Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/2/2008 11:41:11 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
what about a carbon composite crowbar since we are talking about exotic metals?

How well would a cf bar hold up?
\

That's just stupid.  It would be okay for knocking a hole in drywall, but not for pulling the nails.

It's burnt string and glue.

Not to mention it is extremely fragile, flexible.

Jesus people, if you want something that is simply light, get a crowbar made of balsa wood, or maybe paper mache', or better yet, styrofoam...
Link Posted: 10/2/2008 11:48:03 AM EDT
[#2]
That is one heavy duty zombie killing stick...
Link Posted: 10/2/2008 12:17:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'd get a FUBAR too, while I'm at it.

Link Posted: 10/2/2008 12:30:39 PM EDT
[#4]
We have one made out of berylium. It's for prying on magnetic shit that goes boom. Honestly the prybar and pinch bar being one of my more favorite tools. I'd say go to the pawn shop you can probably find the one you want give it some tlc with wd40 and a green scrubby pad and vwallah the skull basher 5000.
Link Posted: 10/2/2008 12:37:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I want a heavy-ass crowbar.  When I smack somebody something with it, it needs to have MASS to do real damage.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2008 1:05:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You never know.
You might have to pry something out of a MRI scanner someday...

...when the power switch is jammed in the 'on' position...and the electricity can't be cut....

Or the more routine fatass stuck in the machine.  Just hook that prybar in there and heave until zilla pops forth like a cork.  It could work
Link Posted: 10/2/2008 1:14:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Wrong metal, avoid the tacticool poser bullshit.

Steel is mo betta, and your wallet will thank you.
Link Posted: 10/2/2008 1:15:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why, in the BLUE FUCK are you people paying $160 for a wrecking bar?

We have pry-bars, wrecking bars, crow bars,ect that have been in the family for 80 some odd years, and they are fine. I dare say we have used them as much as a tool of that nature can be used.

+1

It's a fucking bent metal stick

Tools don't come much simpler.
Link Posted: 10/2/2008 1:22:28 PM EDT
[#9]
$160 for a prybar = fail

I like a little weight in a pry bar. Unless you have a very specific purpose that needs to have a Ti bar, I'd just get a regular one.

This thread kinda reminds me of the one where the guy wanted a non-conductive wedding band, so he wouldn't have to take it off when he worked on shit.
Link Posted: 10/2/2008 1:27:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
$160 for a prybar = fail

I like a little weight in a pry bar. Unless you have a very specific purpose that needs to have a Ti bar, I'd just get a regular one.

This thread kinda reminds me of the one where the guy wanted a non-conductive wedding band, so he wouldn't have to take it off when he worked on shit.

That guy missed the point.

lol
Link Posted: 10/2/2008 1:39:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I HAVE A Ti CROWBAR.

I got it at US Cavalry for about 35 bucks. It was Russian designed and produced, full size bar.

I love it. I find it much easier to use, as it is much lighter. Especially when one must be somewhat precise.

So far, so good.
Link Posted: 10/2/2008 7:14:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Did I just read that someone said that steel does not spark?
Link Posted: 10/2/2008 7:16:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Titanium crow bar 18'' Non-Magnetic Hypoallergenic

Nickel allergies are very common and I'd imagine that cheaper hand tools probably have some nickel in them if not coated with it.

Ni is higher priced than Ti
Link Posted: 10/2/2008 7:22:33 PM EDT
[#14]

What wrong wid da crowbah we got?   what kinda crowbah we got? crowbah we got werk priddy good.....

for you opie and anthony fans.

Link Posted: 10/2/2008 7:26:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd get one made out of machinable tungsten.

Just for the cool factor.
Link Posted: 10/2/2008 7:30:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nickel allergies are very common and I'd imagine that cheaper hand tools probably have some nickel in them if not coated with it.

Are you sure about that?
Link Posted: 10/2/2008 7:53:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you sure about that?

got a current sale for 7.80 per lb for Ni-200

my current sale for CP-Ti is 2.45 per lb

>
Link Posted: 10/2/2008 8:56:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
$160 for a prybar = fail

If he's wearing rubber gloves to work with shit why worry about the ring?  Or is his shit conductive?  Most guys I know wear gloves when working with shit.
Link Posted: 10/2/2008 11:51:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you sure about that?

>

Isn't that Ni an alloy and the Ti just Ti? Wouldn't that make a difference in the price?
Link Posted: 10/3/2008 11:26:55 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you sure about that?

>

Isn't that Ni an alloy and the Ti just Ti? Wouldn't that make a difference in the price?

backwards

the Ni is 99.47% Ni with trace elements\

the Ti is CP-Ti which is the most common usage Ti and it is 96.95 Ti with 1.7 Fe and trace elements

rarely do you see anything made out of pure Ti.
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 12:43:03 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

[>://[>://

Are you sure about that?

>

backwards

the Ni is 99.47% Ni with trace elements\

the Ti is CP-Ti which is the most common usage Ti and it is 96.95 Ti with 1.7 Fe and trace elements

rarely do you see anything made out of pure Ti.

The "commercially pure" threw me, I assumed it was pretty much pure Ti.
How do I go about buying a couple of pounds of that Ti from you?
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 12:52:13 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I used to work in the medical equipment repair field and we had a variety of hand tools made out of titanium to work on or around MRI machines.  This is because it is non-magnetic.

Unless you are in a similarly specialized situation it would be a complete waste of your money.

How do you piss off an NMR (MRI) tech?  Throw a handfull of staples at his instrument!
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 1:03:56 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Steel doesn't spark.

Titanium is as light as aluminum and as strong as steel.

It's actually a little heavier than aluminum and weaker than steel by volume, it's about twice as strong as either by weight.

Steel is way better for edges, titanium gets brittle at a much lower hardness. I would imagine a titanium crowbar wouldn't wear very well, be sweet to have in an emergency though.

Let's put some numbers to it

Density

Aluminum - 2.7
Titanium - 4.5
Iron - 7.9

That makes Ti almost double the density of aluminum and about 1/3 lighter than iron and steel.
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 1:12:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Titanium is a very cool metal, but its not suited to a prybar.

I have a ring made of solid Titanium. My dad got a guy at his works' dad (whom has a small hobby machine shop) to machine them out of this Titanium tube from one of the tools he was working on (he does Oilfield tool repair work. The big arse ones that go downhole to measure stuff)

Its light, and VERY comfertable. Warms up really quickly when you wear it.

I also have a bunch of chunks of Titanium from broken tool parts (again from my dads work) and its just cool stuff.

Doesn't wear very well (most pieces were junked because they had a worn out spot) or because of broken pin loops, but FUCK that stuff has a high compressive strength

And titanium does spark IF you can get it to, its bright white. Its hard to get it to spike without a grinder or something tho.
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 1:26:51 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
We have one made out of berylium. It's for prying on magnetic shit that goes boom. Honestly the prybar and pinch bar being one of my more favorite tools. I'd say go to the pawn shop you can probably find the one you want give it some tlc with wd40 and a green scrubby pad and vwallah the skull basher 5000.

Those tool kits were old when I was in. I'm surprised you guys still have them.

We had a jackass put  beryllium axe on a grinding wheel once. Wasn't sharp enough for him.
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 1:33:06 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We had a jackass put  beryllium axe on a grinding wheel once. Wasn't sharp enough for him.

yikes.
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 2:35:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Tag!!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 3:56:42 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'd get a FUBAR too, while I'm at it.

www.qwikfast.co.uk/catalogue/images/stanxlfubar.jpg

+1 FTW!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 4:00:19 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

It's burnt string and glue.

You owe me a keyboard. My Dad will love that one. Those composite guys always think they are the shit.
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 4:14:33 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
$160 for a prybar = fail

If he's wearing rubber gloves to work with shit why worry about the ring?  Or is his shit conductive?  Most guys I know wear gloves when working with shit.

IIRC, he was a welder...
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 4:27:20 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Clearly someone who has never hit a nail with a hammer.
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 4:27:25 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
You never know.
You might have to pry something out of a MRI scanner someday.

Yeah- like the chump who walked by with a steel crowbar and is pinned to the side of the machine!
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 4:27:37 AM EDT
[#33]
People always seem to leave out the part: "per unit weight"

Ti is stronger than steel per unit weight.  So if I have 1lb of Ti and 1lb of Steel to make a rod out of (both the same length).  The Ti one will be stronger because it will be larger in diameter.  Ti is less dense so to make two rods the same weight and same length the diameter on the Ti one has to be larger which then makes for a stronger rod.

So if I went to buy a prybar and saw a Steel one and a Ti one and they were the exact same dimension (length and diameter) then the Steel one will be stronger and the Ti one will be lighter.

Link Posted: 10/4/2008 5:13:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 5:18:29 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Whats wrong with the steel ones?

They don't cost enough and get along with gravity too well.

No tactical coolness either.
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 5:20:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Been meaning to pick up one of those Stanley FatMax crowbarhammermultitool things to throw in the trunk.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 5:20:50 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, did he have to go the hospital?
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 7:03:29 AM EDT
[#38]
http://www.materials.com/Titanium_tools.HTML

Link Posted: 10/4/2008 8:16:11 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
If your going to spend $160.00 on a crowbar might as well go all out spend an extra 20-40 and get this

www.chiefsupply.com/images/products/200/22000600.jpg
The Hooligan Bar.
When forcible entry is a must...

Fully the BOMB for getting into someplace the occupants don't want you.  Houses, cars, small safes it is a great tool.

Joe
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 10:08:58 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

This guy is only a bit bigger of a jackass than the guy who designed and buikt a beryllium AXE in the first place.
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 10:31:29 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Clearly someone who has never hit a nail with a hammer.

For the love of God, please don't tell this guy about where hamburger comes from...
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 11:43:46 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
For the love of God, please don't tell this guy about where hamburger comes from...

I've heard that some people make them out of ground beef?
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 11:54:48 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
If your going to spend $160.00 on a crowbar might as well go all out spend an extra 20-40 and get this

www.chiefsupply.com/images/products/200/22000600.jpg
The Hooligan Bar.
When forcible entry is a must...

Incorrect.

That is a "HALLIGAN" tool.   Several sizes are made.  They're the firefighter's forcible entry/break things tool of choice.

CJ

Link Posted: 10/4/2008 11:58:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Jesus Chris man. It's a fucking crowbar. I've been using the same $20.00 steel crowbar for 20 years and can honestly say I've probably used it more and tore more shit up with it than most people on this board. What next, diamond-tipped nails?
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 1:29:02 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Jesus Chris man. It's a fucking crowbar. I've been using the same $20.00 steel crowbar for 20 years and can honestly say I've probably used it more and tore more shit up with it than most people on this board. What next, diamond-tipped nails?

Spot on!
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 1:31:06 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Steel doesn't spark.

Titanium is as light as aluminum and as strong as steel.

So, it's a tool for women. Got it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 1:37:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Wal-mart has steel crowbars for less than$7, why go with Ti?
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 1:49:03 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a form of eczema that is agitated by nickel and cobalt. It causes tiny blisters the size of the tip of a bic pen on the sides of my fingers.
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 2:16:48 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a form of eczema that is agitated by nickel and cobalt. It causes tiny blisters the size of the tip of a bic pen on the sides of my fingers.
why not wear gloves
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 3:18:36 PM EDT
[#50]
this entry tool looks like its full of win.

fubar
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top