Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/2/2023 3:46:28 AM EDT
I've had half a dozen or so foreigners as guests over the years. Most of them great, maybe one or two that I should have called the INS.

I'm hosting some new family from across the pond in a month or so.

My plan as is: get them to some regional foods,
explain why NYC is a shithole that deserves a nuke,
MAYBE take them shooting (they seem skittish), and otherwise be my mostly normal charming and genteel self.

Anything that foreigners or Brits in particular want to experience that they usually miss out on? They're solidly middle class afaik, in either country. In the northeast currently

Timeline is probably 2 days with me

Half of me wants to set out a plate of all kinds of stuff with a mountain of cheesewiz delicately sprayed on each. 'Ahvin a LAFF with em, takin the piece, ya know bruv
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:06:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Might take em shotgun shooting, trap & skeet, they might be able to relate to that.  If they love it, then stop by the machinegun rental.

If you're in the south? some solid BBQ.

Neighborhood brew pub or other bar that has a multitude of American beers on tap, they will likely prefer the darker stuff, might not like our hoppy IPAs.

Pool was a big thing when I was at Uni, but that was 30 years ago.

Might just take em for a 3 hour drive through the country, give em a sense of how big this place is.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:17:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I worked for a multinational company a few years ago. Teams would get sent to us from all over Europe. Not to be Debbie Downer, but we hated it when the British showed up. The French, Danish, German and even Russian guys were much nicer. The Danes were fantastic.
    To illustrate, they and drivers license and rental cars. One came in throwing a fit about how America sucked, they actually sell knives, deadly weapons at the gas stations. He went on and on, finally he stopped and asked our team, a group of maintenance techs, if we had knives. We all said yes. He stormed out screaming about he couldn't do his job, if he was afraid he'd be murdered constantly.   Hopefully YMMV
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:22:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Shackle them, then make them work as indentured servants for 6 years, ask them how it feels.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:23:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Cant offer any advice, but giving them a can of potted meat and crackers has got to be better than any food they have there.  A good friend was there for three weeks and said the food was down right disgusting, said he lost close to 20 lbs in the time from not eating and sick from what little he ate

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:41:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shackle them, then make them work as indentured servants for 6 years, ask them how it feels.
View Quote

Sounds suspiciously like a potato eater

I'll make fun of the king, if that's any solace
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:43:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Comforts of home are always a nice touch. Make them a good cup of tea - remember, whole milk, and the milk goes in the cup before the tea, otherwise you scald the milk.

I'm sure you can find videos of proper English tea making.

ETA:

If your friend had 20 lbs to lose in three weeks, he had a problem before he got there. English cuisine has come a long way in the last 40 years. If all else fails, eat fish and chips once a day, it's not hard to find a pub.

Quoted:
Cant offer any advice, but giving them a can of potted meat and crackers has got to be better than any food they have there.  A good friend was there for three weeks and said the food was down right disgusting, said he lost close to 20 lbs in the time from not eating and sick from what little he ate

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:46:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Leave toothbrushes and toothpaste for them.

*It's a joke*
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:47:57 AM EDT
[#8]
We had my wife’s extended family visit from the UK.  They LOVED shooting.  Especially the evil black rifles and hand guns.  

For meals they really enjoyed BBQ and dinner at the local burger joint.  

They also enjoyed renting a car and venturing out on their own for a couple days.

It was a very pleasant visit.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 5:02:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Take them to see a local gun shop and a large one such as Cabelas - their minds will be boggled by it.

(I’ve done exactly that with a Brit and it made quite an impression.)

Also, driving through local towns on regular roads (as opposed to Interstate highways) to see how average folks live was useful.

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 5:02:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Take ‘em to a supermarket. Have an explanation ready as to why there’s numerous types of the same item… (even if there’s shortages of some stuff)

Also… American flags are commonly flown by Americans at their homes.
Not just government buildings
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 5:05:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Brits try Southern Biscuits and Gravy for the first time!

Tell them it is like haggis.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 5:23:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 5:26:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Would be easier if we knew which state you are in, or at least a region.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 5:57:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Leave ammunition just laying around the house, and watch them flip the fuck out.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 6:03:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Leave a large bowl of sugar in the guest bathroom so they can brush their teeth.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 6:14:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I worked for a multinational company a few years ago. Teams would get sent to us from all over Europe. Not to be Debbie Downer, but we hated it when the British showed up. The French, Danish, German and even Russian guys were much nicer. The Danes were fantastic.
    To illustrate, they and drivers license and rental cars. One came in throwing a fit about how America sucked, they actually sell knives, deadly weapons at the gas stations. He went on and on, finally he stopped and asked our team, a group of maintenance techs, if we had knives. We all said yes. He stormed out screaming about he couldn't do his job, if he was afraid he'd be murdered constantly.   Hopefully YMMV
View Quote

A successfully emasculated subject, brainwashed to fail—hard to believe they were once colonizing the world.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 6:26:18 AM EDT
[#17]
I've always pretended to forget their names and resort to calling the men "little lord fauntleroy" and the women "m' lady".

Also, on the fridge I have flag magnets, the tricolour is always over the union jack.

"Hey, Lil lord fonzie.  Go fetch me a bottle of Miller and don't fuck with the magnets."  - you get the idea.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 6:54:38 AM EDT
[#18]
First chance you get, take their tea and throw it in the pool then say "We told you f'ers about this once already didn't we?"

Honestly don't try and replicate their tea or food, if the want tea...invite them to make it.

They will probably be far more interested in the local food anyway than your interpretation of what you think English food is.

Take them shopping and tell them "grab what you want."
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 7:04:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Depends on where you are/planning to travel in the US.  Depends on their interests of course but I have had good luck taking visitors to historical sites, particularly Civil War battlefields.  They like the cannons and monuments, love hearing about the personalities involved and like buying the souvenirs.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 7:06:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Half of me wants to set out a plate of all kinds of stuff with a mountain of cheesewiz delicately sprayed on each. 'Ahvin a LAFF with em, takin the piece, ya know bruv
View Quote

First, it's "takin' the piss."

Second, where do you live?  The response will vary if you're in Kansas versus Florida.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 7:07:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Remember tea time.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 7:56:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've had half a dozen or so foreigners as guests over the years. Most of them great, maybe one or two that I should have called the INS.

My plan as is: get them to some regional foods,
explain why NYC is a shithole that deserves a nuke,
MAYBE take them shooting (they seem skittish), and otherwise be my mostly normal charming and genteel self.

Anything that foreigners or Brits in particular want to experience that they usually miss out on? They're solidly middle class afaik, in either country. In the northeast currently

View Quote

Take them to the dentist. And afterwards, take them to a good restaurant.

There is no good food in England. All they ever eat is kippers for breakfast and greasy fish and chips.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:26:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Remember tea time.
View Quote

Get some big boxes of tea, dress up like Indians, and throw the tea in a large body of water.

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:27:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:28:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Remember tea time.
View Quote

Use the Kuerig, act like you're doing them a huge favor.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:30:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:32:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
First chance you get, take their tea and throw it in the pool then say "We told you f'ers about this once already didn't we?"

Honestly don't try and replicate their tea or food, if the want tea...invite them to make it.

They will probably be far more interested in the local food anyway than your interpretation of what you think English food is.

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:32:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Ask them if they have a loicense to do whatever they they are wanting to do.

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:34:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Guns, bourbon, BBQ, fast cars, big trucks, and the great outdoors. All of the stuff they don't really have is what they need to see.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:39:04 AM EDT
[#30]
We had some Brits at work jerking off over sales fliers from cabelas and CTD, so sone guys took them shooting.

They loved it while there, then started bitching about the dangers of guns in America.

Fags

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:40:19 AM EDT
[#31]
I was working with a group of British engineers that were here for several weeks.

I took them to an indoor range one day. They all had fun.

The funniest part was the one fellow who we helping to load magazines.
I noticed his hands were shaking and asked if he was ok.
He said he was just nervous since he knew if bumped the silver spot while loading it would explode in his hand.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:40:52 AM EDT
[#32]
If you do take them shooting, here is your target.

Attachment Attached File

https://targets4free.com/fourth-of-july-redcoat-shooting-target/
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:41:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Leave ammunition just laying around the house, and watch them flip the fuck out.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:43:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hang these in the bathroom.  Tell them it's all the bathrobes you had.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:44:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:45:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:46:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:47:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Whatever you do, don't let them cook.

I'd agree on the tea too. Let them make it if they want it.  If they didn't bring any with them, they might bitch about the local selection as well.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:49:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

You might want to find out the make up of the family... a pregnant mother with a couple of toddlers is going to be a different proposition to a working mother with a couple of 12 year olds.

They're solidly middle class afaik, in either country. In the northeast currently.
View Quote

You're in the NE? Or they're in the NE? NE England, NE of Britain (that has that scotland bit stuck on top)? Very different attitudes.

You might want to consider hiring a translator.

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:51:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Tell them this is the best Scotch you have had.

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:51:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Leave toothbrushes and toothpaste for them.

*It's a joke*
View Quote

I would add deodorant to the list.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:54:04 AM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

They'll likely believe you...

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:54:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Unless OP has an electric kettle they won't know how
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:56:05 AM EDT
[#44]
they will be easy, very polite people, but dont fail to mention your family came from ireland because  of lack of potatos, then take them shooting.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:57:52 AM EDT
[#45]
I’d say 90% of people from the UK don’t event know that the US was colonized by the English, let alone the war of independence.

When my parents come over they have a blast.

My Mum loves how friendly people are (we are in the south). And my Dad loves guns, fishing etc
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:01:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Serve them spotted dick at dinner.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:02:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:20:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc6SK2N1jrA

Tell them it is like haggis.
View Quote

Just watched some more of those. I NEED to try that banana pudding.

Pretty sure I’d be the size of a house if I lived there.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:27:33 AM EDT
[#49]
They will appreciate an electric kettle to make tea.

American barbeque is probably the number one thing they should experience aside from guns. Maybe a few of the big box stores like Walmart or Costco.

Take them for a drive out in the middle of nowhere for no reason and then keep going for 6 hours so they get a good idea of the size difference. Lots of Europeans don't "get" how big the rest of the world is.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:28:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top