini barn. I think it was around 1200 square feet. My wife and I looked into turning one into a house back around 2011.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:47:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why do you hate freedom.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:47:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I am in the south never seen a 2 story shed at home depot.
View Quote

All the ones around here have them. And they're just like the one in the article. They're actually quite nice for what they are. I don't think I'd ever live in one (hopefully my life never comes to that), but as a hunting lodge or weekend hunting cabin or something of that sort? Yeah, it'd be awesome.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:53:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Big piece of property, lil shed, lil tight ass yoga instructor
View Quote
sir, the fugitive yoga teacher is 5'8" and therefore not little.

5'8" is a bit short for me but we'll make it work somehow.

i work with a shitload of tiny girls in that 5'nothing to 5'3.5" range and they hate tall, sexy women.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:55:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:55:28 AM EDT
[#22]

I like the design but those concrete columns look awful skinny to hold up conex boxes.

That design begs for a deck where the steps are.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:57:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So I guess the moral of this story is to be irresponsible and live beyond your means, but if you do this according to this TikTok video, all will be forgiven and everything will be okay?
View Quote

But it got 2 million views!
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:59:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I like the design but those concrete columns look awful skinny to hold up conex boxes.

View Quote
10-4

help me design that cabin.

it's just a random pic i found on the google machine.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 10:18:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Shipping containers are fools gold.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 10:19:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Same size home that i have in the mountains....love it..low taxes...
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 10:21:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
sir, the fugitive yoga teacher is 5'8" and therefore not little.

5'8" is a bit short for me but we'll make it work somehow.

i work with a shitload of tiny girls in that 5'nothing to 5'3.5" range and they hate tall, sexy women.
View Quote

I'm 6'1"
Shes tiny to me.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 10:22:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

860 square feet isn't bad for a couple, even with a couple small kids.  People forget those 1950's single floor ranch homes with 3 bedrooms and one bath that were about that size.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A Georgia couple gave up a 2,000-square-foot home for an 860-square-foot Home Depot shed.

860 square feet isn't bad for a couple, even with a couple small kids.  People forget those 1950's single floor ranch homes with 3 bedrooms and one bath that were about that size.  

I have a beach house that size and we love it.

Less to clean.

Less shit to go wrong.

I can see the appeal.

Of course all my toys don't fit there.

Link Posted: 7/17/2022 10:24:26 AM EDT
[#29]
My first house was 925 sq. ft. of living space 3 bedroom 1 bath house. My wife and I lived there for almost 10 years. Probably would still live there if we had been smarter. Having two kids now it would be cramped but doable. We pay for our new house just fine. But I'd honestly down grade and gain some money back if I had my way.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 10:25:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Hell yes, that would make a great hunting lodge or guest house.
View Quote

A guy I worked with did that in Winchester, Tn. Made a really nice little cabin. Put in a second smaller one next  to the cabin to house a generator and keep his 4 wheeler and tool box in.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 10:30:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Seriously? Who gives a shit. It's a shed they chose to live out of.
View Quote
What kind of code enforcement do homeless people have to deal with? Isn't living in a shed better than people being homeless? Government needs to fuck off.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 10:31:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

You are in Florida, most likely the hurricane building codes don't allow them.  I have seen this exact shed at HD in Mobile...
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 10:38:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That's the biggest shed I ever saw. It's literally the size of a house.
View Quote

Came here to post this.  I think the concept is neat but that was not a normal home depot shed.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 11:08:52 AM EDT
[#34]
What's the definition of Tiny Home?  I don't know that I'd even call 860sf a tiny home.  My first apartment was 900 sf, and it was pretty good size.  There are lots of single family homes, and condos that are approximately 800 sf that sell for a shit ton of money around here.

Link Posted: 7/17/2022 11:13:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Fake news, they aren’t really “sheds”. They’re more like framed and sheathed small houses.  Some are two story.  You just have to finish them. I’m sure they spent plenty more finishing it out to code.  Story is a “feel good” article that omits major details that would turn it into “Couple buys prefab house and flips it.”  Power of presstitution.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

They’re not really sheds, they’re small houses that come framed and sheathed with a few basic windows.  You can add a few things for an up-charge but you finish them out yourself.  $14-$18000 here.  We looked into putting one in our backyard.  They’re built by a “shed” company to order but, they’re houses.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 11:45:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Timing is everything in real estate
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 11:55:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Good for them.

View Quote

This is how I see it.

Took grit and determination and a good attitude.

I applaud them.  

(Provided they did NOT declare bankruptcy)
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 11:59:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Me too. Buy some undeveloped property, plop that down, make it nice like he did and find a way to make it off grid.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 12:06:06 PM EDT
[#40]
I seriously doubt anyone is meeting hurricane code in one of those without spending some serious money and submitting engineering plans for a dwelling.  

Seems more like a discreet project they get away with on their grandpa’s land by calling it a shed.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 12:07:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh God. We got one.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 1:11:18 PM EDT
[#42]
I will be doing something like this in the next few years, I am in a three bedroom house currently and my kids are all grown so I really am wanting to downsize.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 1:13:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I will be doing something like this in the next few years, I am in a three bedroom house currently and my kids are all grown so I really am wanting to downsize.
View Quote

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/AMA-Sold-Most-of-Our-Possessions-and-Moved-Into-a-Van-/5-2424456/  
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 1:42:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

I haven't really looked in a while, but probably 7 or 8 years ago, I was looking at the various Lowes and Home Depots in my area.  Home Depots tended to have a wider selection in their parking lot (Lowes tended more toward the basic sheds to put your riding mower in), and the selection varied from store to store.  

Biggest I saw and was able to walk around in at a Home Depot parking lot, was a two story 16x16.  Extensive use of OSB (didn't seem to use plywood, at all) and used engineered beams for the upstairs floor joists (to get rid of the need for a support column in the middle of the room downstairs).

I later heard that they were having problems with having to chase people out of them (homeless sleeping in them at night, apparently), and some of the stores seem to have removed the sheds from their parking lots, or at least gotten rid of the larger ones.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

They've been here for years, and I know at least one or two being used for houses locally. Hell, there's one about half that size that someone's living in just down the road.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 1:55:16 PM EDT
[#46]
A place south of me is knocking out "tiny' homes which are selling well enough to keep them busy.  They're using cedar and enough of it that you can't find any cedar lumber in the area.   I've heard 60K-80K is the average price.

Link Posted: 7/17/2022 2:03:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fuck the government telling us how to live.

Out here we have no building permits unless for some reason you want to.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 2:28:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Not that long ago in the US there would be a family of eight living in something like that and they would be the envy of their neighbors!
They got in over their heads, realized it and took steps to rectify, probably built up a nice nest egg while living there.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 2:38:38 PM EDT
[#49]

Bubbles ain’t got no troubles…
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 2:44:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

in some rural areas where people have camps, there is no code
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top