Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 3:15:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Excellent info, I was always wondering how they were controlled.  How is computer stuff transmitted to remote power units?  Cellular?
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 7:05:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

@brakeman123

That is correct, they do have the rail cleaners. But, sometimes they are detrimental when you're trying to sand a rail. Especially after you stall on a grade. It can and will blow all the sand off the track when you attempt a restart if you shove back and start again. Had it happen a few weeks ago. 100 loaded coal cars stalled on a 2.5% grade is no fun. The worst is leaves in the fall. Snow and rain really aren't too big of a deal. But leaves are like David's slingshot to Goliath's head for trains on a grade. Rain makes it slick, but, the tractive effort software compensates for it, plus we run a lot of locomotives that are heavy ballasted for increased traction. 432,000 pounds versus 412,000. Plus steerable trucks help a ton too.

@M82Assault

Out of all of that, you're only allowed a maximum of 3. Trip Optimizer software will cut them in and out as you go to save fuel. So, you don't even have to technically have them in "Run" in the cab. You can leave them in isolate, then you can cut them in on Positive Train Control on the head end and then T.O. will isolate them on its own or put them in Run. It's like autopilot for trains. The engineer just sits there and monitors it and takes over when it gets below a certain speed or acts up.

View Quote

Huh, interesting.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 7:06:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Excellent info, I was always wondering how they were controlled.  How is computer stuff transmitted to remote power units?  Cellular?
View Quote

Good old fashioned radio waves IIRC, but I'll let the pros correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 7:17:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 7:30:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Does it ever get boring rolling through the country in a train?  Every time I see one I think of freedom and riding through beautiful places on train tracks.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 7:44:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice photo honoring the military. Seen a lot of CSX machines on a daily basis, but none like that. Did get an occasional UP engine with the American flag. That made one pause in respect.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 8:33:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for posting this HighMountainWrangler
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:18:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

@wildearp

More or less it's a cellular type connection, kind of like extreme Bluetooth. You have your DPU remote consist, and your head end consist, and you link your controlling unit to one designated remote unit. Through the MU cables between the locomotives, that remote unit then controls the other remote units just as your head unit controls the other head end units. So, you pull up, the engineer has to walk to the remote units, he sets them up to be linked up, then comes back to the head unit and links them up. Whole process takes 10 or 15 minutes.

Quoted:
Does it ever get boring rolling through the country in a train?  Every time I see one I think of freedom and riding through beautiful places on train tracks.

@fender_fella

It does, especially when you've done it so many times on the more mainline route. Some of our more remote Subdivisions don't because I'm always watching and admiring the scenery or watching for deer and bear, or looking at old landmarks. Or I've got the window open enjoying the weather. You're not allowed cell phone use while in motion, so basically you're confined to staring out the windows, calling signals, or finding something to read on your company tablet, or trying to have a conversation with your engineer. Most of them are cool but some aren't interested in talking, which makes for a long day. It's even worse at night because you can't see anything in the dark except straight ahead. And a lot of our work is done in the dark. It's even worse when you're tired and exhausted, staying awake is a challenge. Especially now that they have the in-cab cameras watching you.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:46:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Pretty cool locomotive.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top