Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
RIP, I got dibs, bro.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Totally serious when I say that a Chinese guy with a cough, looking like he can barely move, just sat down next to me on the plane to LAX.

That's it. I'm dead. It has been a good life.

Fuuuuu....
RIP, I got dibs, bro.
HEY, you are third in line
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 12:34:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I am about to wade through the sea of Chinese people at LAX in an hour, followed by a trip to Tennessee. I will do my part to catalyze the apocalypse. (Kidding! I hope....)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Possible case in Memphis,Tn school Tennessee tech. Student traveled and is showing signs and is under quarantine.
That’s Cookeville TN, 100 miles east of Nashville
I am about to wade through the sea of Chinese people at LAX in an hour, followed by a trip to Tennessee. I will do my part to catalyze the apocalypse. (Kidding! I hope....)
Go to Memphis. Stay out of Nashville.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 12:36:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
first case came into ohare on 13 jan.
We should start to see secondary cases with no travel to china very soon.

maybe we are already.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Second confirmed case in Chicago.

maybe we are already.
Yeah, and it's pertinent to bear in mind; it's not just the Chicoms who have a tendency of trying to hide/cover how bad things are, to minimize the effects on the economy and to avoid panic and mass hysteria.

The reason the 1917-1918 flu pandemic is nicknamed The Spanish Flu, is because the US, amongst other countries, covered up how bad it was here. They restricted dissemination of the rates of infection and deaths, and restricted news coverage.

The pandemic got the nickname 'Spanish Flu', because Spain didn't place any restrictions on coverage, leading folks to believe that Spain had it much worse than anywhere else. It didn't. They simply weren't hiding how bad it was.

Either someone in the cable networks, was paying attention and has a dark sense of humor (or it could be a complete coincidence) that they began showing the movie Contagion repeatedly, several weeks back.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 12:37:16 PM EDT
[#4]
WASHINGTON (AP) — A Chicago woman has become the second U.S. patient diagnosed with the new pneumonia-like virus from China, health officials announced Friday.

The woman in her 60s returned from China on Jan. 13 without showing any signs of illness, but a few days later she called her doctor to report feeling sick.

The patient is doing well and remains hospitalized “primarily for infection control,” said Dr. Allison Arwady, Chicago's public health commissioner. People that the women had close contact with are being monitored.

Earlier this week, a man in Washington state was diagnosed with the virus after returning from a trip to China.

Link
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 12:39:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I told the wife about my plight.

Her response: "My darling, I love you but you have to stay in a hotel for a few days. What you catch in Vegas needs to stay in Vegas."
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 12:44:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Are you saying it is stupid to be concerned or stupid to disregard it?

I need to know if I am offended or not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is the thread head in the sand arfcommers show their stupidity
Are you saying it is stupid to be concerned or stupid to disregard it?

I need to know if I am offended or not.
I am offended by your none offense position

Me, I think there is something to be concerned about.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 12:45:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Its the real live movie.  "The Stand" playing out. Oh my gosh!

The DumboRats were right! Trump is the ANTICHRIST!
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 12:47:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Doesn’t seem like that big of an issue. Media distraction from peachment and the dem candidates imploding.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 12:47:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I really hope no one that attended the Rattlesnake Rally was infected.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

maybe we are already.
Even in the huge RR thread, there was at least 1 post mentioning, "I'm sick as a dog, but I'm still coming". I wonder if any of the sick people who attended, had the decency to wear a surgical mask to at least try to minimize the possible chances of passing it to a shitload of other people, all jam packed together?

Between the fact that the vast majority of folks simply don't give a shit about taking measures to avoid spreading shit to others once they themselves are sick, and the whole 'felony mask' laws (not that it stopped a whole lot of people from covering their faces. Just that most sick folks would use that as an excuse, "Oh, I didn't cover my face, because there was a law against it". "How about when you saw hundreds of other people with their faces covered, AND the fact that the law explicitly states that it's illegal to cover your face specifically to inhibit identification, so wearing a surgical mask because you're sick and want to minimize the chance of spreading it, falls under 'reasonable use'?").
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 12:48:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Possible case in Memphis,Tn school Tennessee tech. Student traveled and is showing signs and is under quarantine.
That’s Cookeville TN, 100 miles east of Nashville
Dibs on guns?

P.S.
Dang. Should've guessed I'd be way too late lol. Cars. How about dibs on vehicles?
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 12:54:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Her response: "My darling, I love you but you have to stay in a hotel for a few days. What you catch in Vegas needs to stay in Vegas."
View Quote
Is that free license to catch something else in Vegas?
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 12:55:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Even in the huge RR thread, there was at least 1 post mentioning, "I'm sick as a dog, but I'm still coming". I wonder if any of the sick people who attended, had the decency to wear a surgical mask to at least try to minimize the possible chances of passing it to a shitload of other people, all jam packed together?

Between the fact that the vast majority of folks simply don't give a shit about taking measures to avoid spreading shit to others once they themselves are sick, and the whole 'felony mask' laws (not that it stopped a whole lot of people from covering their faces. Just that most sick folks would use that as an excuse, "Oh, I didn't cover my face, because there was a law against it". "How about when you saw hundreds of other people with their faces covered, AND the fact that the law explicitly states that it's illegal to cover your face specifically to inhibit identification, so wearing a surgical mask because you're sick and want to minimize the chance of spreading it, falls under 'reasonable use'?").
View Quote
I had norovirus and stayed home so I wouldn't infect all the BBs.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 1:00:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You were one of the considerate ones who specifically mentioned that. The last thing I'd want to do is potentially get a bunch of our folks sick, just to not miss a potentially historic moment.

Just like skipping out on Thanksgiving/Christmas when I've been sick, vs the various arfcom threads where people have posted, "Stupid brother-in-law came to Thanksgiving sick. Now everyone else has got it"
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 1:04:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha. I think she would only care if I actually caught something. But I am completely loyal to her. It's too bad I am about to die.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 1:04:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Sitting in line at Disneyland with my kids for the last day with tons of Chinese.   Hope we are good
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 1:05:51 PM EDT
[#16]
China puts millions under lockdown, people are turned away at the hospitals due to overcrowding, starts building a brand new hospital and intends to complete it in 16 days -- to contain Wuhan coronavirus | DW News

China puts millions under lockdown to contain coronavirus | DW News
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 1:07:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sitting in line at Disneyland with my kids for the last day with tons of Chinese.   Hope we are good
View Quote
Coronavirus is nothing to mickey mouse around with......
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 1:07:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Do you mean like negative pressure rooms to contain airborne pathogens? Very few. But it doesn’t matter. The total number of ICU beds is only a small fraction of what would be required for a large outbreak.

Another poster on page 2 stated that there are only about 60,000 ventilators in the US.

We just don’t have the infrastructure to care for large numbers of infectious patients.

I don’t know exactly what a bad outbreak would look like in regards to out acute hospital response, but I think it is safe to say it wouldn’t look like the care that people have become accustomed to. The shortages of vents is what is scary to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How many are 'isolated'?
Do you mean like negative pressure rooms to contain airborne pathogens? Very few. But it doesn’t matter. The total number of ICU beds is only a small fraction of what would be required for a large outbreak.

Another poster on page 2 stated that there are only about 60,000 ventilators in the US.

We just don’t have the infrastructure to care for large numbers of infectious patients.

I don’t know exactly what a bad outbreak would look like in regards to out acute hospital response, but I think it is safe to say it wouldn’t look like the care that people have become accustomed to. The shortages of vents is what is scary to me.
Generally ~20% of ICU beds are negative airflow and so are ~10% of non-ICU beds.

Now you can convert a non-negative airflow room negative if you install a HEPA filter venting system that produces enough airflow. It is also nice to build an anteroom. Not all negative rooms have anterooms though.

Ventilator circuits are HEPA filtered so technically in an emergency you could put ventilated patients in regular ICU rooms... but that isn't best practice because sometimes you break the vent circuit.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 1:13:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Haha. I think she would only care if I actually caught something. But I am completely loyal to her. It's too bad I am about to die.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, you have nothing to lose then!
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 1:14:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Because the Spanish Flu was a worldwide pandemic and we are a still susceptible to such an event. I worry for myDaughter because that's what a Dad does. I hope this is a nothing burger. But I sure as s**t don't trust the PRC, WHO, or any other world power that claims to be looking out for humanity.
View Quote
Same, my four  kids cause me to worry more than before being blessed with them.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 1:25:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Meh

Nothing to be concerned about

China's deadly new virus could have infected 350,000 people in a single city by the end of the month, according to experts who warn doctors are only diagnosing one in every 20 cases.

China went into lockdown today as authorities and businesses scrambled to shut tourist attractions and public transport systems in a bid to stop the spread of the deadly new coronavirus that has killed at least 26 people.

Construction workers are putting in huge efforts to build a new hospital from scratch in Wuhan – the city at the centre of the outbreak – within just five days, after being order to do so by the government.

In a drastic turn of events, part of the Great Wall of China and Disneyland in Shanghai were closed today as authorities desperately try to stop people spreading the Wuhan coronavirus.

Thirteen cities, home to around 40million people, are reported to have followed Wuhan's example and gone into some form of lockdown in the past 24 hours with public transport halted and roads closed.

And a report written by researchers from England, Scotland and Florida, has predicted that a staggering 250,000 – potentially up to 350,0000 – people may be infected just in Wuhan by the beginning of February.

DM
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 1:30:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Totally serious when I say that a Chinese guy with a cough, looking like he can barely move, just sat down next to me on the plane to LAX.

Fuuuuu....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am about to wade through the sea of Chinese people at LAX in an hour, followed by a tip to Tennessee. I will do my part to catalyze the apocalypse. (Kidding! I hope....)

Fuuuuu....
Should be wearing a mask, not all that out of the ordinary these days.

Something everyone should understand, is that not all disinfectants work on all infectious agents. One example is the norovirus GI tract bug isn't killed by common hand sanitizer. I haven't read anything on this particular virus, but it would be prudent to use a combination strategy... example, wash hands with soap & water and then use sanitizer.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 1:40:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Watching people board, I have concluded that approximately 6 people on this plane are not Chinese. 30% are wearing a mask, but I can't remember which type of mask works and which doesn't. How do calculate my odds?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuuuuu....
Have any underlying medical conditions that would impede your immune system?

No?  You'll be fine.  Come back and tell us a story about projectile vomiting across the room.

Also, dibs.
Watching people board, I have concluded that approximately 6 people on this plane are not Chinese. 30% are wearing a mask, but I can't remember which type of mask works and which doesn't. How do calculate my odds?
30% are wearing a mask?

what airport are you in?
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 1:41:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'm not sure the rapid test will help prevent the spread, but it damn sure will help track it faster and provide better intel.

Right now every person who has been to Wuhan, a city bigger than Los Angeles, in the past month and has any symptoms is automatically being treated as a suspected potential case. Most of these people are likely not infected with nCoV, but until we can confirm that even the suspicion of another new case increases tension and panic.
View Quote
The way it prevents the spread is by allowing precious resources to be focused where they are needed:
1. In hospital there are limited isolation rooms, so you don't want to isolate suspected cases forever, you want to confirm and isolate or rule out and make space.
2. Public health personnel are limited so if you want to track contacts the infected had so you can monitor/quarantine to limit spread, you want to make sure you are not chasing false cases.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 1:45:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

maybe we are already.
Or SHOT.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 1:49:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Corpses of coronavirus victims are being left unattended in a corridor of a hospital flooded with patients in Wuhan as the Chinese city is ravaged by the deadly infection, it has been revealed.

The chilling scene, captured by a woman who claims to be a nurse, was posted to the country's social media today but quickly censored.

In a post, the self-proclaimed medical worker described how patients were being sent in non-stop without any quarantine measures, warning that 'everyone will end up being infected and dying'.

The now-removed video was shared onto Weibo, the Chinese equivalent to Twitter,  by a user known as 'magic girl Xiao Xi'.

It was believed to be filmed at the Wuhan Red Cross Hospital, one of the facilities appointed by the government to receive suspected and diagnosed coronavirus patients.

According to a version re-posted on Twitter, dead bodies covered in white sheets were seen being left to lie in a hospital corridor, crammed with medical workers and patients.

A woman, believed to be the blogger, can be heard saying from behind the camera: 'Three corpses, [they] have been lying here all morning. Some of them died in the wee hours. Nobody has come to deal with [them] yet.

'And doctors, nurses and patients, they all work in such an environment. This is what is going on in a designated hospital. Not a single person is here to manage.'

She went on to complain about the fact that even the executives of the hospital could not resolve the issue.

DM Excerpt^

Link to Twitter
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 1:51:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
N95 that is fit tested, not wet, and worn for <8hrs. Droplet masks help but are not fully effective.

But your odds are good. Aircraft have air turnover rates close to a hospital operating room and the air is a mix of fresh external and HEPA filtered recirc.

Turn on that little air vent over your seat to blow in front of your face like a fresh air safety blanket.

Remember, Corona kills Coronavirus, but scotch is more effective.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 2:01:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Matt Tye put this up a few days ago. Apparently they held a giant communal feast in Wuhan after the outbreak was already started.

China's Coronavirus is Much Worse Than You Think
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 2:03:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 2:13:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Or SHOT.
View Quote
Where do you think all the airsoft stuff is from?
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 2:13:59 PM EDT
[#31]
I bet there will be a dozen more in North America by Sunday.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 2:16:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Meh.

When we start talking about 75 million people, then I'll get concerned.  7.5k doesn't even worry me.
View Quote
At 75 mil, it is too late for the snow grains to vote. The avalanche has already begun.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 2:17:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Confirmed cases?

You may very well be right.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 2:18:23 PM EDT
[#34]
This is some scary shit.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 2:24:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Confirmed cases?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Confirmed cases?

Yep.

"bet" probably wasn't the correct word, more like I wouldn't be surprised.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 2:27:18 PM EDT
[#36]
If I remember correctly, the spanish flu started fairly mild, then came back with a vengeance. I am not overly concerned, but I do not think China is being honest. The next couple of weeks will tell, if it is bad they will not be able to hide it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 2:30:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Superbowl security should be interesting this year.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 2:37:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Was the rumor of Reptile based of it having a reptile source,  and Not a natural strain for that to happen. ever confirmed??????
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 3:10:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If I remember correctly, the spanish flu started fairly mild, then came back with a vengeance. I am not overly concerned, but I do not think China is being honest. The next couple of weeks will tell, if it is bad they will not be able to hide it.
View Quote
since it looks like it is now in 4 states plus maybe NY, I dont think we will need to rely on china to figure out if it is bad or not. give it 2 to4 weeks and we will know first hand
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 3:14:14 PM EDT
[#40]
I know I sound like a Luddite, but why in the hell don’t we have flight restrictions for part of the year from some countries?
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 3:19:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Was the rumor of Reptile based of it having a reptile source,  and Not a natural strain for that to happen. ever confirmed??????
View Quote
From what I read it originated with snakes.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 3:24:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 3:32:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
With all the air & train travel, this comes as no surprise.

Ground Zero, being a city of 11 Million or so, has to have an incredible amount of in/out traffic.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 3:35:43 PM EDT
[#44]
The Minister of Health confirmed two cases of coronavirus in France, one in Bordeaux and the other in Paris. The first case, in Bordeaux, was treated during the day by the CHU and was placed "under observation" . He presented himself to the CHU with symptoms of fever and cough. The man claimed that he was returning from China, where he is from, and that he had transited through the Netherlands. He also said he had been in contact with people from Wuhan City, where the new virus spread.

The second case was taken care of and is hospitalized at Bichat hospital. "We know this person has traveled to China, but we do not know if they have stayed in Wuhan," she said. "For travelers returning from China, at the slightest sign, do not go to the emergency room but call center 15," said the minister.

Link
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 4:02:36 PM EDT
[#45]
This seems very bad. I don't think China is being honest. It looks like multiple cases are popping up here. In a week or so we will know just how bad this really is.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 4:57:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Ground Zero, being a city of 11 Million or so, has to have an incredible amount of in/out traffic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I read over 3000 people a day at the airport
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 5:02:50 PM EDT
[#47]
This is going to be bigger than ebola
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 5:12:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Potential North Carolina Case...

DHHS Investigating Possible Case of Coronavirus in North Carolina

The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services is investigating a possible case of infection with the newly discovered 2019 coronavirus. The individual recently traveled to China and passed through Wuhan City, where the outbreak originated, but had not visited the seafood and animal market that was linked to many early cases. This person arrived at Raleigh-Durham International Airport on Jan. 23, 2020. The patient presented with mild respiratory symptoms and is currently in good condition and being cared for in isolation at Duke University Hospital. The Division of Public Health is arranging testing for the novel coronavirus at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). A diagnosis cannot be confirmed at this time. DHHS will update the public as soon as the results from the CDC are available.

"Although it is unlikely that this person was infected with the 2019 novel coronavirus, we are conducting testing out of an abundance of caution," said Dr. Zack Moore, State Epidemiologist. "If you haven’t traveled to Wuhan in the past two weeks, your risk of infection with this virus is very low."

The person did not have close contact with anyone after disembarking at the airport in North Carolina and wore a mask the entire time while at the airport. The person was transported directly to the hospital from RDU for assessment and care using appropriate infection prevention measures. People who were at RDU or the hospital at the same time as this individual was present are not considered at risk for infection. If infection with the 2019 coronavirus is confirmed, DPH will work closely with the CDC and local partners to reach out to people who came in close contact with the person on the airline flights.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 5:14:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Coronavirus - Inside info and discussion
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 5:49:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Why is it that there are no reports of children being effected by 2019-ncov? Seems like if it effects people with compromised immune systems it should effect young children as well but so far it doesn’t look like it is.
Page / 33
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top