Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/9/2021 4:11:44 PM EDT
Taking a break from things political today. I get one local affiliate channel on rabbit ears. Old rerun of Martial Law is on. Fat Sammo and his lovely subordinate, Kelly Hu, are in life or death physical combat with a team of murderous ninja assasins. One ninjy breaks out the "deadly" throwing stars. Luckily for the lovely lady cop, a criminal, who is in love with her, throws himself in the path of the sailing star. Saves her from being the recipient.

OK, I've seen these stupid thing used in about every martial art movie since the Bluce Ree days. Little two ounce pointy things that might penetrate one 1/2".

"But, but real ninjy masters carried poisoned stars!"

Yeah, the ninjas practiced since childhood with cyanide tipped, razor sharp throwing stars? OK.

This thread will suck without a pic of the lovely lady saved in this episode.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:14:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Always was funny seeing those tiny ninja stars doing so much damage in the movies, now if they made them 12 inches across and they weighed a half a pound that might work
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:15:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Sai are stupid too
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:16:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:16:47 PM EDT
[#4]
No argument from me.

Though to be fair, I believe the original idea was to throw it to cause a distraction, enabling you to do damage with a more significant weapon.

Like other things, the movies have exaggerated their capabilities.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:16:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Per Wikipedia

A shuriken (Japanese: ???; literally: "hidden hand blade") is a Japanese concealed weapon that was used as a hidden dagger or metsubushi to distract or misdirect.
They are also known as throwing stars, or ninja stars, although they were originally designed in many different shapes. Contrary to this nomenclature, the shuriken (ninja stars)[citation needed] were not in the arsenal of those who practised ninjutsu. Modern movies and tales portray ninjas using shuriken, but they were mainly used by samurai and ashigaru soldiers.[citation needed] The major varieties of shuriken are the bo shuriken (????, stick shuriken) and the hira shuriken (????, flat shuriken) or shaken (??, wheel shuriken, also read as kurumaken).
Shuriken were supplementary weapons to the sword or various other weapons in a samurai's arsenal, although they often had an important tactical effect in battle.[1][better source needed] The art of wielding the shuriken is known as shurikenjutsu[citation needed] and was taught as a minor part of the martial arts curriculum of many famous schools, such as Yagyu Shinkage-ryu, Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto-ryu, Itto-ryu, Kukishin-ryu, and Togakure-ryu
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:17:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Always was funny seeing those tiny ninja stars doing so much damage in the movies, now if they made them 12 inches across and they weighed a half a pound that might work
View Quote

That’s why I always keep a circular saw blade tucked into my waistband.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:18:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I always liked being able to kill someone with a star in the movies. HTF does that thing even get through the breastplate?
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:19:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:20:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bruh! Now we are talking!
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:20:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Tell that to this guy.  Oh, that's right, you can't because he's fucking dead.

Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:22:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Rageaholic Cinema: REVENGE OF THE NINJA
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:23:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:24:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Now I want to relive my childhood and get throwing stars.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:25:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/VpHKn5C.gif
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:26:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I stick you in the eye with one then throw one of those exploding smoke ball dealies to disappear and it's like "wtf just happened, why am I half blind?"  Now I am in the shadows stalking your other eye.  Silly indeed..
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:28:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Per Wikipedia

A shuriken (Japanese: ???; literally: "hidden hand blade") is a Japanese concealed weapon that was used as a hidden dagger or metsubushi to distract or misdirect.
They are also known as throwing stars, or ninja stars, although they were originally designed in many different shapes. Contrary to this nomenclature, the shuriken (ninja stars)[citation needed] were not in the arsenal of those who practised ninjutsu. Modern movies and tales portray ninjas using shuriken, but they were mainly used by samurai and ashigaru soldiers.[citation needed] The major varieties of shuriken are the bo shuriken (????, stick shuriken) and the hira shuriken (????, flat shuriken) or shaken (??, wheel shuriken, also read as kurumaken).
Shuriken were supplementary weapons to the sword or various other weapons in a samurai's arsenal, although they often had an important tactical effect in battle.[1][better source needed] The art of wielding the shuriken is known as shurikenjutsu[citation needed] and was taught as a minor part of the martial arts curriculum of many famous schools, such as Yagyu Shinkage-ryu, Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto-ryu, Itto-ryu, Kukishin-ryu, and Togakure-ryu
View Quote

Wiki is edited by like two 300 lb leftist, basement slug, neck beard types. One of them likely just saw my thread here and whipped that bit up to discredit. The [better source needed] notation is a dead giveaway.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:28:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

They are illegal in CA

Part of the same comprehensive Ninja control scheme that also banned nunchucks, saps and spiked gloves.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:29:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/VpHKn5C.gif
View Quote

Solid post

Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:30:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I stick you in the eye with one then throw one of those exploding smoke ball dealies to disappear and it's like "wtf just happened, why am I half blind?"  Now I am in the shadows stalking your other eye.  Silly indeed..
View Quote

I'm liking the cut of your jib, sailor.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:31:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I want the hat you can throw over your opponents head and then it cuts it off...edit....
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:31:28 PM EDT
[#21]
There are still some stuck in the saguaros at my parents' old house. Must have been those other kids.

Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:31:57 PM EDT
[#22]
They are illegal in CA    
View Quote

Legal in Kentucky.  Specifically mentioned as being legal for CCDW, along with nunchuks.

Note;  I have never carried either and don't know anyone who has.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:33:49 PM EDT
[#23]
She's not guilty.

that said, stars create distance.  If the other guy has a sword or spear, he may hold back.  Distance is needed for E&E.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:33:58 PM EDT
[#24]

Those look more like caltrops than ninja throwing stars.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:34:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Well I have never hit myself in the nuts or head with a throwing star like I have with nunchucks....  
Hand me a pair of nunchucks and you will be safe, not so much if you hand me a bunch of throwing stars.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:35:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I disagree. In the fictional lore of the never existed ninjas you throw the stars, and other crap like big darts, to slow pursuers as much to kill them. For example you throw them into an unarmed portion of a leg.

I think I could whack someone pretty good with a throwing star.

Manriki gusari is way dumber. It's a short sword or axe like hand weapon with a chain on the shaft. You're supposed to throw the chain around your enemy, tangling him up, then poke him with the sword end
View Quote

A lot of the chain type weapons are made to disable a sword or even break the blade. Period katanas are not the strongest steel.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:37:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Well I have never hit myself in the nuts or head with a throwing star like I have with nunchucks....  
Hand me a pair of nunchucks and you will be safe, not so much if you hand me a bunch of throwing stars.
View Quote

Ever hit yourself if the funny bone with chucks full speed?

Lets just say I only have 1 pointy elbow.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:38:10 PM EDT
[#28]
If you're bothered by the misrepresentation of feudal japanese weapons in movies just remember how contemporary firearms are represented in entertainment. It's entertainment where their use is dictated by a group of people with no idea what they were for or capable of but they'll make it look cool.

FWIW historically shuriken were distraction devices. Think like a flashbang. I'm sure those using them may have been proficient enough to be fairly accurate at short range so they'd hurt but the purpose was more so they or a buddy could layer an attack with something more effective.

The rest of the asian martial arts weapons we see in movies were not well represented historically. They're things that gained traction in modern recreational martial arts then ported over to movies as if they were widely used historically. All the weapons that look like agricultural tool derivatives were just that. Agriculture tools pressed into use as improvised arms. Not things carried into battle by organized soldiers. The bulk of archaic weapons from the bronze age to the dawn of firearms were pretty universal the world over. Long sticks with pointy ends, bows, and swords for the elite. Everything else was basically the equivalent of parsley on the plate.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:38:18 PM EDT
[#29]
IT'S TAPE!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:38:32 PM EDT
[#30]
https://www.instagram.com/p/CIGz05Njmw3/?igshid=o8v6ko7i1xrp
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:39:03 PM EDT
[#31]

My DVD/Blueray collection is rather paltry, but that is SO about to be in it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:40:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I always liked being able to kill someone with a star in the movies. HTF does that thing even get through the breastplate?
View Quote

Maybe ninjas discovered Carfentanil  
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:40:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

RazorFist kicks ass!

The people that bought my parents' house asked about the shuriken. And the darts.

Neighbors' kids.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:43:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had a throwing knife when I was a kid, it was always cool to stick it into a tree. :D
Never did get a grappling hook though.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:45:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If you're bothered by the misrepresentation of feudal japanese weapons in movies just remember how contemporary firearms are represented in entertainment. It's entertainment where their use is dictated by a group of people with no idea what they were for or capable of but they'll make it look cool.

FWIW historically shuriken were distraction devices. Think like a flashbang. I'm sure those using them may have been proficient enough to be fairly accurate at short range so they'd hurt but the purpose was more so they or a buddy could layer an attack with something more effective.

The rest of the asian martial arts weapons we see in movies were not well represented historically. They're things that gained traction in modern recreational martial arts then ported over to movies as if they were widely used historically. All the weapons that look like agricultural tool derivatives were just that. Agriculture tools pressed into use as improvised arms. Not things carried into battle by organized soldiers. The bulk of archaic weapons from the bronze age to the dawn of firearms were pretty universal the world over. Long sticks with pointy ends, bows, and swords for the elite. Everything else was basically the equivalent of parsley on the plate.
View Quote

I keep seeing defenders here saying "Muh distraction weapon!". If you sling one of those stupid little ninjy stars and it sticks in my nipple, you will now have my full and deadly attention. I'm sending a hollow point your way.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:45:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
No argument from me.

Though to be fair, I believe the original idea was to throw it to cause a distraction, enabling you to do damage with a more significant weapon.

Like other things, the movies have exaggerated their capabilities.
View Quote

close.  targets were major muscle groups (thighs, pecs) to degrade an opponent's ability to fight.  secondary benefits were distraction and anti-pursuit.  i read an essay by one of the last practitioners of a very old school (names escape me), who was bemused by movie representations of shuriken.

samurai fought dirty.  their attitude was very similar to contemporary military attitudes: if you're in a fair fight, you planned badly.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:47:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Back before antibiotics, a poopoo tipped throwing star could ruin your day.

Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:48:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If you're bothered by the misrepresentation of feudal japanese weapons in movies just remember how contemporary firearms are represented in entertainment.
View Quote

QFT
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:49:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Sai are stupid too
View Quote

Not if you actually know how to use them.

They are weapon/limb catchers, so, if you know how to use a Sai properly, you can catch a weapon/limb, lock it up, then counter attack. You don’t stab with them; the hilts are used for punching.

Think of them as a Main Gauche in each hand that can be used offensively.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:49:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I had a throwing knife when I was a kid, it was always cool to stick it into a tree. :D
View Quote

I made my own grappling hook...

It broke...

So did my tailbone.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:49:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

They are illegal in CA

Part of the same comprehensive Ninja control scheme that also banned nunchucks, saps and spiked gloves.
View Quote

Not legal to possess in public, but arguably legal to keep at home.  I own several of them.  

BTW the California code that generally bans them has exceptions for martial arts instructors.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:50:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I lusted after throwing stars back in the '80s, think it was a Philly shop who advertised in the martial arts magazines.  Not sure  I ever thought it through to the point of figuring out which occasions they were best suited for.  Probably a drunken party, and someone else's wall.  Never did buy any of Chuck Norris's gusseted kicking jeans either.  

I do have a grappling hook.  When I moved from NJ to CO, a climbing partner surprised me with one as a departure gift.  I had a habit of encouraging his uncertainty when he was leading by yelling supportively, "Throw the grappling hook!"  Cool guy, Lenni Lenape descendant and a longtime Atlantic Highlands family, but lost touch.

Throwing knives, okay, there is a target in my yard.  One of my daughters really got into that for a while.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:56:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Back when I was a wee lil Tenderfoot, one of the oldest young men in the troop politely asked me to stand tall in front of this tree. He throws two Chinese stars that stick into the tree above my head. I figured this is the initiation ritual so I’m just going along with it.
Just as he throws a 3rd one, a scoutmaster happened to walk out the door and see it flying.

That was his last time at Boy Scouts. He’s a bail bondsman now.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:57:31 PM EDT
[#44]
File Shuriken next to Caltrops or The crude smoke/flash bombs that were used by the historical Ninja. They were used to cover their escape or as a distraction during combat.

Ninja also did not wear black uniforms that scream “I am a ninja!”. Disguise and stealth were the mainstay, not dead giveaways.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:57:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Stars aren't for everybody OP.  It takes strong, quick upper body strength to become proficient and deadly.

I know they're not ninja weapons but You might be better off trying boomerangs. Much easier to score a hit when targets are close though.. I can zing em like flying lawn mower blades.

Link Posted: 1/9/2021 5:03:54 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't know, I saw a documentary once where it was stated they were thrown through the gate of the eye to kill someone.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 5:06:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It broke...

So did my tailbone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It broke...

So did my tailbone.
Ouch!

I hope it still hurts.

Link Posted: 1/9/2021 5:07:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I disagree. In the fictional lore of the never existed ninjas you throw the stars, and other crap like big darts, to slow pursuers as much to kill them. For example you throw them into an unarmed portion of a leg.

I think I could whack someone pretty good with a throwing star.

Manriki gusari is way dumber. It's a short sword or axe like hand weapon with a chain on the shaft. You're supposed to throw the chain around your enemy, tangling him up, then poke him with the sword end
View Quote

Or to get your opponent to drop their weapon/guard.

The Manriki Gusari is dumb but it's like pistol braces.  It exists because of weapon laws that prohibited carrying swords.   Lots of martial arts melee weapons are former farm implements.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 5:12:12 PM EDT
[#49]
All I know, is that a kid a wanted one so bad.  I used to see them walking around flea markets but my parents wouldn’t let me have/buy one.  (To be fair, I also wanted a red Michael Jackson Thriller jacket too, and they also said no to that ... so I can tell they loved me and protected me from myself.)
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 5:13:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top