Page / 10
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 12:59:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Challis bushing extractors for the win!
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 1:01:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you don't have an oscillating tool, get one.  101 uses.

https://empire-s3-production.bobvila.com/articles/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/91ITBMGfFsL._AC_SL1500_-650x433.jpg

Also, I had no idea why anyone would buy an impact driver when a drill does the job just fine.
Holy hell, it's like the difference between shooting a bullet and throwing it.
View Quote

This, I've used the shit out of mine.  I think I torched it on my last job cutting out a sink though.  It gets so hot you can't hold onto it any more.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 1:04:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Another tool I can't live without now is my 3d Printer.  A tool that makes tools, jigs, accessories, and gun parts.

Thingiverse Links for things you can print even if you can't draw:
Tools
Gun Parts
Stuff I have put out

View Quote

Awesome post.

I haven't fired up my 3d printer in weeks. Time to change that!
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 1:06:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

https://empire-s3-production.bobvila.com/articles/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/91ITBMGfFsL._AC_SL1500_-650x433.jpg

Also, I had no idea why anyone would buy an impact driver when a drill does the job just fine.
View Quote

Came here to post this.

Also to add stepped drill bits

Like these
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 1:19:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Knipex wrench. Unlike regular adjustable wrenches that are always loose these clamp down on the fastener with a shit load of force.

Link Posted: 9/21/2021 1:42:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Another tool I can't live without now is my 3d Printer.  A tool that makes tools, jigs, accessories, and gun parts.

Tools
Gun Parts
Stuff I have put out

View Quote

saved, thanks! A 3d printer is on my christmas list
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 1:50:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I discovered impact screwdrivers in my early 20's.

https://data.kleintools.com/sites/all/product_assets/hires/klein/70220_photo.jpg
View Quote

I bought one of these to get the door hinges off an old GM car (giant philps head screws).
It didn't budge them.

But what it did give me is a 3/8 adapter and giant screw tip. Put both of those on my big Milwuakee impact, set it on low and leaned into it.
Popped all of those screws loose with not a single slip and without breaking a sweat.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 1:52:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You can certainly get creative with a surface grinder, but fixturing gets to be a pain for anything complex and if you buy an off the shelf fixture for cutter grinding, it costs more than a D bit grinder.
View Quote

I'm going to pay $1200 for the punch former but it is just a nice spin indexer. I'll use it for lots of stuff.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 1:52:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hookaroon for firewood processing…. Don’t know how I lived without one.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54198/617AE04C-B6C4-4647-B615-5D7DBBD691FD-2094260.jpg
View Quote

I think i need one.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 1:57:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Did not discover these until this summer while transferring fuel on a boat. A shake siphon. Soon as i saw how well they work, i bought three.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/21/2021 1:57:27 PM EDT
[#11]

I have the surface cleaner. It works really well.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 1:59:03 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Came here to post this.

Also to add stepped drill bits

Like these https://shop.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/9/1/91616_W3.jpg

I have a set of "real" unibits and several sets of the cheapie HF ones.
The HF ones work 99% as well as the real ones at like 1/10th the price.
Just don't sideload them in thick metal, they explode.

Link Posted: 9/21/2021 2:02:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://ifacountrystores.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/TPOSTPGY.jpg

I don't know how many t post I've wiggled back and forth on and then pulled by hand before I discovered this thing.
View Quote

First time i saw one of those i fabbed one up. They are awesome.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 2:05:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Angle Grinder and Drill press.  Those 2 tools are far more useful than I ever thought they'd be.

View Quote

I've not used my cutting torch once since buying my first angle grinder and cut off wheels.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 3:59:21 PM EDT
[#15]

My dad thought I was nuts when I bought my cordless brad nailer and finish nailer.  Said it was stupid to buy them for one project.  I've used the piss out of them since to the point that even he has admitted it was a good purchase.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 4:52:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Milwaukee M12 Fuel 3/8 " ratchet,    stood there for 5 minutes contemplating buying this or stringing air hose,    worked well,  will use often.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 6:20:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 7:55:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Tools
Gun Parts
Stuff I have put out

View Quote

Careful there. Mods/admin don't want direct links to gun parts like receivers and such.
(Did not click your links to check)
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 8:31:16 PM EDT
[#19]
EZ Red 1/4" Stick

1/4" bit driver on one end and 1/4" socket on the other. It is the thinest 1/4" drive I can find. Also flex head on both ends.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 9:02:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thanks! That's going on the list along with the hose clip tool.
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 9/22/2021 8:01:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 12:02:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Careful there. Mods/admin don't want direct links to gun parts like receivers and such.
(Did not click your links to check)
View Quote

That's pretty sad.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 4:58:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I had the 1st gen version. it was not good. the newer one is much better. it is loud AF though. I guess its a case of suction, quiet, small, pick two.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Milwaukee M18 shop vac.  

Linky

Honestly, probably the best $100 bucks ive spent on a tool.  Good power, good suction, and its quite portable.

The most annoyingly loud, piercing whine I have ever heard a tool make.
It does work quite well though. Mine gets used just about every day at work.
I had the 1st gen version. it was not good. the newer one is much better. it is loud AF though. I guess its a case of suction, quiet, small, pick two.

I can tell you that the little Dewalt handheld vac is also impossibly loud. Like shoving your head in an F18’s intake duct.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 5:00:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Now that is cool, something I am likely to never need, but thanks to you now I know it exists if I do!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
These, I spent years dialing in boring bars, and ordering, or grinding precision reamers before an old toolmaker turned me onto these! Some lapping compound, and a little tweaking is all it takes to dial in a precision hole.
https://i.postimg.cc/50NWHrZ5/C0-BDF204-CC06-4325-AB85-08-E8-E40679-E1.jpg
Now that is cool, something I am likely to never need, but thanks to you now I know it exists if I do!

Got an example of what you do with these?
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 5:04:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
They're how I found Knipex.  Ordered a clamp kit and the crimpers were Knipex.  

Instant addiction.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oetiker clamps

@midcap

Thanks!

Hey Hey!

They are fantastic. And the non name brand ones are not very expensive either
They're how I found Knipex.  Ordered a clamp kit and the crimpers were Knipex.  

Instant addiction.

The ones Holley sells for fuel line clamps are Knipex (with a markup).
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 7:15:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
These, I spent years dialing in boring bars, and ordering, or grinding precision reamers before an old toolmaker turned me onto these! Some lapping compound, and a little tweaking is all it takes to dial in a precision hole.
https://i.postimg.cc/50NWHrZ5/C0-BDF204-CC06-4325-AB85-08-E8-E40679-E1.jpg

If you have a hole that you need to hit a very specific size but don't have/can't justify an endless amount of reamers, it will let you dial in the diameter very precisely. Or even if you need a specific surface finish for whatever reason, you can polish it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 8:55:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I use my calipers so often that I have several of them just so I don't have to walk around there wherever it was I left them last.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Digital caliper. I mean we all know what a caliper is, but I never realized how useful this thing is, like $25. I boughtit to measure a couple of things, figured I would send it back to AMZ, it gets a lot of use.

+1, useful AF.

I use my calipers so often that I have several of them just so I don't have to walk around there wherever it was I left them last.

I upgraded to a good one (Mitutoyo) this summer.  The calibration check in our test lab was dead on.

Short flex head ratchets are pretty awesome, especially the fine tooth ones and Gear Wrenches.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 9:48:16 PM EDT
[#28]
For anyone that builds electrical panels or strips a lot of wire.

Greenlee, xcelite and Phoenix Contact brand labels and sells these.

Make sure you get the ones with 4 blades instead of the one with 2 parallel blades.  
Blade cuts 4 sides of the wire.  

Very light and fits in your back pocket without punching holes in your clothes.

I never use my Klein or Ideal strippers any more.  

Not for Romex.  Just for MTW and THHN type wires.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 10:14:17 PM EDT
[#29]

I'm going to need some details.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 10:37:35 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

I have the craftsman branded version in 1/4" and 3/8", quite useful
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 10:41:49 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

I have the craftsman branded version in 1/4" and 3/8", quite useful
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 1:45:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Fucking thread keeps costing me money.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 3:10:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/256621/Capture_PNG-2094361.JPG

So nice when you need to do exhaust work without waking up the neighbors.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 11:18:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Impact drivers do a lot that a drill can’t. An impact driver IS NOT a drill, which is why you can’t just throw a drill bit into it without using an adapter.

For example, you can’t drive lag bolts with a drill. And if you’ve ever had your car in a shop none of the mechanics were using drills. All their tools are designed for 3/8” and 1/2” drivers.

Drivers are for when you need torque. It’s a Diesel engine. Drills are gas engines,
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 11:36:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Wobble impact driver extensions.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 11:40:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol, completely false

Impact driver >>> drill

Your average DIY fudd probably won't notice the difference, but as a tradesman (electrician) i use the impact driver 98% of the time and it's the most commonly used tool on all jobsites amongst all trades
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 11:45:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Lol, completely false

Impact driver >>> drill

Your average DIY fudd probably won't notice the difference, but as a tradesman (electrician) i use the impact driver 98% of the time and it's the most commonly used tool on all jobsites amongst all trades
View Quote
I think you missed what he said
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 11:49:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Lol, completely false

Impact driver >>> drill

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, completely false

Impact driver >>> drill

See emphasis.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 12:47:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
my Snap-off Racketing screwdriver from 25 years ago, I love that thing - so smooth
View Quote

I bought this in 1993 and still using it on a regular basis.

Funny story - I bought it when I worked at an auto glass company. Snap-On was having a special. Normally it cost $100 but they were offering it with a free pair of safety glasses - for $105. I told the dealer to skip the special and just sell me the screwdriver. He refused

Now you can get them at Lowe’s for under $20.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 2:19:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Impact drivers do a lot that a drill can’t. An impact driver IS NOT a drill, which is why you can’t just throw a drill bit into it without using an adapter.

For example, you can’t drive lag bolts with a drill. And if you’ve ever had your car in a shop none of the mechanics were using drills. All their tools are designed for 3/8” and 1/2” drivers.

Drivers are for when you need torque. It’s a Diesel engine. Drills are gas engines,
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/25/2021 6:43:10 PM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51TQ2POBueL._AC_.jpg

Yep. That’s what I’m talking about. Those are special bits with the adapter built on to the bottom of the bit. They cost more so more expensive to replace when they break.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 6:28:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I use the Knipex Cobra and pliers wrench daily. Awesome tools.

The Milwaukee Surge hydraulic impact driver is freaking hands down the best driver I've used. Quiet and it will run a 3" no. 10 screw in like it's not even there. It is supposed to be less powerful than a standard noisy impact driver but I only drive screws so I can't tell the difference. I haven't driven log screws yet but I'm sure it would work fine.

If mine broke I'd have another one by the end of the day.

View Quote
Agree about the Milwaukee "Surge" impact driver.  I got the 12v version a few months ago because I was sick of my 18v impact leaping off my belt and landing nose-first on the concrete.

I got the "Surge" version because a co-worker had shown me his "Surge" with the hydraulic drive a couple years ago.  It is far quieter and has a few level settings do you don't over-torque and strip stuff out.  Really good tool.

Milwaukee does a shitty job of marketing and promoting these.  I had to hunt for the "surge" among lots of similar Milwaukee products, and their ad copy totally didn't explain or make me want to buy this.  I wasn't even sure it was the same thing my buddy had been using, they were so vague about it.

The belt clip is better but not great au least I can stuff it in a belt pouch to be more secure.  Gotta make wire rope lanyards for my stuff....

BR

Link Posted: 9/26/2021 6:39:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, learned that one when needing to drill through brick.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 6:47:13 PM EDT
[#44]
fucking Palm Nailer. Best invention ever
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Funny story - I bought it when I worked at an auto glass company. Snap-On was having a special. Normally it cost $100 but they were offering it with a free pair of safety glasses - for $105. I told the dealer to skip the special and just sell me the screwdriver. He refused

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/180048/2194B3D9-A783-44A6-B4B9-7A0D38B310EA_jpe-2104775.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
my Snap-off Racketing screwdriver from 25 years ago, I love that thing - so smooth

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/180048/2194B3D9-A783-44A6-B4B9-7A0D38B310EA_jpe-2104775.JPG

Had one and it was worth every penny
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 7:34:02 PM EDT
[#46]
An Alemite grease gun with a real coupler…will never use a auto zone grease gun ever again.  It’s so much better.  No leaks, no drips, big volume of grease on each pump, easy to change cartridges…all around worth it.  

Link Posted: 9/26/2021 7:40:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
An Alemite grease gun with a real coupler…will never use a auto zone grease gun ever again.  It’s so much better.  No leaks, no drips, big volume of grease on each pump, easy to change cartridges…all around worth it.  

View Quote

I use a Milwaukee battery powered grease gun with a lock-n-lube coupler. It’s awesome except on really hard to reach zerks.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 8:24:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Impact drivers are not the same as a hammer drill or rotary hammer.

Impact drivers and impact wrenches use rotational impact. Hammer drills impact axially.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 8:25:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Duct tape
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top