Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/8/2015 9:46:03 PM EDT

The
United States Air Force (USAF) and National Nuclear Security
Administration (NNSA) have completed the first development flight test
of a controversial update to a nuclear bomb that has been use since the
1960s.  

The tests are designed to extend the lifespan of the nuclear weapon by upgrading some of its parts

Spoiler alert: This was a 'safe' version of the the B61-12 nuclear gravity bomb with no warhead, tested at Tonopah Test Range in Nevada.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3154136/Air-force-drops-controversial-bomb-test-designed-update-nuclear-arsenal.html

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 9:50:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 9:50:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Needs more earth-shattering kaboom
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 9:51:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Needs to be tested at Baltimore Test Range, in Maryland, instead of Nevada.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 9:52:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

This, we've had enough
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 9:53:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Wait.... we have a US Nuclear Weapons Museum? Why the fuck I wasn't ever told about this! Damn it GD.... you're fucking slipping!
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 9:55:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had to LOL.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 9:57:17 PM EDT
[#7]
They should have dropped it on Ferguson! Oh yea they already destroyed it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 9:57:32 PM EDT
[#8]
IBJH

In before Jade Helm!

I love me some B-61.  Big crowd pleaser!

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:00:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote
How about Iran?  Stir things up a bit.  

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:00:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:01:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

They need to recreate the soviet czar bomba and drop it there for historical and scientific testing
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:01:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Well it's about time we upgraded our nukes.

Don't want them to go past the sell-by date.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:03:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:03:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

ETA: 18 seconds.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:06:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote
I think you misspelled Washington, D.C.

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:10:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I raffed.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:11:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Wait.... we have a US Nuclear Weapons Museum? Why the fuck I wasn't ever told about this! Damn it GD.... you're fucking slipping!
View Quote

There is also a museum in Las Vegas.  When i swung through a couple years ago there was an incredibly nice woman who's husband had been a weather technician for some of the testing done in alaska.

well worth the visit if you're in the area
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:14:03 PM EDT
[#18]
That's nothing to the Tsar Bomba
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:15:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
B61 drop shape at the US Nuclear Museum in Albuquerque:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=10789
View Quote

We called that the "silver bullet".

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:16:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Nah - the B83 is the crowd pleaser.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=10790

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IBJH

In before Jade Helm!

Is that in the spare bedroom?
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:17:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Las Vegas
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:19:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IBJH

In before Jade Helm!

No.  The 'Dial-a-Boom' is the massive crowd pleaser.  Big bad megaton is 'mother of all crowds pleaser'.  You need to get your crowd sizer calibrated!  The scale starts with SRAM's as the 'party favors' and goes up from there...

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:19:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That's nothing to the Tsar Bomba
View Quote

Yep.  And they tested the thing at only half strength!

It's the ultimate crowd-eliminator!
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:34:03 PM EDT
[#24]

I can say with all honesty that I have sat my ass on a real live B61, B83, and a SRAM. On multiple occasions.

<<< USAF SAC AMMO cold war.

TCABC
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:51:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've always wanted one of the sub-scale training bombs.  Looked like a 3 foot long miniature V-2 rocket.  I know a guy who had one as the base for the flagpole at his house and somehow never asked where he got his.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:53:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

That would require an Iludium Pu-34 Explosive Space Modulator.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:58:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I can say with all honesty that I have sat my ass on a real live B61, B83, and a SRAM. On multiple occasions.

<<< USAF SAC AMMO cold war.

TCABC
View Quote

Thankfully I DIDN'T have to. I went thru basic in 1984 and my initial (proposed?  I don't remember how it was worded) assignment was to be a SRAM missile maintenance technician. Fortunately I wound up going to avionics school and working on F-15s. SAC didn't appeal to me one bit.

My dad was a Boeing engineer and worked on some cool stuff. He was on a program to adapt a nuclear cruise missile designed for the B-1A, for use on the B-52. I have a pic around here somewhere.

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:59:16 PM EDT
[#28]
supersonic tritium factory FTW...
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 11:00:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Disregard.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 11:07:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Function test all over SF ... FTW
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 11:13:59 PM EDT
[#31]
With all the improvements in air defense, isn't a nuclear gravity bomb pretty much useless these days?

We SHOULD be upgrading and building more nuclear stealth cruise missiles, improving our ballistic missiles, and doing serious work on hypersonic missiles.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 11:35:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 11:36:07 PM EDT
[#33]
So they dropped a Glock?
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 11:41:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
With all the improvements in air defense, isn't a nuclear gravity bomb pretty much useless these days?

We SHOULD be upgrading and building more nuclear stealth cruise missiles, improving our ballistic missiles, and doing serious work on hypersonic missiles.
View Quote

No.  There's still a very valid need for a weapon you have to put eyes on target for.  OTH weapons have their place, too, but when you absolutely, positively have to kill it, a large(r than you can put on a missile) weapon eyeballed into the DGZ is the way to go.  
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 11:41:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Where's sylvan?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where's sylvan?

What the hell!?!  What am I, chopped liver?  

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 11:42:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

We had one and they retired it...with no replacement.

ACM
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 11:44:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where's sylvan?

Sorry sir, but you post recipes and he posts articles.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 11:44:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sort of want a replica of this for my office.

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 11:56:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 12:00:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

No.  There's still a very valid need for a weapon you have to put eyes on target for.  OTH weapons have their place, too, but when you absolutely, positively have to kill it, a large(r than you can put on a missile) weapon eyeballed into the DGZ is the way to go.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nobody is going to be putting eyes on a target for a nuclear bomb. Bomb will be dropped from high altitude and I would think that the sheer destructive power of a nuclear blast makes the need for precision guidance a moot point.

The only situation where I could see nuclear gravity bombs being relevant would be for follow up strikes and that only after all other nuclear weapons have been used or are being held in reserve if they survived the first strike in case another enemy launches on us.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 12:58:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Nobody is going to be putting eyes on a target for a nuclear bomb. Bomb will be dropped from high altitude and I would think that the sheer destructive power of a nuclear blast makes the need for precision guidance a moot point.

The only situation where I could see nuclear gravity bombs being relevant would be for follow up strikes and that only after all other nuclear weapons have been used or are being held in reserve if they survived the first strike in case another enemy launches on us.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are eyes and then there are eyes.  If ever a nuclear gravity bomb is dropped again there will likely be eyes on the target.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 1:09:07 AM EDT
[#42]
This is a ground penetrating bomb right?

accuracy even with 440kt is important when underground...
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 1:13:55 AM EDT
[#43]
FOOMP

Link Posted: 7/9/2015 1:25:51 AM EDT
[#44]
edit - below.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 1:26:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can always recall planes.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 1:34:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not if Major Kong is piloting.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 1:38:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Link Posted: 7/9/2015 1:53:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's pretty cool.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 1:58:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Digging something up and blowing it to kingdom come...

There's a rather shocking level of precision involved.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 3:52:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

There are eyes and then there are eyes.  If ever a nuclear gravity bomb is dropped again there will likely be eyes on the target.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I SEE what you did there.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top