Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 136
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:00:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If they lost power, managed to dump ballast, and surface with no coms they could have suffocated on the surface since the thing doesn't have a hatch.   Plausible or not?
View Quote
Possible but it would also have been infinitely easier (but still tough) to find the sub on the surface versus it being submerged.

After watching the video of them assembling the thing and reading the court case my current theory is it imploded/flooded due to fatigue when they lost contact ~2 hours in. I doubt they did anything much to inspect that shitbox between dives. If the damn viewport was only rated for 1300 meters I have serious doubts that thing ever even had 96 hours worth of air onboard. If it did it was probably on the assumption all the electrical/systems were working to keep scrubbers and everything else going.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:00:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Sooo... moving on. Who should star in the made for TV documentary about this company?
View Quote

Seth Rogan.

*awkward stoner laugh* heh heh man I think the controllers fucked up heh heh
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:02:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
O2 Time 0:00

RIP
View Quote
I believe there's still a few more hours before O2 runs out. Even once it runs out it still takes some time for the crew to actually suffocate. (So a few more hours after that)

Personally I think the crew might already be dead, but from something else. (I.E. sub imploded)

I hope either way the sub is recovered, ideally with the crew still alive.

The whole expedition seems like Darwin Award material to me, mainly due to the lack of failsafes/emergency systems on the submarine.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:02:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I thought they tracked this thing from the surface with side scan sonar completely through the mission. That’s how they let the crew know where to drive the thing to end up at the right spot.

I keep hearing they lost comms with the sub but no one brings up the side scan tracking.

Even with no comms they should know exactly where it is via the side scan sonar tracking.

If the ship lost the tracking via sonar AND the comms at the same time then it likely imploded.

What an I missing here?
View Quote

What you’re missing is that it’s beginning to look like there were reasons they didn’t show all their cards early on. They let the world assume there were basic failsafes in place, like an emergency tracking system.

Apparently there never was.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:04:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:06:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sooo... moving on. Who should star in the made for TV documentary about this company?
View Quote

Gotta fit Morgan Freeman in there somewhere:
As the smart black guy, who says they needed some smart 50yr old white guys.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:09:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Michael Drives Into A Lake - The Office US
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:10:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Plot twist: the trouble was not caused by the shortcuts taken in building the sub but by an unrelated external factor such as getting tangled in a fishing net, snagged on the titanic, suicidal passenger, etc.  ocean gate is vindicated when they find the sub and they continue building tin cans and people continue paying for rides.  
View Quote

They were 1 hour 45 minutes or so into the dive when they lost comms. Pretty deep for a fishing net.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:12:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
so one hour away from 0% Oxygen.
View Quote
It wouldn't matter if they have all the O2 in the world available to them.
Sitting in 36o F ambient temps with light clothing and maybe
a bottle of water for 96 hours? Your dead.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:12:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It could be worse. You could see a giant pair of tonsils as it is swallowing you..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Imagine power failure and you sink. Pitch black and it's cold. Someone powers up their cell phone flashlight app and you just see a giant eye (or eyes) out the single window.

It could be worse. You could see a giant pair of tonsils as it is swallowing you..

Wrong side of the world.  It wasn't near Japan.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:13:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That’s highly illogical.

An inside temperature of 32-34 degrees for more than 5 minutes is something you dress for. You don’t wear shorts and flip flops for 10 hours at those temps.

One way or the other that report isn’t correct. Either the inside temps are higher or they wear more clothes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A guy who's been on the submersible said the inside temp of the sub is around 32-34 degrees when they are down at the Titanic. Outside water temp is around 29 degrees. People usually wearing light clothes and go barefoot on the submersible since it's only an 8-10 hr trip.

That’s highly illogical.

An inside temperature of 32-34 degrees for more than 5 minutes is something you dress for. You don’t wear shorts and flip flops for 10 hours at those temps.

One way or the other that report isn’t correct. Either the inside temps are higher or they wear more clothes.

They look like they're dressed for chilly temps.

Josh Gates tweet
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:14:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Classic government.. you can dump Uncle Steve in the ocean but don’t you dare dump Uncle Steve’s dog.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:16:44 AM EDT
[#13]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOW_kPzY_JY
Yep. I posted earlier that the CEO reminds me of Michael Scott. Steve Carrell should play Michael Scott who plays Stockton Rush.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:18:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I was floored when I read that earlier.  Unbelievable, really, to have someone involved with this be a descendent of Isidor and Ida Straus.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, there's some more irony for you. Apparently, the wife of the Oceangate CEO is descended from Titanic victims (great-great grandaughter of Macy's founder).

I was floored when I read that earlier.  Unbelievable, really, to have someone involved with this be a descendent of Isidor and Ida Straus.

Is it really?  People with wheelbarrows dump trucks of money tend to have kids with dump trucks of money, or their kids marry other people with dump trucks of money.  Generational wealth is a thing, especially with the uber rich.

It's a big club, and we ain't in it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:18:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:19:31 AM EDT
[#16]
so, whats worse, this or the brazen bull?
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:19:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:20:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'd hoped to see some positive news about this situation when I got up this morning. After reading the last five pages it seems it's a wrap.
RIP to the people who perished in the experimental submersible Titan.
View Quote
Agreed.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:20:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Middle-aged white male CEO of the sub company says "Middle-aged white men need not apply." In a Twist of irony he's one of the people on this missing sub  

Woopsie

View Quote

That did not age well.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:21:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:22:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Josh Gates tweet
View Quote

Good.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I am sort of amazed at how little we still know about what happened.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:23:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:23:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Good.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I am sort of amazed at how little we still know about what happened.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Josh Gates tweet

Good.

I mean when your whole comms and telemetry system is powered from wireless diversity from harbor freight it's not that surprising.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:25:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The old people on my Facebook feed getting upset about the memes is pretty humorous
View Quote

I don’t blame them.
The lack of basic human decency on display is pretty disgusting. It speaks volumes about the fabric of society.

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:28:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I mean when your whole comms and telemetry system is powered from wireless diversity from harbor freight it's not that surprising.
View Quote

I’m not surprised that it failed. I’m surprised that we’ve been told exactly nothing about the timeline of events the day it was lost, or what comms were in place before being lost, or what the last comms looked like, or how the mother ship tracks the sun in the absence of comms.

Nothing. Zero. Zilch.

And they don’t owe us that info, but they owed it to the rescue responders. What did they know and when?

To the people made privy to such details, has this seemed like a waste of time from day one? It obviously does to those of us with no details, but what of those who knew the rest of the story?
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:28:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I don’t blame them.
The lack of basic human decency on display is pretty disgusting. It speaks volumes about the fabric of society.

View Quote

The fact that something this incredibly stupid even happened says even more about the current state of society.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:29:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I don't blame them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The old people on my Facebook feed getting upset about the memes is pretty humorous

I don't blame them.

Yes this is definitely a recent trend...

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:29:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Good.

View Quote

I'm not, shit show operation is what we have learned so far.
But somewhere some 50 yr old guys are starting to put together pieces of the puzzle.
It may be a while before the puzzle is completed.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:29:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I don't blame them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't blame them.

First day on the internet?
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:30:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The fact that something this incredibly stupid even happened says even more about the current state of society.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:30:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'm not surprised that it failed. I'm surprised that we've been told exactly nothing about the timeline of events the day it was lost, or what comms were in place before being lost, or what the last comms looked like, or how the mother ship tracks the sun in the absence of comms.

Nothing. Zero. Zilch.

And they don't owe us that info, but they owed it to the rescue responders. What did they know and when?

To the people made privy to such details, has this seemed like a waste of time from day one? It obviously does to those of us with no details, but what of those who knew the rest of the story?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not surprised that it failed. I'm surprised that we've been told exactly nothing about the timeline of events the day it was lost, or what comms were in place before being lost, or what the last comms looked like, or how the mother ship tracks the sun in the absence of comms.

Nothing. Zero. Zilch.

And they don't owe us that info, but they owed it to the rescue responders. What did they know and when?

I don't think they have much info to share because they never had any real systems on that craft to begin with. It seems like it was crude at best.  Also the less they say now the better off they'll be from a lability perspective. That company and what's left of it's leadership knows they're in deep fucking shit.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:34:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:35:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/210215143707-dr-fauci-axios-interview-fair-use-video-super-tease.jpg

he said "who should star in the documentary" not "who do you think should've been in the sub instead"....
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:36:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Somebody needed to mind the teakettle and row the boat.  A real nerd would remember the fast fission non-escape probability equation in the six factor formula.
View Quote
See this is why they don't let the grab assin booger eaters from the Army run reactors anymore.

They tried it, it ended badly.

You navy types kinda made a shit show out of TMI but still...nobody got pinned to the ceiling, so you've got that going for you.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:36:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t blame them.

Hard to argue with that as more information becomes available. Appears one mans ego killed himself and 4 others.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:36:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Does anyone know if the sub company is still booking trips on the Titan?
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:37:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

honestly i have little compassion for openly going into harms way in a device obviously not made to survive. i put this right up there with dudes in a wingsuit hitting a mountain. sad about any loss of life, but a self created problem that was 100% avoidable. i have no problem with mocking stupidity.
View Quote

this right here pretty much sums it up for me

Stupid should be mocked.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:37:17 AM EDT
[#38]
The comments in this thread remind me of the Webb telescope thread.  There was a picture of the Pillars of Creation comparing the Hubble (2014) and Webb (2022) photos, and there were comments that there was no movement or change in the pillars in the eight years between the photos.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:38:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

this right here pretty much sums it up for me

Stupid should be mocked.
View Quote
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:38:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I don’t blame them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t blame them.

Oh no not the fabric of society
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:38:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Guessing a mostly carbon fiber tube doesn't bounce back sound for sonar as well as all metal one.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:39:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:39:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't blame them.

Some people's greatest contribution in life is showing the rest of us what not to do.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:40:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

honestly i have little compassion for openly going into harms way in a device obviously not made to survive. i put this right up there with dudes in a wingsuit hitting a mountain. sad about any loss of life, but aself created problem that was 100% avoidable. i have no problem with mocking stupidity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t blame them.

honestly i have little compassion for openly going into harms way in a device obviously not made to survive. i put this right up there with dudes in a wingsuit hitting a mountain. sad about any loss of life, but aself created problem that was 100% avoidable. i have no problem with mocking stupidity.

This is where I'm at.  Whole situation was a Darwin Award waiting to happen.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:41:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I don’t blame them.

View Quote

I think it says more about the fabric of society that some egotistical woke rich dude thought his money made him smarter than the experts he mocked for their race and age and it resulted in his demise aboard a shoddily built death machine.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:41:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Does anyone know if the sub company is still booking trips on the Titan?
View Quote

Titan II. They started booking at 9am this morning on kickstarter
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:42:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Guessing a mostly carbon fiber tube doesn't bounce back sound for sonar as well as all metal one.
View Quote

Beating on it to make noise probably isn't very effective either.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:43:02 AM EDT
[#48]
The most logical and satisfying thing they could have done about 12 hours in would to have strangled the motherfucker in charge to death. If they did that they still have hours of air left.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:43:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't blame them.

lol no. The internet has been exposing people with a lack of decency for a long time.

Doesn’t change the fact watching people ridicule peoples deaths isn’t disappointing. I could understand if it was some stupid ass terrorist that blew himself up making a bomb or some asshat getting himself killed robbing a store. These folks were neither.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:43:26 AM EDT
[#50]
At this point I'm settling onto the fact that when they initially lost contact, is when they imploded, thus why it wasn't showing up on the sonar the mothership apparently had, or that I read used.

Either that, or something happened with the ballast and it went down and is stuck in the mud.

Watching this death tube being made, the joint between the titanium flanges on either end of the carbon fiber section just seemed way too little material meeting, and just held together with glue.  The overlap of the titanium was extremely small from what I've seen.
Page / 136
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top