Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:34:06 PM EDT
[#1]
What is incredibly frustrating in this thread is the same mindset that poisons people.

Loads of excuses and not solutions...
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:41:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is incredibly frustrating in this thread is the same mindset that poisons people.

Loads of excuses and not solutions...
View Quote

Exactly....Losers make excuses winners make it happen
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:42:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I am not talking about BMWs engineers here...I am talking about the good ole boys from Detroit. The ones that used to make stuff reliable
View Quote
Who?
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:43:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Who?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not talking about BMWs engineers here...I am talking about the good ole boys from Detroit. The ones that used to make stuff reliable
Who?

The pre AFE LS engines were the pinnacle of propulsion

BuT fJoRd iS bEtTeR tHeY DoNt uSe pUsHrOdS
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:43:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That's cool just make it an option, not a mandate. I pay cash for my vehicles and drive them until the wheels fall off. I don't want to be nickel and dime'd fixing electrical problems and replacing expensive touchscreens and monitoring sensors.
View Quote
I'd not be surprised to find that the people most adamant that they don't want/need these extra safety features are likely people who would most benefit from them... or others would benefit from those people having them. If auto braking stops you from plowing into someone that's great, if it stops you from plowing into me then it's even better. I'm not particularly sympathetic to the concern that in 15 years some safety system might need maintenance and you don't feel like paying for it. If you're so staunchly of that opinion you're still free to go buy a pickup truck from the 60s and enjoy your lack of everything as you drive around not worrying about sensors or touchscreens (but I'm guessing you don't do that because you know it sucks.)
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:45:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lol
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:49:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yep. When I bought my 17 Tacoma all that lane monitoring/auto brake stuff was optional. I was able to find one without it.  Now it's standard.
View Quote

I did the same,bought a base '17 Tacoma.
Damn glad i did,last year without all that crap.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:49:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Understanding the factors that determine which types of transactions are mediated through
markets and which within firms through vertical integration has been an important subject of
theoretical and empirical research in microeconomics for at least the last 25 years. Moreover,
vertical integration and related vertical no-standard contractual arrangements (so-called “vertical
restraints”) have historically attracted considerable attention under U.S. and E.U. antitrust laws.
Surprisingly, however, most intermediate microeconomics textbooks pay little if any attention to the
causes and consequences of vertical integration between suppliers of intermediate goods and
services (“upstream”) and the purchasers of those goods and services (“downstream”) This chapter
reviews theoretical and empirical work in microeconomics that examines the causes and
consequences of vertical integration and identifies relationships between vertical integration and
substitute non-standard vertical contractual arrangements.
I want to emphasize at the outset that there is not and will never be one unified theory of
vertical integration. Moreover, while some of the literature on vertical integration focuses on a
simple dichotomy between the decision to “make” internally or “buy” through the market, in reality
these two governance arrangements are polar cases. A comprehensive analysis of the underlying
causes and consequences of vertical integration should not only examine the determinants of the
boundaries between firms and markets but also the origins of various “non-standard” contractual
arrangements or “hybrid forms” that lie between simple anonymous spot market transactions and
internal organization. These hybrid forms include various types of long term contracts, franchise
contracts, non-linear pricing arrangements, resale price maintenance agreements, requirements
contracts, joint ventures, dual sourcing (partial vertical integration) and others. Depending on the
circumstances, these alternative contractual arrangements may be perfect or imperfect substitutes for
vertical integration for dealing with problems that may arise by relying only on simple repeated spot
market relationships between upstream and downstream firms.
View Quote

Cool story bro. Explain how they could have avoided the chip shortage without buying silicon refinement. Which they couldn't because the silicon mines and operations are als typically owned by Samsung and micron.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:50:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Correct, without competition everyone and everything would at some point vanish.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:51:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Cool story bro. Explain how they could have avoided the chip shortage without buying silicon refinement. Which they couldn't because the silicon mines and operations are als typically owned by Samsung and micron.
View Quote

They couldn't have.  It's what they are doing now that's most unimpressive.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:51:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Understanding the factors that determine which types of transactions are mediated through
markets and which within firms through vertical integration has been an important subject of
theoretical and empirical research in microeconomics for at least the last 25 years. Moreover,
vertical integration and related vertical no-standard contractual arrangements (so-called “vertical
restraints”) have historically attracted considerable attention under U.S. and E.U. antitrust laws.
Surprisingly, however, most intermediate microeconomics textbooks pay little if any attention to the
causes and consequences of vertical integration between suppliers of intermediate goods and
services (“upstream”) and the purchasers of those goods and services (“downstream”) This chapter
reviews theoretical and empirical work in microeconomics that examines the causes and
consequences of vertical integration and identifies relationships between vertical integration and
substitute non-standard vertical contractual arrangements.
I want to emphasize at the outset that there is not and will never be one unified theory of
vertical integration. Moreover, while some of the literature on vertical integration focuses on a
simple dichotomy between the decision to “make” internally or “buy” through the market, in reality
these two governance arrangements are polar cases. A comprehensive analysis of the underlying
causes and consequences of vertical integration should not only examine the determinants of the
boundaries between firms and markets but also the origins of various “non-standard” contractual
arrangements or “hybrid forms” that lie between simple anonymous spot market transactions and
internal organization. These hybrid forms include various types of long term contracts, franchise
contracts, non-linear pricing arrangements, resale price maintenance agreements, requirements
contracts, joint ventures, dual sourcing (partial vertical integration) and others. Depending on the
circumstances, these alternative contractual arrangements may be perfect or imperfect substitutes for
vertical integration for dealing with problems that may arise by relying only on simple repeated spot
market relationships between upstream and downstream firms.

Literally Spruce Pine North Carolina got all the silicon dioxide you need
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:51:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do chip shortages have to do with soyboi's?
Muh 12" infotainment screen.

yep....and all the dumb shit no one asked for.

That's waht happens whan you let the marketing department make decisions and not the engineers.

The marketing department probably polled all Those soi bois in Dallas to see what they want in a truck

Um. Engineers are the worst at trying to add tech you don’t really need.

Having grown up in Detroit, and driven Big Three cars while doing it, lolololol, ah, no.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:51:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Production numbers here disagree with you.  It can be done.  Not easy, but possible.  Adapt and overcome.
View Quote

Well numbers don't "disagree"  numbers aren't people and cannot disagree. Looking at numbers can be used by a person to disagree. However silicon and chips come from 2 main sources and a few small operations for the whole world.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:53:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Correct, without competition everyone and everything would at some point vanish.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Imagine if Henry ford listened to the losers about making cars fast for the people.

But somewhere along the way, pioneers like Henry were replaced with wall street fat cats that are only worried about their golden parachutes.

Lee Iacocca is rolling over in his grave
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:55:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Well numbers don't "disagree"  numbers aren't people and cannot disagree. Looking at numbers can be used by a person to disagree. However silicon and chips come from 2 main sources and a few small operations for the whole world.
View Quote

Options

1-use less chips(relatively easy offer less options)

2-certify other chips(costly and a pain, believe me, but very possible

3-sit on ass an wait for world to reset

I'm not the #3 kinda guy
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:56:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I am talking about the good ole boys from Detroit. The ones that used to make stuff reliable
View Quote
Like the Chryslers I used to have?  
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:57:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am talking about the good ole boys from Detroit. The ones that used to make stuff reliable

Were they big as whales?
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:57:27 PM EDT
[#18]
My problem with the infotainment system isn’t the fact it’s an infotainment system.

But that the car narcs on you to everyone is.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:58:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Imagine if Henry ford listened to the losers about making cars fast for the people.

But somewhere along the way, pioneers like Henry were replaced with wall street fat cats that are only worried about their golden parachutes.

View Quote

Correct, bean counters are a necessary evil now though.  The car I'd build you isn't "marketable" in their minds.

You have to time your "fuck you's" just right now a days.  Not exactly easy for engineers.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Were they big as whales?
View Quote
Not especially.  Everyone I worked with knew my Chrysler New Yorker was named the AntiChrist.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:59:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Options

1-use less chips(relatively easy offer less options)

2-certify other chips(costly and a pain, believe me, but very possible

3-sit on ass an wait for world to reset

I'm not the #3 kinda guy
View Quote

Dude you're posting in general discussion of ar15.com. You are saying you're not a number 3 guy. You out definitely are a number 3 guy. You keep saying "you're doing something" what are you doing?  You can't just take a random chip with a random architecture and "certify" it. It simply doesn't work that way.  

Again it's the manufacturing process and right now they're being used for home and business counter markets. That's where the majority of the manufacturing is at right now.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:59:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Were they big as whales?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Were they big as whales?

They were about to set sail.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:59:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My problem with the infotainment system isn’t the fact it’s an infotainment system.

But that the car narcs on you to everyone is.
View Quote

I am pretty sure the NSA monitors me through OnStar
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 5:00:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Correct, bean counters are a necessary evil now though.  The car I'd build you isn't "marketable" in their minds.

You have to time your "fuck you's" just right now a days.  Not exactly easy for engineers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/30/2021 5:01:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Not especially.  Everyone I worked with knew my Chrysler New Yorker was named the AntiChrist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Were they big as whales?

Bro my great aunt had a New Yorker she traded in a 5th avenue on....very classy cars.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 5:02:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Dude you're posting in general discussion of ar15.com. You are saying you're not a number 3 guy. You out definitely are a number 3 guy. You keep saying "you're doing something" what are you doing?  You can't just take a random chip with a random architecture and "certify" it. It simply doesn't work that way.  

Again it's the manufacturing process and right now they're being used for home and business counter markets. That's where the majority of the manufacturing is at right now.
View Quote

Mmkay.  Will be the leading US Global exporter of vehicles this year for the 8th year in a row.  Pro tip, this year will be easy due to lack of competition.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 5:02:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

I am pretty sure he can seat about 20
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 5:03:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bring your jukebox money.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 5:08:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

is that why ford has a 20" info taint ment screen and an electruic shifter knob?
View Quote

Why have regular shifter when the transmission is all computerized to get better MPG. The screen is optional.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 5:10:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Hand crank windows?
I like all the gadgets but not the nanny bullshit.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 5:10:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Why have regular shifter when the transmission is all computerized to get better MPG. The screen is optional.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

is that why ford has a 20" info taint ment screen and an electruic shifter knob?

the shifter folds down and then you can't move it
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 5:11:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Local Ford lot is full of trucks, but who wants a $40-50k truck
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 5:13:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Op.

I hope you do understand this is affecting ALL industries right?

CAT has production delays.
PACCAR has production delays.
Freightliner has HUGE production delays.

Etc.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 5:14:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Somehow more people that you would ever believe....

7 to 10 year auto loans and vehicle "longevity" have made this all very interesting.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 5:14:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Please explain what engineers would have done to prevent a global shortage? and infotainment has nothing to do with this either.

Nothing brings out the herp and derp here like auto threads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's waht happens whan you let the marketing department make decisions and not the engineers.

The marketing department probably polled all Those soi bois in Dallas to see what they want in a truck

Please explain what engineers would have done to prevent a global shortage? and infotainment has nothing to do with this either.

Nothing brings out the herp and derp here like auto threads.

I believe what he means is if we have vehicles that ran on points rather than highly efficient computer controlled fuel injection systems we wouldn’t be in this mess.  Basically we should have stopped vehicle evolution around say 1962.  

Link Posted: 6/30/2021 5:22:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do chip shortages have to do with soyboi's?

If nobody wanted it they wouldn’t be doing it, people are already utilizing the aftermarket in order to get larger screens in their vehicles.

I don’t care about a massive screen either, but it’s the future.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 5:26:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

the shifter folds down and then you can't move it
View Quote

I haven't seen one of those. I have seen knobs on instrument panel.

But the .GOV has mandated Emissions, Fuel economy, crash standards and now crash avoidance and pushing for autonomous operation.
This requires more computers

If you want to get rid of computers you would need to change laws and then you would be left with a points type of distributor and those
were very prone to problems.

If you guys don't like computers then throw your computers and cell phone away.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 6:10:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you go look at the window stickers they all probably have Market Value Adjustment a.k.a Fuck You In The Ass Adjustment.

Almost no one wants to get fucked in the ass and spend 15K over the actual sticker price.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 6:27:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

too cheap of a truck?
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 6:27:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Op.

Etc.
View Quote

just sad for them too

I bet Volvo isn't having problems
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 6:37:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

just sad for them too

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Op.

Etc.

just sad for them too

You’d lose that bet.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 6:42:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I don't need no chip to turn on my seat cooler.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What the fuck is this retardation.

If modern comfort and convenience features are too much for the feeble minded here they should stick with their "simple and easy to work on" and apparently "more reliable" vehicles from decades ago.

Back into the good old days I would just fart into my heat exchanger underwear to cool my ass cheeks. Millennials nowadays have a button that turns it on. Sad!
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 6:51:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You’d lose that bet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Op.

Etc.

just sad for them too

You’d lose that bet.

scania and IVECO too?
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 6:53:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Back into the good old days I would just fart into my heat exchanger underwear to cool my ass cheeks. Millennials nowadays have a button that turns it on. Sad!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What the fuck is this retardation.

If modern comfort and convenience features are too much for the feeble minded here they should stick with their "simple and easy to work on" and apparently "more reliable" vehicles from decades ago.

that reminds me of my child hood in a way, when I was a kid my dad would get me to go with him to the store. When it was cold out, he would make me stay in the car and then run a dryer vent hose from the tail pipe into the cab to stay warm.

worked really good too, it just sucked if he took too long because i'd get a head ache.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

scania and IVECO too?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Op.

Etc.

just sad for them too

You’d lose that bet.

scania and IVECO too?

Yes, it’s an industry wide problem, regardless wether or not your product features touch screens and butt massagers.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 7:06:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yep. When I bought my 17 Tacoma all that lane monitoring/auto brake stuff was optional. I was able to find one without it.  Now it's standard.
View Quote

It's actually quite useful. The braking stuff only works when the cruise is on and the lane monitoring can be turned off with a flick of a button on the steering wheel. I like the flashing lights in the outside mirrors.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 7:06:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can thank the Cameron Gulbransen Kids Transportation Safety Act of 2007 for your screen.

Muh “there oughta be a law!!! Fo da chillens!”
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 7:10:26 PM EDT
[#49]
My F350 has a build date of 7-23... I guess we will see what happens.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 7:12:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

too cheap of a truck?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

too cheap of a truck?

Probably.

I know I wouldn't want anything in that range.

Gross
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top