Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/16/2020 8:35:10 PM EDT
Anyone from Scotland here and if so any suggestions on what to see?

Told the wife I’d rather see real Scotland keep the tourist trap museums to a bare minimum.

I’d like to see rural Scotland and rural Scotland life.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 9:19:42 PM EDT
[#1]
This might be a good resource for you:  Raw Spirit by Iain Banks

It is essentially the travel log of a drunk Scottish author who tours Scotland looking for the perfect dram of Scotch.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 9:21:18 PM EDT
[#2]
My wife and I are heading there in April. First to Islay and then just random driving. That's how we prefer to explore new places. We just let whatever unfolds happen.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 9:23:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This might be a good resource for you:  Raw Spirit by Iain Banks

It is essentially the travel log of a drunk Scottish author who tours Scotland looking for the perfect dram of Scotch.
View Quote
Me and the wife don’t drink.

Have seen a lot of stuff talking about beer, liquor etc..

Just want to see what Scottish rural living is all about. And looking forward to eating some haggis.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 9:24:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My wife and I are heading there in April. First to Islay and then just random driving. That's how we prefer to explore new places. We just let whatever unfolds happen.
View Quote
Wife has been doing most of the research on this but what’s the rules and regs I’m driving there with a US driver’s license?

Also the wife said most cars are manual which I can drive. But never drove one that was flipped shift with left hand instead of right.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 9:45:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Just want to see what Scottish rural living is all about. And looking forward to eating some haggis.
View Quote
There is still a lot you might get from the book.  He talks a lot about finding "Grand Wee Roads" that are less well traveled and have lots of good scenic views.

Oh, I should also warn you, he is a raving left-wing lunatic and there are a few places in the book where this comes out.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 9:53:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Mrs Rabinowitz spent the first three years of her high school years at the school in Dunoon near Holy Loch.  Her dad was captain of the USS Canopus, the sub tender that serviced the nuke subs ported there.

According to her, she says the way you can tell it’s summer in Scotland is that the dreary malaise of the place seems slightly warmer....but never hot.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 9:54:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Isle of Skye,Fairy Pools,lochs and a lot of cool castles
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:00:08 PM EDT
[#8]
one of the most beautiful places I've ever been
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:00:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Mrs Rabinowitz spent the first three years of her high school years at the school in Dunoon near Holy Loch.  Her dad was captain of the USS Canopus, the sub tender that serviced the nuke subs ported there.

According to her, she says the way you can tell it’s summer in Scotland is that the dreary malaise of the place seems slightly warmer....but never hot.
View Quote
@TontoGoldstein
There's a Canopus FB group. If she's interested, shoot me a PM with her FB info, and I'll send her an invite. There are a ton of pics and stories posted on there. She wouldn't be the first family member to join the group.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:02:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Wife has been doing most of the research on this but what’s the rules and regs I’m driving there with a US driver’s license?

Also the wife said most cars are manual which I can drive. But never drove one that was flipped shift with left hand instead of right.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can just rent a car and drive assuming you are over 25.

But a word of caution the first few days of driving will be tricky. I have driven in Ireland a number of times so I am used to it. But the first few days you will be mentally drained from it.

Another word of advice. The flight and arrival is going to be a bitch. The first day you need to plan on getting to lodging fairly soon and crashing for a few hours. The jet lag is very real and couple that with the driving and you have the recipe for disaster. By noon or one you need to be out of that car.

You can get an automatic but it is expensive compared to a manual. We like to stick with small cars because the roads, towns, and parking are all tight.

Keep in mind I am speaking of Ireland driving but my understanding from others is it is about the same.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:02:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:14:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Depending on how long you have, rent a car and drive.  In the mid 1990's, my ex and I drove from Edinburgh to Oban, through Stirling, Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park.  Then up to Inverness, over to Braemar and Balmoral then back to Edinburgh.  We spent a night or two in each place.  We drove through the Loch Ness area too, but didn't stay there. We used the Scottish tourist board offices, which are/were pretty much everywhere, to book B&B's as we went.  It was a good trip.  One the better memories with my ex.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:24:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorta
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:32:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Stick shift with the wrong hand is easy... pedals are in the same order, you're still sitting in the middle of the road, and the shift pattern is the same.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:36:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Didn't we do one of these threads a few weeks ago?

Left coast is very different  to right coast, north is closer to left. Edinburgh is very different to Glasgow.

How long you going for?

Oh... and Scots... single T no apostrophe...
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:47:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Driving a right hand vehicle isn't too difficult. Pedals are all in the same order. Stick shift is just on the left. Biggest issue is staying focused so you make sure to stay on the left side of the road. UK roads tend to be narrower than the equivalent roads in the US.

Google for the UK Road Signs manual. It's available in a pdf format and will help you understand what the signs and pavement markings mean. Speed cameras are everywhere, so watch your speeds. Even single-track roads can have a 60 mph limit, but that doesn't mean they're safe to drive at that speed. Locals will tend to drive faster than the tourists. Many vehicles are diesel, but the diesel pump handles will be black. Regular unleaded petrol handles will often be green. Gas prices will be about $8.00/gallon when you do the exchange rate.

If you plan on visiting historic sites, look into picking up a Historic Scotland Overseas Visitor Pass. Purchase it online and pick up the pass at the first site you visit. There are many beautiful rural spots in the Borders, as well as the Isles. There is a fairly interesting museum on Skye for rural life.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:14:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Anyone from Scotland here and if so any suggestions on what to see?

Told the wife I’d rather see real Scotland keep the tourist trap museums to a bare minimum.

I’d like to see rural Scotland and rural Scotland life.
View Quote
Scots, you mean.  Scott is a proper name.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:15:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Not a Scot or nor do I live over there... but I watched a travel video by a guy that does a lot of travel. He and his family basically rented a car and just drove around in Scotland. There's TONS to see all over the place. Castles you can just drive up to and lot of them do tours. Lots of scenery and things to see.

Someday I want to get over there and rent a car, then do that 500 mile loop around the country.

I do kinda wish summa y'all going on trips would get a real, nice camera... potato pics must really leave you disappointed!  :P
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:51:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I thought the Scots went over to right hand driving just to piss off the Brits.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:59:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Scots Wha Hae  
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 12:19:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Haven't been there since the late nineties but I plan on an extended trip there in about two years. My grandmother is from Inverness and could make the best shortbread I've ever had. The place is beautiful and there are tons of sites to see. I went to the war museum in Edinburgh and looked up some of my relatives that perished in WW2.  The art museum at the time had works from Monet and an entire hall of Rafael, the great halls in the castles had great art as well. We mostly stayed at what were basically B&Bs in areas near great hiking and rivers. I always regret not golfing at the old course in St Andrews, but  I went on some tours there.  Awesome place
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 12:21:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Be sure to stop by "All Things Scottish" when there and pick up your souvenirs.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 1:11:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nah - in summer the wee beasties come out in swarms to devour the blood of any heathen not native to their lands - applies to both the midgies and some of the younger locals.

Lived in the place for 15 years. Mainly the "Borders" around Coldstream, but also East Lothian.
Edinburgh looks good but is way over-priced for most things

May be an idea to research staying in local smaller B&B places or look into such things as "Stay on a Farm"
Lots to do - contact the Tourist Information organisation, they will provide a wealth of information in advance of your trip
Also get a good map and then tie that in with YouTube videos searched by place name of the areas you may have an interest in visiting
LOTS of historical sites and features all over the place dating back a few millennia
….and don't forget to nip over the border to Northumberland - LOTS more castles and things
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 8:10:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Stick shift with the wrong hand is easy... pedals are in the same order, you're still sitting in the middle of the road, and the shift pattern is the same.
View Quote
That’s good I thought everything was in reverse pedals and all. Lol
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 8:19:04 AM EDT
[#25]
This is the Road Signs and Markings document that I was talking about:

Know-your-traffic-signs.pdf
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 8:36:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This is the Road Signs and Markings document that I was talking about:

Know-your-traffic-signs.pdf
View Quote
Thanks will give it a study, have a while before we go.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 8:47:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Stirling is pretty cool.  Edinburgh is a nifty town to visit and walk around.  These two destinations will take about 3 days to enjoy.  Glasgow is more of an industrial city, they do have a couple of cool museums, but otherwise not going out of your way to get there.  But if you are flying in or out of there then the Kelvingrove museum is with seeing along with the museum of transport.

The thing I would really love to do would be to take a motorcycle up into the highlands.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 8:47:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Small world. I was there for 2 years when my dad was on the Holland. Late 70’s.
It REALLY sucked going from Orlando Fl. to Holy Loch....
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 8:50:06 AM EDT
[#29]
My Daughter is going to Scotland right after the July 4th Holliday. What's the weather like? She's travelling with a musical group.
Looks like it stays in the 60's... not exactly warm....
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 8:53:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Scotts as in people from Scottland?
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 8:56:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Scotts as in people from Scottland?
View Quote
I hear they make good fertilizer.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 8:57:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Going to Scotland....doesn't drink

Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:01:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have experienced driving a right hand drive car with a manual transmission. ... it was a little different at first and required thinking until I developed the feel. Stop and go city traffic might make it more of a pain. My driving involved almost no traffic controls of any kind. .
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:04:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
That sounds horrible.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:06:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
The learning curve is rapid. Took me about 15 minutes to get a hang of left hand shifting (thank God the pedals are in the same configuration) and right seat driving on the left hand side of the road.

My first trip, we rented a car in Edinburgh. We are history nerds so it was all about the castles and battlefields for us.  Drive up to Oban, then take the ferry to Mull. Drive across Mull and then take the foot ferry to Iona. There is Hamet's grave (allegedly) and the abby where the book of Kells was written.  You will definitely see the wilds of Scotland.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:08:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That sounds horrible.
View Quote
Clean living is the best living.

We both used to consume spirts but lifestyle changes and with my jobs, on call 24/7 365 it’s kinda had to enjoy a beer then jump in a car and go to work at a moments notice. Lol
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:09:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I thought the Scots went over to right hand driving just to piss off the Brits.
View Quote
Nay, after a few centuries the Scots got tired of getting their asses handed to them whenever they annoyed the Brits.   Culloden pretty much sucked the last remaining will out of them.

I plan on going for a week next year.  Figure I’ll do an organized tour of some sort for efficiency and hammer out all the major attractions.  Maybe if I go back take the time and go off the beaten path.  It’s hard to plan a week trip as it’s very apparent there’s going to be lots we have to compromise on.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:14:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The learning curve is rapid. Took me about 15 minutes to get a hang of left hand shifting (thank God the pedals are in the same configuration) and right seat driving on the left hand side of the road.

My first trip, we rented a car in Edinburgh. We are history nerds so it was all about the castles and battlefields for us.  Drive up to Oban, then take the ferry to Mull. Drive across Mull and then take the foot ferry to Iona. There is Hamet's grave (allegedly) and the abby where the book of Kells was written.  You will definitely see the wilds of Scotland.
View Quote
Now some WW1-2 museums I’d be interested in.

The wife has informed me that castles tours will be in the docket. So guess I will check some out. Don’t really get into the whole castles and medieval thing.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:14:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That's good I thought everything was in reverse pedals and all. Lol
View Quote
When you want to turn left, you turn the wheel to the right and vise versa.  It's like backing a trailer.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:15:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Me and the wife don't drink.
View Quote
Well, this would be a great excuse to start.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:17:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
When you want to turn left, you turn the wheel to the right and vise versa.  It's like backing a trailer.
View Quote
Yeah that’s what I was thinking
gas= brake
brake = gas
clutch = E brake
Ebrake = ignition
ignition = AC
Etc......
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:27:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Loved my stay in Aviemore, cairngorms are awesome if you like to hike or rock climb.  Make sure you hit the touristy spots too, loch ness, Culloden, Fort George, etc.  Lots of history there.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:38:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Now some WW1-2 museums I’d be interested in.

The wife has informed me that castles tours will be in the docket. So guess I will check some out. Don’t really get into the whole castles and medieval thing.
View Quote
If you don’t care about history, and you don’t care about drinking, then why are you going to Scotland? The perfect weather?
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:44:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

If you don’t care about history, and you don’t care about drinking, then why are you going to Scotland? The perfect weather?
View Quote

Where did you get that I don’t care about history from? Love it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:49:25 AM EDT
[#45]
This I spent 16 days there in 2006.  Mostly golf and castles.

Edinburgh was cool.  I got haggis there (real haggis) and it was delicious.
The drive through the Loch area down to the Kintyre Peninsula was cool.
The ferry from Campelltown to Islay was cool.
Islay itself was cool.

This thing was really cool.

Falkirk Wheel

Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:52:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
So long as the rain is falling straight down and kind of to the side like, it's fine.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:54:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

So long as the rain is falling straight down and kind of to the side like, it's fine.
View Quote
Yeah we have been warned about the weather going to pick up a nice rain jacket before we go.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 10:04:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
This I spent 16 days there in 2006.  Mostly golf and castles.

Edinburgh was cool.  I got haggis there (real haggis) and it was delicious.
The drive through the Loch area down to the Kintyre Peninsula was cool.
The ferry from Campelltown to Islay was cool.
Islay itself was cool.

This thing was really cool.

Falkirk Wheel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucg1O-5jsnM
View Quote
I was there once, really cool until you start to think about what it actually does, which is nothing.

Honestly the touristy parts of Edinburgh are worth seeing.  We stayed in Grassmarket which is right next to Edinburgh castle.  Our windows looked out on the castle which looked really cool at night. There is a shopping area right there which was really nice.   Walk the royal mile, it's very touristy but has stuff worth seeing. You start at the castle which is worth seeing, then work your way down to Holyrood palace.   See if you can find https://www.realmarykingsclose.com/, that was pretty cool, too.  Edinburgh is a nice city and is quite easy to walk.    I'd spend another weekend there in a heartbeat.

Scotland has lots of old castles and beautiful natural areas.   Check out the Wallace monument and Stirling Castle. There are Highlands tours that will hit places you will want to see.

Rosslyn chapel is really interesting and beautiful as well,  the story is amazing.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 10:13:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So it’s just the medieval portion of history you don’t care for. Got it
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 10:20:52 AM EDT
[#50]
I did and Ireland/Scotland trip a few years back. I preferred Ireland, but I spent more time there so that may be why.

St Andrews Cathedral in Scotland is cool

Right next to it is St Andrews Castle (You can see it in the first photo, right on the water)

While it's kind of touristy, Edinburgh is worth spending a day in. The buildings are amazing.
Edinburgh Castle

Building inside castle

Downtown Edinburgh right outside of the castle
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top