BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 10:17:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Well then!!!  

Does the launch crew know what the target(s) are?
View Quote
Maybe.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 10:22:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Nobody's asked me a question yet.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In b4 dinner recipe
What are your thoughts on the WOPR?
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 10:53:51 AM EDT
[#3]
how loud is the actual launch from the bunker?
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 11:14:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
IP address and credentials for SSH to launch console?
PM is fine.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 11:24:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Is this the one in Sahuarita AZ?  I took that tour last November.  Very cool.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 11:32:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I was a BMAT on a launch crew at Davis Monthan in the early 70's.  The crews were not supposed to know the targets.  One time however, our crew was assigned to load new target tapes.  Our crew commander was told that the primary target on the new tapes was an air force base outside of Moscow (the Soviet equivalent of Andrews AFB in DC).  So for about a year we knew who we would be nuking.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 11:39:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was a BMAT on a launch crew at Davis Monthan in the early 70's.  The crews were not supposed to know the targets.  One time however, our crew was assigned to load new target tapes.  Our crew commander was told that the primary target on the new tapes was an air force base outside of Moscow (the Soviet equivalent of Andrews AFB in DC).  So for about a year we knew who we would be nuking.
View Quote
How long is the training for that job?
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 11:40:19 AM EDT
[#8]
OP thanks for sharing that video with us.  I worked Titans, Minuteman, and Peacekeepers so for me this video really takes me back.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 11:44:39 AM EDT
[#9]
We've been discussing the psychological requirements of someone who will program a launch (2 hours-2days?)from now ("depending on the war plans of the Pentagon") and then turn the key....3,2,1,turn.

The on going Psych testing/monitoring program for these crews must be incredible.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 11:49:04 AM EDT
[#10]
The one just South of Tucson, AZ is fairly close to me. I found it pretty fun, a look back to the cold war.

Here's the key turning process in AZ
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 11:50:46 AM EDT
[#11]
9 months tech school Sheppard AFB, 6 Weeks Operational Readiness Training (simulator) Vandenburg AFB, then whatever time it takes to assign you to a combat crew at your duty base.  I entered the AirForce in October 70 and went on combat status in January 72.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 11:51:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In b4 dinner recipe
I know in the video that the keys have to be turned within 2 seconds of each other. What happens if that's not met? System just ignores it or system lock down?
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 11:55:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Those chairs comfortable?
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 12:00:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I was just at the Titan museum last week.   Well worth the $10 admission fee.  Our guide was a female ex-commander of the site.  The walk-through of the launch sequence was impressive.  Gravitas in spades.

She told us the crews were not informed where the missile was targeted but could guess the general type of target by whether the warhead was set for airburst or ground detonation.  Airburst was set for 14000 feet.  With 9MT that's a city destroyer.  The ground detonation setting was more likely for hardened military or infrastructure targets.The missile at the museum was set for a ground detonation.

The missile currently in the tube was an unused training missile that had never been fueled.  The fuels used were hypergolic and dangerous to handle.  They had fully sealed hazmat suits with helmets and air tanks to handle refueling and other missile maintenance details.

The silo door is partially open so you can look down on the missile.  There is a window cut into the heat shield of the RV so the Russians can verify it does not have a W53 installed.

As far as military museums go, it was one of the tightest, best preserved I have been to.  Plenty of other stuff to do in the Tucson area (including Pima Air & Space Museum), so well worth the trip.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 12:02:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
how loud is the actual launch from the bunker?
View Quote
In Titan, I was told you couldn't hear a thing.  There's a LOT of concrete and dirt between the tube and the LCC.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 12:06:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

PM is fine.
View Quote
Bourbon cream mushroom sauce (great with steaks)

3 cups of sliced baby portobello mushrooms
8 garlic cloves minced
2 tablespoons butter
4 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
1/4 cup Bourbon liquor
1/2 tablespoon Bourbon liquor
1 cup heavy cream
Olive Oil
1 tablespoon dry white wine
Salt
Black Pepper

Instructions

Heat about two tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan (use medium high heat).
Once the olive oil has heated, add the sliced mushrooms to the pan. Cook the mushrooms for about five minutes. Once you cook the mushrooms, drain the mushrooms, and set the mushrooms aside.
In a pan, heat the butter and about one tablespoon of olive oil in a pan on medium heat.
Add the garlic and sage to the heated olive oil and butter. Cook the garlic and sage for about one minute.
Add the heavy cream, mushrooms, and bourbon to the garlic sage mixture.
Cook the cream sauce for about five minutes on medium heat or until the sauce reduces to half the amount.
Add the 1/2 tablespoon of Bourbon and the 1 tablespoon of white wine to the sauce.
Salt and pepper the cream sauce to taste. Set the sauce aside.
Cook steaks to desired doneness. Let the steaks rest a few minutes after cooking to allow the juices to stay in the meat so that steaks stay juicy.
Top the steaks with the cream sauce before serving.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 12:11:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
In Minuteman you could print out the target case, it would tell you where the targets were.  It was  a pain in the ass because the printout is now TS/SIOP, and you had to control it accordingly.  But especially when we were doing target case input (one of the main advantages to MMIII over II was that you could remotely retarget it), you could plot the lat/long on a map and see roughly where it was going.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 12:15:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
There's been an ass in that seat 24x7 for literally decades, with the accompanying number of farts that timeline suggests.

So, no.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 1:12:52 PM EDT
[#19]
What is the selection process like to become a launch crew member-if you can tell us?
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 1:24:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Listen to the video in the OP at 5:45.....

It's an ARFCOM thing!!!!!

Link Posted: 5/6/2019 1:35:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
There's been an ass in that seat 24x7 for literally decades, with the accompanying number of farts that timeline suggests.

So, no.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, no.  
Not to mention peaces of grease pencil, well at least in the trainers.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 2:50:42 PM EDT
[#22]
I used to work TCC out of F.E. Warren back in 86-88. Coordinated all the crews and maintenance and crew comings and goings in the field. As well as weapons movements. It was fun but dam serious. The best part was when some new missile jock would come get there vehicle from us. Older missile jocks never messed with us. And when a fresh missile jock would give us a hard time. We always got our payback. We knew all the dead zones were. The missile jocks had to radio us every so often. If they failed to radio even though we knew they had to pass through the dead zone. We would give the security forces a call. They were always bored. And they loved to jack them officers up. Put them on the ground. We would get a play by play from them.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 3:42:48 PM EDT
[#23]
87 inches apart and spring loaded.

My Grabber scoffs at your ability to prevent me from launching the missile single handed.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 5:57:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
87 inches apart and spring loaded.

My Grabber scoffs at your ability to prevent me from launching the missile single handed.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/81561/The__Grabber_jpg-936547.JPG
View Quote
All it takes is a pencil and about 10 feet of some type of cord. It's been done in a modernize minuteman trainer. Yep been there and done that.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 6:02:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What is the selection process like to become a launch crew member-if you can tell us?
View Quote
98.6.  Preferably Fahrenheit.

Fog a mirror.

Have most of your teeth and other organs.

Have not had too many dreams of sleeping with your mother.

No drugs, no arrests, no Florida Man adventures in your past.

Seriously.  It's a standard Class III flight physical and a TS/SBI investigation.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 6:07:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

So, no.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, no.  
My last deployment I had two different pilots write up seat cushions for being work out of limits.  For the life of me I couldn’t find the limits in the tech data.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 6:11:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

PM is fine.
View Quote

Plus everyone knows the real key is war dialing until you get NORAD’s computer to answer.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 6:16:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Fog a mirror.

Have most of your teeth and other organs.?

Seriously.  It's a standard Class III flight physical and a TS/SBI investigation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fog a mirror.

Would a brain be one of the required organs or is it optional?
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 6:19:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fog a mirror.

I suppose that, eyes, and a few fingers.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 6:23:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Fog a mirror.

Have most of your teeth and other organs.

View Quote
I would have thought it was way more than that.

I'm thinking people join the Air Force to fly fighter planes and the selection process for those slots seem to be pretty competitive from what guys here have said.

Are there men and women who meet the above requirements who want to sit in a sterile room for ungodly numbers of hours in uncomfortable chairs that smell like old farts.......waiting for orders to launch missiles?  Do people enlist with an open slot for Missile Crew?  Is there some kind of test that you guys took that determines you were particularly suited to sit underground for long periods of time bored to death with megatonage a couple of minutes away?
Maybe it was your advanced knowledge of cooking?  
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 6:28:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The two key slots are separated by 87 inches.  Too funny.
View Quote
Soooo... that's where it comes from.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 6:47:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Wish I'd known about it when I lived in Tucson.

@limaxray

I've read that the Minuteman control complexes were vulnerable to destruction from direct hits by  Soviet ICBM warheads. If so, were the heavy doors and such more for security, or were they built when it was thought the Soviets were only capable of getting in the ballpark?
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 6:56:07 PM EDT
[#33]
I need to take the AZ tour one of these days. I was in the complex many times when it was operational.  I was IRCS and RTMN.

Had to replace many lenses on the ACK switches due to the Rube Goldberg arrangements the crew used to press the button w/o moving.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 6:57:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
According to my logbook, I did 15 alerts there in the early 1990s.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
According to my logbook, I did 15 alerts there in the early 1990s.  

Link Posted: 5/6/2019 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#35]
I believe there is one in South Dakota also.  I know there is a Minute man trainer in Ellsworth.  Minuteman visitors center between Wall and Kadoka SD,  there is also a silo that is viewable.   I have not been to the visitors center,  but there looks to be some cool stuff on display there.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 7:10:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Yeah, that's MIMI, I got distracted and didn't post it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 7:12:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Wish I'd known about it when I lived in Tucson.

@limaxray

I've read that the Minuteman control complexes were vulnerable to destruction from direct hits by  Soviet ICBM warheads. If so, were the heavy doors and such more for security, or were they built when it was thought the Soviets were only capable of getting in the ballpark?
View Quote
Lots of difference in accuracy and capability between 1962 (when the first Minuteman site was operational) and even 10 years later.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 7:19:41 PM EDT
[#38]
I am gonna need one hell of a tax stamp for this baby!!!!

Link Posted: 5/6/2019 7:20:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Yeah, that's MIMI, I got distracted and didn't post it.
View Quote
SAC museum Ashland Ne.  

Link Posted: 5/6/2019 7:25:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Stafford museum Weatherford OK.

Awesome museum,  Has a little of everything Air force and NASA in it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/6/2019 7:27:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Bourbon cream mushroom sauce (great with steaks)

3 cups of sliced baby portobello mushrooms
8 garlic cloves minced
2 tablespoons butter
4 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
1/4 cup Bourbon liquor
1/2 tablespoon Bourbon liquor
1 cup heavy cream
Olive Oil
1 tablespoon dry white wine
Salt
Black Pepper

Instructions

Heat about two tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan (use medium high heat).
Once the olive oil has heated, add the sliced mushrooms to the pan. Cook the mushrooms for about five minutes. Once you cook the mushrooms, drain the mushrooms, and set the mushrooms aside.
In a pan, heat the butter and about one tablespoon of olive oil in a pan on medium heat.
Add the garlic and sage to the heated olive oil and butter. Cook the garlic and sage for about one minute.
Add the heavy cream, mushrooms, and bourbon to the garlic sage mixture.
Cook the cream sauce for about five minutes on medium heat or until the sauce reduces to half the amount.
Add the 1/2 tablespoon of Bourbon and the 1 tablespoon of white wine to the sauce.
Salt and pepper the cream sauce to taste. Set the sauce aside.
Cook steaks to desired doneness. Let the steaks rest a few minutes after cooking to allow the juices to stay in the meat so that steaks stay juicy.
Top the steaks with the cream sauce before serving.
View Quote
Excellent.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 7:30:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Here's what goes in those nose cones: (W53 9MT package)

Up to 9 Megs of Pure, Ultra Refined Sunshine,
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 7:34:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
What's the gain on that antenna?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really enjoyed his videos.

I really want to go take that tour some day. Also would love to take a radio and hook up to their giant HF discone antenna.

https://i.redd.it/9tlm3dr0smt21.jpg
It's unity gain but it's a broadbanded SOB. It's on my list of "places I want to operate from" list.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 7:42:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It's unity gain but it's a broadbanded SOB. It's on my list of "places I want to operate from" list.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really enjoyed his videos.

I really want to go take that tour some day. Also would love to take a radio and hook up to their giant HF discone antenna.

https://i.redd.it/9tlm3dr0smt21.jpg
Titan Missile Museum Operating
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 7:44:39 PM EDT
[#45]
The boy and I did a tour there south of DM a couple years ago. He got to swing the blast door by himself, which was something like 3000 lbs iirc. Not bad for a 9 year old
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 7:46:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
How many bathrooms did they have underground?

If there was only one, what if you both had the Taco Surprise and needed to go?

Is there a red phone (or whatever the important one is) in the bathroom?

If there are two bathrooms, are there remote keys in each?

Are there seatbelts and harnesses on the dumpers like the fancy console seats?

Do they have shovels down there to dig out after a global thermonuclear exchange?

Did HQ have cameras to monitor missile officers remotely?

Were the cameras good enough to tell if they were real officers or inflatable ones?

Were pets allowed?
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 8:31:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Daughter served 25 years in the Air Force and 8 of them were in a Titan II Missile Silo. Use to ask her lots of questions back then and the standard answer was I can't tell you dad.

When she got in the program we were visited by Goverenment agents and asked lots of questions. The agents went around to the neighbors and the schools she went too.

I was asking her some things just lately and she told me that she had read that she was one of 46 women that served in the Titan Missile program.

Nobody has stated that all crew members were armed with revolers.  The crew consisted 2 on duty while 2 would sleep.

Hoping some day we could go together and tour the silo.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 8:34:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Daughter served 25 years in the Air Force and 8 of them were in a Titan II Missile Silo. Use to ask her lots of questions back then and the standard answer was I can't tell you dad.

When she got in the program we were visited by Goverenment agents and asked lots of questions. The agents went around to the neighbors and the schools she went too.

I was asking her some things just lately and she told me that she had read that she was only one of 46 women that served in the Titan Missile program.

Nobody has stated that all crew members were armed with revolers.  The crew consisted 2 on duty while 2 would sleep.

Hoping some day we could go together and tour the silo.
View Quote
That's pretty cool!

That would be a fun trip for the two of you. Hope you get to do that!
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 8:52:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Back in the early 80's, a friend and myself did a self-guided tour of a missile silo on the north side of Chico.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 8:56:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

SAC museum Ashland Ne.  
View Quote
Well, that's disappointing.

In 2000, I went back up to Grand Forks with a couple of fellow missileers to help disassemble on of the missile simulators there, box it up with a bunch of other stuff, and have it sent to the SAC museum for reassembly as a display.

After 19 years, they dragged the consoles out of a box with an entire full-fidelity simulator...and stacked them against a wall.  
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top