Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 11:05:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Needs crank down windows and it would be perfect. They would sell those all day long.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 11:09:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The very latest technology circa 1996.
View Quote

Exactly what some of us who live rural still need but can’t find.
City cars with AWD or rebadged wanna bees don’t cut it some places.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 11:14:54 AM EDT
[#3]
They had me at the hood ornament. When is the last time you saw one of those? lol

Link Posted: 1/11/2023 11:27:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The current 70 series with long wheelbase is about 80k, IIRC.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes please!

Although we all know 42K MSRP would become 70K real quick if you wanted a shot at having one in the next couple years

The current 70 series with long wheelbase is about 80k, IIRC.

Yeah I looked at a few international sites trying to get an idea of price and it seemed like $75k-$80k was the floor.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 11:34:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yeah I looked at a few international sites trying to get an idea of price and it seemed like $75k-$80k was the floor.
View Quote

These things aren’t cheap outside of a very few countries with special circumstances that differ greatly from US’s regulations and taxes.

Everyone wants one because they assume they will be affordable, and they are anything but that. I know a mine site in Australia that uses Lexus SUVs because they are more budget friendly.

That’s not even getting into the love GD has for an engine that is noticeably slower than the 4.0 that they call dangerously underpowered.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 11:40:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I’d buy it.
View Quote

Judging by your avatar…I believe you.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 11:44:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Needs crank down windows and it would be perfect. They would sell those all day long.
View Quote

No they wouldn't, which is one reason why they don't sell them.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 11:46:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Nobody would buy that shit here. Americans don't want vehicles like that, at least not in sufficient numbers for it to make financial sense.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 11:48:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Toyota of Gibraltar has been selling newly manufactured utilitarian 70-series Land Cruisers and Hilux pickups with diesel engines for many years. Us average citizens just aren't allowed to import them for public road use here. I've heard if you have a large farm/ranch out west you could get a waiver if you could prove it would never leave your property.

https://www.toyota-gib.com/eng/vehicle-sales/models-by-usage.html

https://media.toyota-gib.com/web-imgs/models/land-cruiser-70/vdj79l-dkmryv/web/vdj79l-dkmryv-G1.jpg
View Quote

You can import one, it's not that difficult, just cannot drive it on the roads. You can get attempt to get a waiver to drive it on the roads, but it is a certain milage per year, research Bill Gates and his Porsche 959. It's a interesting story.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 11:49:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Nobody would buy that shit here. Americans don't want vehicles like that, at least not in sufficient numbers for it to make financial sense.
View Quote

If they could sell it at the $41,000 USD the video mentions I think they’d probably do alright. Pretty sure that number was puller out of their ass though.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 11:52:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

These things aren’t cheap outside of a very few countries with special circumstances that differ greatly from US’s regulations and taxes.

Everyone wants one because they assume they will be affordable, and they are anything but that. I know a mine site in Australia that uses Lexus SUVs because they are more budget friendly.

That’s not even getting into the love GD has for an engine that is noticeably slower than the 4.0 that they call dangerously underpowered.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ones I was looking at was the truck with the dual tanks. Super utilitarian and would be perfect for most of what I would ever want to do and was still $120,000 which seems absurd. I see why SXS and similar have proliferated. You can buy a pile of them for what a truck costs.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 11:54:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If they could sell it at the $41,000 USD the video mentions I think they’d probably do alright. Pretty sure that number was puller out of their ass though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They would have to load it up with safety and environmental stuff before they would be allowed to sell here.   Then half their potential clientele would want a/c, power everything and auto trans.  $80k.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 11:56:01 AM EDT
[#14]
So a luxury Suzuki Samurai? Pretty cool, not 42K cool, but still pretty neat.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 11:56:03 AM EDT
[#15]
with the short wheelbase and tall height, other than for slow off-road, that things looks pretty unstable
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 12:09:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Needs crank-down windows and it would be perfect. They would sell those all day long.
View Quote

No they wouldn't.

This has been repeated so much on ARFCOM it's a meme at this point.

$40k for an antique.  And it probably doesn't meet crash safety standards or emissions either.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 12:10:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 12:18:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Heck the lower trim 4Runners are getting pretty close to that 41k price tag and Tacoma's aren't too far behind too. The margins just aren't there for Toyota to really make a justification for this in the NA market, especially at an affordable price tag.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 12:42:28 PM EDT
[#19]
It doesn't do anything a Ford Superduty wont do at 1/2 the cost. Toyota knows this.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 12:50:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Heck the lower trim 4Runners are getting pretty close to that 41k price tag and Tacoma's aren't too far behind too. The margins just aren't there for Toyota to really make a justification for this in the NA market, especially at an affordable price tag.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The reason I think they pulled it out of their ass is that the Land Cruisers are in their own price bracket.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 12:51:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The SR5 Premium is/was $44k. That trim has heated leather seats, power everything, keyless everything, Apple CarPlay, and some other stuff. And the 4Runner itself has almost 50 hp more than the LC in the OP and an automatic transmission generally regarded as bulletproof.

Don't get me wrong... that LC has a big cool factor, and I'd love to drive it. But would I buy one for the same price as the T4R and live with it? LOL hell no.

Link Posted: 1/11/2023 10:05:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No. No we won’t.

Dusted this off and took it out for a drive today.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/556465/39A91B0D-D78B-4E90-9D8E-D3C374D68415_jpe-2668306.JPG
View Quote

Is that an old Trooper? Can't tell from the side.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 11:06:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. No we won’t.

Dusted this off and took it out for a drive today.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/556465/39A91B0D-D78B-4E90-9D8E-D3C374D68415_jpe-2668306.JPG

Yes and no.

Honda/Acura wanted in on the everyone had to buy an SUV craze of the 1990s.
From the mid to late 1990s, the sold Isuzu Troopers badged as the Acura SLX in the US until they got their Pilot/Ridgeline drivetrain converted into a crosssover MDX up and for sale.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 11:08:00 PM EDT
[#24]
I’d rather a VDJ200
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 11:09:06 PM EDT
[#25]
pretty bad a D90 defender would be cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 11:12:10 PM EDT
[#26]

I’ve seen em driving on 77 north of Charlotte

@jafrush

I’d love a wagon, can’t get em so I made due.

Link Posted: 1/11/2023 11:27:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It doesn't do anything a Ford Superduty wont do at 1/2 the cost. Toyota knows this.
View Quote

Like this?

Toyota LandCruiser 70 series off-road compilation
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 11:34:15 PM EDT
[#28]
FUCK YES

I WANT THAT
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 12:04:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
FUCK YES

I WANT THAT
View Quote

In all caps, you are down with the cause.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 12:34:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

$250,000 Landcruiser vs. F-250 Build-off! Ultimate touring 4WDs tested back to back!

Even better. Here’s a great example of what a 47 series can do.

Stock.

4WD FIRE ON OLD TELE TRACK – worst nightmare… + Farm Truck does Cape York!
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 8:50:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yes and no.

Honda/Acura wanted in on the everyone had to buy an SUV craze of the 1990s.
From the mid to late 1990s, the sold Isuzu Troopers badged as the Acura SLX in the US until they got their Pilot/Ridgeline drivetrain converted into a crosssover MDX up and for sale.
View Quote

Nice dude. Keep that thing clean
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 5:29:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
with the short wheelbase and tall height, other than for slow off-road, that things looks pretty unstable
View Quote

About the same as a Samurai. I learned to drive stick shift on one. I literally use to do 180's in them as a kid on the sandpits. I couldn't roll it if I tried, regardless of what Consumer Reports wrote about them. It'll be fine.

The price is the only "WTF" part. That's a 15K vehicle at best for what you get. A fool and his money....
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 5:36:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Oh yeah. I bought my first Toyota in early 1975, was 19, a 1971 Corolla. Great car, no issues. After college bought a 1979 Mercury Monarch. Loved it, too. Then a sales career driving Impala and Taurus company cars, retired in March 2020 and bought a 2017 Toyota Highlander Limited. An outstanding vehicle, still no issues.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 5:36:49 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm in.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 5:53:42 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm planning to get a "Troopy" version as a work truck. Not a new one. Probably 2001-2009 or so. I'm in the Middle East so I see these trucks all day. Brand new Land Cruisers and 70 series of all varieties.

Patrols too. But

Toyota Master Race.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 5:54:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Toyota Bronco II
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 5:56:26 PM EDT
[#38]
I would buy that and light my Jeep on fire.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 6:00:59 PM EDT
[#39]
import a 25 year old LHD 105 cruiser with either diesel or petrol motor.

problem solved.

problem staying solved.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 6:05:01 PM EDT
[#40]
It's hilarious to me when I see people compare a 70 to a samurai or tracker.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 6:09:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It's hilarious to me when I see people compare a 70 to a samurai or tracker.
View Quote

Not if comparing wheel base and manual controls. Try and keep up.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 6:10:04 PM EDT
[#42]
NO! You'll accept your swagger wagon and like it, hey it has a power lift gate so you can lean on the poors in Walmart parking lot.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 6:14:11 PM EDT
[#43]
I imported one, pretty easy to do. Hardest part is finding a 25+ year old one in great shape. They're out there though.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/p2VxJH13wWH5YvSZA
https://photos.app.goo.gl/4RoFM6EwHtajPMLy6

Edit, apparently I don't know how to post pictures.

Link Posted: 1/14/2023 6:18:38 PM EDT
[#44]
We can't even get a Jimney, but the Mexicans can.

Link Posted: 1/14/2023 6:31:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
We can't even get a Jimney, but the Mexicans can.

View Quote
a) buy property in mexico

2) purchase jimney in mexico

3) obtain mexican plates/registration

4) ???

5) profit
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 6:56:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Nice. I wonder where they're heading.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 9:17:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
a) buy property in mexico

2) purchase jimney in mexico

3) obtain mexican plates/registration

4) ???

5) profit
View Quote

Oh, dont think I haven't thought this.  

But it'd be a group buy.  We can all have MX plated jimneys across the USA.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 9:42:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Oh, dont think I haven't thought this.  

But it'd be a group buy.  We can all have MX plated jimneys across the USA.
View Quote
jeremiah proffitt had a bunch of non merican spec cruisers plated in guatemala but daily driven in merica.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 9:44:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Why are so many gd
Posters obsessed with jap junk?
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 9:45:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Why are so many gd
Posters obsessed with jap junk?
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

@Alex_F
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top