Link Posted: 9/23/2020 7:12:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Meh. 5160 isn't as fun as 3v
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 7:18:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What exactly would make a gladius tactical vs non tactical?
View Quote

The guys at my hunt club pitched in and bought a strategic gladius. It's 34 feet long.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 7:23:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I just imagine traditional gladius steel compared to a 3V gladius.  A long time ago I realized any steel made since the mid-20th century was probably like Excalibur compared to previous steels.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 7:24:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
When you get it, we need an unboxing video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb3UobSZl34

View Quote

^
Didn't that guy cut grass at Bushwood?
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 7:28:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The guys at my hunt club pitched in and bought a strategic gladius. It's 34 feet long.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/23/2020 7:30:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've got one on the way. All 50 sold out within an hour or so.

For real, this is the last blade I'm buying for a long while.

To be fair, I've wanted a gladius type sword since I first started buying expensive knives. But really, Busse and Miller Bros which are ridiculous on the secondary market, are the only ones I've liked.

I've settled for a couple of Zombie Tools swords. Just had my Father's Day Apokatana delivered a couple of weeks ago.

Then I saw the release of these last week, and told the wife I was going to try and get one, and that she could count it as my birthday present. I think she was just glad that I stopped talking about NVGs.

I've already got a couple of RMJ tomahawks. And a couple of their knives. And a throwing star... I'm seriously retarded.
View Quote

You're going to "use" a $1000 blade for chopping camp fire wood?

I mean, I'm sure it will work well for that...

But isn't that kind of like dragging a $100,000 trap shotgun into the woods for a EOTWAWKI "survival shotgun"? Not saying it won't work great, and last almost forever... after all expensive shotguns are rated for like 100,000 rounds.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 7:32:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Ave Cesare!
Ave Roma!
Ave Legio!
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 7:36:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Use a hay bale, and practice penetration as deep as you can go
View Quote

That sounds like like a recipe for scratches in sensative areas and my wife would likely not be pleased.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 7:36:54 PM EDT
[#9]
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=400164&name=Qama

I modified the grip profile on mine to be more gladius like (rounded) and changed to osage orange scales, and made a custom leather sheath because the one it came with sucked.

Attachment Attached File

I'm about to order this one, because of "two is one" rule.

Attachment Attached File

It has a slightly longer handle which should fit my hand better.

Link Posted: 9/23/2020 7:38:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I like this one more.

Link Posted: 9/23/2020 7:38:58 PM EDT
[#11]
No love for the Pompeii style
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 7:48:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Since this is a pic thread now, here is my ahistorical Condor gladius:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 7:52:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I just imagine traditional gladius steel compared to a 3V gladius.  A long time ago I realized any steel made since the mid-20th century was probably like Excalibur compared to previous steels.
View Quote

Seriously.

The steps we've taken in the last fifty years even have been amazing
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 8:02:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You're going to "use" a $1000 blade for chopping camp fire wood?

I mean, I'm sure it will work well for that...

But isn't that kind of like dragging a $100,000 trap shotgun into the woods for a EOTWAWKI "survival shotgun"? Not saying it won't work great, and last almost forever... after all expensive shotguns are rated for like 100,000 rounds.
View Quote

Sure, why not?

Its fun

Here's a several hundred dollar chunk of 3v chopping up a Christmas tree.

Pocket knives are really limited by their lengths. It's hard to hold them and hit them with a mallet without a lot of blade sticking out

Granted it's only half of the price but it did alright.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 8:09:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've got one on the way. All 50 sold out within an hour or so.

For real, this is the last blade I'm buying for a long while.

To be fair, I've wanted a gladius type sword since I first started buying expensive knives. But really, Busse and Miller Bros which are ridiculous on the secondary market, are the only ones I've liked.

I've settled for a couple of Zombie Tools swords. Just had my Father's Day Apokatana delivered a couple of weeks ago.

Then I saw the release of these last week, and told the wife I was going to try and get one, and that she could count it as my birthday present. I think she was just glad that I stopped talking about NVGs.

I've already got a couple of RMJ tomahawks. And a couple of their knives. And a throwing star... I'm seriously retarded.
View Quote

Same here.

Got a black on black.

I have a Cold Steel Gladius machete and I like it but it is what it is. I kept looking at the Zombie Tools Diphos and it is an impressive piece of steel but at 35.5" long just a hair under 3 lbs and 5160 for a price of $650 and a 22week wait time? I was hesitant, even thought I've been putting away some money for one because once again,  it is an impressive piece of steel.

So when this limited run CPM-3V Gladius was announced, I decided to put my Diphos money toward this. Also it comes with a very nice scabbard and is a run of only 50 produced.

CPM-3V,  awesome tough steel
a more usable length and weight compared to the Diphos
Limited run, so I'm pretty sure I can sell it for more than I paid at some later date. (Awwww who am I kidding I'm not selling this)

Link Posted: 9/23/2020 8:15:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Same here.

Got a black on black.

I have a Cold Steel Gladius machete and I like it but it is what it is. I kept looking at the Zombie Tools Diphos and it is an impressive piece of steel but at 35.5" long just a hair under 3 lbs and 5160 for a price of $650 and a 22week wait time? I was hesitant, even thought I've been putting away some money for one because once again,  it is an impressive piece of steel.

So when this limited run CPM-3V Gladius was announced, I decided to put my Diphos money toward this. Also it comes with a very nice scabbard and is a run of only 50 produced.

CPM-3V,  awesome tough steel
a more usable length and weight compared to the Diphos
Limited run, so I'm pretty sure I can sell it for more than I paid at some later date. (Awwww who am I kidding I'm not selling this)

View Quote

I finally have hope for this website.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top