BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 5:15:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A tractor Tethered to 480V 3 phase power would work well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i dont think that EV tractors COULD work at all. will run 16-24 hours a day on big farms, you cant charge a battery for 1.5 horus every 3 and keep that up. plus they would be HUGE batteries, (tractors use TONS of torque constantly) and dont brake so no regen cycle, and constant acceleration. basically it would be like doing quarter mile drags constantly) tesla's doing drag races get 50 out of a full charge, so in miles that is 12.5 MILES from a 300 mile battery. in tractor time that is more like hour plowing hour charging. or tow a giant trailer battery(weighs a TON, see what towing does for EV trucks). Some sort of hybrid tractor MAYBE but the nature of the work doesnt lend itself to usefulness in that application. Hybrids work great for incity due to teh regen braking , they store braking energy as acceleration energy so they get 60-70 city miles while only gettign 55 highway.

We could wire up the center pivot irrigators with 480v and have the tractors follow the same paths as the sprinklers.

Maybe even make the center pivot a wind turbine tower.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 5:21:11 PM EDT
[#2]
He Fired now.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 5:33:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

We could wire up the center pivot irrigators with 480v and have the tractors follow the same paths as the sprinklers.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i dont think that EV tractors COULD work at all. will run 16-24 hours a day on big farms, you cant charge a battery for 1.5 horus every 3 and keep that up. plus they would be HUGE batteries, (tractors use TONS of torque constantly) and dont brake so no regen cycle, and constant acceleration. basically it would be like doing quarter mile drags constantly) tesla's doing drag races get 50 out of a full charge, so in miles that is 12.5 MILES from a 300 mile battery. in tractor time that is more like hour plowing hour charging. or tow a giant trailer battery(weighs a TON, see what towing does for EV trucks). Some sort of hybrid tractor MAYBE but the nature of the work doesnt lend itself to usefulness in that application. Hybrids work great for incity due to teh regen braking , they store braking energy as acceleration energy so they get 60-70 city miles while only gettign 55 highway.

Center pivots move really slow though, and each section kind of moves in jerky motion to keep it all together.  Its basically limit switches to run the things.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Just got a notice for my EV charging account from Electrify America. I have only used this company when there was no other options, which is not uncommon with the scattering of EV chargers. This company offers some free options at the .gov locations that use solar power. Otherwise, you pay. They upped their prices to .48 kwh and a per minute charge for the 90kwh charger of .19 a minute and .37 a minute for the large charger.

At this price point and not looking at anything other than mpg, it isn't feasible. I get about 3-3.5 miles per kwh. Add in heat or A/C and you are below 3 miles. Using their new charging rates of .63 per kwh based on my prior time rate, you are looking at .21 per mile. Compared to current pricing, these charging stations are not cheaper than using ICE.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 8:32:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Just got a notice for my EV charging account from Electrify America. I have only used this company when there was no other options, which is not uncommon with the scattering of EV chargers. This company offers some free options at the .gov locations that use solar power. Otherwise, you pay. They upped their prices to .48 kwh and a per minute charge for the 90kwh charger of .19 a minute and .37 a minute for the large charger.

At this price point and not looking at anything other than mpg, it isn't feasible. I get about 3-3.5 miles per kwh. Add in heat or A/C and you are below 3 miles. Using their new charging rates of .63 per kwh based on my prior time rate, you are looking at .21 per mile. Compared to current pricing, these charging stations are not cheaper than using ICE.
View Quote

You live at the Vatican but use EV chargers in America?
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top