Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/26/2017 12:23:43 PM EDT
Here's GDs weekly Tacoma thread

I'm considering buying a '17 Tacoma. I've already used the NRA's and USAA's auto buying services to get pricing. I test drove a few different Tacomas a couple months back and my only real complaints were the lack of head room and the long bed seemed to be sluggish compared to the short bed when accelerating from a stop (not really that big of a deal since I am wanting a short bed).

I was browsing on TacomaWorld.com and there are a few references to the 2016-Present Tacomas as "Turd Generation" instead of 3rd Generation.  Anyways, tell me all the negatives about new Tacomas.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:26:33 PM EDT
[#1]
In for the shitstorm.  As a previous Turd gen owner, I can tell you it has problems from the rear end to the front of the block and all in between.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:33:55 PM EDT
[#2]
1st& 2nd gen FTMFW.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:36:06 PM EDT
[#3]
What all are the issues that are commonly found in this gen?  IIRC the tranny has issues, but didn't know about anything else.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:36:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Drive a 3G Tacoma, and then go drive a new Chevy Colorado.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:36:53 PM EDT
[#5]
2017 no problems here. 10k miles. My only complaint is the weird gear spacing in my manual. DCSB trd offroad.

My mom has a trd sport 17 that she's driven across the country with a camper and not have any issues either. Hers is also a manual.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:38:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What all are the issues that are commonly found in this gen?  IIRC the tranny has issues, but didn't know about anything else.
View Quote
There are a lot of issues that people are reporting, but the 2 biggies beyond the auto trans problems are the 1/4 million truck recalls due to leaking diffs where they dont have repair parts in stock, plus the recall on the CPS that leaves you randomly stranded.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:39:25 PM EDT
[#7]
"Turd Generation"...Does Toyota actually still use "TRD"?

ETA: Yep, apparently so. Even flaunt a "TRD Pro".
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:40:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Here's GDs weekly Tacoma thread

I'm considering buying a '17 Tacoma. I've already used the NRA's and USAA's auto buying services to get pricing. I test drove a few different Tacomas a couple months back and my only real complaints were the lack of head room and the long bed seemed to be sluggish compared to the short bed when accelerating from a stop (not really that big of a deal since I am wanting a short bed).

I was browsing on TacomaWorld.com and there are a few references to the 2016-Present Tacomas as "Turd Generation" instead of 3rd Generation.  Anyways, tell me all the negatives about new Tacomas.
View Quote

Wind noise, the trans hunting for the right gear...
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:42:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Chevy you say? Those Silverado's are compacts.

Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:42:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Poop thread
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:45:39 PM EDT
[#11]
My '16  3.5 doesn't have the beans or the solid feel of my '06 4.0.  To be fair, the 06 was a 6 speed manual and my new one is an auto.

I just received the recall on the rear diff .

I don't much care for the cartridge oil filter in a plastic housing  that is only accessible by dropping the skid plate, but it's not that difficult, just a pain in the ass.

And as I report in all these threads I snapped the plastic rear bumper crossing a wash the first time I took it off road.

I've only had the new one for a year and I don't hate it, but it's just not the same quality as my last one IMO.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:50:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a 16 trd sport its been fine I really enjoy driving it.  Drove from Colorado to Arizona with no issues and to St Louis with no issues.

The transmission issue was fixed with a computer reprogram.

I have had no other issues with it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:51:42 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote
Holy shit!
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:54:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There are a lot of issues that people are reporting, but the 2 biggies beyond the auto trans problems are the 1/4 million truck recalls due to leaking diffs where they dont have repair parts in stock, plus the recall on the CPS that leaves you randomly stranded.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ah the diff...forgot about that one.  CPS as in Crank Positioning Sensor?  Lulz...dealt that with that stupid thing on the last XJ I had.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:56:10 PM EDT
[#15]
A buddy of mine bought a 16 TRD off road and hasn't had any problems with it. FWIW, my 2015 TRD Off Road has been flawless.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 1:11:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been reading about the diff recall. Toyota fucked that up big time.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/toyota-recalling-228-000-tacomas-due-to-oil-leaks-and-possible-loss-of-control-of-vehicle.488536/page-155
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 1:11:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a '16.
My main complaints are the rear diff howl and the A/C.
They already replaced my rear diff and it's back just as loud as it was before.
The A/C, first it has no true low setting.  I should be able to turn it down to a trickle of air.  Nope, even when I turn it off there is a lot of air coming in at highway speeds.  Second, the temps from 60-70 pretty much all feel identical, even though you can adjust 1 degree at a time.

The funky shift pattern was a problem, but they did a software update and it's a lot better now.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 1:13:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Holy shit!
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 1:20:31 PM EDT
[#19]
But resale value!
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 1:24:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I heard on here that they get like 25mpg.  

I have nothing of any value to add though.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 1:24:44 PM EDT
[#21]
I test drove the "latest greatest" TRD Pro and was not impressed.
My 2011 Nissan Pro-4X actually has more power and torque.
I test drove the new Colorado V6 Z-71, way better.
Sorry Toyota, you are losing sales to the GM twins but you had a good run.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 1:28:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
2017 no problems here. 10k miles. My only complaint is the weird gear spacing in my manual. DCSB trd offroad.

My mom has a trd sport 17 that she's driven across the country with a camper and not have any issues either. Hers is also a manual.
View Quote
Yeah the gap between 3-4th makes it hard to get into 5th early, and 6th is darn near 5th.  I put one of those pedal; commander deals on mine and it helped with the throttle by wire deal.

So far no issues with my truck, but kinda wished I had bought the 4runner.  I already have a 2nd gen taco so I might sell off my TRD manual tranny sport 4x4 and go with the last year of the 4.0 4runner.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 1:38:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yeah the gap between 3-4th makes it hard to get into 5th early, and 6th is darn near 5th.  I put one of those pedal; commander deals on mine and it helped with the throttle by wire deal.

So far no issues with my truck, but kinda wished I had bought the 4runner.  I already have a 2nd gen taco so I might sell off my TRD manual tranny sport 4x4 and go with the last year of the 4.0 4runner.
View Quote
To me the biggest gear issue is the gap between 1st and 2nd. 1 is low which is fine but 2nd gear is a little too high.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 2:02:09 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a third gen, haven't had any problems.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 2:02:29 PM EDT
[#25]
They are fine. I have an early production 16 TRDOR and haven't had any "issues" that most seem to have.

Sure the tranny sucks some times, but it was tuned for MPG so it's going to get into 6th gear as quickly as possible. There is a guy selling a controller box which works great (I have one and know) and really helps with the gear hunting on the highway.

Don't listen to the BS on Tacoma World. It's just a bunch of the same 5 guys constantly bitching in every thread about their transmission.

You can go ahead and ignore @GreenBastard as well, he will be here soon to bitch and complain about the one he had.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 2:10:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nope. Fuelly reports the average is 19MPG.
Less than 1% get 24mpg or better. You'd be more likely to get 16 or 17 mpg.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 2:12:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
My Gen2 gets 17MPG on average.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 2:18:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

To me the biggest gear issue is the gap between 1st and 2nd. 1 is low which is fine but 2nd gear is a little too high.
View Quote
Agree completely. My only complaint with my truck.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 2:24:35 PM EDT
[#29]
I'll keep my Gen 2 thanks
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 2:26:35 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm keeping my 2015 2nd gen forever , awesome truck
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 2:29:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Pickup FTW
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 2:34:06 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote
Prob killed by the Takata air bag.

Seriously.......that's terrible.     :(
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 2:34:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Plastic fake rear bumper
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 2:42:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Happy to report 36 problem free miles

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Pickup FTW
View Quote
Retired a basic 1993 Pickup last Winter.  Terrific small truck that did everything I needed a truck to do.
Replaced it with a 2016 GMC Canyon.  Nice truck, but much more powerful and decked out.  And big.

Nothing out there if you're looking for a small/compact truck.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 2:58:10 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote
I found you.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 3:20:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
When I drove mostly city I averaged 18mpg. Now my commute is 40mi one way all highway and I get 21mpg (I drive at 75-80mph).
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 3:43:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

When I drove mostly city I averaged 18mpg. Now my commute is 40mi one way all highway and I get 21mpg (I drive at 75-80mph).
View Quote
I would believe that.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 3:44:43 PM EDT
[#39]
I love my 17 tacoma. It's got close to 10k miles now. Only issue I've had so far is the wind noise, I've took it in a few times and they put seals on the control arm and some vacuum hoses to help with the wind. My last oil change the manager did say they was having rust issues on the frame again. So that may be a recall again in the future.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 3:51:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

My Gen2 gets 17MPG on average.
View Quote
I have a 6-speed and I think I get around 16mpg, but I have some heavy tires and a cap-topper. I stopped calculating my mileage after it got depressing.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 3:57:11 PM EDT
[#41]
My 09 TRD Sport DCLB hit 304,000 miles today. May have to replace it in the next year or two (salt corrosion). Debating Tundra or Tacoma, either would be a 14-15
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 3:59:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Which is why when I traded in my 08 taco I went with the tundra.  17 mpg in the mountains driving like the grandpa I am and the difference in rigs is like night and day. Taco is overrated for the money..
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 4:04:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I have a 6-speed and I think I get around 16mpg, but I have some heavy tires and a cap-topper. I stopped calculating my mileage after it got depressing.  
View Quote
Once the factory Wrangles wear out in the next 10k miles I'm going to throw on some 255/85/16 S/T Maxx's...hopefully my MPG goes decrease by too much
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 4:05:07 PM EDT
[#44]
I have a 16 TRD OFFROAD manual and I have had 0 problems from mine. Mileage depends a lot on how you drive it I have gotten 23mpg on a 400 mile trip running 75-80 and 19 on the same trip when I needed to hurry a little more! It tows my camper just fine although I do agree 2nd needs to be a little closer spaced and 6th needs to be a little higher. I haven't had any issues with my rear bumper or rear end but I did get a howl from the lca in a cross wind once. The dealership plugged the lca holes and not heard it since! My BIL has a 16 Colarodo and has had it back 3-4 times for problems he has had an alternator replaced and the intake resealed 2 times.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 4:05:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Other than a melting blower motor connector, my '14er Taco has been trouble free through 97k miles.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 4:11:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
My '16  3.5 doesn't have the beans or the solid feel of my '06 4.0.  To be fair, the 06 was a 6 speed manual and my new one is an auto.

I just received the recall on the rear diff .

I don't much care for the cartridge oil filter in a plastic housing  that is only accessible by dropping the skid plate, but it's not that difficult, just a pain in the ass.

And as I report in all these threads I snapped the plastic rear bumper crossing a wash the first time I took it off road.

I've only had the new one for a year and I don't hate it, but it's just not the same quality as my last one IMO.
View Quote
I wouldn't mind having a cartridge filter - but only if it's easy to get to.

The thing I primarily dislike about the Tacos is the wishy-washy frame and suspension.   They sacrifice utility for comfort when empty.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 5:19:05 PM EDT
[#47]
I went and test drove a new Tacoma on Monday.  The manual transmission was awful
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 5:24:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
They are fine. I have an early production 16 TRDOR and haven't had any "issues" that most seem to have.

Sure the tranny sucks some times, but it was tuned for MPG so it's going to get into 6th gear as quickly as possible. There is a guy selling a controller box which works great (I have one and know) and really helps with the gear hunting on the highway.

Don't listen to the BS on Tacoma World. It's just a bunch of the same 5 guys constantly bitching in every thread about their transmission.

You can go ahead and ignore @GreenBastard as well, he will be here soon to bitch and complain about the one he had.
View Quote
The transmission sucks, the engine has a habit of burning oil, they may or may not have actually tightened the differential plugs at the factory, the 19th century leaf springs on the back are prone to squeaking, and it has drums in the rear like a shitbox from the Carter administration. I'm sure I'm leaving something out.

Oh yes, it's priced more than certain full-size trucks.

But for all that money you get a sticker that says TRD, so you know it's an off-road performer.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know.  I was just messing with the guy from South Carolina who posts pictures of his mileage computer in most Tacoma threads.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 6:11:16 PM EDT
[#50]
I've got an 04 Taco that's mechanically sound with 155k miles. Probably going to look into upgrading to a 16 or 17 in the next six months. I want something slightly larger and with some creature comforts. Looks like I need to do some reading.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top