Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 5:37:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Or
c) don't want to haul around a huge, heavy-ass revolver every time you go hiking.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
10mm is a good choice for a woods gun if you are:

a) more concerned about two legged predators than the four legged kind and want the increased capacity; or
b) are not a competent revolver shooter.

Or
c) don't want to haul around a huge, heavy-ass revolver every time you go hiking.

I'll try to remember to weigh the G20 versus the revolvers tonight.  I bet it isn't that different loaded, but I may be wrong.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 5:52:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'll try to remember to weigh the G20 versus the revolvers tonight.  I bet it isn't that different loaded, but I may be wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

a) more concerned about two legged predators than the four legged kind and want the increased capacity; or

Or

It's 39 oz which is 2oz heavier than my 2.75" m66-8 and 3oz lighter than a loaded mountain gun.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 6:51:26 PM EDT
[#4]
We live in bear country.   I carry a Glock 20, Smith 329 or a Glock 21 loaded with 45 Supers when working around the place.  Yesterday I worked in the woods all day with a Glock 20 on my hip, today I carried my 329.   I have to say the 329 is barely noticeable when walking up and down steep slopes. with a chainsaw.     Once I find a suitable IWB holster for my 4" Smith M&P 10, it will go into the rotation.  When I hike or hunt I carry a 454 Casull Ruger Toklat in a chest holster.  

I am torn between a heavy revolver or a red dot semi auto.   When a bear means business there is not a lot of time for a mag dump.   A couple of good shots are all you may get, if that.   Other than the bulk and weight of the revolver, my preference would be a large caliber revolver for stopping a pissed off bear.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 7:03:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or

I'll betcha the Glock 20 isn't as heavy as a .454 Casull revolver.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 7:05:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We live in bear country.   I carry a Glock 20, Smith 329 or a Glock 21 loaded with 45 Supers when working around the place.  Yesterday I worked in the woods all day with a Glock 20 on my hip, today I carried my 329.   I have to say the 329 is barely noticeable when walking up and down steep slopes. with a chainsaw.     Once I find a suitable IWB holster for my 4" Smith M&P 10, it will go into the rotation.  When I hike or hunt I carry a 454 Casull Ruger Toklat in a chest holster.  

I am torn between a heavy revolver or a red dot semi auto.   When a bear means business there is not a lot of time for a mag dump.   A couple of good shots are all you may get, if that.   Other than the bulk and weight of the revolver, my preference would be a large caliber revolver for stopping a pissed off bear.
View Quote

I'd be willing to bet you'd get off more rounds than you think you would.  I've never had to shoot at a charging bear, but alligators can run at up to 35mph on land, same as a grizz, and when one charged me, I had time for a mag dump with my Smith 1066.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 7:19:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's not even close, I own both..the 454 rides the safe as it has done since it was 2 years(22 years old now) old..Why, because to be able to shoot it well enough to protect my life I had to train with it year round, even  just a 2 week period without shooting it was enough to set back the ability...And anyone who is fool enough to think a 5 or 6 shot revolver is more rounds than you will ever need in a bear attack has not studied up on real bear attacks..

This report is 10mm bear defense only...

https://www.ammoland.com/2022/03/10mm-caliber-pistols-defensive-use-against-bear-attacks/#axzz7OqMMNaDn

This report is the latest update of all handguns used in bear defense as of 4/2022..

https://www.ammoland.com/2022/04/update-of-pistol-defenses-against-bears-123-cases-98-effective/#axzz7YIzrswbb
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 7:25:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are bears affected by the sound of a chainsaw?

Edit- that is to say are they noise sensitive?
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 7:27:20 PM EDT
[#9]
10?? pffft...

Link Posted: 7/6/2022 7:29:05 PM EDT
[#10]

..and Gen 2 is best Gen.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 7:49:14 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

How about 1530?
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 7:51:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is there another Glock 20 sized handgun with as much firepower?  That’s 15 rounds of 180gr going 1,300fps or 200gr going 1,250fps.
View Quote

Hell yeah!!
Get sum 45 Super in a P14!!  
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 7:59:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:From this last panic 10mm lasted on the shelf here longer than most other calipers.  That and 6.5 Cr.  I made it a point to have both.  This is like the * at the bottom of any 401k or trading estimate:  Current trends do not indicate what "future panics" might bring.   With more types of ammo on the shelves compared to previous panics it will be interesting to see the trends....though I hope we come out of this one soon and we don't see another in the next 30 years.  
View Quote

Calipers
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 8:03:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:IN the 48 contiguous states of USA 9mm Nato 124 Grain FMJ will take care of most threats. Big cats (cougars, mountain lions, Black bears)  Everything else 10mm will do fine. Unless you run across a pissed off Bigfoot or DogMan/WolfMan. If you spend time out in the woods a 10mm Semi auto would be a good idea to carry around all the time. IF Legal in your AO.   Now North of the US Canada border things get interesting. You can get larger brown bears even some kodaks have been seen north of Washington state into Canada.  SO From what I am told if you want to kill everything around here just use 12 GA Semi Auto Shotgun with Slugs. Carry a change of clothes. Pants shirt underwear socks maybe even shoes incase you shit your pants during the encounter.   I have been wanting to get a 10mm but after talking to some of theses guys. "I" don't really need one. HOWEVER "YOU" may need one. as always Your Mileage May Vary.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/6/2022 8:09:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 8:11:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
In practically any other type of pistol? Absolutely.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/6/2022 8:18:21 PM EDT
[#17]
No help at all I don’t own anything In 10mm but I’ve always wanted an M1A1 in 10mm for some reason
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 8:20:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:It's not even close, I own both..the 454 rides the safe as it has done since it was 2 years(22 years old now) old..Why, because to be able to shoot it well enough to protect my life I had to train with it year round, even  just a 2 week period without shooting it was enough to set back the ability...And anyone who is fool enough to think a 5 or 6 shot revolver is more rounds than you will ever need in a bear attack has not studied up on real bear attacks..
https://www.ammoland.com/2022/03/10mm-caliber-pistols-defensive-use-against-bear-attacks/#axzz7OqMMNaDn
This report is the latest update of all handguns used in bear defense as of 4/2022..
https://www.ammoland.com/2022/04/update-of-pistol-defenses-against-bears-123-cases-98-effective/#axzz7YIzrswbb
View Quote

The .38 Special is just as effective as the 10mm!  
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 8:40:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:It's not even close, I own both..the 454 rides the safe as it has done since it was 2 years(22 years old now) old..Why, because to be able to shoot it well enough to protect my life I had to train with it year round, even  just a 2 week period without shooting it was enough to set back the ability...And anyone who is fool enough to think a 5 or 6 shot revolver is more rounds than you will ever need in a bear attack has not studied up on real bear attacks..

No but 1150fps from a 4" barrel isn't to shabby

.38 outdoorsman
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 9:40:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 9:53:22 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/6/2022 9:55:40 PM EDT
[#22]
G20 with hardcast lead is my jam up at our cabin.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 9:58:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 10:02:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The Glock 20 is absolutely massive, I almost bought one until I held it and realized I'd never carry it in the woods.
The 1911 10mm's can be smaller but are heavy.

I carry 9mm in town in a much smaller package (Sig P365).
When I hike, I carry 357 magnum.  It does everything the 10mm does in a 17 ounce package (Ruger KLCR).  It's the perfect woods gun, so light you forget it's there.  If I'm planning on shooting something (small game) I'll carry my Ruger SP101 with a 4.2" barrel.
If I was actually concerned about bears, I'd carry my 44 Mag (S&W 629).

The 10mm is like the Ford Raptor.  It's awesome and powerful and expensive and sexy and probably has more power than you'll ever need until you actually have to tow something big then there are much better options.

https://i.imgur.com/4ED7cPX.png
View Quote

Do you never carry a full sized  semiauto?
The G20 is only slightly larger in size than the G22.
I could see if you had tiny hands or never carried a full sized handgun you might think of it as being a larger handgun
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 10:14:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

How many rounds is that? Shoot a couple mags weak hand only and see if they work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 220s don't work very well. Stick the the 200s

I get feedway stoppages with 220s.

In a Glock?
Damn you all
Just spent $110 on 220s for a new g20

How many rounds is that? Shoot a couple mags weak hand only and see if they work.

@03rn
40 rounds
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 10:14:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or

Not as much difference as you might think.  Here are the numbers using my kitchen scale, rounded to the nearest ounce.  All handguns were weighed fully loaded.

Ruger SRH Alaskan in .454 Casull  - 50 ounces

Ruger Super Blackhawk 4 5/8' bbl in .44 Rem Mag. - 48 ounces

S&W 629 4" bbl in .44 Rem. Mag - 48 ounces

Glock 20Gen4 10mm Auto - 41 ounces

I should mention that my Alaskan has after market Hogue fancy wood grips on it which weight a bit more than the factory rubber grips.

@Trout_Hunter
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 10:20:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 10:26:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Not as much difference as you might think.  Here are the numbers using my kitchen scale, rounded to the nearest ounce.  All handguns were weighed fully loaded.

I should mention that my Alaskan has after market Hogue fancy wood grips on it which weight a bit more than the factory rubber grips.

@Trout_Hunter
View Quote

The unloaded weight of a Ruger SRH is 53oz.  The unloaded weight of my Smith M&P 10mm is under 29 oz.  Sorry, that's a pretty big difference.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 10:35:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The unloaded weight of a Ruger SRH is 53oz.  The unloaded weight of my Smith M&P 10mm is under 29 oz.  Sorry, that's a pretty big difference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Trout_Hunter

Unloaded weights in this case are meaningless, as one would not be carrying unloaded.

I would trustMikeDeltaFoxtrot's kitchen scale and loaded weights as more meaningful. And even if the scale is off, it would be consistently off for all guns.

Still, the loaded G20 being about 20% lighter and carrying 2.5 times the ammo of the Ruger SRH is a substantial difference.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 10:35:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I honestly don't care what you carry.  That is your business. But for purposes of this discussion, what difference does it make what the _unloaded_ weight is?  Shouldn't you care about the _loaded_ weight that you actually carry?

I sometimes carry all the guns listed, and it doesn't make a noticeable difference to me.  Drop any of those in an HPG kit bag, and you are good to go.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 10:39:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I honestly don't care what you carry.  That is your business. But for purposes of this discussion, what difference does it make what the _unloaded_ weight is?  Shouldn't you care about the _loaded_ weight that you actually carry?

I sometimes carry all the guns listed, and it doesn't make a noticeable difference to me.  Drop any of those in an HPG kit bag, and you are good to go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used the unloaded weight because it was the easiest to find a cite for.  Loaded weight depends on the ammo it's loaded with, I'd guess.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 10:40:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 10:42:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I used the unloaded weight because it was the easiest to find a cite for.  Loaded weight depends on the ammo it's loaded with, I'd guess.
View Quote
Also, one needs to factor in 6 .454 vs. 16 10mm.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 11:37:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'd be willing to bet you'd get off more rounds than you think you would.  I've never had to shoot at a charging bear, but alligators can run at up to 35mph on land, same as a grizz, and when one charged me, I had time for a mag dump with my Smith 1066.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@ me
I want to hear this story and see pics
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 12:07:57 AM EDT
[#35]

They’re only my some of my favorite guns ever.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 12:16:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

@ me
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@ me

@bradpierson26

This was in the early 1990s, pre-cell-phone-camera days, so no pics.  I was on my friend's grandfather's ranch in central Florida and I can only tell the story now because my friend passed away.  There was a 10-foot gator in the biggest watering hole/pond on the ranch and my friend wanted it gone, so he shot it from shore with a 12-ga. slug that hit it in the neck.  The gator thrashed around for a while, then wound up looking dead, lying on its back on a small, protruding dirt mound sticking out of the water about six feet from shore.  My friend wanted the hide and skull, so he went back to the barn to look for something to use to hook the gator and pull it in, leaving me and my wife there waiting for him.  
Well, the gator WASN'T dead and it turned back over and charged out of the water straight at me.  I had a Smith 1066 in a shoulder holster and I yanked it out and dumped a whole mag into him.  He looked dead, but he'd looked dead before, so I put another mag into him just to be sure.
I wish to assure all legal-minded people that I acted purely in self-defense and had no prior knowledge or involvement in my friend's actions...and of course, it's well beyond the statute of limitations even if I had.  

Link Posted: 7/7/2022 12:54:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 1:11:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Yes.

Attachment Attached File

Size comparison to a DE.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 2:10:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

@Trout_Hunter
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or

@Trout_Hunter

Thanks for taking the time to weigh these out. I am thinking of duel wielding G20s now.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 4:15:29 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/7/2022 4:29:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Yeah, it's close to .357 Magnum.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:34:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Yeah. The Magtech and Sig ammo are pretty good for factory 10mm.
Stay away from S&B. S&B felt the same as .40 for the recoil. Underpowered.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top