Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:04:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I hate to know people lost their jobs. Haven't used them since the 60s and wanted 2.5x the freight rate. We don't do much now  We use AAA Cooper for the occasional condenser or furnace.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:05:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unions, fucking their workers and enriching the kingpins since their inception.
View Quote
Union didn't do this to Yellow, their corporate big wigs and their poor financial decisions did. They bought and bought beyond what they could control. Been going on for years.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:06:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe they can go to work for ups. Still some meat on the bones there to pick off…
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:07:40 PM EDT
[#4]
A couple of years after my Dad mustered out of the Air Corps in WW2 he walked across a "picket line" in Dallas to go to work. He was called "SCAB!!" and threatened. NO FUCKS GIVEN for the idiots that join unions. I never needed a "nanny" to negotiate my wage OR the price I charged for my products later in life. Just think Union Guys. You're now without a job, no pension, no future and you're old. The "bosses" of your "union? They are fat and happy with all the money they STOLE from you.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:07:46 PM EDT
[#5]
The should have had the foresight to put Hunter on the Board of Directors.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:08:01 PM EDT
[#6]
For those here blaming the union, obviously don't know the history of YFC

Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:10:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

6.4% hazmat OOS versus national average of 4.5% - holy shit that's awful.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah, went to healthcare costs and new equipment.  

I mean yeah, in theory it went off shore.  They bought primarily International (Navistar, owned by VW), Freightliner (Daimler group) trucks and Hyundai trailers. So equipment wise, it went off shore in that way.

But they got tied to government contracts. Which, I’ve dealt with a number of carriers who base the majority of their capacity and operations on government contracts. They all go under / bankrupt at some point in time.

Yellow was also (in)famous for damaging freight. Which costs a ton of money.  Their safety standards were laxed. Their hazmat OOS is above average. For a large company, as large as they were, to have that level of OOS, is sad at best.  Don’t believe me?

Public CSA score:  https://ai.fmcsa.dot.gov/SMS/Carrier/71821/Overview.aspx?FirstView=True

US DOT# 71821

6.4% hazmat OOS versus national average of 4.5% - holy shit that's awful.

Their general OOS rate is bad.

My hazmat OOS rate is higher. But we had a paperwork issue between a refinery and us, that the DOT bee lined to. And we got 5 quick tickets before the refinery fixed the paperwork.  (Their diesel BOL, said flammable. Not combustible… and we had 1993 placards on, not 1203… because we were carrying diesel, not gasoline…)

Anyways those will be falling off soon.  But my truck OOS rate is much lower than theirs.  And my driver OOS is literally 0.  With ELD’s I don’t get how you have a driver OOS score at all.  Especially in a large company.

In the next ~6 months my OOS rate over all should be almost 0.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:10:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Union didn't do this to Yellow, their corporate big wigs and their poor financial decisions did. They bought and bought beyond what they could control. Been going on for years.
View Quote
Get both?

Yellow had the goal of becoming a super regional. One issue is that all of the other carriers they purchased led to a lot of redundancy in capability and obviously more costs of underutilized assets. They've been slow in shedding those redundant facilities.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:11:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Do people really count on only their employer funded union managed pension and not save anything else?
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:12:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:12:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

The union had zero to do with this. Yellow bought up 5 profitable companies and ran them into the dirt.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:12:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Bidennomics is hard at work. All you Never-Trumpers have fucked the working man.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:13:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Union put the final knife in them to pressure UPS.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:13:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Bidennomics is hard at work. All you Never-Trumpers have fucked the working man.
View Quote

lol wut?
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:14:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

To repeat what I said in a thread a couple weeks back:

The Execs fucked the drivers.

The Union fucked the drivers,

The drivers....well they got proper fucked.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:15:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Oldest LTL carrier in the country. This is gonna cause some significant waves in the freight business.
View Quote

It’s not the oldest. Not sure who is but ABF is older.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:16:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
With the massive amount of shit that ships now how are they not killing it?
View Quote

Incompetence and/or debt.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:16:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Amazon trucking will be along shortly with new EV trucks.
View Quote

…and freight costs will skyrocket increasing the income gap between the working man and the fat cat Democrats.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:17:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Oldest LTL carrier in the country. This is gonna cause some significant waves in the freight business.
View Quote

Plenty of LTL capacity out there in my opinion.

It’s going to force contract shipping companies to renegotiate with a new company. Which will be better for the trucking side, not the shipper however.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:18:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

CEOs are the good guys?
View Quote

Extortion isn’t exactly “good” either.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:19:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

And the mob business…
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:20:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

lol wut?
View Quote

Own it, they caused the increase in operating costs and all of the economic consequences. Trump raised the real wages of the working man and Biden destroyed all of the befit that the working man received under Trump.

There is a reason the Big Government elitists are out to destroy Trump. Get your head out of your ass or the sand depending on how you came to your conclusion.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:20:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:21:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Amazon trucking will be along shortly with new EV trucks.
View Quote

Not sure if this was a joke of serious, but Amazon is actually in the process of rolling out a freight version of the local delivery van model. Technically the trucks are owned and operated by independent contractors but they are Amazon branded trucks, a lot of them are running on natural gas.  They only work for Amazon and Amazon controls everything they do.

It makes a lot of sense, Amazon is big enough that they can use their logistics infrastructure to use a relay system to move freight around both for themselves and third-party customers.  The drivers get to be home every night and they get paid hourly instead of by the mile. You aren't going to make as much money as being over the road non-stop, but it's not a bad income for what you're doing (no touching freight, just dropping hook from one hub to another).

And Amazon doesn't have the legacy costs that Yellow has accumulated.  I expect them to make big gains in market share in the industry.

https://www.amazon.com/?tag=arfcom00-20

For third party shippers:https://www.amazon.com/?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:21:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

To repeat what I said in a thread a couple weeks back:

The Execs fucked the drivers.

The Union fucked the drivers,

The drivers....well they got proper fucked.
View Quote

Those who refuse to put any blame on the Teamsters are out of touch. The unions exist for one reason and only one reason. To make the union bosses wealthy AF. They will talk about how they take such great care of their members, but will they give any of their massive wealth to the members they’ve been milking dues from for years - especially those who’ll likely lose their pension at YRC?

ETA: I also blamed YRC management in my earlier post. It was run poorly.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:22:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The Teamsters are at the heart of this. There are only a couple of LTL companies that are unionized, and those experience much higher personal costs.

The following is my understanding of how this all went down. Feel free to add to or correct if I've got something wrong.

The Teamsters have a new president who's name escapes me at the moment. He's been playing hard ball with every negotiation so far. When it came to Yellow, Yellow basically said, if you're not willing to make some concessions, we're going under. The Teamsters basically said fuck you, we're not compromising. Yellow said, we told you so and defaulted on a major payment to the Teamsters pension fund. Teamsters came back and said we'll maybe we overreacted and we can still negotiate. At that point it was too late because Yellow's freight volume fell off a cliff due to shippers unwilling to have freight in Yellow's system when the doors get locked during bankruptcy.

Incidentally, it looks like a Yellow bankruptcy would end in a liquidation sale of assets. Given the huge drop off in freight, the value of the name and customer base has less value than that of their physical assets at this point.
View Quote

The union isn’t to blame. They have taken a ton of concessions since 2009. In fact they haven’t given up billions to Yellow. One problem yellow had was way too many supervisors. They run 25-50% more supervisors than my company. And their freight rates were way too cheap.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:23:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Own it, they caused the increase in operating costs and all of the economic consequences. Trump raised the real wages of the working man and Biden destroyed all of the befit that the working man received under Trump.

There is a reason the Big Government elitists are out to destroy Trump. Get your head out of your ass or the sand depending on how you came to your conclusion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol wut?

lol wut?

Dude, you’re clearly not in the trucking business.   Read my posts, or, well, continue to act like a boomer on the internet.

Sometimes businesses are.. just mismanaged. It happens.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Union put the final knife in them to pressure UPS.
View Quote
I want to speculate UPS did not need any outside influence of YFC to make an agreement on their contract. YFC has been setting themselves up for this for a long time. Sad to see what is happening to their drivers.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:29:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
The government was given a good share of YFC I thought after the last bailout, someone in the know hopefully chimes in.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:30:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The union isn't to blame. They have taken a ton of concessions since 2009. In fact they haven't given up billions to Yellow. One problem yellow had was way too many supervisors. They run 25-50% more supervisors than my company. And their freight rates were way too cheap.
View Quote
I don't disagree with you. I was only speaking to the final fork in yellow. Not what led up to them being in that situation.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:31:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Yellow truck lines? Aren’t they one of the really big ones?
View Quote

They were…
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:35:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
So the teamsters avoided a strike due to the fact that pension payments would be made and the result was the company had to cease operations and dissolve?

Enjoy your final pension payment.
View Quote

Union employees aren't really known for their subtle grasp of math and economics.

Haven't you ever seen them dancing in front of a shut-down company on their last day of work yelling "We WON!!!!!!!", too stupid to realize that they are now unemployed and NOBODY with half a brain will hire them knowing what they are?
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:36:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol wut?

Trump was president when all this shit started
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:36:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I don't know the details but i'm sure the fuel cost has a lot to do with this disaster.
View Quote

The past fifteen years have gone from disaster to absolute disaster for this company.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:37:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe not, but I know the history of unions, particularly the Teamsters. As bad as the UAW and the longshoremen.

Come ON, robots.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:37:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Yellow is saddled with some $1.5 billion in debt as of late March, including $729.2 million owed to the federal government for a controversial pandemic-era loan the Treasury Department extended on national security grounds in 2020.

Fuck em
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:38:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Do people really count on only their employer funded union managed pension and not save anything else?
View Quote

Dumb people. You know, the kind who wear shiny jackets with their union on the back and their name on the front. In case they forget their name, I guess.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:38:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Yellow had a lot of bad things going for it:

- Tons of fixed rate contracts that were not profitable
- Loans on buy outs that were not profitable
- Loans on overly expensive equipment.
- Several duplication of assets they couldn’t shed from acquisitions.
- Strong competition from newer LTL carriers.
- Weak maintenance & Safety records.
- Union / teamster costs.  
- History of generally not giving a fuck. Freight damage expenses, equipment, not paying bills, etc.

Biden, trump, anyone in office wouldn’t have prevented this. Doesn’t matter the economic conditions that we are, or are not in. Doesn’t matter the state of the trucking industry.  Doesn’t matter the union negotiations.  They had an absolute ton of co morbidities.  Not a single thing killed them, all the things killed them.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:40:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Wait until the trucks start driving themselves. Problem solved. New problems start. Circle of life.

And before some fucking gomer says "never", bullshit. Ten years, tops. You'll start seeing it in five. Smaller things are starting now.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:41:32 PM EDT
[#40]
I remember guys who followed the union advice and went on strike at Eastern Airlines. They told me they wished they had not listened to the union. They all ended up unemployed and with new jobs.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:41:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Anyone who puts all of their eggs in one basket is a tard. This isn't a union/non-union issue. Private pensions should be looked at as a supplement only.

Friend of mine who works in big tech was putting everything into company stock since it could be bought at a discount and was "completely safe." I sent her a few examples stock plummets in the industry and she decided to diversify a bit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Union superbros take notes.   You can not count on that employer funded retirement.  Contribute to your own plan like my rat bastard ass did.

Footage shared on TikTok shows one Yellow worker angrily shouting after learning his health care benefits and pension payments had ceased.

The worker, who is believed to be operating in Florida , says: 'It's the motherf******s up there, I worked my a** for this company. This is my money y'all are playing with. F*** this s***.'

Anyone who puts all of their eggs in one basket is a tard. This isn't a union/non-union issue. Private pensions should be looked at as a supplement only.

Friend of mine who works in big tech was putting everything into company stock since it could be bought at a discount and was "completely safe." I sent her a few examples stock plummets in the industry and she decided to diversify a bit.

Yes and no. I buy about $25k worth of my companies stock per year, every year as we get a 10% discount and it's the max I can buy.  It started at $100 per share..we closed Friday at $380..
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:42:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:43:13 PM EDT
[#43]
If their equipment is as old and poorly maintained as some in the know claim, would their assets even be worth the hassle of acquiring by a well run LTL like OD or Averitt?
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:43:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I’ll side with a CEO (or management) over a union employee every time.
View Quote

Management will violate contracts all day long if there isn’t a mechanism to spank their pee pee

I’m always dumbstruck by the evil things that corps will do
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:43:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

lol wut?

Dude, you’re clearly not in the trucking business.   Read my posts, or, well, continue to act like a boomer on the internet.

Sometimes businesses are.. just mismanaged. It happens.
View Quote

Stow the Boomer crap. You sound like a tard when you pull that out as you main talking point. Talk facts and tell me about the increases in operating and support costs and its effects on business.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:44:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Trump was president when all this shit started
View Quote

It was the Democrats who forced the shut down during the pandemic, not Trump.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:44:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
With the massive amount of shit that ships now how are they not killing it?
View Quote

Because the amount isn't as massive as it was during the pandemic...
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:47:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I just sent a 2lb package via UPS from the Los Angeles to New Jersey, and it was like $20.
View Quote

Laughs in VI Cargo.

These freight forwarding companies have you over a barrel with packages that sellers that only use UPS or FedEx.

You end using freight forwarding companies because UPS and FedEx charges international rates to the USVI.
And those rates are insane.

But it's a $17 minimum charge for any small box.

Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:47:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Yellow is saddled with some $1.5 billion in debt as of late March, including $729.2 million owed to the federal government for a controversial pandemic-era loan the Treasury Department extended on national security grounds in 2020.

Fuck em
View Quote

And don't think upper management isn't trying to play this entire clusterfluck to get the idiots in the federal government to ''forgive'' that loan.

I GUARANTEE it's been brought up, talked about, and different plans put forward to see what would work the best by upper management.

Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:48:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
10 to 1 they voted Democrat,
https://media.tenor.com/hbSs0wLygCUAAAAC/oh-well.gif
View Quote

When I was in the Teamsters they called my home phone and were trying to tell me which Democrat candidates to vote for.  So, when I told them that the voting booth was a private matter for all voters and that nobody tells me who to vote for, the guy hangs up one me.  A few minutes later the union VP calls me to ask what my problem was.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top