BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 10:55:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What is in those containers at 7:46 anybody know? Almost looks like some sort of test subjects.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

What is in those containers at 7:46 anybody know? Almost looks like some sort of test subjects.

Those may have been beagles.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 11:07:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/10/2015 11:11:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
B61 drop shape at the US Nuclear Museum in Albuquerque:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=10789
View Quote

Forget the 61, look at that beautiful B83 behind it.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 1:28:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

They also have an ALCM - it's bigger than I thought:

View Quote

My dad was the Lead Engineer when they adapted the ALCM (was designed for the B-1A) to the B-52 after Carter killed the B-1A.

Dad is the big guy in the front row. This would have been in the late 70s.

Link Posted: 7/10/2015 1:44:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I was driving from through Las Vegas yesterday.  South bound on I15 watched two B-52 circle around Nellis - very cool.  

I know, csb, but the first time I have ever seen a B-52 in the wild.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 7:18:15 PM EDT
[#6]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://youtu.be/OYUSKWhb3sk

Atomic Fucking Pork Rinds!

America Baby!
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 10:04:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 12:36:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Did you have racks in the mag, or did you just sleep on clean, padded surfaces?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got started in the program in 1958 when it was it was called ASSWIPE.  Actually it was AFSWP which stood for Armed Forces Special Weapons Project. I worked on the MK5 to start and finished up on the B61.  I did one tour in a Depot where we worked on Army, Navy and Air force weapons.  Prior to the inception of the two fool rule, we slept in the magazine with the weapons because it was air conditioned.  The MK7 (and a few others) could have been detonated by a crazy but we didn't have many of them around back then.  In 1968 I became part of the Defense Atomic Support Agency Nuclear Emergency Team. DASA NET which responded to weapons accidents around the world.  Fun times but like all good things it slowly became more bull shit than fun so I moved on.

I'm amazed to see the B61 still part of the stockpile after 40 years

Did you have racks in the mag, or did you just sleep on clean, padded surfaces?

Some guys had air mattresses but most just had a Navy issue blanket on the steel deck.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 1:08:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

And you can arrange a trip to the NTS too, although there are limited numbers of excursions there.  No cameras, no pickup up and dirt or rocks.  I think you can walk up to the rim of the Sedan crater.  I want to go there.  
I did make a drive up to and into the Faultless crater.  Its maybe 75 yards diameter, maybe a little bigger and 12' deep at most.  They set of a big bomb there, "megaton" range, pretty deep.  It actually ended up causing a fault to slip and force a lot of shale oil up to the surface.   When you were howard hughes, you could ask for and get anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wait.... we have a US Nuclear Weapons Museum? Why the fuck I wasn't ever told about this! Damn it GD.... you're fucking slipping!

Las Vegas

And you can arrange a trip to the NTS too, although there are limited numbers of excursions there.  No cameras, no pickup up and dirt or rocks.  I think you can walk up to the rim of the Sedan crater.  I want to go there.  
I did make a drive up to and into the Faultless crater.  Its maybe 75 yards diameter, maybe a little bigger and 12' deep at most.  They set of a big bomb there, "megaton" range, pretty deep.  It actually ended up causing a fault to slip and force a lot of shale oil up to the surface.   When you were howard hughes, you could ask for and get anything.

What's the basis for that statement?

I've been there twice, the first time in 2000.  While there, a DOE cleanup crew showed up, their supervisor being the first one.  He and I talked for about a half hour or so on what the DOE was cleaning up at that time - it was the hydraulic oil they used to lubricate the drill stem while drilling the three holes (the CNTS was supposed to have a total of three nukes tested there, it all was stopped after the Faultless shot).  DOE was rehabilitating the three oil ponds at each drill site.  There was no nuclear cleaning or mention of any other oil on site.

Of the 1,054 nuclear test shots, Faultless is the only one that I can find that does not detail how big the nuke was.  DOE-209 Rev 15 just says "up to 1 MT".  Since it was primarily a site qualification shot, I don't understand the secrecy, expecially since it's been 47 years since the test.

Some pics of our 2008 trip:

Pic of the crater and the fault lines mentioned above in the background:

Link Posted: 7/11/2015 1:09:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My dad was the Lead Engineer when they adapted the ALCM (was designed for the B-1A) to the B-52 after Carter killed the B-1A.

http://i.imgur.com/xRRqByU.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They also have an ALCM - it's bigger than I thought:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=78434

http://i.imgur.com/xRRqByU.jpg

I know at least 5 of those people in your second pic.  For the life of me, I can't recall any other their names though.  I used to work in the 18-60 (or 18-64) building at the Kent Space Center in Kent, WA.  That building was specifically designed to build the AGM-86.  It was designed and built in the very early 80's.  When ALCM production stopped, Boeing Commercial took over the building since there was some very advanced 4- and 5-axis machining centers in the building.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 1:26:35 PM EDT
[#11]
picture of the all the naughty bits inside a B61... (Supposedly)

Just guessing what I'm looking at... And partially fishing for tasty recipes...

Clockwise from 12:00...
1- primary pit... Most likely a boosted weapon so there would be some tritium gas or something in there..
2- gold ball.. Neutron reflector? Gold plated beryllium maybe..
3-  tamper / pusher... (Bowl with holes) maybe secondary blast shield..
4 & 5 - bowl shaped objects... Pusher/tamper or neutron reflectors... Could be anything from beryllium, steel, aluminum or u-235
6- large gold ball on left... Primary neutron reflector.. 2 small holes are for the neutron source I would guess.. It's a dail-a-yield so multiple sources would be needed.
7- all the cylinder things in the middle would make up the secondary... Thicker hollow cylinder u-238 and would be filled with lithium-6 and the Pu-239 "spark plug" would go inside... Spark plug may be the smaller diameter chunk middle right.. The other cylinder shaped objects most likely make up some part of the secondary shield or are some kind of mechanism to keep the secondary from firing when the yield is dialed low..
8- snowflake looking washer things... Don't know.. Maybe to keep the pit levitated and designed to help control / spread neutrons...

That should be good for at least an appetizer and main course....
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 2:56:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7a/B61internals.png/1061px-B61internals.png

1- primary pit... Most likely a boosted weapon so there would be some tritium gas or something in there..
4 & 5 - bowl shaped objects... Pusher/tamper or neutron reflectors... Could be anything from beryllium, steel, aluminum or u-235
6- large gold ball on left... Primary neutron reflector.. 2 small holes are for the neutron source I would guess.. It's a dail-a-yield so multiple sources would be needed.
7- all the cylinder things in the middle would make up the secondary... Thicker hollow cylinder u-238 and would be filled with lithium-6 and the Pu-239 "spark plug" would go inside... Spark plug may be the smaller diameter chunk middle right.. The other cylinder shaped objects most likely make up some part of the secondary shield or are some kind of mechanism to keep the secondary from firing when the yield is dialed low..
8- snowflake looking washer things... Don't know.. Maybe to keep the pit levitated and designed to help control / spread neutrons...

View Quote

Any one read in on CNWDI is not going to confirm nor deny what is there one way or another.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 3:15:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wait.... we have a US Nuclear Weapons Museum? Why the fuck I wasn't ever told about this! Damn it GD.... you're fucking slipping!

Las Vegas

I did that.
It was pretty cool.
That crater is massive.
I have a picture of me standing in front of one of those houses they built to test the effects of the blast.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 4:01:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 4:59:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I might agree with you on the primary, but there's no way that the secondary is using a U-238 pusher. The B61 is a relative low-yield weapon and I doubt it uses a fissionable pusher. I also doubt they'd leave anything Plutonium just laying around.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7a/B61internals.png/1061px-B61internals.png

I might agree with you on the primary, but there's no way that the secondary is using a U-238 pusher. The B61 is a relative low-yield weapon and I doubt it uses a fissionable pusher. I also doubt they'd leave anything Plutonium just laying around.

I've never seen pics the inside of a physics package other than a pit...  Anything about a secondary is just a guess...
I wasn't sure if the outter case was fissionable material or not..  Assuming not as it is a low yield weapon and IIRC they can get more than half the yield from a 238 or 239 case...

Link Posted: 7/11/2015 5:27:30 PM EDT
[#16]
You know what really kicks ass? Nachos from a roach coach when you order in Spanish after waiting 30 minutes.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 6:05:51 PM EDT
[#17]

"It is believed there are 200 B61 bombs actively in use by the United States."

"Actively in use"? I think not (or there'd be a lot less unfriendlys in the world ).

And why all the 'controversy' about the tests? Never stated in the article...
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 6:50:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You know what really kicks ass? Nachos from a roach coach when you order in Spanish after waiting 30 minutes.
View Quote

Or it will kick your ass.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 7:26:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because "OMG THEY'RE TESTING NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"  Remember, there is a significantly vocal segment of the population that would welcome a US "nuclear zero," to set an example for others (*cough Iran cough *) to follow.  

In 2004, I had a conversation with a Congressional staffer, as we tried to educate her on the USAF nuclear mission.  

One of the discussion items was the USAF request for upgrades to the W76, a SLEP to the B61 and RNEP.  

The staffer's position:  "If you upgrade them, you'll just want to use them."

I could not see teaching her a semester's worth of deterrence theory in the hour we had with her, in order to show her why her statement was so very, very wrong.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 7:43:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Because "OMG THEY'RE TESTING NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"  Remember, there is a significantly vocal segment of the population that would welcome a US "nuclear zero," to set an example for others (*cough Iran cough *) to follow.  

In 2004, I had a conversation with a Congressional staffer, as we tried to educate her on the USAF nuclear mission.  

One of the discussion items was the USAF request for upgrades to the W76, a SLEP to the B61 and RNEP.  

The staffer's If you upgrade them, you'll just want to use them."

I could not see teaching her a semester's worth of deterrence theory in the hour we had with her, in order to show her why her statement was so very, very wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Staffer? Clearance? Really?
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 9:45:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was an unclassified brief.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 9:53:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Doc Brown could put all that in a hot water heater and sell it to the Iranians.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top