User Panel

Page / 16
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:35:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
M8 AGS comeback tour?
View Quote

Might be, it ran against the Stryker during trials or whatever.

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:38:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I think I've seen that on an internet video.  Shouldn't be a big deal to put a turret on a Toyota and just use it...
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:43:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:45:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Spain did something like that (at least for indirect fire):
http://www.warwheels.net/images/M274mule120mmMortarSpainHaugh%20(1).jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Question for the Airborne types.  Do we really need a 'light tank' or are you really looking for a highly portable heavy weapon (that can do AT/Anti-bunker/knock down walls)?

http://www.williammaloney.com/Aviation/AAFTankMuseum/SelfPropelledGuns/Mule106mmRecoillessGun/images/Mule106mmRecoillessGun.jpg
Mule with a 106, air-droppable - lots of bang; of course other weapons could be mounted.

Like a TOW (or better yet why not a Hellfire?)
http://www.transchool.lee.army.mil/museum/transportation%20museum/images/mule4.gif

I think something like that with a developed shorter range/low pressure mortar capable of direct and indirect fires would be pretty well rounded.

Spain did something like that (at least for indirect fire):
http://www.warwheels.net/images/M274mule120mmMortarSpainHaugh%20(1).jpg

Those look like four deuce.  That's a serious pocket artillery right there.  Of course you might be able to have a better result with a towed 120 behind a badass ATV/4 wheeler.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:48:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was thinking (after looking at the S-Tank) if an armored vehicle is needed, is the turret really required?  I've seen figures where the turret is upwards of 30% of the weight of vehicle.

Now you'll lose shoot-on-the-move capability, but the armor could be better and it would be lower profile.

Kind of an S-Tank light, perhaps with a crew of 2?

It would required changes in the way crew(s) do business, but I'd think it would be more survivable than the M8.

View Quote

SIMPSON'S DID IT
ASU-57

ASU-85

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:53:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Can you retro fit a large bore onto an MRAP?  I hear they are free.
View Quote

Nick
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:54:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yeah - remember those huge victory parades we had in Hanoi and Pyongyang?

Neither do I ....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Armor is dumb. Javelins and really angry paratroopers are the solution to any problem you can come up with.

As long as that enemy hasn't mastered tube artillery. Which is in fact every Soviet template adversary in the solar system.

The soviet model has proved itself oh so effective against the us model...

Neither do I ....

Shockingly martial idealogies predicated on the principle of killing mass amounts of people are more effective then martial idealogies based on getting people to like you.

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:06:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Some folks bring up the TOW missile system or Recoiless Rifles as all that's needed to defeat heavy armor for ground units that enter the fight via airborne ops.  This is a flawed assumption.

The TOW has severe tactical limitations.  While it has a range of 3,750 meters, that's well within the range of the main gun of an MBT.  A TOW gunner has to track his target during the entire flight of the missile, and he's very vulnerable to fire from the target after he launches that missile.  He's completely exposed, and if the crew of that tank is paying attention, they'll see the back blast from the missile launch when it leaves the tube.  It's very easy to "ground" the missile from a flinch or something that causes you to over steer the missile one way or the other.  The missile is VERY sensitive to movement by the gunner.  The furthest out I've fired a TOW missile at was over 2,800 meters (training), and it took every ounce of concentration I had to hit the truck-an old "deuce and a half"-I was aiming at.  

Try doing that in combat, under fire.

A battalion commander once told me that when you use your TOW assets, consider them gone.  Once the enemy detects them, they're very easy to kill off.  The TOW was developed specifically to give U.S. and NATO forces the ability to defend West Germany against the numerical superiority of Soviet armor against a smaller number of NATO defenders.  There's nothing "offensive" about it.  

A recoiless rifle has all the significant firing "signature" liabilities of the TOW (if not worse), without the top attack capability that the TOW offers.  They're simply outdated for taking on modern armor, although it would be much cheaper than using a Javelin for non-armor targets.

A light tank would offer the airborne at least some offensive capability.  Tanks offer mobility, firepower, and armor protection in ways no other weapon system can.  Tracked vehicles can carry more armor than wheeled types, and can maneuver in terrain that wheeled vehicles cannot.  I was told by a captain years ago that during our initial operations in Afghanistan, USMC units using LAVs were wearing out tires so often that this condition dictated LOAs, while CH-53s were flying in replacement tires as quickly as they were being worn out.  A Lt Col. John Long (U.S. Army) that was TAD from TACOM told me while we were both at Ft. Knox in 2003, that a requirement for a 30-ton tank grew out of the Marine Corps's experiences there in the early phase of OEF.

The Army has wanted a light tank since before the M551 was retired.  They've been hobbling along without one for all these years, but they need a light tank.  Whether they can procure one on a timely basis is a completely different question.      

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:06:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Shockingly martial idealogies predicated on the principle of killing mass amounts of people are more effective then martial idealogies based on getting people to like you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Armor is dumb. Javelins and really angry paratroopers are the solution to any problem you can come up with.

As long as that enemy hasn't mastered tube artillery. Which is in fact every Soviet template adversary in the solar system.

The soviet model has proved itself oh so effective against the us model...

Neither do I ....

Sorry for quote tree, I'm on my phone.  That last quote is sig line worthy.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:10:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not Javelins.  Plus some Sov tanks can fire indirect fire, like ours used to.  Plus modern Sov tanks have gun launched ATGMs that have 4 - 5 km ranges.  Tanks are soclial critters - they come in packs, with friends.  So say you take one out at 4 km with a TOW - what do you think the reaction of the rest of the tank company will be?  Do you suppose they might take some action to discourage asecond shot?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

...until those tanks stand off just outside javelin range and start peppering your postition with HE ....

I was under the impression modern ATGMs had superior standoff to tank guns.

Not Javelins.  Plus some Sov tanks can fire indirect fire, like ours used to.  Plus modern Sov tanks have gun launched ATGMs that have 4 - 5 km ranges.  Tanks are soclial critters - they come in packs, with friends.  So say you take one out at 4 km with a TOW - what do you think the reaction of the rest of the tank company will be?  Do you suppose they might take some action to discourage asecond shot?

A 'light tank', that will at best have some protection against 25/30mm rounds, from the front only, is not going to fair any better.

Based on the aritcle...
Even though tanks are tracked vehicles, the Army is open to wheeled alternatives. The vehicle has to be air droppable, must have enough ballistic protection against 14.5 mm and .50 caliber rounds, and be able to drive off road.

...they are only looking for protection from heavy mg's.

A 'light tank' used in the anti-tank role, had better not be up against a group of T-72's that have anything close to a modern FCS.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:10:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:18:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

...they are only looking for protection from heavy mg's.

A 'light tank' used in the anti-tank role, had better not be up against a group of T-72's that have anything close to a modern FCS.
View Quote

You all seem to be missing the point. Airborne tanks work in close concert with their supporting infantry. In fact, they exist to support the infantry. They are for mobile fire support. If the infantry runs into a platoon of T72's, they have multiple assets to dispatch them, for example Javelin, TOW, and then the light tank. A light tank also brings a number of sensors into the fight in terms of FLIR and such. A light tank or two should not be taking on a platoon of tanks by itself. It will lose that fight, but that's why we have tactics, to mitigate these factors. In the military we do not fight one on one unless something has gone horrifically wrong.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:20:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:29:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Very true.  Hellfires work even better..

Also true, however sending in an Airborne force against an Armored Division is stupid - even with light tanks.   Using Airborne against less armored targets - or to secure a location (say an airfield so you can bring in the heavier forces) then do you really need a tank - just the heavy weapons to defeat enemy forces?  If a tank is seen as a requirement wouldn't a model designed for defense of a location be better suited than a much lighter version of a MBT?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some folks bring up the TOW missile system or Recoiless Rifles as all that's needed to defeat heavy armor for ground units that enter the fight via airborne ops.  This is a flawed assumption.

The TOW has severe tactical limitations.  While it has a range of 3,750 meters, that's well within the range of the main gun of an MBT.  A TOW gunner has to track his target during the entire flight of the missile, and he's very vulnerable to fire from the target after he launches that missile.  He's completely exposed, and if the crew of that tank is paying attention, they'll see the back blast from the missile launch when it leaves the tube.  It's very easy to "ground" the missile from a flinch or something that causes you to over steer the missile one way or the other.  The missile is VERY sensitive to movement by the gunner.  The furthest out I've fired a TOW missile at was over 2,800 meters (training), and it took every ounce of concentration I had to hit the truck-an old "deuce and a half"-I was aiming at.  

Very true.  Hellfires work even better..

A light tank would offer the airborne at least some offensive capability.  Tanks offer mobility, firepower, and armor protection in ways no other weapon system can.

Also true, however sending in an Airborne force against an Armored Division is stupid - even with light tanks.   Using Airborne against less armored targets - or to secure a location (say an airfield so you can bring in the heavier forces) then do you really need a tank - just the heavy weapons to defeat enemy forces?  If a tank is seen as a requirement wouldn't a model designed for defense of a location be better suited than a much lighter version of a MBT?

*There is a reason that non turreted assault guns fell out of favor. Turreted armor gives you flexibility and situational awareness that you lack in a casemate platform. If I am in a situation where I know I'm surrounded, which is pretty much expected for an air dropped force, I want the ability to quickly get on target.

As far as offensive capability, light tanks also give you a bit of an extra edge when counter attacking.

*Except for this, because 2 120mm cannons really say fuck you with authority.

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:35:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:37:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I see your point about situational awareness - but couldn't that be solved with a sensor suite/cameras on the outside or in a swivelable pod?  

Yeah it will be slower on target.  That's the trade-off - more armor, lower profile - with a slower time to switch targets.

Another options - stick with the S Tank type vehicle - but put the gun (or Hellfire pod ) on a small, remote controlled, very lightly armored turret (like the MGS or the Samson system)?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

*There is a reason that non turreted assault guns fell out of favor. Turreted armor gives you flexibility and situational awareness that you lack in a casemate platform. If I am in a situation where I know I'm surrounded, which is pretty much expected for an air dropped force, I want the ability to quickly get on target.

As far as offensive capability, light tanks also give you a bit of an extra edge when counter attacking.

*Except for this, because 2 120mm cannons really say fuck you with authority.

http://www.abload.de/img/vt-1-2120mm01sas6c.jpg

I see your point about situational awareness - but couldn't that be solved with a sensor suite/cameras on the outside or in a swivelable pod?  

Yeah it will be slower on target.  That's the trade-off - more armor, lower profile - with a slower time to switch targets.

Another options - stick with the S Tank type vehicle - but put the gun (or Hellfire pod ) on a small, remote controlled, very lightly armored turret (like the MGS or the Samson system)?

Like this?

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:37:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Bundeswehr's little Wiesel strikes me as a neat little tank.  20mm turret, antitank missiles, even an air defense and mortar version.  Of course, it wasn't built here, so they'd NEVER buy it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:38:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Bundeswehr's little Wiesel strikes me as a neat little tank.  20mm turret, antitank missiles, even an air defense and mortar version.  Of course, it wasn't built here, so they'd NEVER buy it.
View Quote

Tracks do not a tank make. The Wiesel is not a light tank. More of a tracked armored weapons carrier than anything else. Also don't think it meets the protection threshold.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:39:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:41:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:44:59 AM EDT
[#21]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

M113 air droppable fucking GAVIN!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7253/7116054575_60b0213493_z.jpg

Looks like a stuart turret stuck on a 113 chasis.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:45:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Same idea.  What is it?
View All Quotes

The Rapid Deployment/Light Tank was developed by AAI Corporation to meet a specification requested by the US Army in 1980. The first RDF/LT shown in the brochure was fitted with a high velocity 76mm cannon similar to the one fitted to the M-41 Walker Bulldog. The nexts version was fitted with an AAI developed cannon that fired caseless telescoping 75mm rounds that could be fired in burst and had an extreme elevation for engaging slow moving aircraft or helicopters. AAI claimed that 75mm cannon could defeat modern main battle tanks by hitting them with a five round burst in the same area of the armor. Three versions of the RDF/LT with the ultra modern full auto 75mm cannon were developed. The first two color photo shows the first model. It had a crew of three with one in the hull and two in the turret. The second version had only a crew of two with both in the hull and the turret unmanned. The last version was a combined antiarmor and antiair fitted with two pods that carried four Stinger missiles each. The RDF/LT was never seriously considered by the US Army because they wanted any so called "light tank" to mount the same cannon as was fitted to most modern main battle tanks.

http://www.army-guide.com/eng/product4488.html
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:48:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Throw on L55 tubes, optimize FCS for said tubes. Problem solved. From what I hear, your tankers love their M1's. The no DU thing is retarded, I get the crying about the ammo to an extent, but the armor package? Talk about stupid...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You realize of course, they were neutered on request of your government. Australia was one of only countries offered the full package Abrams.
I know that.  They were neutered because DU is still uranium, so all the lefites chucked a shit.  Same reason why we don't use DU rounds.  Either way, they have been neutered and do not use the same rounds as the US, so it makes much more sense to use something that was optimised for tungsten.

Throw on L55 tubes, optimize FCS for said tubes. Problem solved. From what I hear, your tankers love their M1's. The no DU thing is retarded, I get the crying about the ammo to an extent, but the armor package? Talk about stupid...

BINGO.... Tube change takes 30 mins and add a sub des for the CCP for the rd. All good. Caliber change does not require a vehical change
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:48:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

M113 air droppable fucking GAVIN!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7253/7116054575_60b0213493_z.jpg

Australian FSV (Fire Support Vehicle)
They took old Saladin armored car turrets and mounted them on M113's for mobile fire support. They were used in Vietnam. They stuck with the concept upgrading them later with Scorpion light tank turrets and renaming them MRV's. (Medium Reconnaissance Vehicle)

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:51:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Would that not work?  Especially if an active defense system were added?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tracks do not a tank make. The Wiesel is not a light tank. More of a tracked armored weapons carrier than anything else. Also don't think it meets the protection threshold.

Active Defense doesn't defeat 14.5mm rounds. It also only carries auto cannon or missiles. The biggest asset to a light tank IMHO is a regular good old fashioned cannon/gun system. That thing is too small to handle anything over what it currently has. There is something to be said for a low cost, direct fire gun.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:52:29 AM EDT
[#26]
You can kill a 5 million dollar MBT with a 150,000 dollar Javelin, that a single company of Light Infantry carry upwards ot 10-15 of them.
The days of Tanks being the ultimate ground killing machine are over.

OPFOR commanders at JRTC and NTC have all said their biggest fears on the battlefield was a squad of guys sneaking around with Javelins then a company of M1 Abrams.

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:52:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Mobile GAU-8/A Chassis.
View Quote

They actually made one.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:53:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You can kill a 5 million dollar MBT with a 150,000 dollar Javelin.

View Quote

They said that in 1973, they were wrong then too.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:56:52 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They aren't wrong, nothing on steel treads can survive a top attack from a Jav.

And as I added on earlier. When we got to be attached to JRTC OPFOR, their commander said his biggest worry on the battlefield of all the weapon systems the army brings in. The squad running around with Javelins was his biggest headache.

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 10:01:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Your infantry with javs will get some kills, but in open terrain they are going to be brutally coaxed and then run over.

Smoke screens, 40 MPH armored assaults across open desert or the fulda gap isn't going to be stopped by infantry with javelins.
that only works in urban areas or constrained terrain.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 10:03:39 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Your infantry with javs will get some kills, but in open terrain they are going to be brutally coaxed and then run over.

Smoke screens, 40 MPH armored assaults across open desert or the fulda gap isn't going to be stopped by infantry with javelins.

View Quote

We already did that in open terrain. Climbed up mountains. Watching OPFOR formations on the ground and picking them off, one by one with our Javs. I think we were the most casualty producing elements at NTC. Not to mention all the IDF fire missions.

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 10:03:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Wiesel's main defense is that it can take pretty decent cover behind 2-3 HESCO barriers due to its tiny size.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 10:04:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Absolutely correct... honestly... would anything small and light enough to drop out of a C-130 do any better?  Serious question.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 10:04:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

We already did that in open terrain. Climbed up mountains. Watching OPFOR formations on the ground and picking them off, one by one with our Javs. I think we were the most casualty producing elements at NTC.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We already did that in open terrain. Climbed up mountains. Watching OPFOR formations on the ground and picking them off, one by one with our Javs. I think we were the most casualty producing elements at NTC.

Did you Jav simulations have the same problems mentioned earlier in the thread which make you incredibly visible after firing?
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 10:05:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Nope.

If it's only protected against 51 and 14.5 it really shouldn't be called a tank.
I don't think Benning has really nailed what they want (again).

The 82nd and the Ranger Battalions are for forced entry and strategic targets.  US doctrine is to NEVER throw them against known heavy divisions and formations.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 10:09:07 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Did you Jav simulations have the same problems mentioned earlier in the thread which make you incredibly visible after firing?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No. There is a VERY small report from shooting a Jav and it has no back blast. The missile shoots out about 15 meters in front of you and then the rocket motors kick in and it's gone. It's not like a big puff of smoke that gives away your position when you fire. if an enemy is scanning his sector and you are a mile out, I would very seriously doubt he'd see you shooting the missile if he was looking DIRECTLY at you.

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 10:14:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The 82nd and the Ranger Battalions are for forced entry and strategic targets.  US doctrine is to NEVER throw them against known heavy divisions and formations.
View Quote

Desert Shield invalidated that doctrine.

Honestly, that was the most strategic and most useful employment of para units since the drop on Los  Banos.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 10:14:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
[
We already did that in open terrain. Climbed up mountains. Watching OPFOR formations on the ground and picking them off, one by one with our Javs. I think we were the most casualty producing elements at NTC. Not to mention all the IDF fire missions.

View Quote

How many missiles can you carry?  I have no idea how Javelins are deployed, but I would think that "running out of bullets" would be a problem for a light force doing anti-armor in the forward area.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 10:18:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

A 'light tank', that will at best have some protection against 25/30mm rounds, from the front only, is not going to fair any better.
View Quote

Which is why it should be dug in.  Any actual light tank should have a blade so it can self-emplace.

If you are only up against IFVs - charge, manuever, fight on.

If actaul-factual real-deal TANKS are in the enemy OOB, better get a two-tier fighting position dug, ricky-tick.

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 10:18:26 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
How many missiles can you carry?  I have no idea how Javelins are deployed, but I would think that "running out of bullets" would be a problem for a light force doing anti-armor in the forward area.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

[

Javelins weren't the only option. As I said, we called in IDF missions with LRMS and 155s all the time as well. Though, because he battles were so big, it wasn't always easy getting IDF missions. We had about 6 or 7 Javelins. We had a squad of guys who were responsible for shooting the Javelins but all throughout the Company, each squad had a guy carrying a Javelin on his ruck. So we had 4 Platoons, and each platoon had 3 or 4 squads. So we had enough to do alot of damage, just with Javelins alone.

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 10:22:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Javelins weren't the only option. As I said, we called in IDF missions with LRMS and 155s all the time as well. Though, because he battles were so big, it wasn't always easy getting IDF missions. We had about 6 or 7 Javelins. We had a squad of guys who were responsible for shooting the Javelins but all throughout the Company, each squad had a guy carrying a Javelin on his ruck. So we had 4 Platoons, and each platoon had 3 or 4 squads. So we had enough to do alot of damage, just with Javelins alone.

View Quote

Cool, thanks for the intel.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 10:23:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 10:28:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 10:30:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Mark xxx Bolo
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 10:31:38 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Part in blue - why the Army can't have nice things - too restrictive.  Trying to build a 'light' tank that has any kind of armor but still uses MBT rounds is a recipe for failure.  Even the M-8 uses the 105 instead of the 120.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The Rapid Deployment/Light Tank was developed by AAI Corporation to meet a specification requested by the US Army in 1980. The first RDF/LT shown in the brochure was fitted with a high velocity 76mm cannon similar to the one fitted to the M-41 Walker Bulldog. The nexts version was fitted with an AAI developed cannon that fired caseless telescoping 75mm rounds that could be fired in burst and had an extreme elevation for engaging slow moving aircraft or helicopters. AAI claimed that 75mm cannon could defeat modern main battle tanks by hitting them with a five round burst in the same area of the armor. Three versions of the RDF/LT with the ultra modern full auto 75mm cannon were developed. The first two color photo shows the first model. It had a crew of three with one in the hull and two in the turret. The second version had only a crew of two with both in the hull and the turret unmanned. The last version was a combined antiarmor and antiair fitted with two pods that carried four Stinger missiles each. The RDF/LT was never seriously considered by the US Army because they wanted any so called "light tank" to mount the same cannon as was fitted to most modern main battle tanks.

http://www.army-guide.com/eng/product4488.html

Part in blue - why the Army can't have nice things - too restrictive.  Trying to build a 'light' tank that has any kind of armor but still uses MBT rounds is a recipe for failure.  Even the M-8 uses the 105 instead of the 120.

I thought the US Army used Tank Destroyers to great effective in WW2?

Which were basically very lightly armored tanks with big guns.

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 10:32:56 AM EDT
[#46]
How about if a tank is covered in reactive armor on the top? Wasnt some type of applique armor developed to withstand top attacks?

Quoted:

And as I added on earlier. When we got to be attached to JRTC OPFOR, their commander said his biggest worry on the battlefield of all the weapon systems the army brings in. The squad running around with Javelins was his biggest headache.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 10:34:41 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

How about if a tank is covered in reactive armor on the top? Wasnt some type of applique armor developed to withstand top attacks?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Javelin is specifically designed to defeat reactive armor. Anything more then that, I won't go into.

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 10:37:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

They're really a defensive weapon.  Big gun with thin armor and no protection in the form of a turret roof.  Best employed from prepared battle positions.

When used like a tank in the offense, they didn't do to well at all.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 10:37:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

The war invalidated the entire concept.

You'll notice after the War, our tanks went heavy and slow (comparitively.)
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 10:38:41 AM EDT
[#50]

Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top