Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 11/23/2012 2:09:26 PM EDT
http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/23/business/america-shale-gas-ferguson-stevens/index.html

Hong Kong (CNN) –– If there's been one consistent thread running through the U.S. economic story since 2008, it's been the steady drumbeat of gloom.

Outright recession or sub-standard growth, stubbornly high unemployment and fiscal crises have been the topics du jour when it comes to the world's biggest economy.

But now an unlikely champion for U.S. growth under the Obama administration has emerged –– a former adviser to a Republican Party presidential candidate and Harvard history professor, Niall Ferguson, who says America could actually be heading toward a new economic "golden age."

And it has nothing to do with Washington and everything to do with energy.

Ferguson, who is also an author and commentator, believes the production of natural gas and oil from shale formations via a process known as "fracking" –– forcing open rocks by injecting fluid into cracks –– will be a game changer.

"This is an absolutely huge phenomenon with massive implications for the U.S. economy, and I think most people are still a little bit slow to appreciate just how big this is," he said in Hong Kong this week.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:11:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Let all of us hope and pray that he's right

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:11:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Sure there's oil in them thar hills.  Fracking also pollutes the local water supply. No water, no life.  

Want a game changer?  Univ of Milan demonstrated fusion but the US refused the patent.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:11:35 PM EDT
[#3]
And the Obama Admin will stop it or regulate it into the ground...
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:13:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sure there's oil in them thar hills.  Fracking also pollutes the local water supply. No water, no life.  

Want a game changer?  Univ of Milan demonstrated fusion but the US refused the patent.

Provide a link to a peer reviewed study. I'll be waiting.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:13:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Just like he did to coal.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:15:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No Life?  WTF, we Need Life!    

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:16:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So where's your proof?

Show me the fucking evidence where fracing directly pollutes the local water supply.

I'll be waiting

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:16:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

this

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:18:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:19:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Jack Welch said this is natural gas is the next big thing for our country, like the Internet.

As long as the Democrats don't try to over-regulate, we could really dominate the world economy for decades to come.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:19:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Of course. They can't lie on the Internet. I read that on the Internet.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:20:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Clearly didn't click link.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:22:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Please tell us precisely how fracing pollutes the ground water.  

This ought to be good.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:22:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Niall is usually correct.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:23:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha. You're correct. Thought you were the previous poster. Thought remains true. I would like to see some peer reviewed literature. I'm confident that studies will show that planned fraking will be safe and a boon for the US.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:24:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So where's your proof?

Show me the fucking evidence where fracing directly pollutes the local water supply.

I'll be waiting

Yes sir, please do provide some solid scientific evidence proving your outburst.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:25:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Proof on this one.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:26:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha. You're correct. Thought you were the previous poster. Thought remains true. I would like to see some peer reviewed literature. I'm confident that studies will show that planned fraking will be safe and a boon for the US.

Fracking isn't that bad to be honest. It doesn't pollute the water supply. What DOES pollute the water supply are workers that half ass shit. Leave valves open when they shouldn't, don't fix leaks, not checking seals like they should. Basically cutting corners. That creates a problem and in turn does lead to water supply contamination.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:26:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Damn it, I just bought a Prius.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:26:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

not sure if troll or obama voter?  

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:26:59 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

BS. The world has poured billions to Fusion research. If some dude had the answer to that riddle, they'd be on that like flies on shit.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:27:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Are you using Gasland as a source?
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:27:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Jack Welch said this is natural gas is the next big thing for our country, like the Internet.

As long as the Democrats don't try to over-regulate, we could really dominate the world economy for decades to come.

I have a relative in the biz. He's worried about being laid off.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:28:20 PM EDT
[#24]
when i clicked this thread i was expecting some kind of sex carnival.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:28:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fracking isn't that bad to be honest. It doesn't pollute the water supply. What DOES pollute the water supply are workers that half ass shit. Leave valves open when they shouldn't, don't fix leaks, not checking seals like they should. Basically cutting corners. That creates a problem and in turn does lead to water supply contamination.

A leak or open valve at 8000psi most certainly gets fixed.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:28:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

OMG Fusion is so far away from us. We've dumped BILLIONS into that on a global scale and really aren't that far along with it. It would be nice but come on, that kind of tech is at least 20 years down the pipeline.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:28:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

BS. The world has poured billions to Fusion research. If some dude had the answer to that riddle, they'd be on that like flies on shit.

LOL just like clean thorium reactors, right?  
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:31:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Proof?
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:31:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So where's your proof?

I'll be waiting

poisons water, kills children and causes earthquakes. thousands if not millions of kittens and puppies die each year due to fracking.

expect a total ban on this procedure in the next 2 to 3 years.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:31:58 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think he's referring to the general fluid handling activities involved throughout the completion and production processes.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:32:04 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Sure there's oil in them thar hills. Fracking also pollutes the local water supply. No water, no life.

Want a game changer? Univ of Milan demonstrated fusion but the US refused the patent.

Sir, you are pathetically misinformed.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:33:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I seen some cnbc special on fracking one time it explained a lot about it. I forget exactly what was said but it was along those lines. The people working on the job basically are the reason the water supplies get polluted. Lack of care lead to it. Fracking gets a bad name because of a bunch of useless workers. It's sad really.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:34:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:35:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

OMG Fusion is so far away from us. We've dumped BILLIONS into that on a global scale and really aren't that far along with it. It would be nice but come on, that kind of tech is at least 20 years down the pipeline.

Heck, we're 26 years if all goes to plan away from finishing with the ITER project... Probably more like 50 years before we start to see anything practical.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:37:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heck, we're 26 years if all goes to plan away from finishing with the ITER project... Probably more like 50 years before we start to see anything practical.

I don't think people that scream "fusion is right around the corner" quite understand how insanely complicated one word actually is. Literally trying to harness the power of the sun on little ol' Earth isn't that easy.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:38:00 PM EDT
[#36]
I have seen plenty of well houses catch on fire round here due to gas in the water

the thing is there is no drilling here apart from the water well itself

besides, don't they use a sand type proppant now?
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:39:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have seen plenty of well houses catch on fire round here due to gas in the water

the thing is there is no drilling here apart from the water well itself

besides, don't they use a sand type proppant now?

Yes
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:40:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Want to jump start the economy....reign in the EPA...until then we are not playing on a level field.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:40:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That isn't in the plans of our "fundamental change."
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:53:08 PM EDT
[#40]
\

Obama and the DNC will be sure to find a way to fark this up in an incredibly spectacular fashion.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:53:15 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think he's referring to the general fluid handling activities involved throughout the completion and production processes.

Then it appears that there are two of you that have no idea what he is talking about.

There is no valve to leave open between the hydrocarbon producing formations where fracking takes place and groundwater aquifers. None. Nor are there leaks, seals to change or neglect, or corners to cut that would cross contaminate these formations seperated by thousands of feet of rock, steel, and concrete.

The boreholes passing through the groundwater formations have pipe cemented in place all the way to the bottom of the well....inside of pipe cemented in place for thousands of feet above and below them....inside of pipe cemented in place for hundreds of feet above and below them.

Anything spilled on the surface has to be reported to the EPA and remediated to EPA standards. This is a rare occurance and the chances of a surface spill being of sufficent size to penetrate hundreds or thousands of feet down to the groundwater are nearly zero.

I work in the industry and I have had a belly full of willfully ignorant useful idiots spouting bullshit about groundwater being polluted by fracking operations. There has not been ONE instance with definative proof of this occuring out of tens of thousands of wells drilled and completed using fracking technology.

You can bullshit the fans....but you can't bullshit the fucking players.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:56:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Then it appears that there are two of you that have no idea what he is talking about.

There is no valve to leave open between the hydrocarbon producing formations where fracking takes place and groundwater aquifers. None. Nor are there leaks, seals to change or neglect, or corners to cut that would cross contaminate these formations seperated by thousands of feet of rock, steel, and concrete.

The boreholes passing through the groundwater formations have pipe cemented in place all the way to the bottom of the well....inside of pipe cemented in place for thousands of feet above and below them....inside of pipe cemented in place for hundreds of feet above and below them.

Anything spilled on the surface has to be reported to the EPA and remediated to EPA standards. This is a rare occurance and the chances of a surface spill being of sufficent size to penetrate hundreds or thousands of feet down to the groundwater are nearly zero.

I work in the industry and I have had a belly full of willfully ignorant useful idiots spouting bullshit about groundwater being polluted by fracking operations. There has not been ONE instance with definative proof of this occuring out of tens of thousands of wells drilled and completed using fracking technology.

You can bullshit the fans....but you can't bullshit the fucking players.

Thanks for the response. Blame the internet, too many people believe almost anything they read on it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:57:16 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That isn't in the plans of our "fundamental change."

That is what I fear.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:57:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Fracking is the pumping of unknown chemicals and water into the ground.

The chemicals are not being released to the public as the companies are saying it's information they don't want to release.

Our water comes from the ground from underground reservoirs and rivers. This shit is polluting it.

Should be illegal. Find another way to do it safely.

Why can't they just use seawater? Why the chemicals and freshwater?

http://www.salon.com/2012/07/09/confirmed_fracking_can_pollute/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/dec/09/epa-reports-fracking-groundwater-pollution

http://www.nrdc.org/energy/fracking-wastewater.asp

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 3:02:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The chemicals are not being released to the public as the companies are saying it's information they don't want to release.

Our water comes from the ground from underground reservoirs and rivers. This shit is polluting it.

Should be illegal.

Jesus man, try educating yourself a little. Honestly I hope this is sarcasm.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 3:03:14 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

My water doesn't come from groundwater, it comes from a giant lake.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 3:03:59 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Should be illegal.

Jesus man, try educating yourself a little. Honestly I hope this is sarcasm.

Read the link I made hot. It only makes sense when you pump chemicals and shit into the ground that water supplies can be contaminated.

The EPA has confirmed it at this location.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 3:04:37 PM EDT
[#48]
We can only hope.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 3:06:06 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

You too, Sir, are misinformed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTJaaeiuzSU&feature=player_embedded

Pay close attention to 25 minutes into the video.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 3:06:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Matt Damon has a movie coming out that is going to demonize fracking. I pray nobody goes to see it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top