Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 5:04:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, a SAGE Complex. EF-5 would just scour the concrete some.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 5:08:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would only consider any structure "tornado resistant".
View Quote

The survivability of any structure really depends on two factors.  1. How strong the tornado is.  2. How long the tornado stays on top of or next to your house.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 5:15:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 5:18:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The survivability of any structure really depends on two factors.  1. How strong the tornado is.  2. How long the tornado stays on top of or next to your house.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

3. What debris the tornado has to throw at it
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 5:18:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is it possible to build a tornado proof home?  I am considering escaping the mitten when my wife loses her battle with cancer and I'd like to move into the TN,KY,MO,OK area, but I hate thunderstorms and tornados.

Now I understand tornado shelters are fairly easy, but I'd like to be able to roll down the steel shutters and hunker down.

Does such construction exist for under say 400K for 1200 sqf or so..
View Quote

Sure,

concrete / underground of some kind.

Link Posted: 2/20/2023 5:18:52 PM EDT
[#6]
People keep mentioning Hurricanes. That is comparing apples to cumquats.
E5 Tornado has a smaller footprint but is more destructive within that footprint.  200+ MPH winds
Cat 5 Hurricane has a larger footprint but is only 157 MPH winds.

What will withstand a hurricane will be trashed by a tornado, if it passes directly overhead or within Honda tossing distance.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 5:20:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Concrete smooth as glass and 4 feet thick with no sharp edges or angles

Link Posted: 2/20/2023 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#8]
One thing to consider is that the worst case scenario is being put forward as an almost expected thing. The really big tornados are notorious, but actually rare. Jerrel, Joplin, El Reno, etc. The last EF5 happened about a decade ago. Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas have old buildings. They don't get wiped clean every few years.

"Tornado proof" isn't a thing. That point has already been beaten to death. Build sturdy and include a decent hole in the ground nearby.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 5:32:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes you can. You will need cbs blocks with poured concrete and a 6" pouted roof. You will need an engineer to design it to minimize wind load sot it will be a ranch amd not very tall. A very good solid tie beam will be key. Also some interior walls to be cbs with rebar connecting to the roof will be need to support the weight. It can be done that's for sure.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 5:33:08 PM EDT
[#10]
It's called a basement. Really worried, get or build a bomb/blast shelter.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 5:33:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I worked in armored cars for 25 years and one thing I had to do time to time was recover cash from bank vaults after being hit with tornado's.  Never saw a vault that did not hold up.  However, the insides would be wet top to bottom.  Can't imagine what it would be like inside while it was going by, dark, unbelievable wind and water shooting thru the interior.  After that you would have to wait for the bulldozer to clear the rubble so the vault door could be opened.

Here is one that was solid after the door was cleared for entry:

Attachment Attached File

Here is the view from inside the vault looking out:

Attachment Attached File

Walk in freezers don't do to bad.  Not sure how they are constructed.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 5:38:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I was in the process of moving into a Del City apartment as I watched that go by(1999).  About a quarter mile away from me, entire square miles of neighborhoods gone, even the sidewalks and grass.
No home can survive a big tornado like that one.  You just get underground as it goes by and keep your insurance premium paid up.
View Quote

I was watching the radar, and went over to my dad's house near 89th & Penn.  Then the tornado started tracking North, so I got to watch it pass by to the south of me.  All the phones were down, so i started making my way over to my girlfriends house near 27th & Eastern in Moore.  I was able to drive over Shields before the closed it off.  I literally saw people climbing out of debris in the neighborhood on the North side of 12th.  That tornado was crazy.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 5:40:06 PM EDT
[#13]
An ICF house with a non-vented attic and properly designed truss roof can be rated to survive 250mph winds.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 5:41:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Monolithic domes have survived massive tornoadoes and hurricanes, when properly built.

Link Posted: 2/20/2023 5:44:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I wonder what a flak tower costs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I wonder what a flak tower costs.

This might be underkill

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

3. What debris the tornado has to throw at it

Considering that anything short of a rail road engine can be picked up and tossed, and I wouldn't count on an entire train not flying around.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 5:44:52 PM EDT
[#16]
The tornado line has shifted East the last few years. Places like Alabama, Mississippi, and Tennessee are getting more than their share now. I have an above ground shelter in my garage. It's supposed to withstand an F15 if there was such a thing.

Link Posted: 2/20/2023 5:47:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Monolithic domes have survived massive tornoadoes and hurricanes, when properly built.

View Quote

There is one out near Blanchard, OK that took a direct hit.  It couldn't be repaired.  The owners built a new one to the south of it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 5:52:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I've designed a couple dozen underground houses over the last forty years. They're not cheap, and a lot of folks don't like 'em, but none of them have blown away.

All you really need is an indoor "storm room".  I've done several hundred of them and they're all still there as well.

Link Posted: 2/20/2023 5:53:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

There is one out near Blanchard, OK that took a direct hit.  It couldn't be repaired.  The owners built a new one to the south of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of the flaws of a monolothic dome is that the exterior is normally basically a liner and foam.  To be properly built for a tornado or hurricane you have to use mesh if not rebar and concrete on the outside as well.

It basically doubles the cost of the shell at that point, and you still have weak points from all the windows and doors.

Link Posted: 2/20/2023 5:55:41 PM EDT
[#20]
You're probably better off making a solid underground storm shelter or at least installing one of those above ground storm closets in your garage or something.

As said even a really tough house will still get trashed with a direct hit. If you're really that concerned than try to build into a hill opposite the typical tornado tracks, which for around here would be ~NorthEast.

Also trying to find a location outside of where the main historical tornado tracks go is also a good start for buying or building.
https://mrcc.purdue.edu/gismaps/cntytorn.htm#

Link Posted: 2/20/2023 6:00:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Not above ground.

Think about picking up an 18 wheeler and hurling it at a house.

Even if it was made of solid I beams and concrete, there would be damage.

I've seen it suck the asphalt off the road.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 6:10:51 PM EDT
[#22]
In 2017 43 people were killed by tornados, world wide. That same year 89 people were killed by bees.

I would look at building a bee proof house first.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 6:19:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Monolithic Dome would do it
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 6:19:40 PM EDT
[#24]
I assume a concrete house with minimal windows should do okay. But it would probably look like a rectangle.

Link Posted: 2/20/2023 6:19:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Good home owners insurance and a good sized tornado / safe / vault room is all you need. I live in tornado country and have a small inground tornado shelter. I will build a safe room inside my next home.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 6:21:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Sorry about your wife.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Sort of related question -

If you live in the boonies what kind of tornado warning systems are in place, if any?  I'm guessing you just need a weather radio and leave it on
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 6:23:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

One of the flaws of a monolothic dome is that the exterior is normally basically a liner and foam.  To be properly built for a tornado or hurricane you have to use mesh if not rebar and concrete on the outside as well.

It basically doubles the cost of the shell at that point, and you still have weak points from all the windows and doors.

View Quote

The one that I saw was cracked like an egg.  I have no idea what smacked into it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Sort of related question -

If you live in the boonies what kind of tornado warning systems are in place, if any?  I'm guessing you just need a weather radio and leave it on
View Quote

You can hear the test sirens where I live.  In 60 mph winds....not so much.  

Lots of people get in their cars and try to stay perpendicular to the track by generally driving south and east.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 6:34:56 PM EDT
[#30]
I've been in an F4.   It sucks the pavement up from the ground.  

Build what you want.  Make it durable.   Insure it qell.  Live your life.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 6:40:09 PM EDT
[#31]
ICF home is your best bet. But an underground shelter is still recommended.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 6:40:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Check out Smiling Woods Yurts web site.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 6:42:20 PM EDT
[#33]
It can be done

Read the specs for tornado safe rooms at schools
Lots of thick solid concrete walls
Lots of specialized thick glass
Heavy thick reinforced steel doors

Maybe even a thick concrete roof?
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 9:20:58 PM EDT
[#35]
An ICF house with a concrete roof will do pretty well. It may still be significantly damaged by a storm, even if the inside survives.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 9:36:34 PM EDT
[#36]
underground probably, low cement dome possibly (and much less expensive).
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 9:38:22 PM EDT
[#37]
No roof in the world.

Link Posted: 2/20/2023 9:48:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Read the 3rd paragraph.

Jarrell Texas
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 10:03:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Are there even tornados in very hilly areas like east TN? Put a house on the NE side of a hill?
View Quote

We had a former member here that had convinced everyone that he was a genius.  He decreed that tornados wouldn't affect the portion of Texas he lived in because he lived in the Hill Country area of Texas.  I mentioned the Waco tornado; nobody thought it could/would happen there because Waco is surrounded by hills.  That tornado didnt seem to give a damn about those hills.  Anyways he went to college, I didn't, what do I know, he's smarter than me.

Damned shame this map wasn't around when ol' Keith was bloviating here.

Tornadoes, EF-scale, and Tracks Since 1950

And what about all those tornadoes in the west Texas mountain chains...

Link Posted: 2/20/2023 10:10:58 PM EDT
[#40]
It’s not THAT the wind is blowin’ , it’s WHAT the wind is blowin’.

Link Posted: 2/20/2023 10:22:31 PM EDT
[#41]
I'd be confident in this.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 10:46:37 PM EDT
[#42]
I think the closest you can get is underground or reinforced geodesic home.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 10:48:24 PM EDT
[#43]
I think they have something like that off Orange Ave in Ft Pierce FL. Drove past it hundreds of times.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 10:54:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Just have good insurance and a storm shelter. You will be ok.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 10:56:28 PM EDT
[#45]
I can relate, lived in KY 54 years, had a basement for 18 years. Oh, there is a tornado coming go to the basement gets old.

Now live down the street from the ocean, have block house, hurricane windows, but still ... Oh a category 4 hurricane is coming better leave is bullshit. Yea, I'd like to have a house where I throw up a middle finger to severe weather and ignore it but I ain't rich enough.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 11:09:38 PM EDT
[#46]
A guy I know built one in Jamaica all reinforced concrete including the roof guy was

a really talented carpenter he had all the plywood and rebar shipped down from here

all the plywood he used was from previous jobs ,it cost him very little when it was done

just really concrete costs and interior exterior materials to finish the job .
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 11:26:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Probably best to stay where you are.

I saw the May 3rd 1999 tornado take close to a foot of topsoil up.  

The 2013 tornado killed one of my friends, and wiped my cousins house down to the slab.  

Plus the weather is incredibly erratic.  We normally get about 10 really nice days a year.
View Quote

The stuff of nightmares
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 11:34:20 PM EDT
[#48]
You can do a room, reinforced concrete walls and ceiling, steel inside opening door. Lower in the house is better. I’ve seen pictures of houses totally gone but safe room perfectly intact.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 11:38:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Geodesic dome. Weird looking but they absolutely work
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 11:38:13 PM EDT
[#50]
I should have put a concrete roof on
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top