Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 10:33:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Www.expedition Portal.   Plenty of ideas and tips that might be useful.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 10:36:14 AM EDT
[#2]
This

Link Posted: 5/1/2018 1:07:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Think average klutz for normal kitchen spillage making two three meals a day over the long haul.
Months of Spills, smells , clean up, prep space , standing is nice, cooking for a group, frying stuff in your bedroom , it's nice to have the option if you're cooking bacon, seafood, meat.
It's nice to be able to move a lot of that outside.  
View Quote
True, but only in nice weather. I like being able to cook inside if it's raining or freezing out.

ETA: I'll also use a portable Coleman stove if I'd rather cook outside.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 4:34:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Google sprinter van conversions. This is what you seek.

Look for a used Mercedes 144" or 170" wheelbase sprinter van with 4x4. They are hard to find used but are awesome for what you seek.

You can walk around inside, sleep in a full size mattress and have plenty of room for gear. Getting in and out of a truck bed will get tiresome very quick. Not to mention the  limited room, your stuff getting wet when you open the camper shell.

I  have  camped out of a truck and it is doable for short term. Longer term camping the way you want to do then the sprinter van is perfect. I have been doing it for 3 months now and will not truck camp again

Also get a rewards card for truck stops like Pilot, Flying J, or Loves. They have showers you can use with the rewards points when you get gas or diesel. Also planet fitness gym membership is 20.00 a month and you can use theirs showers 24/7 and work out if you are into that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 5:05:36 PM EDT
[#5]
this thread started my research on sprinter van conversions....again.  Jesus Christ!!!! Who the freak has $150K or MORE to buy these magnificent vehicles?  I think they are awesome and would be a perfect option for off road camping very comfortably.  My son plays travel hockey and we also travel for frequent mountain bike races around the south east.  I see these sprinters at some of his races and I always wonder who these people are that can swing the cost of a small home for their mobile abode?  I love the versions with the water closet/toilet/shower combo.  The apocalyptic fantasy would be very comfy with a well equipped sprinter van with solar, a 50 cal gun turret etc.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 5:19:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
this thread started my research on sprinter van conversions....again.  Jesus Christ!!!! Who the freak has $150K or MORE to buy these magnificent vehicles?  I think they are awesome and would be a perfect option for off road camping very comfortably.  My son plays travel hockey and we also travel for frequent mountain bike races around the south east.  I see these sprinters at some of his races and I always wonder who these people are that can swing the cost of a small home for their mobile abode?  I love the versions with the water closet/toilet/shower combo.  The apocalyptic fantasy would be very comfy with a well equipped sprinter van with solar, a 50 cal gun turret etc.
View Quote
if i could afford it what i'd want is a bimobil EX 480 expeditionary vehicle. however, its not legal for import into the us. 4wd lockers and a lot of things that let you stay off grid for long periods of time. im gonna guess this would cost between 300-400k. there's a german couple with vids on youtube that are traveling the world in one.

the earthroamer stuff might be ok but its is uber expensive.

i want all season functionality. i mean winters in alaska type performance. and i want comfort. and i want to be able to avoid the rv parks. if you check out rv living you will find some people love it, its very social and some folks hate it because too many folks too close making too much noise.

Link Posted: 5/1/2018 5:27:24 PM EDT
[#7]
When I was a kid in the 50's my grandfather would throw two bails of hay and a lariat rope in the back of the pickup along with a good size tarp.

When we decided on a camp sight he would back the truck up close to a tree. He would tie the rope to the tree at the same height as the top of the cab and pull the rope over the cab and tie it to the front bumper. He would throw the tarp over the rope and spread out the two bails of hay. Voila.....instant camper
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 5:45:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I truck camp a lot. Last year I bought a quick set up shelter from Clam Industries. I got it specifically for the "buggy" summer months.
One person can set it up in about 1 minute.
Clam Six Pack Screen Tent Video...The others don''t compare.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 6:54:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I've wanted to do this for a while, and it looks like a blast. but as I get older I'm realizing I want a clean place to poop that's out of the weather. so I need something that's at least that big. As my kid gets older if he gets into travel sports I'll either do a van or a small ass RV. seems like a great option for staying where you are. also seems like it would be more fun than hotels and junk.

as far as suggestions for what you're doing, I would check some off road vehicle forums. I'm a member of FJcruiser forums and the builds, storage hacks, slide out kitchens, etc some of these people come up with are fantastic.

I would also suggest you take a look at a little off road trailer. even if you don't put a pop up or roof top tent on it like most, it may be a good way to come up with a bunch of storage room and bring supplies. and you can leave it as a base camp when you leave to head our for a short trip.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 6:57:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Lot's of great info here.

Some followup questions.

Is 4x4 an absolute necessity? Like I said, not rock crawling but I intend to go into the desert and snowy places.

I've seen a couple of very enthusiastic Suburban recommendations. Any more comments on those? Other SUVs?

Great suggestion for Planet Fitness.

How about Chevy's and Dodge Rams?

What is the oldest vehicle you'd buy used for this kind of use?
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 7:04:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Some followup questions.

Is 4x4 an absolute necessity? Like I said, not rock crawling but I intend to go into the desert and snowy places.

I've seen a couple of very enthusiastic Suburban recommendations. Any more comments on those? Other SUVs?

View Quote
4X4 isn't exactly necessary, but will be hell of a lot cheaper than the recovery fees in some state/national parks if you get stuck and can't wiggle your way out.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 7:18:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I truck camp a lot. Last year I bought a quick set up shelter from Clam Industries. I got it specifically for the "buggy" summer months.
One person can set it up in about 1 minute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qHSO18qK18
View Quote
That looks like the bombdiggity.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 8:22:17 PM EDT
[#13]
The tall long van is my current setup, but I've camped in small and large trucks, and subaru wagons, even a honda civic that converted to a tear drop kinda thing with nash seats.
I like the step-through van the best because you can park and go to sleep without getting out of the vehicle, and take off your shoes out of the weather.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 10:01:50 PM EDT
[#14]
One day someone will figure out how to make a Suburban RV conversion.

Meanwhile used Sprinter-based RVs can be found for $40k or less.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 12:08:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Some followup questions.

View Quote
I would 100% go with a 4x4. There are a lot of cool campsites that you’ll never get to in 2wd, especially RWD only.

Any truck brand will be fine. I like my 2012 Dodge, and have driven it across the country 3 times camping, off-roading sometimes pulling a trailer.

It totally depends on the condition on what year you’re comfortable with. Newer models have better 4x4, fuel economy, road noise...
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 12:30:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Some followup questions.

View Quote
Yes. 4wd should be #1 on your list, you don't want a long puddle in the road to be your kryptonite.

I'm doing something similar right now but I'm building mine, 91 squarebody suburban, rebuilt axles from a 3/4 ton chevy, new transfer case, rebuilt trans, and a new or rebuilt motor. And a bit of a lift on 35" tires.

Something I know how to work on, something that I know will be reliable, and something that's built tough. I plan on getting a CVT tent but on the top of a suburban will be pretty high up, so ill have to figure out a plan for that.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 1:13:37 AM EDT
[#17]
google vandocking, boondocking, van camper conversions. Basically turning a cargo van into a stealth camper. I really really want to do this for colder weather camping. a few solar panes on the roof, insulate and put just come wood paneling for the walls etc. build a bunk and little kitchenette  looks like a fun build and pretty practical
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 1:16:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
One day someone will figure out how to make a Suburban RV conversion.

Meanwhile used Sprinter-based RVs can be found for $40k or less.
View Quote
The Suburban RV conversion has been done a few times, but it's a laborious process.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 1:41:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Earthroamer

View Quote
I passed one on I5 south of Bakersfield a few weeks ago - thing was f’ing huge.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 2:01:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Power Wagon with a shell.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 3:06:02 AM EDT
[#21]
4x4? Yes, so you can go where you want to go in rougher terrain or bad weather.

Topper would be a must. Also, a good air mattress.

Extended cab? At least, for cargo storage, work bench, etc. 4 doors would be best be it extended cab or 4 full doors.
I have the divorced daddy special 3 door extended cab, where the extra door is just on the passenger side, I can't tell you how much I wish I had the 4 door to access the back seat from the drivers side.

I like the truck idea better than the sleeper motorhome and all that jazz if you are content to be even more minimalist. Far more mobile when your not worried about sloshing the shitter and cargo all over.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 4:09:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

@DOBERMAN Does he have a build log or YouTube vid on that van? It looks just like what I want to build.
View Quote
That’s actually a stock pic I found on the inter webs. He found his used in San Diego and it already had the exterior ladder and all terrain wheels. Any other modifications he was making, he found through some forums he said. I want to say he paid $30k for it. I can’t remember the guy’s name so I can’t ask him for a build sheet.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 4:22:05 AM EDT
[#23]
An old boss I had when I was working for an armor company(personal, bunker & construction, transport-nuke) bought a Stewart & Stevenson M1079 LMTV at GOV auction for the same purposes.  It was fucking awesome, if a bit big(tall) as you’re climbing 5ft to get to the floor of the rear box.  I had so many design ideas, the sky is the limit.  He grabbed it for just under $12k, was a 1997-1998 with something like 9k miles. 6.6L diesel, Allison 7spd auto.

2 1/2 ton, LMTV

Or a M1083a1, 5 ton FMTV 6x6.

M923, or maybe M934a2.  No need to create a box, has expandable one already.

Link Posted: 5/2/2018 10:40:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I would 100% go with a 4x4. There are a lot of cool campsites that you’ll never get to in 2wd, especially RWD only.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some followup questions.

There are also lots of cool campsites you can get to in 2wd but if it rains you'll never get out
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 10:53:34 AM EDT
[#25]
20k and another 10k in aftermarket.

Get a domestic, better aftermarket (exception to toyota).

If you aren't going to tow, I'd get a Tacoma.  Can go more places due to size, lots of aftermarket, and very capable when done right.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 10:54:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Earthroamer

View Quote
Yeah, if you have 3-500k laying around
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 10:54:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
There was a really great thread on here a few years back of an Arfcommer who lived out of his truck for months, even through cold weather.  He did pretty detailed posts on issues he ran into and how he organized the little space he had in the back.  If I remember he just had a standard camper shell on the back.
View Quote
I remember that thread.  He was posting from an apple device as I recall.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 11:11:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lots of people out there have a $50k truck pulling a trailer with a pair of $25k SxS or a $75k bass boat, so I don't see this being that surprising. What blows my mind is additionally having the TIME to go off the grid for months.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 11:50:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yes. 4wd should be #1 on your list, you don't want a long puddle in the road to be your kryptonite.

I'm doing something similar right now but I'm building mine, 91 squarebody suburban, rebuilt axles from a 3/4 ton chevy, new transfer case, rebuilt trans, and a new or rebuilt motor. And a bit of a lift on 35" tires.

Something I know how to work on, something that I know will be reliable, and something that's built tough. I plan on getting a CVT tent but on the top of a suburban will be pretty high up, so ill have to figure out a plan for that.
View Quote
Maybe make a hatch/sunroof on top of the cargo area, so you leave the Suburban and climb directly into the tent.  They have factory made conversions like that for Honda Elements.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 12:53:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Maybe make a hatch/sunroof on top of the cargo area, so you leave the Suburban and climb directly into the tent.  They have factory made conversions like that for Honda Elements.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can graft a VW Westfalia poptop or otehr pop-up onto a Suburban if you're willing to do some cutting and fabricating.  Two xxamples- https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/2003-suburban-1500-pop-top-conversion.142300/ and https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/my-1989-suburban-with-a-westfalia-top-grafted-into-it-also-dual-360-swivel-seats.128696/

I'd do a U-Joint conversion on a Ford Econoline such as a Class B before I reworked a Suburban though- more practical interior possibilities.  The conversion for the Honda Element was made by Ursa Mino- they make a nice top for Jeeps.  Dan is still cruising around Africa in his- The Road Chose Me  I think Coyote Works is using the same top IIRC.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 12:58:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I posted a thread a few years ago about truck camping from Tennessee to Oregon and all through the Southwest- mostly off th grid and National parks.

Ask me anything.

You don’t need a 100k setup to be comfortable.  

4x4 is a necessity. I literally built the camping setup the afternoon before my wife and I left.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/161329/64E7CAFC-ED0A-4DC3-B451-C1B589EAAA57-530625.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/161329/DFBD374F-1025-4A32-A4F5-175AB2EEA7B2-530626.JPG
View Quote
What did you do to control condensation and mildew?
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 7:26:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Lived outside 6 years. Had 10 VW Westfalia’s, 4 Syncro, 6 2wd, 3 auto. All grand. Had them places 4x4 1/2 ton and up can’t go. Syncro easily does Ophir Pass and Alpine Loops in Telluride, Ajax in Aspen, and desert washes in Utah. 4x4 Quigly Ford E350, fabulous ride, horror story quality, leaks dust like a sieve, $7000 injectors at 100k, starved a cylinder at 118k for $18,000.  2002 Eurovan Camper, awesome; 2001 Rialta awesome; 2003 Sunstar awesome. No off-road or wet fire roads, pavement and gravel paradise. 4x4 Nissan extra cab longbed shell, too spartan. Jeep Wrangler slept next to it in bivvy sack. Best nights sleep in a blizzard ever. Impractical. Ultralight tent at 12,500 feet for weeks. Gotta be under 50 pounds total weight, food water bag light, with walking poles. Camp tents on ground or truck shell roof, too sloshy dirty funky spartan. Would repeat  VW Syncro Westy 2 lockers, solid high-roof, huge undetected storage, second bed or endless storage, cook outside $14 hibachi $4 butane, porta-potti for legality.

Just grabbed 2012 Chevy 1500 4x4 extra cab shortbed, Northstar TC650, sleep low hard-sided in cities and bear campgrounds on 78” dinette bed; popped up trail side 6’7” standing height, full queen. Adding awning and 4-6” lift.

Advice on best lift?  3.75”, 4”, 6” options, or open to 2.5” leveling lift if too high and tippy, based on your experiences. Thanks.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top