Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/30/2018 7:36:06 PM EDT
I'm getting within a couple of years to retirement. I want to travel around the country(mainly out west) and see the country.

Solitude. 2 or 3 months at a time. Or longer.

To that end, I am looking at setting up a truck as a camper. I'll be solo, and not looking for luxury. I have no brand loyalty, and I won't be towing.

Realistically, what should my budget fo the base truck be? 10K, 15K 20K?

So, which truck?

Can I reach back into the 2000's and get reliable trucks?

What's the most mileage you'd want on a given brand?

4wd?

Midsize or fullsize?

Do I need an extended cab?
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 7:43:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Lot of variables there man. What works in the dry ass desert might not be so good in the wet ass PNW. I think a good all around option would be full size 4wd with winch. That will give you the most capability, cargo and still be good in the mud or loose rocks and if you get stuck you can get out. I'd probably also get a locker installed. Not because I would be out rock crawling, but getting stuck in the back country just aint no damn fun.

Nice thing about extended cab is its extra space to keep your gear dry and still reach it from the cab. But I'd consider it optional.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 7:45:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ve put an air matress in the back of my 4Runner and slept. 6’-3” and a bend in my legs but it wasn’t bad.Had a friend who would put a tarp over his Ford Ranger and camp out. I believe the truck tent would work better for my Ford Ranger but I’ve never used one.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 7:46:18 PM EDT
[#3]
What is your definition of camping?

Paved pad off a paved road?   Any 2wd with whatever bed size you need would suffice.

The more remote you get, the more you will want 4wd.

Are you want a cabover camper rig, or just something like a snugtop or ARB?
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 7:46:41 PM EDT
[#4]
A van works, too. Ask me how I know.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 7:46:44 PM EDT
[#5]
budget?

100k.

not kidding. unless you really want to 'rough it'.

there are some forums that you can start you search in. i am mildly interested in the same idea. got curious and decided i wanted a 4 season truck camper with all the comforts. which are expensive. then you need a large pickup, say at least f350 dully, full bed, diesel.

the truck campers that caught my attention was arctic fox as its supposedly good for winters in cananda, ND, alaska etc. though there's a lot more too getting ready than just getting the truck and the camper.

that rabbit hole get me looking into 'expedition' vehicles, say all wheel drive, one step down from unimog MB frames. but it turns out the really good stuff is made in germany and is not legal in the us unless its 25 years old. and its uber expensive also.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 7:48:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
budget?

100k.

there are some forums that you can start you search in. i am mildly interested in the same idea. got curious and decided i wanted a 4 season truck camper with all the comforts. which are expensive. then you need a large pickup, say at least f350 dully, full bed, diesel.

the truck campers that caught my attention was arctic fox as its supposedly good for winters in cananda, ND, alaska etc. though there's a lot more too getting ready than just getting the truck and the camper.

that rabbit hole get me looking into 'expedition' vehicles, say all wheel drive, one step down from unimog MB frames. but it turns out the really good stuff is made in germany and is not legal in the us unless its 25 years old. and its uber expensive also.
View Quote
I would think "Not looking for luxury" almost immediately precludes expedition vehicles or slide ins.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 7:49:25 PM EDT
[#7]
My choice would be a SUV. Followed by a truck with one of those roof top tents over the bed.

Camping in a tent gets old after awhile, and while I'm ok with it on the motorcycle I would rather have some comfort if I was taking a truck/car/suv. The truck beds with caps turned campers are a huge pain to get in and out of every morning, and I'm a hell of a lot younger than you.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 7:50:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Paved pad off a paved road?   Any 2wd with whatever bed size you need would suffice.

View Quote
Just a camper shell type.

I want to mainly go down logging roads. Not doing rock crawling as such.

Definitely a winch is in order. I want to get the truck, and build it up slowly.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 7:52:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Definitely a winch is in order. I want to get the truck, and build it up slowly.
View Quote
Logging roads. That suggests mountains, which contain snow. As a guy who lives in just that.....I'd spring for a locker. It may be sunny and nice when you head up and if the weather turns on you that truck will set there till it melts in the spring if you are unlucky.

For what its worth I run 4WD no winch or locker, but I only day trip and dont go into snow. I may hike in, but I dont take chances up in those mountains.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 7:53:28 PM EDT
[#10]
lol, so this isn't going to really be the best idea for long term buuut....

sometimes we'd end up camping out in the dove field in early season to save driving time....i had a camper shell on the back of the truck, with sliding glass windows...
screwed a few 2x4s together to make a frame to hold a window unit ac, duct taped some painters plastic around the edges to make it air tight, and ran the power to a generator on the rv someone else was using.
the guys in the tent didn't have a good night, but the back of my truck was 68 degrees all night
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 7:54:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
budget?

100k.

View Quote
LoL

Do you take an RV "camping"?
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 7:54:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I would think "Not looking for luxury" almost immediately precludes expedition vehicles or slide ins.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
budget?

100k.

yes.. well he said solitude, months at a time. i threw in 'all season' since 'months at a time' might imply it.

and off the beaten track, boon-docking, so you might need a bit more than just a mattress in the back of the pickup.

and.. luxury.. i would spec out a custom diesel pusher not a truck camper. i'd want at least, heat, air-conditioning, a toilet, a shower, a frige, a generator, and enough water and so forth to let me get my 'solitude'.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 7:54:35 PM EDT
[#13]
A Suburban with the two back seats removed.

Better yet, a Quigley van!
OK now maybe a Quigley is a tad over budget.

If you go with a truck there is a really cool thread on Tacomaworld about converting your truck to a sleeper with storage options.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 7:55:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

yes.. well he said solitude, months at a time. i threw in 'all season' since 'months at a time' might imply it.

and off the beaten track, boon-docking, so you might need a bit more than just a mattress in the back of the pickup.

and.. luxury.. i would spec out a custom diesel pusher not a truck camper. i'd want at least, heat, air-conditioning, a toilet, a shower, a frige, a generator, and enough water and so forth to let me get my 'solitude'.
View Quote
Well, I wouldnt want any of that shit. Cause I wouldnt do months at a time out there!
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 7:58:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

LoL

Do you take an RV "camping"?
View Quote
nosir. nope nope noe.

but.... the title included the text 'truck' and 'camper'. as in 'truck-camper' as in getting into the boonies. not taking your RV to some RV camp to hob-knob with other RV-folks (which, from what i can determine, gets on some folks nerves, what with all those folks and their yip dogs packed into a parking lot).
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 7:58:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check out 4wheelcampers
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 7:58:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 8:01:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I spent a week at Oshkosh in a pickup.  It worked well for me,  even in the rain.  An I was comfortable.

The truck I used is a 14 F150 four door with a 6.5 ? foot box.  It has a tonneau cover.  Ideally a topper would have been a bit nicer.

I set up a 6x6 or so fold up canopy behind the truck and backed the opened tailgate and about the first 8 inches or so of the box under it.  The coolers and chairs went under that,  the tailgate has the step and handle on it so that was slick for getting in and out.  All the bedding and clothing bags were in the box.  Anything valuable was inside the rear portion of the crew cab.  I Would leave the tailgate down and tuck a thick blanket in the tonneau framework and drape it over the tailgate to enclose the box.

It was surprisingly comfortable.

ETA:  Honestly the above was much more roomy and comfortable than my Tahoe in the same use.  I spent a few days in Duluth in the Tahoe and room was hard to come by for sleeping and storage of valuables.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 8:01:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah, a fullsize van sounds like a better rig for this purpose. You can also make covert camping rigs out of them and not draw attention in parking lots and such.

Sleeping in a pickup bed with a canopy is certainly viable, but not ideal long term.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 8:02:23 PM EDT
[#20]
To clarify, The "months at a time" meant wandering around, not going Jeremiah Johnson.

Go to an area, camp out several days(however long)  , do day hikes and then back to town for supplies and a shower.

Then move on.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 8:02:26 PM EDT
[#21]

I lived in various vehicles on and off. My current vehicle is a F150 and I am going to install a fiberglass shell and a drawer system. Mostly for gun/ammo transporting. But also if I ever needed to live in my vehicle again, I can be already setup and comfy. The best vehicle would be a van and read up on CheapRVLiving (Plus various YouTube videos).

What I am looking to setup.

Then I will make a mattress for the top.

EDIT:
My truck is a 2006 F150 4x4 5.4, bought with over 210k from original owner with out receipts for $5,000. Been very reliable and runs like new.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 8:02:34 PM EDT
[#22]
So you want to spend 20K on a used pickup, that you're going to essentially put a topper on, and go into the back country and live for months at a time?

I'd throw some cash in on a Gofundme to get you setup with some GoPro's.

Post some regular videos and you could become ARFCOM's really low budget version of Survivorman.

But in all seriousness, check out the forum called "Expedition Portal", I'm sure they've got plenty of guys doing the same thing with vehicle builds, etc.

If you want to waste a few hours on Youtube and see how the Toyota / Magpul / General Tire sponsored guys do it, I'd highly recommend the XOverland channel run by the guys at xoverland.com
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 8:03:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Don’t use the cheap truck tents, I have one and they are not for long term. I like the idea of the shell. They are light and waterproof. I would also consider power options.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 8:04:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Was just gonna post something like that. Find ya a used Ford E350 4x4 cargo van and kit it out yourself.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 8:04:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Id go with a suburban or van of some sort.

If samsquach and his buddies find you in a pick up bed you are stuck.  In the other options you can hop in the driver set and gtfo before they stick their hairy squach dicks in your holes.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 8:05:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Tahoe or Suburban'll work as well.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 8:07:15 PM EDT
[#27]
This is easy. 2004-2006 Chevrolet Suburban 4x4.

They are cheap and you can keep everything inside including you in a controlled HVAC environment they have a ton of space inside and outside and are actually pretty capable off road. Trust me I’ve taken them there.

If I didn’t do that I would buy a 2004-2006 regular cab LONG box barebones work truck and get a kick ass huge topper and use that.

Both of these options are fairly cheap and pretty reliable and easy to fix on the road.

Also a 2003-2006 Chevy express van. Tons of room and just as reliable and cheap!
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 8:07:21 PM EDT
[#28]
What do you think that will sell for?
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 8:10:39 PM EDT
[#29]
An SUV or van will be way more comfy and secure if it's just you.

Walking from your bed to the driver's seat is a lot nicer than going outside, or climbing through a 12x18 window.  You can also blast some AC or heat if the temp get unbearable.

Much more structurally sound than a camper shell.  With a good roof-rack you can carry a extra gear, sleep on the roof, or even take a chair up there to star gaze.

4WD would be important to me, but it depends on where you want to go.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 8:11:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

nosir. nope nope noe.

but.... the title included the text 'truck' and 'camper'. as in 'truck-camper' as in getting into the boonies. not taking your RV to some RV camp to hob-knob with other RV-folks (which, from what i can determine, gets on some folks nerves, what with all those folks and their yip dogs packed into a parking lot).
View Quote
Camper shells aren't roughing it by any stretch of the imagination.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 8:12:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 8:12:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This is easy. 2004-2006 Chevrolet Suburban 4x4.

They are cheap and you can keep everything inside including you in a controlled HVAC environment they have a ton of space inside and outside and are actually pretty capable off road. Trust me I've taken them there.

If I didn't do that I would buy a 2004-2006 regular cab LONG box barebones work truck and get a kick ass huge topper and use that.

Both of these options are fairly cheap and pretty reliable and easy to fix on the road.

Also a 2003-2006 Chevy express van. Tons of room and just as reliable and cheap!
View Quote
Hmm. I see lot's of these with 100k plus going for 8-10 grand.

Is that a go?

edit: make that closer to 200K miles., and 15 grand.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 8:14:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Is that a go?
View Quote
$4-6k in Orlando if you wait and jump.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 8:15:17 PM EDT
[#34]
I have no idea but that sounds like a lot of fun and something I would like to do.  One or two of those little inverter generators, a bag of ,charcoal and some cast iron pans,  maybe a few non resident hunting permits..
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#35]
I posted a thread a few years ago about truck camping from Tennessee to Oregon and all through the Southwest- mostly off th grid and National parks.

Ask me anything.

You don’t need a 100k setup to be comfortable.  

4x4 is a necessity. I literally built the camping setup the afternoon before my wife and I left.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 8:17:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I posted a thread a few years ago about truck camping from Tennessee to Oregon and all through the Southwest- mostly off th grid and National parks.

Ask me anything.

You don't need a 100k setup to be comfortable.  

4x4 is a necessity. I literally built the camping setup the afternoon before my wife and I left.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/161329/64E7CAFC-ED0A-4DC3-B451-C1B589EAAA57-530625.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/161329/DFBD374F-1025-4A32-A4F5-175AB2EEA7B2-530626.JPG
View Quote
Hell yeah!
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 8:22:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Truck camping; is there any other way?
I don’t always need 4x4.  But when I do, I’m awfully glad to have it

A fold-up cot is nice to have; doesn’t take up much space, doesn’t weigh much.
Camping stove; a two-burner stove is also nice but not necessary.
5-gallon container for potable water, ice chest
First aid & fire extinguisher.  I personally carry a small trauma kit as well
EZ-UP; shade in the desert is a blessing (optional of course, depends on where you go)
Two camping chairs
Tire plug/patch kit, 12v air compressor, spare serpentine belt, basic tools.
Small shovel, snow chains (if applicable)
Fishing gear
Bug spray

Food can be as simple or extravagant as you want, but Mountain House gets old after a few days
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 8:22:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Barebones last minute?

You can get by with a couple of pieces of PVC pipe, a vinyl tarp, an air mattress, some tent stakes, and paracord.

Set the PVC pipe in the truck bed stakes and cross them, corner to corner.   Throw tarp over the crossed tent frame and stake it to the ground.   Super cheap and effective.

I did that at cola warrior west 4 and it survived some serious wind and rain without leaking.

Otherwise, you can get an old Explorer or Blazer and take the back seat out.  Throw air mattress down.  Voila.   Nice part about that is, you have air conditioning if you need it.  Unless you're camping somewhere that gets pissed off about idling engines in the campground.   I know the big campground areas in Big Bend don't like that. Found that out when I idled my CUCV to run the MRE heater for coffee.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 8:22:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Check out this setup.

" />
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 8:22:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Yeah, a fullsize van sounds like a better rig for this purpose. You can also make covert camping rigs out of them and not draw attention in parking lots and such.

Sleeping in a pickup bed with a canopy is certainly viable, but not ideal long term.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine isn't 4x4, although you can get a 4x4 van (or build one). But it has AT tires. It does fine on logging roads.

Not luxurious, but something to mooch around the country in. And cheap.

Best of all, it doesn't attract attention. On the outside, it just
looks like a plain old everyday pedo van.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2018 8:23:09 PM EDT
[#41]
I have been wanting to take trips like the OP is talking about.
I have a 4 door diesel 4x4( bro dozer) and it pretty much sucks off road. Bed cover and toppers don't allow enough space, Slide in campers arn't cheap and would really make the truck even less capable off road.
I have pretty much decided that a off road tear drop type trailer with a jeep or 4 runner type vehicle to tow it.
Expedition Portal has already been mentioned. There is a section on off road trailers. There is another website that I cant remember the name (someone else here may know) that was for home built trailers and cargo trailer conversions.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 8:23:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Is that a go?

edit: make that closer to 200K miles., and 15 grand.
View Quote
@feudist

Yes great platforms! You can find better deals though. I can find them all day in those years with 170k or less for less then $9000 all day here in Iowa and I’m guessing you could find even better and cheaper ones further west or south.

I have little girls and I’m buying the same thing to make a comfy weekend camping rig. Got to start them young and going to make sure they are super comfy and have fun.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 8:24:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Camper shells aren't roughing it by any stretch of the imagination.
View Quote
its all relative.

camper shell colorado mountains during ski season is one 'stretch'

camper shell in middle florida in mid summer is another 'stretch'

its all a matter of perspective. heck, if you are tough enough, you can sleep out in the sleeting rain in a heavy wool blanket.

having slept outside (well in a car) in the summer in south ga for instance several times, it might not be 'roughing it' but its not something i would choose to do for 'fun'.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 8:24:05 PM EDT
[#44]
There is a company that makes campers that fit in the back of most beds and include a a shower and a space for a compost toilet.

ETA: Arctic Fox. Models that include a ton of nice things for $40,000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR2SnjprYMU
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 8:32:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Also with all that room you would have in a van or Burban then make some pvc poles or out of branches and bring a 20x20 nice tarp.

Now you have a ton of space inside and a ton of space covered outside.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 8:37:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Anything is doable depending on what you're willing to put up with.   As someone who's done several trips of a month at a time crossing the US and down into Baja I'd highly recommend something with enough room to move around in.  It's not all traveling, hiking and beautiful days in great locations.  There will be days/nights where you have to pull over in some truck stop because you're too tired to drive or the campground you expected to hit is still too far away or full or hundreds of other things that add to the adventure.  There will also be days when you're set up and the weather decides to be very uncooperative.  Being stuck in the back of a truck for a day or two gets old quick.  Having to cook in the rain or slip out to go to the bathroom gets old.  It's nice to be able to sit up, move around, read, write, watch a movie on your laptop, etc.  For longer term use I'd strongly suggest looking into some sort of truck camper such as one of the lightweight pop-ups like 4Wheel camper. one of the tent style shells for trucks like the Tacoma or a van/Class B.  Spend some time on sites like Expedition Portal, Wander The West, etc and watch youtube videos of other people doing it.

It's a learning process while you figure out what works for you but you can learn a lot from folks who are already doing it.

<---- Camps out of the back of my Tacoma and thinking about buying one of these pop-upsbut would love to buy a Sportsmobile style van.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 8:37:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Another jeep vs. 4runner fight
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 8:42:37 PM EDT
[#49]
There was a really great thread on here a few years back of an Arfcommer who lived out of his truck for months, even through cold weather.  He did pretty detailed posts on issues he ran into and how he organized the little space he had in the back.  If I remember he just had a standard camper shell on the back.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 8:44:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Earthroamer

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top