User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 11:49:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That guy is the worst interviewer I’ve ever heard.
View Quote

Pretty hard to "interview" folks so damaged they can only bark like a dog.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 11:54:43 AM EDT
[#2]
They may have to seal off parts West Virginia like they with those Amazon tribes with no human contact.

These people need protection.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 12:21:01 PM EDT
[#3]
3 minutes in. This is horrible that people in our country live like this and all of the churches brag about going to Haiti every summer to help. I’d kill myself if I lived like this.

I feel bad for that beautiful pit bull and wish he / she could be taken to rescue.  Won’t live long there.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 12:31:45 PM EDT
[#4]
My mom did home healthcare for awhile in northeast AL and the vast majority of the visits were out in the counties with folks that were very impoverished, low IQ, inbred. It definitely gets worse as you get farther into the hollers/mountain areas where there's more isolation.

I grew up in east Tennessee so the first time I saw deliverance I was like "whats the big deal with the banjo kid"? . Wasn't the first time i'd encountered that.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:02:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Not just a southern thing. I saw it in a small town in VT, full of inbreds. They were easy to spot, every one of them had a certain look and shuffle to their walk.
View Quote

I am curious what town you are talking about, I think I may know.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 8:20:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What do you think the two males IQ’s are hovering at?
View Quote
single digit
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 9:04:09 AM EDT
[#7]
It’s like that everywhere in WV. You city folks and damn Yankees just stay away.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 9:12:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I've been watching his Pimps and Ho's and shooting victim videos.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 9:24:24 AM EDT
[#9]
That's the same county as my youtube video where the family court judge searched my client's house looking for the ex-wife's DVDs. I had to deal with a family like this once. Brother and sister lived together like husband and wife. We had to go to court for something, and the guy kept standing up and speaking his own language. Almost a bark like that. Nobody understood WTF he was talking about. The sister/wife had a goatee also.

Not far from there is McDowell County, where I was thinking this might have been before clicking on it. It was the first place the Democrats came in and started food stamp programs. The county had 100k+ people at one time, and then the coal dried up around there, leaving no jobs. Instead of letting people go where the jobs were, the Democrats figured they'd just feed them. Fast forward 60 years later and that county has the worst life expectancy rate in the entire country, at only 63 for men. Maybe 65 for women. There are 8,000 plus abandoned homes and businesses which are falling apart. A couple years ago it had the nation's top opioid OD rate. I went down there the other day to try a case and they flipped shit about me taking pictures of the blight. Which is why I looked up the numbers.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 9:35:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
After reading through this thread, I'm not going to watch the "documentary." Even a Habsburg jaw makes me a bit queasy.
View Quote

LOL.  I think what many fail to realize, especially these days, is that once you get "out in the sticks" anywhere on this planet, this kind of thing isn't that rare.  I remember back in '97 we were auditioning for doctoral programs.  One of the schools we looked at was UK in Lexington.  As some of you probably remember, there was horrendous flooding that year...Biblical type shit.  I believe our audition was on 3/1.  When we left Lexington to go back to MI, I-75 was closed.  The flooding was insane; we drove by fields with dead floating horses.  Anyway, this was before waze and gps navigation so we had to find alternate routes.  We ended up driving through some serious "holler" type areas...corrugated metal shacks, tar paper shacks, etc.  I remember we both had to seriously make a pit-stop, but there was NO WAY we were stopping.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 9:49:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Want to see an economy based on food stamps? Ever seen a closed down walmart before?

Car dealership.

Homes.

I took this one. Just noticed the basketball hoop.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 11:53:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Sadly far eastern KY and WV are very similar. There are plenty of hollers where everyone is related and you barging into their holler is not a good idea. However most of those hollers do import fresh stock so I really do not see the inbreeding that was there 50 years ago.
I also find it amusing how many places you guys think you can get dissappeared. Yes there are some dark and hostile places in KY and WV but you have to try to get killed. Beaten might not take much work but killed does take effort.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 12:00:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Not a car person but that el camino is pretty rad!  How has noone fucked it up?
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 12:07:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sadly far eastern KY and WV are very similar. There are plenty of hollers where everyone is related and you barging into their holler is not a good idea. However most of those hollers do import fresh stock so I really do not see the inbreeding that was there 50 years ago.
I also find it amusing how many places you guys think you can get dissappeared. Yes there are some dark and hostile places in KY and WV but you have to try to get killed. Beaten might not take much work but killed does take effort.
View Quote

Exactly
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 12:10:03 PM EDT
[#15]
OP, also watch "The Wild And Wonderful Whites Of West Virginia", about the White family....

very glad I wasn't born in that neck of the woods.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 12:11:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Man I knew that shit was there, but seeing it is fucking disturbing.

Link Posted: 7/20/2020 12:14:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This reminds me of a certain episode of “The X Files”
View Quote

This was my first thought.

What a fucked up family
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 12:29:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I didn't watch it or read the whole thread, but I'll just say that I say a man freak out on a social worker once; he was yelling at the social worker: she's MY daughter and I'll do what I want!

He/they lived in a very secluded area of southeastern Ohio.
Fuckin hoopies.

Speed
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 12:34:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's WV, not Detroit.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 12:48:15 PM EDT
[#20]
There are inbred communities everywhere. I’m told rural Canada is pretty bad. Inner cities - yep. Met a family like that in Southern California too- lived in the mountains, creepy as hell. Lots of it in rural East Texas/ west LA. Know folks that work with social workers and they have some crazy stories.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 12:56:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It's WV, not Detroit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's WV, not Detroit.

Come on. Hometown pride or not.  That's a fuckin miracle
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 1:16:58 PM EDT
[#22]
What does a girl from WV say right before she looses her virginity?
"Pa, get off me. You're crushing my cigarettes!"
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 1:30:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It's WV, not Detroit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's WV, not Detroit.

I grew up with my grandparents stories about small towns there.  Northfork and Mataoka.  Hard work and good jobs 30 - 50's.  They left in late 50's and I remember it bothered them going back in the 80's. But holy shit google streetview looks like a different country.  Poor is one thing but the fabric of those communities was destoyed.

Depressing doesn't begin to cover it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 2:02:43 PM EDT
[#24]
I was probably related to half of my first grade class. They don't call it Grovetuckey for nothing.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 2:11:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess living in Odd WV and moms basement are pretty similar when human development is concerned.

Only one was barking and humans have been interacting with dogs for millennia. It’s not hard to ask basic questions with empathy. Maybe pick the 4-5 other people that weren’t barking? Crazy idea I know. He kept asking because he knew Ray would keep barking for the camera. He asked complex questions to the porch potatoes because he knew they weren’t capable of understanding. It was all for shock value on camera. He was clearly exploiting them which is not how a documentary is done.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 2:26:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fuck around with their meth or guns and you will find out.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 2:36:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Incest is really coming into its own
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 3:04:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It’s like that everywhere in WV. You city folks and damn Yankees just stay away.
View Quote

I would think normal people living in WV would want to encourage out of state people to visit and breed. It would maybe help with all those recessive genes that seem to run rampant around there.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 3:05:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Incest is really coming into its own
View Quote

I have seen some documentaries  about that.

Switching gears, I grew up in northern  WV. Dad worked at the big hospital  and talked about one family  that were frequently there. They were not allowed in until the entire family  stripped,  were bathed and i assume, provided fresh clothes.  

In junior high and high school I rode the bus. Down this one particularly  long dirt road the bus would take, an old woman  dressed like winter all year long, would come out and shake her fist at the bus. I couldn't  tell what she was holding,  so I asked a kid that got off on a stop near her house.

He said oh, she has a chicken bone cross with a raccoon heart strapped to the center. She is blessing  the bus...

West Virginia  is described  as a place of terrible beauty.

I always  said west Virginians  are either some of the nicest people  you'd ever meet, or some of the meanest.

I miss it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 3:12:55 PM EDT
[#30]
While this was an in-depth and informative interview, I wish he would have brought a laser pointer and got Timmy's thoughts on it
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 3:23:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not just a southern thing. I saw it in a small town in VT, full of inbreds. They were easy to spot, every one of them had a certain look and shuffle to their walk.

I don't remember the town name but it was up near Lowell, may have just been an unincorporated community. I had family from there and was not driving, it was something they took out of towners to see, oddly enough.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 3:38:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I would think normal people living in WV would want to encourage out of state people to visit and breed. It would maybe help with all those recessive genes that seem to run rampant around there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We accept anyone from any state below us. Or to the left of us. Except not all the way to the left.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 3:43:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I grew up with my grandparents stories about small towns there.  Northfork and Mataoka.  Hard work and good jobs 30 - 50's.  They left in late 50's and I remember it bothered them going back in the 80's. But holy shit google streetview looks like a different country.  Poor is one thing but the fabric of those communities was destoyed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's WV, not Detroit.

The reason that car is/was still there, is because this is legitimate blight, caused by do-gooder liberals. They're good people for the most part. There's no roving gang members. They'd probably get killed pretty quickly. The grandparents are raising all the children. I've represented many of them. Just got off the phone with one of them. They say "buddy" at the end of every sentence. I love that. Also a lunch box is a supper bucket. I watched a murder trial down there, or at least the beginning of it, after my case got bumped. A grandpa went and bought his grandkids some clothes at a dollar store. Gave it to the dirt bag son, who went and returned everything for cash. He apparently had done that before, and grandpa had had enough.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 4:00:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

My parents ran into a situation like this a few years ago in Southeast Oklahoma, deep in the woods looking around old homesteads.  They were doing some genealogy research and asking too many questions according to some locals, things got a little uncomfortable until they realized my dad was kin.  The Kiamichi Mountains that run between OK and AR hold a lot of secrets and little enclaves of families.
View Quote

I've seen some weird stuff out there.  Have been out there pretty deep hunting hogs.  There are some pretty remote areas that don't get many visitors.  Found a catfish "restaurant" way deep in the hills.  Dirt floor and the waitress didn't have shoes on.  Was...interesting.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 4:07:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The guy doing the interview was annoying.
He kept asking  Ray questions knowing he couldnt answer them.
View Quote

He answered the questions.  I heard it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 4:07:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Similar thing near me. The mom is normal but her two kids are severely retarded.  I think their uncle is dad.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 4:28:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

By talking to the ones that don’t with empathy and in simple terms. It’s not hard. Just like how I’m explaining this to you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you affectively interview a family that grunts and barks

By talking to the ones that don’t with empathy and in simple terms. It’s not hard. Just like how I’m explaining this to you.

Link Posted: 7/20/2020 6:25:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
What do you think the two males IQ’s are hovering at?
View Quote

Hovering implies an elevation. Not quite sure we have an elevation here
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 6:35:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

" Quit asking people who bark complex questions."  
How did I miss this part when I quoted you?!
And yeah, Timmy looked like he was just waiting to get the nod from one of the chics to brain that asshole.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Depressing.  I wanted to strangle the film maker.  Quit asking people who bark complex questions.  The others were completely non-communicative, but that didn't stop dumb ass from asking more questions.

He kept picking at the open wounds......could tell the older folks were getting annoyed.

I would have been a bit nervous with Timmy over there digging under the couch and playing with the shovel.......

" Quit asking people who bark complex questions."  
How did I miss this part when I quoted you?!
And yeah, Timmy looked like he was just waiting to get the nod from one of the chics to brain that asshole.

Is it bad that I was hoping that would happen?
“Interviewer” was a grade A prick
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 8:22:02 PM EDT
[#40]
This is a sad look into the fairly common reality of poor genetics in very rural areas, where folks who are truly deserving or in need of social welfare programs (of which I am not/have never been a fan of) are too proud or ignorant to benefit from them.

I take no pleasure in making fun of people who, through absolutely no fault of their own, have been robbed of any chance of opportunity or of living a normal life. The only saving grace in these situations is that they are often so isolated and ignorant that they don't know how bad they have it, and are therefore happy with their lot in life. They have absolutely no idea that the way they live isn't what most would consider 'normal'. It's simply all they have ever known.

About 20 years ago, I went to a local farm to work on a horse for a very elderly woman in our community. Her family had a lot of land in the area, an old farming and ranching family who had mostly died out. She shared a few memories about the early 1900s, and I asked her where she grew up. She pointed to the old farmhouse across the Farm to Market road and told me she was born in it. Told me she married the son of the neighboring rancher when she was 12 years old, and he built her the house she was in now. She then told me that she had never been off of the two families' land in her entire life...had never been farther than 5 miles from the spot she was born in her 96 years. She was fairly normal, but had never even ridden in a motorized vehicle.

It's not hard to imagine how inbreeding can occur in areas like that.

Link Posted: 7/20/2020 8:23:49 PM EDT
[#41]
That's...something, all right. Puts the 1920s eugenicists and Club of Rome bros in a different light.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 8:37:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
That's...something, all right. Puts the 1920s eugenicists and Club of Rome bros in a different light.
View Quote

I've said it before, Nazis gave eugenics a bad name.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 8:39:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
After that I am now ok with being called a "damned yankee".  Jfc you southerners are fucked.....
View Quote

WV isn't the South.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 8:49:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 11:54:20 PM EDT
[#45]
What IQ for barking like a dog?
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 12:07:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
After that I am now ok with being called a "damned yankee".  Jfc you southerners are fucked.....
View Quote

West Virginia is in Yankee land. Those are hillbillies. Not rednecks.
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top