BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 8:39:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you're really really rural, sure. But the tax man cometh for your shed now because you had to get you some 'views'. If you'd kept your mouth shut, you'd have been able to keep enjoying it.

It's just a matter of time now before you see people renting sheds in their yards to people. Then none of will be able to have a shed, at least not without 'inspections' to make sure that there's no income.

Fuck, this country is swirling in the toilet. We're not free at all, and it happened at the local level.
View Quote

Saw a couple of camper trailers in urban backyards on local AirBNB. Had to wonder about utility hookups and permits.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 8:43:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Guess how everyone who lives in a rural area knows that you don't? ??
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And it passed code inspection?

Guess how everyone who lives in a rural area knows that you don't? ??

Link Posted: 7/18/2022 8:44:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

860 square feet isn't bad for a couple, even with a couple small kids.  People forget those 1950's single floor ranch homes with 3 bedrooms and one bath that were about that size.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A Georgia couple gave up a 2,000-square-foot home for an 860-square-foot Home Depot shed.

860 square feet isn't bad for a couple, even with a couple small kids.  People forget those 1950's single floor ranch homes with 3 bedrooms and one bath that were about that size.  

My first single-family house was a 728 square foot post-WW2 2 bedroom. Actually, a nice little house, decently built, not one of the cardboard box houses built by the thousands in the same era.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 8:45:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I’m halfway through a shed based cabin build. 350 sqft plus two lofts and 16’ x 12’ deck.  Build details are in the outdoor forum.  It’s going to cost me right at $80k when complete and I’m doing it very high end.  Eg copper surround and commercial spa shower, etc

Like most people said outside city limits there are no building codes here.   However, if you want to connect to the grid for electricity, you will have to get an electrical inspection.   I’m a couple miles from the road so it’s cheaper for me to do solar than run electrical and give an easement to power company.  

State wide in TN there is a permit required for wells and septic but several builders seemed to just ignore it.  I’m doing rainwater collection and using an incinerator toilet so I don’t need either anyway.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 8:51:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I live in a decent 2000 sq ft house i built from the ground up myself. Served it's role well raising my family. I am here alone now. I've honestly thought the same as you checking out some of those. If i had  a 3000 sq ft shop or barn on a new property, i could easily live in a modified HD shed. I like build stuff anyway.

My youngest  brother built him and his new wife a starter home after he and his first wife divorced. 1100 sq ft. I loved the layout. He picked a great floor plan, but he is a smart fucker. Fairly large living room with adjoining kitchen. Two smaller bedrooms with a shared bath and master with it's own bath. We helped him black it in while he rented an apartment. Also helped him with wiring, rock and plumbing, but he did the balance by himself.

I'd love to magically lift that little house and set it on a 50 acre plot. Add a wrap around porch, a new, pretty woman and I'd be happy as a clam.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I admit I've walked around one of those and thought it would make a kickass mountain house.

I live in a decent 2000 sq ft house i built from the ground up myself. Served it's role well raising my family. I am here alone now. I've honestly thought the same as you checking out some of those. If i had  a 3000 sq ft shop or barn on a new property, i could easily live in a modified HD shed. I like build stuff anyway.

My youngest  brother built him and his new wife a starter home after he and his first wife divorced. 1100 sq ft. I loved the layout. He picked a great floor plan, but he is a smart fucker. Fairly large living room with adjoining kitchen. Two smaller bedrooms with a shared bath and master with it's own bath. We helped him black it in while he rented an apartment. Also helped him with wiring, rock and plumbing, but he did the balance by himself.

I'd love to magically lift that little house and set it on a 50 acre plot. Add a wrap around porch, a new, pretty woman and I'd be happy as a clam.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 8:59:19 AM EDT
[#6]
How the the House Inspection work for a shed being sold as a home?
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 9:03:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I like the design but those concrete columns look awful skinny to hold up conex boxes.

That design begs for a deck where the steps are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I like the design but those concrete columns look awful skinny to hold up conex boxes.

That design begs for a deck where the steps are.

Depends on soil conditions. But, even for decks, current code requires a "mushroom foot" on columns. Cardboard ("sonotube") forms with the foot area are available. Those look like 12" columns which would probably be adequate for the load.

I made my own forms for a deck that also had to support part of the house roof. I augured 24" holes 4' deep, then I cut of the bottom of 55 gallon steel drums, cut a 16" hole in the bottom surface, put those pieces upside down in the bottom of the holes, then cut the bottoms out of 16" diameter grease barrels and put those on top of the larger drum pieces. Poured full of concrete, I ended up with 16" columns with 24" diameter "foot".
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 9:10:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So the base cost is $25K. Conservatively, they had to add at least $20K stuff on top of it so really it was at least 45K.

In that price range, one can get many campers, buses, class A, class C trailers.. completely done and plug and play.

But they rode the real estate wave, which up to a certain point meant everything is going up and appreciating.

calling it a shed is just click-bait.

View Quote

Correct about campers, etc. But hard to get anything that is going to be livable in freezing temperature areas. Easier to insulate a shed/house.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 9:11:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

You don't *have* to have a home inspection to sell a home. If you're borrowing a lender might require one but the lender's appraiser would notice any major problems that would imperil the loan.

If you're not borrowing, it's definitely not required. Just as long as you go into the deal with full knowledge of the risks.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 9:16:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That's the biggest shed I ever saw. It's literally the size of a house.
View Quote

Yeah, I just constructed a 750ish sq foot cabin.  It's quite large.  Much larger than I had in my head planning it out.   That's a HUGE "shed".
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 9:20:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 9:21:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

IMO, the "inspection" game has been promoted by realtors to distance themselves from any possible comebacks from buyers. And the inspectors themselves have no liability for anything they might miss.

As another poster said. inspection is not mandatory. If one doesn't know jack about building construction, get your BIL's cousin the electrician/plumber to do a walk through.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 9:27:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 9:46:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Pretty neat.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 9:48:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Face it south, looks like it would fit about 1KW of solar on the first roof. Put a small battery bank in a box on the porch, controllers and inverter inside.

Downside- those frickin Mansard roofs...  I get it, good utilization of space, but they are ugliest frickin roof styles!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Face it south, looks like it would fit about 1KW of solar on the first roof. Put a small battery bank in a box on the porch, controllers and inverter inside.

Downside- those frickin Mansard roofs...  I get it, good utilization of space, but they are ugliest frickin roof styles!

Agreed, they're ugly. OK on a real barn but for a "house" with living space, may just as well have vertical walls and a conventional gable roof. Plus, the possibility of more windows.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 9:54:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yeah. People are great for getting in debt, but usually suck at getting out.
Not sure why this story would get anything other than a...  
I swear, some folks would read a story about a former drunk who'd been sober for 10 years and call him a "quitter".

View Quote
True.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 9:58:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

My first single-family house was a 728 square foot post-WW2 2 bedroom. Actually, a nice little house, decently built, not one of the cardboard box houses built by the thousands in the same era.
View Quote
I rented a house once in my younger years that was that type. All the rooms
opened to a small room in the center that had an oil heater. Near the ceiling
were openings that allowed the heat to flow to the other rooms. The house was
built like a tank.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 9:59:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
And it passed code inspection?
View Quote

aint no code inspection out in the sticks, bub
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 11:57:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Curious. I looked on Tuff Shed's website, and HD. Could not find the 2-story "shed" mentioned in the OP. Anybody have a link?
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 12:13:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Some places like metro areas have a city certificate of occupancy inspection. It's usually a quick once-over on the electrical, plumbing, HVAC, roofing, siding, general shape of the place. Most mortgage or insurance inspections aren't much more. Then the buyer may place a contingency on the purchase agreement giving them time to hire their own inspector and the option to back out if they are not happy with the results. That one potentially is the most in depth inspection depending on who you hire. Inspections wouldn't be a problem if everything is in good shape and properly done.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top