Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 11:40:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Shit, I could used that tool a few times !
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 11:40:52 AM EDT
[#2]
my Snap-off Racketing screwdriver from 25 years ago, I love that thing - so smooth
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 11:41:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Slide hammer nail puller.
Used one for pulling cemented ring shank nails out of decking.  Pulled nails that a long crowbar wouldn't budge due to the way it grips the nail not the head.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 11:41:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you don't have an oscillating tool, get one.  101 uses.[/url]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
If you don't have an oscillating tool, get one.  101 uses.[/url]
They are nice to have

Quoted:
Also, I had no idea why anyone would buy an impact driver when a drill does the job just fine.
Holy hell, it's like the difference between shooting a bullet and throwing it.
I was in the same boat and holy shit yeah, impact drivers are SO much better for driving and removing screws (go figure right? lol)

Quoted:
Knipex pliers. Literally any of them. I thought they were just overpriced channel locks. Nope they are all fantastic.

Knipex pliers wrenchs and knipex water pump pliers are great but I prefer NWS for tools like dykes, linemans, Needle nose, etc..
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 11:41:53 AM EDT
[#5]
For my RF boys

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 11:45:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Bought mine from Sears.  Lisle brand, IIRC, that's just a generic amazon pic.  I wouldn't have been able to do the heater core on my WJ 3 times without them.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 11:48:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
my Snap-off Racketing screwdriver from 25 years ago, I love that thing - so smooth
View Quote

Seconded, I own 2.  First one is black...Kept setting it places and temporarily losing it.  Second is blaze orange...kept leaving it lay and losing it also.
The problem may have been me and not the color...or they like to hang out with my 10mm sockets.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 11:51:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Does it compensate for the length of the unit?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 11:53:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've been a air tool guy for a long time.  With today's cordless tools though I now only turn on the compressor to air up tires and blow things off.  What a waste of a 80 gallon
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For me, it was an air compressor that could run air tools.  I've been a bit of a tool whore most of my adult life as it's really nice to have the right tool for the right job but only within the last year made the jump into air tools.  Absolute game-changer.
I've been a air tool guy for a long time.  With today's cordless tools though I now only turn on the compressor to air up tires and blow things off.  What a waste of a 80 gallon

Same here.  I've actually moved away from air tools.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 11:54:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Festool Track Saw with vacuum. Amazing tool.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 11:54:25 AM EDT
[#12]
16" drum sander

No halfway serious woodshop should be without one.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 11:54:45 AM EDT
[#13]

Geared loppers.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 11:56:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Those pliers that ratchet hose clamps open and keep them open.

Holy shit they are nice
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 11:59:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

They live up to the hype.
I have a full set of cobras and pliers wrenches.
Their snips are also fantastic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Knipex pliers. Literally any of them. I thought they were just overpriced channel locks. Nope they are all fantastic.

They live up to the hype.
I have a full set of cobras and pliers wrenches.
Their snips are also fantastic.

Damn it this place cost me money  Which is better the alligator or the cobras?

That hose clamp tool is genius and would of save a bunch of skin on my knuckles and swearing.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 11:59:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:01:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Took me a minute to realize what that was and what it does.

Now I know what I'm getting my dad for Christmas.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:03:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Knipex for AR lower assembly is the best.  Simply squeeze those roll pins into place...
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:03:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Slide hammer set. Mine typically gathers dust for about 5 years at a time, but man, it's a life saver when you need it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:08:57 PM EDT
[#20]
25 years ago, cordless drill. Started with a dewalt 12v, now milwaukee 18v master race. Use it more than any power tool now, probably.

I like the laser tools too. Horizontal/vertical, and plumb bob. I wish i could find an adjustable model so I could do angles on the wall for hanging stuff, or visualizing if something would work, etc. No, i don't mean the ones that go along the wall, but the kind that would project the beam on the wall, like the vertical/horizontal models.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:10:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:11:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Also, I had no idea why anyone would buy an impact driver when a drill does the job just fine.
Holy hell, it's like the difference between shooting a bullet and throwing it.
View Quote

How much actual work do you do with fasteners? A little being 1 and making four trips to Fastenal a week being a 10?

Because I have a really good idea why impact drivers exist and beat the hell out of a drill. I have about 4 really good ideas from torque applied to your hand (fatigue) to being easier on fastener heads.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:12:21 PM EDT
[#23]

I finally broke down and bought one a few years ago. Use it once every year, maybe if that, but I smile like a schoolkid when I do just remembering life before I had it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:17:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
For me, it was an air compressor that could run air tools.  I've been a bit of a tool whore most of my adult life as it's really nice to have the right tool for the right job but only within the last year made the jump into air tools.  Absolute game-changer.

I can't remember the last time I used my big compressor or opened the air tool drawer in my toolbox.
Have on board air in one truck (ARB twin), a CO2 tank in the other and a Viair portable for tires.

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:20:26 PM EDT
[#25]
I've posted this before but these zip tie snips, that have wire stripper integrated are a panel makers or cabling guy's best friend.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GI23WA?tag=arfcom00-20

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:26:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Attachment Attached File

So nice when you need to do exhaust work without waking up the neighbors.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:26:25 PM EDT
[#27]

I don't know how many t post I've wiggled back and forth on and then pulled by hand before I discovered this thing.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:26:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Knipex smooth jaw adjustable locking wrench....expensive, but literally the best thing ever made for installing roll pins in ARs. Pounding is for noobs!

Also, Milwaukee Surge hydraulic 1/4” impact drivers are great! No ear ringing like regular impacts. I have the M18 Fuel, will be buying M12 Fuel Surge asap.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:26:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pliers wrench FTW
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:27:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Milwaukee M18 shop vac.  

Linky

Honestly, probably the best $100 bucks ive spent on a tool.  Good power, good suction, and its quite portable.

The M18 electric grease gun is also awesome.  Particularly if you need to adjust track tension.  

And a good zip tie gun is worth its weight in platinum.  I have a hellermantyton that i will never, ever get rid of.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:30:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Milwaukee M18 shop vac.  

Linky

Honestly, probably the best $100 bucks ive spent on a tool.  Good power, good suction, and its quite portable.
View Quote

The most annoyingly loud, piercing whine I have ever heard a tool make.
It does work quite well though. Mine gets used just about every day at work.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:30:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

https://ifacountrystores.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/TPOSTPGY.jpg

I don't know how many t post I've wiggled back and forth on and then pulled by hand before I discovered this thing.
View Quote

Oh hell yes!  I forgot all about that one;  one of the best forty bucks I've ever spent.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:31:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Oetiker clamps

@midcap

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:32:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I've posted this before but these zip tie snips, that have wire stripper integrated are a panel makers or cabling guy's best friend.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GI23WA?tag=arfcom00-20

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71pUoH0aQ9L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
View Quote

Do they cut the zip tie tails clean or leave a panel full of little plastic razor blades?

I use a pair of Kinpex flush cutters that are designed basically just for zip ties. Cut flush and smooth.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:35:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Good Screwdrivers

Whia is my current favorite
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:37:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Crow's foot sockets.
I changed an O2 sensor a couple years ago and borrowed a set from Autozone.
I have my own set now.
Fuckin' awesome!
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:38:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Angle Grinder and Drill press.  Those 2 tools are far more useful than I ever thought they'd be.

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:40:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Do they cut the zip tie tails clean or leave a panel full of little plastic razor blades?

I use a pair of Kinpex flush cutters that are designed basically just for zip ties. Cut flush and smooth.
View Quote

Good question.  I can't say i've noticed, but usually i'm in a panel which is only open on rare occasions.

For disassembly they'll change your life.  The little 'hook' on the end of each blade makes removing zip ties quick and clean, without worry of also cutting the wire the zip tie is holding.  Even when someone has tightened the tie so tight it's indented the cable bundle.

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:41:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So many to list, but I just bought my first oscillating tool recently and for the job I needed it for it save me about an hour and a lot of pain.  

Impact driver is a must.

Also these are fantastic.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61rMBXKHblL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
View Quote

You took my first thought.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:43:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:44:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Painter's tool
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:45:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:49:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:50:44 PM EDT
[#44]
+1 on the Knipix

Was gifted a set of diagonal cutters when i was 15, 25+ years later they're still sharp and not chewed up. And I've abused the hell out of them.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:55:01 PM EDT
[#45]
The weed eater. I grew up chopping weed in the orchard.  When in Viet Nam I saw my first weed eater. I couldn’t wait to get home and tell Dad about it only to find out he had one!  He said he bought it because I wasn’t there to chop weeded.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 1:02:57 PM EDT
[#46]
For those that feel impact drivers are loud, there is this, the Makita XPH10Z Oil Impulse driver.  I just switched from my old dewalt 2Ah ni-cad and upgraded to this Makita li-ion with 5Ah batteries.  It's a bit more pricey but I'm loving it so far.  We'll see how long it lasts.  

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 1:03:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Basin wrench
View Quote
This.

It has only one use but it makes the job so much easier that it's worth buying one if you use it only once.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 1:03:35 PM EDT
[#48]

What is it?

These threads are always costly
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 1:10:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Came to post this.  

Also, must have these if you work around anything automotive.

Attachment Attached File

Going to get one of these to see how I like it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 1:10:48 PM EDT
[#50]

That tool is one of my favorites in my drawer filled with "love it, not sure where it came from, and no clue what it does" tools.

I always hope it will be just the thing one day though.

My legit tool recommendation...

Saved me 90% of the cost of replumbing my pool manifold when I changed the pump, pump location, etc. I was able to reuse the valves, 90's, etc. What a godsend, and I just happened to see a picture of one and it clicked what it was so I searched. Had no idea such a thing existed. Just 2 days ago shared the concept with a friend and he was equally blown away.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top