Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/29/2013 12:14:29 PM EDT
I was mounting a scope at the LGS and a gunsmith that helps us on big sales came into the store. He saw me putting blue threadlocker on the scope rings and told me I shouldn't do that. He said over time the threadlocker will break down and turn into lubricant and the screws will work loose. Any truth to this or is he just, "I'm older and know better than you boy"?
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 12:16:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Never heard that one before. Melted glue does not = Lube
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 12:17:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 12:17:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Been using Blue Loc Tite for years and my AR gets pretty hot running 3-gun, never had it liquify
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 12:17:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 12:17:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Non-hightemp threadlocker may melt at higher temps, but I wouldn't call it a lubricant and your stuff may work loose. But will take time and constant heat.

Use red threadlocker for those applications.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 12:17:55 PM EDT
[#6]
..it will be a bitch to get the thread locker off...

for scopes I recommend the weaker version "purple" thread locker...

blue is not that bad

Red needs heat

but purple works..

leave the green alone...

and I have never had it "Turn to lubrication"

<----- Professional gunsmith not a chemist..
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 12:18:33 PM EDT
[#7]
FANTASTIC!!!!

Pretty much every rifle, optic, mount and sight in my safe is now SELF-LUBRICATING!!!!!!!!!

Off to threadlock the wife....

ETA: If I'm not back in 20 minutes, call a gunsmith.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 12:20:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Non-hightemp threadlocker may melt at higher temps, but I wouldn't call it a lubricant and your stuff may work loose. But will take time and constant heat.

View Quote

On a scope mount? No thanks.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 12:23:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
FANTASTIC!!!!

Pretty much every rifle, optic, mount and sight in my safe is now SELF-LUBRICATING!!!!!!!!!

View Quote

can I come over sooner..

I kid I Kid
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 12:23:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I use a lot of blue threadlocker.
I highly doubt it.
I've removed things that were loctitied for years and the residue is always dry and crystalline in appearance.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 12:26:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Red doesn't do any better with heat, it's just stronger.  Use Rocksett for high-temp applications.
That being said, if your scope rings are getting hot enough to melt loctite,you're doing it wrong.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 12:30:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Congrats, you met a retard
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 12:34:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

can I come over sooner..

I kid I Kid
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FANTASTIC!!!!

can I come over sooner..

I kid I Kid

I might need an assist.  Do you have one of those little portable butane torches?
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 12:36:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Loctited engine header bolts don't end up lubricated. When removing them they end up having a hardened type of material(loctite) on them, so I'd say it is bs.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 12:38:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I was mounting a scope at the LGS and a gunsmith that helps us on big sales came into the store. He saw me putting blue threadlocker on the scope rings and told me I shouldn't do that. He said over time the threadlocker will break down and turn into lubricant and the screws will work loose. Any truth to this or is he just, "I'm older and know better than you boy"?
View Quote

Suuuuuuuuuure, in the same sense the pitch is a liquid:  Pitch Drop Experiment
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 12:39:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I might need an assist.  Do you have one of those little portable butane torches?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
FANTASTIC!!!!

can I come over sooner..

I kid I Kid

I meant BIG torches...

No.  No I didn't....

Link Posted: 7/29/2013 12:41:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
FANTASTIC!!!!

can I come over sooner..

I kid I Kid

nah...Ill just use a heat gun
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 12:41:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Why not just ask for scientific proof?  Then when he says he can't get it, call BS!!
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 12:41:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I have used it extensively on scope screws with no problems except when WD-40 is used, it will dissolve blue Locktite.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 12:41:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Total BS! I've been using all different types of Loctite products for years, never happened and never will. Almost all of their thread locking products are anaerobic, they set up in the absence of air. No amount of time will change them into a "lubricant". Hope you never let that guy near your guns.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 12:42:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeah, lubricant.

Which is why it's so fucking easy to turn out the fasteners after they've had loctite on them.

Guy's a retard. And I'm an old guy, so I would have had fun telling him that.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 12:48:42 PM EDT
[#22]
I only blue locktite scope base screws that go into a receiver.  The rings don't need them and bases that clamp onto a rail don't need them.  IMO.   I've only had blue locktite seize up on a very, very tiny screw, much smaller than any scope ring screws.  Never seen it turn into oil but they say you can dissolve locktite with new locktite.  Will have to try that on that struck screw one day.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 12:50:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Thread lock will turn to liquid at high enough temps and will loose its'' thread lockiness and let the screws, bolts, nuts, whatever back out. It doesn't turn to a lubricant.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 12:54:12 PM EDT
[#24]
If it has threads, use loctite and mark it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 12:56:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

He's an idiot.

the only way that he is even remotely correct is that if you put it on a part that gets hot enough for it to liquify it will lose its holding ability.  Scope rings don't get even near that hot.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 12:58:13 PM EDT
[#26]
If you're talking about putting 242 on the rings themselves he may be right,the screws on the other hand are fine.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 1:03:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Even if true the correct answer is "who gives a shit".

PROPERLY installed screws are lubed when they are installed.  They do not come loose.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 1:06:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Sounds like there's a market opportunity for Tactical Loctite in FDE for $50 an ounce.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 1:08:42 PM EDT
[#29]
does he boil his guns by chance
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 1:08:48 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Even if true the correct answer is "who gives a shit".

PROPERLY installed screws are lubed when they are installed.  They do not come loose.
View Quote
+1 to this...pay attention to torque ratings too

Link Posted: 7/29/2013 1:11:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Loctite is incredibly slippery when exposed to oxygen.  However when it is in a thread assembly where no oxygen is present it forms a solid epoxy bond.   It is resistant to vibration.  Loctite does break down when exposed to direct heat over 150F.  You can also break the bond by turning it past it's break tq number.

Red Loctite is not recommended for most fire arms applications.  The break number is far too high and the 27x range of loctite is for larger sized bolts where either an impact or heat can be used for removal.

For most firearms applications such as scope ring bolts, mount parts, rail parts, etc.  Use 222 for coating threads before assembly.  or Wicking 220 or 290 for post assembly treatment.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 1:12:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Not shooting a .50, never needed threadlocker on the 06.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 1:14:37 PM EDT
[#33]
You lost me at window-licking fucktard....I mean gunsmith.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 1:16:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Leupold recommends lubing screws only.  So do a few others.  

I used blue locktite only on receiver screws because they tend to be very short therefore you don't get much tensile stretch to hold them tight.   The ring screws and cross bolt screws for rail mounts have enough stretch and don't need adhesive.  Just lube those screws.   Use a torque driver to the specified screw torques and tighten gradually and evenly.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 1:21:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Good to know. I'm going to start running it on my bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 1:21:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

You go to the LGS down the street from me don't you?  Their "AR Guy" is full of brilliant comments.  Every time I go buy lube there he tells me I should be running my AR's bone dry
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 1:23:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Congrats, you met a retard
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2013 1:25:21 PM EDT
[#38]
It's a great comment. Now you know you need to look for a better 'gunsmith.'
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 1:43:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Nope not true.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 1:58:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It's a great comment. Now you know you need to look for a better 'gunsmith.'
View Quote

10:1 odds that the "gunsmith" in question is a relic from the 50's.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 2:08:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Good to know. I'm going to start running it on my bolt carrier.
View Quote

I just heavily lubed your hard chrome LBC BCG with Loctite sleeving compound and then inserted in the upper to full lock.  I lubed the lugs also no need to thank me.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 2:09:51 PM EDT
[#42]
He was trying to be a know it all. Doesn't liquefy one fucking bit, even under heat.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 2:10:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

None whatsoever.

I put threadlocker on screws that hold important components in aircraft engines where it gets significantly hot. The threadlocker is what keeps those screws *IN* the engine, and the important bits attached to it. A C130 engine wiggles and shakes more than your rifle ever will.

As much as I'd love to see what might happen if a Torque pickup, tach generator, or oil quantity xmtr came off in flight and bounced around the inside of an engine, I don't want to have to fix the after effects, so use threadlocker.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 2:13:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Red is for when you absolutely, positively, never want that part coming off again ever.

For extreme high temp applications where you might want it to come off again, use yellow. It's what the Air Force gives us.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 2:15:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Wow....our UAV is filled to the brim with lube then.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 2:47:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
FANTASTIC!!!!

can I come over sooner..

I kid I Kid

Uhhhh...

Change of plans - anybody got a COLD gun???
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 2:51:29 PM EDT
[#47]
That makes perfect sense.  Loc-Tite has made a crap load of money selling a product that actually causes fasteners to come apart faster.  In fact, next time you have a seized up fastener, don't spray it with PB Blaster/Kroil etc., hose it down in thread locker.  

Link Posted: 7/29/2013 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#48]
What should have been a red warning flag flying in your face was you were in the Local Gun Shop.  The guy telling you this BS was probably a jerky selling SEAL.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 3:08:40 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Loctite like most other solutions, separates a little when sitting in the bottle for an extremely long time. I have noticed after a long time that I need to shake it up a little to get it back to normal consistency. I'm sure this chemical genius of a gunsmith observed this and drew his own conclusion that it somehow turns to another product completely. Even when it's a little thin it still dries and works as advertised, just runs a little. Maybe ole Heisenberg the gunsmith can make us some gold from chicken shit.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 3:25:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Did you know that loctite taste delicious,  you can use it as a sugar substitute if you need to
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top