Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:33:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I want another Contender with the Super 14 barrel in .35 Remington. Why did I sell the one I had?
View Quote
I may know where an extra barrel is....
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:34:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd be down for a Contender carbine.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:04:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It's a whole lot worse than the much more powerful 500s from an x frame or a BFR.

I really don't know why the trigger guard has to have that annoying little skin removing screw either...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's a whole lot worse than the much more powerful 500s from an x frame or a BFR.

I really don't know why the trigger guard has to have that annoying little skin removing screw either...

I'd rather have a footlong slamfired 10ga than a 45/70 pistol. There's just no reason for it than pain

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:25:38 AM EDT
[#4]
8" TC in the most powerful cartridge ever, ever ever ever, made - 10MM!

Happy dance!

(secretly cooks up TC-only loading; 165-180gr, cut down 10MM Mag brass, 800X or Longshot (maybe #7 if I'm feeling frisky), load long for extra capacity (even though the MAG brass reduced capacity), 2,800fps easy :)

Thermo-fucking-nuclear bitches!

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:35:30 AM EDT
[#5]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want contender barrels with ejectors. They were a rare factory specialty option and I've never seen one.

A 45-70 pistol with ejectors would be too cool for school.

Side note my 45-70 contender pistol is the most painful to shoot gun I own by far.

https://i.imgflip.com/bvsix.gif

Bond Arms 45-70 derringer. Shot it once. Never again.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:17:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I remembered reading something about that but not the details. SSK doesn't say anything on their site.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting. I wish them luck. I assume they will do some single shots since that's what they are known for. I assume the patents on the Contender and Encore are expired with SSK building their own Contender.

I think SSK go the Rights from S&W for the Contender

I remembered reading something about that but not the details. SSK doesn't say anything on their site.

I bought a SSK barrel from here and they had a article about it in one of their monthly e mails a while back.

maybe the deal did not go through
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:31:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
8" TC in the most powerful cartridge ever, ever ever ever, made - 10MM!

Happy dance!

(secretly cooks up TC-only loading; 165-180gr, cut down 10MM Mag brass, 800X or Longshot (maybe #7 if I'm feeling frisky), load long for extra capacity (even though the MAG brass reduced capacity), 2,800fps easy :)

Thermo-fucking-nuclear bitches!

View Quote

Just have the barrel made in 10mm Mag.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:35:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Awesome!  I was just bitching about Smith shutting down TC the other day.  Not that they were worth a shit under Smith but hopefully the new dude will put things right!
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:45:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I could use a new speed breach for my black powder rifle.  I also sold my Venture 308 due to the expensive magazines.  I still own a Venture in .243, but picked up two extra mags before the closing.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:55:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Guess it's a good plan. Sell company to a larger company and buy it back when they get rid of it and most likely lowered the price.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:05:42 AM EDT
[#11]
They need to come back, but not in Mass.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:35:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This, for the money there's no better 10/22.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fire up TCR/22 production again

This, for the money there's no better 10/22.

Agreed, and I'd really like them to make traditional styled BP guns again too.  Love my T/C Hawken style .50; I'd like to get a flintlock version too.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:40:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
More encores please
View Quote

Well I just need some barrels, but that model is so adaptive every gun owner/hunter should have one.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:05:22 PM EDT
[#14]
New production contender barrels in modern calibers would be a game changer. Paying Bullberry or MGM gets old fast.

I'd like to see 6" 9mm, .45, 10" 300 Black, 22 Hornet, 14" 223, 6mm ARC, etc, etc.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:07:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
TC Venture and Compass budget rifles were top notch. Please bring them back.
View Quote

I second this motion. I have a Compass in 30-06. Glad I grabbed some extra mags when they were cheap. Mine will lay down cloverleaf groups out to 200 yds with good ammo.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:10:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I want contender barrels with ejectors. They were a rare factory specialty option and I've never seen one.

Side note my 45-70 contender pistol is the most painful to shoot gun I own by far.
View Quote

I shot my grandfather's contender pistol on 45-70 when I was 13 or 14 years old. Holy crap that was a wild one. Grandpa rolled his own and didn't believe in light loads, he was a recoil junky. I think it took me years to get over a flinch because of it.

My grandfather had a huge collection of contender configurations when he passed. I would have loved to have gotten my hands on them.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:56:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I would think tooling would be gone by now.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:53:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
They made the best muzzleloaders on the market years ago.

Hope they can make a go of it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:39:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I would think tooling would be gone by now.
View Quote
In this one instance, it might not be.  Smith was trying to unload them fairly actively; so keeping the intellectual property and tooling would have been in their best interests.

Of course, this is the modern, Corporate (with a capital C) Smith and Wesson so they could just have easily screwed that all up.  Smith is absolutely as fucked up as a football bat.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:49:59 PM EDT
[#20]
This guy will be happy, just in time for his NOLA hunts,

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:52:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

The article is referring to S&W ownership being a Mass. company. I believe the new TC will be headquartered in the Midwest but I don’t recall where at this moment.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:57:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This guy will be happy, just in time for his NOLA hunts,
https://www.imfdb.org/images/5/5c/HT-TC-4.jpg
View Quote

Haha that’s one of the things I remember about that movie. I actually just saw the other similar movie on streaming and it still made me think of that dude with his Contender.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:57:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Good. They were fools for closing down production
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:01:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

It was in Rochester, NH before he sold it so hopefully he'll bring it back there.

This is good news. I'd like a chance to replace the Renegade I so foolishly sold many years ago. It had an aftermarket Green Mountain barrel too. Very accurate. Friends with T/C Omegas love them. I think there would be enough demand for them to come back.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:04:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'd rather have a footlong slamfired 10ga than a 45/70 pistol. There's just no reason for it than pain

Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

Shot both the 45-70 and 444 Marlin in the Encore platform, and a 10" BFR in 45-70. Prefer the T/C ergos to the Magnum Research. If either of those barrels happens along I'll grab it. Along with several other rifle chamberings.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:04:52 PM EDT
[#26]
I've enjoyed my Renegade Hunter.  Very well made.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:07:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Fire up TCR/22 production again
View Quote

I’ve owned multiple Encores/ Pro Hunters. Triumphs, etc but the one I’ve held on to the longest is the TCR
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:12:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I want to see the Hotshot .22 come back. Looked like a 2/3 size Encore. Never shot one but the one I looked at seemed like it would handle nice.
View Quote
I never knew they made that!  LOVE IT!!!

Gratuitous pics of a couple of my Babies!!!

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:16:28 PM EDT
[#29]
I bought a Compass in 30.06 from Academy on closeout. for 179.99. Put a $99 Whiskey 3x9 on it and it is one of the most accurate rifles I own.  Wish I could find affordable mags.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:18:23 PM EDT
[#30]
TC is pretty cool.
Although I dearly wish someone made me a Rolling Block in 7.62x54R.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Just think of the missed opportunity Smith had last winter.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:26:25 PM EDT
[#32]
I bought a Compass in 30.06 from Academy on closeout. for 179.99. Put a $99 Whiskey 3x9 on it and it is one of the most accurate rifles I own.  Wish I could find affordable mags.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:33:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

https://www.maxim.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/John-Wick-4-Dueling-Pistols-3.jpg?w=1024
View Quote

Definitely.
When I interviewed Melissa McMinn (the engraver) she told me the bitch of a time they had sourcing those guns. The Marlins were even worse because they were in bankruptcy limbo at the time and because they had more screen time, they had to source about 14 of them.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:37:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Cautiously optimistic...
View Quote

Same. I’d like more single shot centerfire and pistol options since H&R went out
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:38:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
In this one instance, it might not be.  Smith was trying to unload them fairly actively; so keeping the intellectual property and tooling would have been in their best interests.

Of course, this is the modern, Corporate (with a capital C) Smith and Wesson so they could just have easily screwed that all up.  Smith is absolutely as fucked up as a football bat.  
View Quote

I think a lot of the tooling was repurposed from the start. I was taking a few S&W Armorer courses at the time and they said that Smith bought TCA solely for their barrel making ability and equipment.

I have a feeling this new incarnation is not going to last very long unless we see a huge demand in muzzle loaders over the next few years. I don't think we'll be seeing many Encores and Contenders.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:40:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Bring back the Katahdin rifles , iirc they were in .450BM, .45-70, .460 and .500.
View Quote

Yes!!!
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:41:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
TC Venture and Compass budget rifles were top notch. Please bring them back.
View Quote

I’d be happy just to Compass  magazines available again.  I could use 1 or 2 more .308 magazines.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:52:36 PM EDT
[#38]
In my opinion the bolt gun and muzzle loader market are pretty flooded since TC last saw success there. They would be smart to go all in starting with the Contender, then Encore, then budget rifles.

I am just pulling that straight out of my ass, and it could the growing muzzle loader market that should be first. A lot of CVA stuff remains in a sold out status. I just have to think Contender would have less competition and is most ready for a resurgence. It will come down to pricing and if disposable income continues to take a hit in 2025.

I hope they are smart and pull in some scope manufacturers now to be ready for bringing the Contender back. I am not impressed by the pistol scope options right now.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:29:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Definitely.
When I interviewed Melissa McMinn (the engraver) she told me the bitch of a time they had sourcing those guns. The Marlins were even worse because they were in bankruptcy limbo at the time and because they had more screen time, they had to source about 14 of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.maxim.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/John-Wick-4-Dueling-Pistols-3.jpg?w=1024

Definitely.

Wasn't the tracker's takedown Marlin desined or built by one of our members?
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:31:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want another Contender with the Super 14 barrel in .35 Remington. Why did I sell the one I had?

I inherited some .35 Remington components and a Contender in that caliber. Still have not had a chance to shoot it .
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:38:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Best gun news I’ve heard in a looong time. T/C needs to come back and not be affiliated with s&w.

The muzzleloader market has been missing them for years. I’m sure CVA isn’t happy about this…. They’ve dominated the market after t/c’s demise.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:41:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I inherited some .35 Remington components and a Contender in that caliber. Still have not had a chance to shoot it .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's interesting. Very substantial but not overly uncomfortable to shoot.

I had a barrel that I bought simply because Walmart had 8 boxes of ammo clearanced to $15 per box.

Good round, if you can't kill something with a .35 it probably didn't need to die anyway.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:44:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
In my opinion the bolt gun and muzzle loader market are pretty flooded since TC last saw success there. They would be smart to go all in starting with the Contender, then Encore, then budget rifles.

I am just pulling that straight out of my ass, and it could the growing muzzle loader market that should be first. A lot of CVA stuff remains in a sold out status. I just have to think Contender would have less competition and is most ready for a resurgence. It will come down to pricing and if disposable income continues to take a hit in 2025.

I hope they are smart and pull in some scope manufacturers now to be ready for bringing the Contender back. I am not impressed by the pistol scope options right now.
View Quote

No way, the affordable (in-line) muzzleloader market is pretty much just CVA and Traditions these days. Traditions are trash and CVA has tried to fill the gap left by T/C. They are ok but still not up to a Rochester made T/C encore or omega. Knight is still around but they have become more of a custom manufacturer. Remington makes the ultimate muzzleloader but I don’t think it appeals to many people.

T/C’s decline after S&W bought them and subsequent demise have been a big gap in the muzzleloader market.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:56:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Ooooh!

I want another Hawken and a Contender and a TCR '87 with a bull barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor and a couple of those Fox Ridge extra barrels.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:59:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those seem like they're best suited for rat/snake shot
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:03:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Shot both the 45-70 and 444 Marlin in the Encore platform, and a 10" BFR in 45-70. Prefer the T/C ergos to the Magnum Research. If either of those barrels happens along I'll grab it. Along with several other rifle chamberings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

Make sure to pick up a ransom rest so you can shoot it like a cannon
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:15:31 PM EDT
[#47]
I've put some hard thought into it and I believe I'd like a 7-30 waters chambering in a contender .
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:17:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

A one stamp integrally suppressed carbine would be cool
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:23:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a standing offer that anyone considering buying one, can shoot mine before spending the money.

You know how a Mosin has recoil similar to a .308, but the butt has less surface area to spread the recoil out?

Imagine the same situation, but use a .500 with a warm load for a comparison.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:28:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like that idea .
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top