Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 12:19:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Bought the HF 44” top, bottom and two sides 5 years ago next week.  Damned fine boxes.   Took a look at the new Craftsman last month at Lowes.  That thing is a complete waste of money in my opinion.

Attachment Attached File

I removed the pins that lock the drawers on the top box so it usable with the lid closed.  Top is a waste of space that turns into a horizontal shit collector anyway.

Got $500 in HF store credit from the settlement, going to see if the price on the 44 drops for a new year sale.  Would Ike to see the Black Friday $399 price again, But also going to do a modified SteveO work bench.  I’m going to build in “landing gear” I can lower via scissors jacks to roll it around.   Also going to order a 24” X 72” butcher block maple top from Global Industrial to top it off.  Not sure if I want to do the removable vise thing yet though. Still thinking about that.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 12:25:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm sure Craftsman is Better than horrible freight.  But this is GD and the horrible freight fan boys will be along shortly.
View Quote
You need to get out more. General tool boxes are much better than Sears.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 12:43:24 AM EDT
[#3]
US General better than Craftsman.
Husky better than US General (best bang for the buck, especially if you can wait for the days that Home Depot gives the veteran's discount).

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 12:50:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Husky better than US General (best bang for the buck, especially if you can wait for the days that Home Depot gives the veteran's discount).

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/48896/10_jpg-785747.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/48896/11_jpg-785748.JPG
View Quote
These came under the Milwaukee label right after I bought my HF.  They are a great deal, but I didn’t care for the matt textured finish and no side box options.   I might have gone this way since they are well made.
Also, HF offers more drawers.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 1:08:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I just got one of these for $159. Sturdy AF. Many seem to think that this tool cart is the deal of the century.

Pro tip:

Pick up the $27 side folding tray when buying this.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 1:16:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I have both and I rate my HF well above my Craftsman.  And my Cman is a ballbearing model.  The HF boxes are stout, better drawers, etc. and come with drawer liners. Way heavier as well.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 1:33:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Funny, . . . that shitty old Craftsman roll-away and chest combo that I've been working out of for 30+ years have never let me down.  And I'm not talking about messin' around with the Camaro in the garage, I'm talking about heavy industrial use in a manufacturing plant, with the drawers being opened and closed dozens of times a day.  Never so much as worn out a lock.  I won't talk shit about U.S. General boxes, in fact I've heard great things.  But when you say Craftsman boxes are shit, I'm gonna call you out for talking out of your ass.
View Quote
They've been trash for many years. A third of a century is a long time and things change.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 1:47:31 AM EDT
[#8]
HF Series 2 are so far ahead of Craftsman Boxes it’s not even a contest.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 2:01:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Definitely Craftsman

I think Husky makes a better and smoother tool chest than US General.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 3:57:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I just got one of these for $159. Sturdy AF. Many seem to think that this tool cart is the deal of the century.

Pro tip:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309598/4E20CBC6-EC9E-409B-9FFC-893BF6EEB142_jpeg-785762.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Pro tip:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309598/4E20CBC6-EC9E-409B-9FFC-893BF6EEB142_jpeg-785762.JPG
I really don't need a tool chest or cart right now, but am really liking the looks and reviews of this
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 4:22:23 AM EDT
[#11]
A co-worker has one, its actually pretty nice. I have a cheaper craftsman and an old one the cheap one is garbage
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 1:08:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think Husky makes a better and smoother tool chest than US General.
View Quote
I dont think so.

I looked at them real hard at black friday. I even put stuff in the drawers to simulate loading. I took pics and tried the drawers, then went home and compared to my HF and Lista. They were not any better than the HF stuff. The HF stuff had better drawer arrangements IMO
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 1:15:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I look forward to the day I can unload my Crapsman boxes on to my son and buy something that doesn't suck balls. They can't handle weight without twisting and what not.

My dad has an ancient CM, that box is nice.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 1:25:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got around 7 tool chests between my barn and the farm.  Waterloo, Husky, Craftsmen, and one Harbor Freight box.  The HF box is by far the nicest one.   Not even close especially when you consider the price point.  I would not hesitate to buy more HF chests if/when needed.  Are they Kennedy or SnapOn?  No.  don't need to be.  I'd bet a large majority of pro mechanics really don't "need" those expensive boxes.  More a status symbol.  Of course I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 1:32:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/48896/10_jpg-785747.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/48896/11_jpg-785748.JPG
View Quote
That’s the one I have.  Love it!
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 2:49:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I look forward to the day I can unload my Crapsman boxes on to my son and buy something that doesn't suck balls. They can't handle weight without twisting and what not.

My dad has an ancient CM, that box is nice.
View Quote
I Craigslisted mine to offset the price of the Husky - people still want the older Craftsman.
Someone even bought my piece of crap Homak box.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 3:03:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
IMO for a homeowner or hobbyist to just hold tools in why pay more than you have too. Making your living with these tools? Maybe a different choice.
View Quote
My GF who is a flight nurse just bought me the large US General tool box top and bottom for Christmas. The suggestion was from her helo mechanic. He stated that he and a few of the other mechanics have started buying those over the Snap-Ons.

Its much better quality than the triple stack Craftsman that I paid 1k for 15 years ago.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 3:44:15 PM EDT
[#18]
This gearhead/homeowner has gotten really good service out of the Craftsman box he got 15.5 years ago as a high school graduation gift.  Drawers work fine, tracks are fine, only complaint is the gray paint on the drawers is rusting thru.  80yo shack of a garage is in no way climate controlled either.

Other than that, 0 complaints.

No idea how it compares to a HF box because honestly I have never really even looked at them at HF.  I have eyed a rollcart though, they look pretty decent.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 3:56:34 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a craftsmen upper and lower ball bearing grip latch boxes.  The upper I got when I was younger and is very nice.  The lower I got maybe a decade later and it's a steaming pile of shit.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 4:47:51 PM EDT
[#20]
This thread is gonna cost me money.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 4:55:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 5:59:51 PM EDT
[#22]
I like how the ad shows a $52 sale price on the left side, then it says save $691 on the right side.
They must be marketing to common core millennial's...
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 6:09:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I like how the ad shows a $52 sale price on the left side, then it says save $691 on the right side.
They must be marketing to common core millennial's...
View Quote
$691 savings is probably in relation to some random competitors price.

Like it is $691 cheaper than a Blue Point roll cart or something like that.

Kind of a scummy thing they do on a lot of things...
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 6:17:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Lista, Stanley Vidmar and Lyon + Craigslist and Ebay.

The american made industrial storage boxes are light years ahead of anything marketed to the automotive/residential crowd including Snap on.
View Quote
Yep, machine shop/industrial auctions are your friend as well.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 6:32:34 PM EDT
[#25]
HF series 2 is really good for the money. Your back may say otherwise trying to wrestle the 72" off the truck and pallet .. just got both with the no restriction coupons they had for black Friday.

Also picked this cabinet up when Zoro had their 25% off... love it..

Link Posted: 12/26/2018 8:14:01 PM EDT
[#26]
What's the difference between the (3) options for the same box?  For instance, between P/N's 64441, 64442, 64443....

About to order one, want to make sure it's right.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 8:25:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Different part numbers for the same item usually are from different mfgrs. that build them for HF.  On GJ there has been info posted about minor differences like drawer guides coming out a little further.  Also might be color choice as well.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 8:27:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

awesome setup...but i gotta ask.....why Milwaukee AND Dewalt?....why not one or the other for common batteries/chargers etc.
View Quote
I've always had good luck with Dewalt. However, they have no 3/8" cordless ratchet. I really wanted one, so I bought the Milwaukee.

I should've known better... Once I had a new battery and charger platform,  I used that as an excuse to buy more stuff... "already got the batteries and charger, It'd be silly not to pickup a few more M12 tools"...

The Stubby Impact is awesome. Another one Dewalt doesn't have anything comparable to. The hackzall, as well... I'm pretty impressed with their M12 line. Way more power than I thought possible from 12V tools.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 8:30:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Craftsman boxes are absolute fucking garbage. Rattly, overpriced pieces of shit they should be embarassed to sell.

US general is like a knockoff snap on.

Thing is...even a box thats 60% as nice as snap on is still 99.9% better than a craftsman that was triple the price.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 8:47:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Different part numbers for the same item usually are from different mfgrs. that build them for HF.  On GJ there has been info posted about minor differences like drawer guides coming out a little further.  Also might be color choice as well.
View Quote
Thanks!
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top