Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 8:34:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Auto repairs costs are up over 20% by government statistics in one year.

People are financially maxed out and drive until breakdown.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 8:54:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm dropping AAA once my membership expires in October. Had a flat tire motorcycle, have the full enhanced RV coverage with 200 mile towing.  Call its in, ETA for a flatbed one hour. An hour and a half later nothing, called in. On hold for 20+ minutes, then a person answers. So sorry we have no one available, you're on your own.
Overall it took me about 6 1/2 hours to catch a ride to my house, return with my truck and trailer, and then drive back home.

They should Add a letter U as in UAAA, Useless Automobile Association of America.
it's too bad, I've been a member for 28 years, and now when you need them the most, they basically tell you to kick rocks.

Link Posted: 7/23/2022 1:54:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Auto repairs costs are up over 20% by government statistics in one year.

People are financially maxed out and drive until breakdown.
View Quote

Wait for parts is months.

I had a vehicle deadlined for 8 months waiting on parts.   Neighbors are at about a year and still waiting.

Not stuff you can go to pick-n-pull for.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 4:45:11 PM EDT
[#4]
When I used to call AAA for the officers that I dispatched to assist stranded motorists, we would always ask the AAA dispatcher who they showed as next on the rotation list. When they told us, we would hang up with them and call that tow company and get them on the way, because we knew AAA would take forever to call the company. Often, the tow company would be loading up the vehicle on the truck and still have never gotten dispatched by AAA. No idea why it would take so long.

The really good ones were when AAA would tell us that there were no tow companies in their list for that area, so we'd have to call one of the companies that we knew were there, but AAA didn't have a contract with. You wanna know what happens to regular Joe Citizen AAA member who doesn't know who to call in that area? AAA tells you to pound sand.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 4:50:33 PM EDT
[#5]
it appears that AAA is worthless as shit nowadays... might as well just pony up for the right now tow fee... how often do you need one anyway?
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 5:01:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Every year my Amex gets charged for AAA. I called back in about 2017 and they couldn’t find a record of my account. Same in 2018.

For damn near 5 years I have disputed that charge and Amex gives me my money back.

AAA keeps charging and Amex keeps letting them.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 5:21:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Nationwide's roadside service is very good.  And, it's free if you have car insurance through them.

It's especially nice for us since our cars are older.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 5:30:15 PM EDT
[#8]
This is why you keep a go bag in the car.  Water, snacks, etc, in case you're stuck in the middle of nowhere for hours on end in bad weather due to car trouble, etc.

I guess I should do that, lol.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 5:32:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
 I’d switch if there were another valid nationwide option.
View Quote

Check with your insurance company.   Thousands of local towing options is just as good as a "national" service.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 5:46:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Same issue with AAA, my cousin, who is blonde. Borrowed my SUV to go to Sioux Falls SD. She left from Denver and  for some reason she decide to go north up threw Wyoming and cut threw the pine ridge reservation in SD. Long story short she filled up my SUV with number 2 diesel at a gas station before she went threw the reservation. She was Lucky and the SUV didn't die tell she was out of the reservation at 1:00 am. We called AAA at 1:15 and the guy they contacted  for the tow was a lazy ass and left her out there tell 7:45 am before for he got off his fat ass. We called triple A and told them what happened and they blacklisted the towing company.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I got blacklisted from AAA.
They were running us ragged, sometimes 2 calls per hour all over the fucking place all day and night, and you never know what you're showing up to.
I had to stop, eat, fuel the truck, buy more batteries and refill gas and diesel cans sometime, they gave no fucks. We shed calls to other providers, they'd shed their calls on us, it was crazy how busy it was.

Link Posted: 7/23/2022 6:17:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Waiting 6 hours sucks, but trying to pushing it even 1 mile sucks worse
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 6:17:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Last month my kid turned 16, went for his license test on his birthday. Used my wife's jeep Wrangler with the retarded push button start. In his nervousness of taking the driving portion he parked the car with the instructor and pushed the button to shut the engine. He forgot to grab the retarded not a key and locked the doors. I carry all my keys and her other car key on my key ring, but I don't carry the retarded not a key because I'd rather carry my full-size 1911 in my pocket (it's more useful). So we called AAA and they arrived within 30 minutes to pop the locks. Not sure how they make money being they sent a flat bed truck from the next county south of us unlock the doors.

I hate retarded not keys.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 6:36:29 PM EDT
[#14]
85% of over 900 reviews say BAD!

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/aaa.com
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 6:56:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Tried using AAA once about 8 years ago. 5 hours for a tow truck in a populated metropolitan city.

Fuck them.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 7:07:55 PM EDT
[#16]
What's this road side assistance you guys speak of?  

Buddy called me while I was on vacation.  He was on his own vacation.  His alternator crapped out.  I backtracked over to him a as I was only a hundred or so miles from him.  Removed crapped out alternator and installed a new one in the O'Reilly parking lot.  Took longer for the engine to cool than it did to install a new alternator and belt.  

And then there is this...
[youtube]shorts/o6O4w9RhML0?feature=share[/youtube]
https://youtube.com/shorts/o6O4w9RhML0?feature=share

Link Posted: 7/23/2022 7:35:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Same with USAA....

I chalked it up to it was one of those times were roads were so icy that it was even too risky for tow trucks to come out - but now that I hear stories (like in this thread), I chalk it up to insurance companies being cheap bastards.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 7:59:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Ah yes I sat a few hours in the dark on the side of highway 71  in the A.M. hours waiting.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top