Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 136
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:55:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I really would like to know what bonding agent they used for the Ti ring to the CF tube. I bet they used plexus
View Quote

JB Weld.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:55:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Someone making a $100,000 salary has A LOT more in common with the dirt poor than they do with billionaires, a point often lost with conservatives.
View Quote

I don't need to have a lot in common with someone not to be gleeful that an accident created by the piss-poor risk management of a dickhead selling rides killed them.  Sure. I'll never in my life be in a position to drop a 1/4 million on a ride.  That doesn't mean I have to rejoice and revel in their meeting a bad end because all I know about them is they have a lot more money than me.  

And no, I don't have very much 'in common' with the life of the average Mexican or Appalachian beyond the fact we both have little political power.  So will it be funny too when they raise a toast to every one of us or our kids that gets smoked?
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:55:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

They are.  A bit of dark humor is one thing.  I'm not in love with society's glee in mocking this.  I mean should the dirt poor in trailer parks celebrate every time a plane crashes with a bunch of wealthy Americans who can afford to fly on it?
View Quote

this

seen the memes...chortled a bit here and there

whats fucking sickening in (mainly the left) celebrating their deaths as "who cares if a billionaire dies--fuck em"
disgusting as its coming from a bunch of lazy fucks that demand the "rich" pay for all their laziness and debauchery.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:56:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Attachment Attached File

Okay you made me laugh in an otherwise heavy thread.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:56:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:57:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:58:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yup, I bet the left is doing the same thing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck no it's not.

I've been doing nothing but scouring for memes laughing about these dead billionaires the last couple days.

That’s actually pretty damn sad.

Yup, I bet the left is doing the same thing.

Some events cause commies to show their colors. There are a lot of them here.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The 96-hour figure was the best available information. It increasingly looks like garbage, but we simply didn't know that at the time - and honestly, we still don't, in any ultimate sense. Nobody has yet to explain where the 96 hour figure came from.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep
People bought into the CEO's bs 90hr media claim.

The 96-hour figure was the best available information. It increasingly looks like garbage, but we simply didn't know that at the time - and honestly, we still don't, in any ultimate sense. Nobody has yet to explain where the 96 hour figure came from.

I saw an interview on BBC a couple days ago where the "expert" being interviewed said the 96-hour deadline came from a standard in maritime vessels that standardized having 96-hours worth of supplies for life support.

This is coming just from an interview I watched, and obviously doesn't mean that this vessel adhered to the "standard".
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:59:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I wonder how 50 year old white guys designed the rescue boats and subs?  I actually feel sorry for the people, except ceo, a horrible way to go.
View Quote

I don't.

The fact that they didn't research this guy, research any information about how many failures he has had in the past, which are all public enough people found them on twitter.

They are billionaires. When it comes to stuff like this - they have basically infinity resources

It's just perplexing to me that the people who went don't seem to think what he was doing was a very big deal, but it is difficult for world governments to do it on nine figure budgets and this guy claims to have done it like $250,000

Saw the contraption and then went. Oh yeah, that'll be fine. They literally could have used their own money to build something and had a better outcome-  not like these are guys who only could barely afford to get on it

It was nothing more than stupidity, carelessness, and laziness on their part. And they thought because they had a shit load of money that they would be immune to any consequences.

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:59:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yep
They've been dead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The whole “90 hours” really gave this story legs.  An opportunity for a hero story.  An emotional attachment.

While in reality, there it little actually pointing to the validity of the 90 hour mark.  There’s baseless statements that there was 90 hours of oxygen.  But nothing to prove it.  

But lots to lend credence to a shoddy operation focused on 1 goal and ignoring the possibility, and history, of things going very wrong.  Including many first hand accounts from persons who have seen the titanic from the window.

Proof of them ignoring the history of things going very wrong:  previously losing comms and not improving the comms capabilities even though each ride had $1,000,000 of passengers inside.

Yep
They've been dead.

yep 90hrs was total bs. Some news outlets are reporting that the 90hrs was a best case scenario theory. It's basically a calculation of how much oxygen they could have using the scrubbers and oxygen systems available.  Never tested at all.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:00:53 AM EDT
[#12]
I guess I'm the last person on the planet that knew about James Cameron and his deep sea exploration but this is pretty damn cool

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:03:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Its ego. He thought he knew better than everyone else and its not that he didn't care about his 'clients' but rather I don't think he thought there was anything wrong with this contraption. If he gave zero shits he would never be on that thing.

Since he was on this trip it's entirely possible there were warning signs on the way down and he pushed anyways. Listen to him in interviews. The dude thought safety is humorous.
View Quote

We're probably saying the same thing in different ways.  The vessel was all that mattered to him.  He was proving everyone else wrong and these people that ride it are how he'd get the money to show everyone what a genius he really was and how foolish they all were to spend so much effort and money on safety.  I agree, you don't take the ride if you are not sniffing your own farts and actually think you've cracked the whole 'just build a cheap elevator' code.  I'm simply saying that he was not really focused on his clients and making sure they had a successful journey.  I really don't think they mattered beyond their use to fund, and advertise his dream.  His attitude on safety when talking about something you sell rides on is abhorrent.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:04:02 AM EDT
[#14]
imagine being so eagerly desperate to see the titanic crash site that you pay $250k to go see it in a jerry rigged submarine, crammed with 4 other people, sign a death waiver, just to die a slow death at the titanic trash site and not even be able to see it
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:04:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Is it a recovery mission now? Will the submersible vessel ever be found?
View Quote

It was always a recovery mission.  Just high profile and lots of PR flat out lies.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:04:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I remember reading many pages back it was from the companys website.
View Quote

Yes, but where did the company get it? From an engineer who had considered every possible confounding factor and potential failure point, or a marketing guy who scribbled some calcs on a napkin?

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:04:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Anybody float the theory that the 5 rich guys wanted to disappear and this was a great cover story to sink any effort to look for their actual whereabouts?
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:06:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I wouldn't be surprised if they used 3M 5200.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really would like to know what bonding agent they used for the Ti ring to the CF tube. I bet they used plexus

lmao...now that would be funny
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:06:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

JB Weld.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

JB Weld.

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:07:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Regardless of the eventual outcome of this situation - it will undoubtedly serve as a very good example of poor decision making and poor risk management.

What I don't understand - why would any paying customer (with hundreds of thousands of dollars to burn) choose this operation over one that uses the Triton?
View Quote

maybe the outfits using Triton subs are staffed by 50 year old white guys and this is the ultimate lefty rich guy virtue signal?
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:08:07 AM EDT
[#21]
USS Bedford has been dispatched to force the sub to the surface.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:08:18 AM EDT
[#22]

Holy shit, what did they do, seal the tank in Phoenix, and then run it up to Canada?
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:08:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It definitely looked like some kind of fuzor or seam sealer type of product
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:09:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

this

whats fucking sickening in (mainly the left) celebrating their deaths as "who cares if a billionaire dies--fuck em"
disgusting as its coming from a bunch of lazy fucks that demand the "rich" pay for all their laziness and debauchery.
View Quote

How do you feel if a boat full of refugees capsizes and the refugees drown? How does most of this website feel?
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:09:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yes, but where did the company get it? From an engineer who had considered every possible confounding factor and potential failure point, or a marketing guy who scribbled some calcs on a napkin?

View Quote

I'd imagine someone took some info they found on Wikipedia or some table and used the best-case calculation on the amount of gas they have in those tanks and average human consumption and called it good.  That's assuming it isn't just an outright fabrication which doesn't seem implausible with this guy.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:09:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Realistically, “blue water” submersible rescues won’t happen. If this one can’t be located with a mother ship on top think about “ real” submarine operations. Unless one goes down <100 fathom curve and its location is fixed an attempt at a rescue won’t even occur. Most submarine operations occur in waters in which the bottom depth well exceeds design depth. Ships and planes will be sortied lots of noise will be generated but the result will be the same. Kursk sank in 350 ft of water, everyone died but not initially and their location was known. Tang sank in 180 ft of water 13 escaped via buoyant ascent, five of those survived.

Design, redundancy and training; if you don’t sink in the first place you don’t have to worry about not getting rescued.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:09:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yep. I posted earlier that the CEO reminds me of Michael Scott. Steve Carrell should play Michael Scott who plays Stockton Rush.
View Quote

yep

totally agree

LOL
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:09:45 AM EDT
[#28]
With the event playing out as a hopeful warning to future adventure types to do things the right way with safety in mind, do you guys think there will be new/ better/ different rescue procedures/ technology developed for situations like this?
      Does this make the navy or coast guard say " we need a better sub or better sonar" ?     Any official joint effort from here on out?  
   It seems most of the assets on site are ppl private company or volunteer.   They all could have said no leaving the navy and coast guard in the wind.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:09:57 AM EDT
[#29]

Salvage 1 (1979) - TEASER WITH OPENING
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:09:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:10:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Who should pick up the tab for the rescue/recover efforts?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it says more about the fabric of society that some egotistical woke rich dude thought his money made him smarter than the experts he mocked for their race and age and it resulted in his demise aboard a shoddily built death machine.
Pretty much.

Also, stupid shit like this stunt is not a new thing:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/9b/43/2b/9b432bdee81937874e522d5995c1d54a--famous-waterfalls-steel-barrel.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/wnmk4e1m3QQ/maxresdefault.jpg

And people should continue to be free to do stupid shit.  Even if they want to try to dive to the titanic.

Who should pick up the tab for the rescue/recover efforts?

At least it’s not funneling back to the democrat party.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:11:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

They are.  A bit of dark humor is one thing.  I'm not in love with society's glee in mocking this.  I mean should the dirt poor in trailer parks celebrate every time a plane crashes with a bunch of wealthy Americans who can afford to fly on it?
View Quote

I only feel sorry for the 19 year old. His dad and the other customers were idiots for getting into that thing.  Darwin award winner level. For the ultra rich woke CEO, I hope they killed him to save oxygen if the thing didn't implode.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:11:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

this

View Quote

There's been an undercurrent of class envy in this thread for a long time.

It's one thing to hate people for being stupid or arrogant; it's quite another to hate them for being wealthy.

There was at least one screenshot where some leftist had written an article pearl-clutching about the CEO's conservative leanings and political donations. We expect such from the left; our own side should act better.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:11:49 AM EDT
[#34]
OceanGate could face a FEDERAL criminal probe for 'negligent homicide' if Titanic Five aren't found alive because waiver that mentions death 'three times' does not 'protect firm'

A legal expert says that OceanGate could face a federal probe into any criminal liability if the 'Titanic Five' are not found alive – as oxygen on the missing submersible is feared to have run out.

They say that a 'combination' of governments will likely investigate the tragedy in international waters, but the US is expected to lead the inquiry.

Criminal defense attorney Joshua Ritter, a partner with El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyers, told DailyMail.com that the waiver signed by those on board doesn't mean those in charge are 'totally protected from criminal liability.'

The former LA County prosecutor said: 'The question of whether OceanGate could face criminal liability has yet to be answered, but some government or perhaps a combination of governments will definitely investigate this tragedy.

'The U.S. government is the most likely entity to head up this investigation, because OceanGate is based in Washington state.

'The U.S. government will most likely conclude that it has jurisdiction to investigate, even though the company operated in international waters.

'I would compare this incident in some respects to a case in Arizona where three people died in 2009 from participating in a sweat lodge.

'A self-help entrepreneur who ran that sweat lodge was eventually convicted of negligent homicide.

'People can give consent to participate in dangerous activities, but that doesn't mean whoever is in charge is totally protected from criminal liability.

'If an investigation reveals the participants were misled about the risks or pressured to agree to activities they would normally avoid, then it can lead to criminal charges.

'For the company to use a video game controller to steer this submarine, that's the kind of thing that makes this ripe for an investigation.

'However, the CEO of the company is among the missing, and if he does not survive this whole episode that will cloud the question of who bears ultimate responsibility.'

More
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:12:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

How do you feel if a boat full of refugees capsizes and the refugees drown? How does most of this website feel?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this

I don't "feel" anything about either scenario
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:13:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

They got it from the same place they got everything else.
They pulled it outta their ass.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:13:34 AM EDT
[#37]
We care about them too right?

week after an overloaded boat carrying hundreds of refugees and migrants sank off the western coast of Greece, details of those feared dead are emerging.

Most of those on board – estimates range from 400 to 750 – were Pakistanis. Dozens of Egyptians, Syrians and Palestinians also risked their lives for an opportunity to reach Europe on the fishing trawler that departed from Libya.
View Quote

https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2023/6/22/syrians-among-the-hundreds-dead-in-shipwreck-off-coast-of-greece
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:14:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
So they're JUST NOW getting an ROV down there? Unbelievable. It's going to be sad if it turns out they've been sitting by the wreck all this time. Remember, they were just 15 minutes from it when they lost comms.  Sigh. Well, it's over now, for sure.
View Quote

It's been sitting all this time parked neatly on the Titanic's deck with it's hazard lights blinking
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh look.  CNN has entered the chat.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:14:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I saw an interview on BBC a couple days ago where the "expert" being interviewed said the 96-hour deadline came from a standard in maritime vessels that standardized having 96-hours worth of supplies for life support.
View Quote

Ugh.

Last winter I took two of my kids ~400' into a local cave. It increasingly looks like I put more thought for safety and contingencies into that day than they put into this 13000' descent to the ocean floor.

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:15:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Anybody float the theory that the 5 rich guys wanted to disappear and this was a great cover story to sink any effort to look for their actual whereabouts?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:15:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:16:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Been dead for days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
O2 Time 0:00

RIP

Been dead for days.
Then there might be some O2 left.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:17:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Oh look.  CNN has entered the chat.  
View Quote

Well, what’s your answer?
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:17:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:18:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It's one thing to hate people for being stupid or arrogant; it's quite another to hate them for being wealthy.

There was at least one screenshot where some leftist had written an article pearl-clutching about the CEO's conservative leanings and political donations. We expect such from the left; our own side should act better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this

I don't hate anyone but I definitely think it's extra stupid to be that rich and still cut corners on a fucking submarine. Then the passengers were too stupid to look into the subs construction and learn about it before going down there
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:18:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Then there might be some O2 left.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:18:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im not a marine architect, but I have rebuilt a few hulls in my time and know FRP pretty well.

The issue I see is that there would be no way for that ring to have a perfectly evenly distributed amount of sealer/bonding agent between itself and the CF tube.

On the surface of the water that would not be a problem at all. but when you get to the depths of the titanic, with those pressures involved and the temperature is around 33deg.

I honestly don't understand why they didn't just make it all out of Stainless Steel or Iron, I mean who Gives a shit how much it weighs.

Or even better, why not all out of CF
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:19:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
OceanGate could face a FEDERAL criminal probe for 'negligent homicide' if Titanic Five aren't found alive because waiver that mentions death 'three times' does not 'protect firm'

A legal expert says that OceanGate could face a federal probe into any criminal liability if the 'Titanic Five' are not found alive – as oxygen on the missing submersible is feared to have run out.

They say that a 'combination' of governments will likely investigate the tragedy in international waters, but the US is expected to lead the inquiry.

Criminal defense attorney Joshua Ritter, a partner with El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyers, told DailyMail.com that the waiver signed by those on board doesn't mean those in charge are 'totally protected from criminal liability.'

'However, the CEO of the company is among the missing, and if he does not survive this whole episode that will cloud the question of who bears ultimate responsibility.'

More
View Quote

Yeah, you can't just use a waiver to absolve yourself of the duty to take reasonable precautions.  The bar on those precautions gets higher, not lower as the inherent risk of the activity increases.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:20:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Fuck no it's not.

I've been doing nothing but scouring for memes laughing about these dead billionaires the last couple days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Fuck no it's not.

Living in a trailer park sucks, doesn’t it?
Page / 136
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top