Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 6/30/2021 3:18:35 PM EDT
Ford extends U.S. production cuts as expected due to chip shortage

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3711551-ford-extends-us-production-cuts-as-expected-due-to-chip-shortage?mail_subject=f-ford-extends-u-s-production-cuts-as-expected-due-to-chip-shortage&utm_campaign=rta-stock-news&utm_content=link-3&utm_medium=email&utm_source=seeking_alpha

The automaker will idle or reduce production at eight plants in July, including six in the U.S. for varying periods of time. Some of the production halts will extend into early August. In addition, Ford says production of the Ford Ranger and new Ford Bronco will be down between July 5 and July 26 due to an unrelated part shortage.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 3:28:26 PM EDT
[#1]

What do chip shortages have to do with soyboi's?
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 3:32:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Muh 12" infotainment screen.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 3:34:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep....and all the dumb shit no one asked for.

That's waht happens whan you let the marketing department make decisions and not the engineers.

The marketing department probably polled all Those soi bois in Dallas to see what they want in a truck
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 3:43:31 PM EDT
[#4]
What did you expect? Ford’s got Obama’s buddy Bill Kennard on the BoD and the sustainability and innovation committee (he’s also on Dominion’s BoD and AT&T’s).
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 3:48:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That's waht happens whan you let the marketing department make decisions and not the engineers.

The marketing department probably polled all Those soi bois in Dallas to see what they want in a truck
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Um. Engineers are the worst at trying to add tech you don’t really need.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 3:48:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What did you expect? Ford’s got Obama’s buddy Bill Kennard on the BoD and the sustainability and innovation committee (he’s also on Dominion’s BoD and AT&T’s).
View Quote

eggsactly
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 3:50:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not talking about BMWs engineers here...I am talking about the good ole boys from Detroit. The ones that used to make stuff reliable
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 3:50:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In before someone equates you pointing out many accessories are dumb to you wanting crank windows and an AM radio.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 3:51:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

In before someone equates you pointing out many accessories are dumb to you wanting crank windows and an AM radio.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well for one I don't need a dumb ass console shifter than can fold down and get stuck and render your truck inoperable....
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 3:51:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Please explain what engineers would have done to prevent a global shortage? and infotainment has nothing to do with this either.

Nothing brings out the herp and derp here like auto threads.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 3:53:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Got a new truck waiting for me. Need the title on my current truck so i can sell it. Hoping the shortages last another couple months, since my title will be another 4-6 weeks.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 3:53:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I am not talking about BMWs engineers here...I am talking about the good ole boys from Detroit. The ones that used to make stuff reliable
View Quote

lol wut

American designed vehicles have steadily been getting more reliable, not less. The good ole boys from Detroit designed and made less reliable trucks.

Can't tell if this is satire or you're over 70.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 3:55:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Well for one I don't need a dumb ass console shifter than can fold down and get stuck and render your truck inoperable....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My biggest gripe with new cars is how they take things that used to be simple and mechanical and replace them with digital/electronic controls that add to the vehicle cost and create expensive headaches when they fail.

That and the nanny shit. Take Toyota for example... You can't even buy a truck now without
Toyota Safety Sense.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 3:55:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Trust me, for every 1 design engineer we have up stream there is a factor of 100s down stream making it happen.

I'd like to point out we are still cranking out 1500 plus suvs a day as well

Edit due to phone...
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Please explain what engineers would have done to prevent a global shortage? and infotainment has nothing to do with this either.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They would have done a vertical integration a long time ago and have multiple supply chains in order to maintain a solid inventory of chips and not just rely on the JIT systems that are constantly used. By spreading out the use of chips over the course of several lines of product you can have a built in system of redundancy that should not be any more cost effective than using two or more suppliers are the macro level. By doing so, you are driving share holder value while also maintaing a good report with the stake holder model of conducting business at an international level. In doing do, they could have also levered the exchange rate of other countries currency with ours by finding a place where the labor was talented enough to make chips and also allow us to get juice off the exchange rate of the two economies. By doing that there would have been a great promotion of synergy between economies and also a stop gap measure in production reliability that can be harmed by natural disasters, global pandemic and supply chain interruptions by shipping companies.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 3:57:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

lol wut

American designed vehicles have steadily been getting more reliable, not less. The good ole boys from Detroit designed and made less reliable trucks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol wut

anyone can make a 4 cylinder that goes 300,000 miles pushing a 2000 lb car.

Not everyone can make an engine that toes 30,000 a day and lasts 300,000 miles
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 3:57:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

My biggest gripe with new cars is how they take things that used to be simple and mechanical and replace them with digital/electronic controls that add to the vehicle cost and create expensive headaches when they fail.

That and the nanny shit. Take Toyota for example... You can't even buy a truck now without
Toyota Safety Sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Toyota Safety Sense.

What's that?
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 3:58:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Trust me, for every 1 design engineer we have up stream there is a factor of 100s down stream making it happen.

Edit due to phone...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit due to phone...

1500 Fjords?
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 3:58:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Toyota Safety Sense.
View Quote

Yep. When I bought my 17 Tacoma all that lane monitoring/auto brake stuff was optional. I was able to find one without it.  Now it's standard.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 3:59:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's a lot of toes.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 3:59:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yep. When I bought my 17 Tacoma all that lane monitoring/auto brake stuff was optional. I was able to find one without it.  Now it's standard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Toyota Safety Sense.

so like it doesn't let you run over geese in the middle of the road? asking for a friend
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 3:59:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ford extends U.S. production cuts as expected due to chip shortage

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3711551-ford-extends-us-production-cuts-as-expected-due-to-chip-shortage?mail_subject=f-ford-extends-u-s-production-cuts-as-expected-due-to-chip-shortage&utm_campaign=rta-stock-news&utm_content=link-3&utm_medium=email&utm_source=seeking_alpha

The automaker will idle or reduce production at eight plants in July, including six in the U.S. for varying periods of time. Some of the production halts will extend into early August. In addition, Ford says production of the Ford Ranger and new Ford Bronco will be down between July 5 and July 26 due to an unrelated part shortage.
View Quote
View Quote

Actually this is what happens when Soy Bois are too busy making trucks lol
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:00:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

1500 Fjords?
View Quote

Check my state, not Fords....

Although I do love my F150
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:00:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No difference these days in BMW and Ford use of electronics.  All the subsystems use electronics, way beyond the info center
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:00:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

lol wut

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol wut

It's just the weekly Ford bashing thread by Midcap, he needs therapy
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:01:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That's a lot of toes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a lot of toes.

that's what she said
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:02:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1500 Fjords?

those brands are smarter that Fjord
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:02:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

No difference these days in BMW and Ford use of electronics.  All the subsystems use electronics, way beyond the info center
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

it's not what you use, it's how you use it and how many
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:02:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Cafe and emission standards had the most to do with complicated electronics
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:03:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol wut

I wouldn't call pointing out the truth bashing.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

is that why ford has a 20" info taint ment screen and an electruic shifter knob?
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:04:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Trucks have gotten bloated and expensive.

My next truck won't hit the lot till the 8th and at 64500 msrp i doubt  I'll be able to talk them down much.

I'd love a 60k  start price with my 12k trade value and 5-6k down

That should put me around 40k financed and sub 725 for the note which roughly matches the note on the truck I'm trading.

Sucks to need to trade the truck in but 7500ish in maintenance needs, plus trade values being the highest ever, and my credit being fairly good a means new dually for me.

Upside is ill still get the 8.4inch screen and power locks, 4wd, and highest tow rating available. That should be nice next time I'm towing in the rockies

Downside is I need a new hitch for the camper.

But really I wanted to buy the Ole lady a new car this year. Don't think that's gonna happen yet.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:04:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Boomers did this.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:04:36 PM EDT
[#34]
I love all the tech shit in my 2021 F150.  I love vented seats on 90+ degree days and my 12 inch infotainment screen.  Obviously, there's a demand.

i have no interest in buying a stripped down truck.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:04:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are 10 gear CVTs for a reason.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:05:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

those brands are smarter that Fjord
View Quote

We've got some great people I'll tell you that.

This shouldn't be new to anyone in auto, it happens and has been done before.  Fukushima comes to mind.  Oh and every freaking single ip carrier sub supplier catching on fire at some point.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:05:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Trucks have gotten bloated and expensive.

My next truck won't hit the lot till the 8th and at 64500 msrp i doubt  I'll be able to talk them down much.

I'd love a 60k  start price with my 12k trade value and 5-6k down

That should put me around 40k financed and sub 725 for the note which roughly matches the note on the truck I'm trading.

Sucks to need to trade the truck in but 7500ish in maintenance needs, plus trade values being the highest ever, and my credit being fairly good a means new dually for me.

Upside is ill still get the 8.4inch screen and power locks, 4wd, and highest tow rating available. That should be nice next time I'm towing in the rockies

Downside is I need a new hitch for the camper.

But really I wanted to buy the Ole lady a new car this year. Don't think that's gonna happen yet.
View Quote

I just got a GMC Elevation 4wd for under $50,000

It has everything I need
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:07:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Change auto threads to “the internet” and then you realize it’s all nonsense.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:09:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know, schoold out for the summer, can't wait until the kids log off and get back to school to let the adults talk
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:09:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

What's that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Toyota Safety Sense.

What's that?

It's basically Toyota's version of Subaru Eyesight.

Crash avoidance, lane departure warnings, adaptive cruise, blind spot monitoring...

Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:10:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

They would have done a vertical integration a long time ago and have multiple supply chains in order to maintain a solid inventory of chips and not just rely on the JIT systems that are constantly used. By spreading out the use of chips over the course of several lines of product you can have a built in system of redundancy that should not be any more cost effective than using two or more suppliers are the macro level. By doing so, you are driving share holder value while also maintaing a good report with the stake holder model of conducting business at an international level. In doing do, they could have also levered the exchange rate of other countries currency with ours by finding a place where the labor was talented enough to make chips and also allow us to get juice off the exchange rate of the two economies. By doing that there would have been a great promotion of synergy between economies and also a stop gap measure in production reliability that can be harmed by natural disasters, global pandemic and supply chain interruptions by shipping companies.
View Quote

Unless American auto companies can afford to buy out Micron or Samsungs silicon factories there was no other viable option to avoid the chip shortage.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:10:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Crash avoidance, lane departure warnings, adaptive cruise, blind spot monitoring...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Toyota Safety Sense.

What's that?

I;d like that, seems like it would give you more time to watch netflix on your phone and text
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:10:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Toyota Safety Sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Toyota Safety Sense.

You can turn all of the TSS stuff off though so I don't see the big deal?

I for one love the BSM and Cross-Traffic alerts in my wife's RAV4 along with the Radar Cruise Control.  I never turn on the Lane Keeping Assist as I find it annoying but I can see why some do.  The ability of it to read speed limit signs is fantastic as I can't tell you how many times I'm driving along and don't recall seeing a sign, look down in the dash, and see that the speed limit is 40mph as the RAV4 saw the sign that I missed.

Why would the pedestrian sensing stuff that can stop your car if a 2 y/o kid dashes out from between parked cars that you'd never see before hitting them be a bad thing

It also lowers your insurance rates.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:10:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

You'll only continue to get more of that.  You can thank .gov
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:11:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Real trucks don’t need fucking chips.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:12:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Unless American auto companies can afford to buy out Micron or Samsungs silicon factories there was no other viable option to avoid the chip shortage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Understanding the factors that determine which types of transactions are mediated through
markets and which within firms through vertical integration has been an important subject of
theoretical and empirical research in microeconomics for at least the last 25 years. Moreover,
vertical integration and related vertical no-standard contractual arrangements (so-called “vertical
restraints”) have historically attracted considerable attention under U.S. and E.U. antitrust laws.
Surprisingly, however, most intermediate microeconomics textbooks pay little if any attention to the
causes and consequences of vertical integration between suppliers of intermediate goods and
services (“upstream”) and the purchasers of those goods and services (“downstream”) This chapter
reviews theoretical and empirical work in microeconomics that examines the causes and
consequences of vertical integration and identifies relationships between vertical integration and
substitute non-standard vertical contractual arrangements.
I want to emphasize at the outset that there is not and will never be one unified theory of
vertical integration. Moreover, while some of the literature on vertical integration focuses on a
simple dichotomy between the decision to “make” internally or “buy” through the market, in reality
these two governance arrangements are polar cases. A comprehensive analysis of the underlying
causes and consequences of vertical integration should not only examine the determinants of the
boundaries between firms and markets but also the origins of various “non-standard” contractual
arrangements or “hybrid forms” that lie between simple anonymous spot market transactions and
internal organization. These hybrid forms include various types of long term contracts, franchise
contracts, non-linear pricing arrangements, resale price maintenance agreements, requirements
contracts, joint ventures, dual sourcing (partial vertical integration) and others. Depending on the
circumstances, these alternative contractual arrangements may be perfect or imperfect substitutes for
vertical integration for dealing with problems that may arise by relying only on simple repeated spot
market relationships between upstream and downstream firms.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:12:19 PM EDT
[#47]
What the fuck is this retardation.

If modern comfort and convenience features are too much for the feeble minded here they should stick with their "simple and easy to work on" and apparently "more reliable" vehicles from decades ago.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:12:28 PM EDT
[#48]
No, this is what happens when retards believe the government that covid was going to be a planet killer.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:12:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

so like it doesn't let you run over geese in the middle of the road? asking for a friend
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Toyota Safety Sense.

Put it this way...I was driving my wife's Outback and went to go around a guy who was turning right and the car decided I was too close to his car, thought I was going to rear end him (I was completely fine) and the computer jabbed the brakes hard enough to scare the fuck out of me and nose dive the car a bit.

Not cool. I don't want my car making decisions for me.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:12:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
What the fuck is this retardation.

If modern comfort and convenience features are too much for the feeble minded here they should stick with their "simple and easy to work on" and apparently "more reliable" vehicles from decades ago.
View Quote

I don't need no chip to turn on my seat cooler.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top