BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 8:38:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I was in Rio when the USS Reagan was there and had been in the country for almost a year, it was quite a sight to see.  Some of the Brazilian Navy folks I was around said that the brazie carrier Sao Paulo was a big ship but next to an American aircraft carrier, it was a match box.  It was also about the same time the old man himself died.  My parents sent me a copy of a news paper clipping of Reagan's death/funeral.  My Brazilian asked me, "Who was Ronald Reagan, and why do people care so much about him?"  I just told him that there was a time when the US was reletively weak, and he came and lead the way to streangthening the country and winning the Cold War.

That's cool.  Here's the Sao Paulo steaming next to us.  We had some of their A4's come over and do some touch and go's on our deck.  Ronald Reagan died the day we pulled into Rio.  Our CO flew off to attend the funeral.  I've got a copy of the Rio news papers from when we pulled in, wish I knew Portuguese.  lol

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n171/koolf4/navy%20stuff/IMG_0424.jpg

Some one say pics of A4's doing touch and go's.  Been there rode the same ride.

When on first deployment and said that's enough.
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 8:51:55 PM EDT
[#2]
First one back in the day...

Link Posted: 4/19/2011 9:01:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I was in Rio when the USS Reagan was there and had been in the country for almost a year, it was quite a sight to see.  Some of the Brazilian Navy folks I was around said that the brazie carrier Sao Paulo was a big ship but next to an American aircraft carrier, it was a match box.  It was also about the same time the old man himself died.  My parents sent me a copy of a news paper clipping of Reagan's death/funeral.  My Brazilian asked me, "Who was Ronald Reagan, and why do people care so much about him?"  I just told him that there was a time when the US was reletively weak, and he came and lead the way to streangthening the country and winning the Cold War.

That's cool.  Here's the Sao Paulo steaming next to us.  We had some of their A4's come over and do some touch and go's on our deck.  Ronald Reagan died the day we pulled into Rio.  Our CO flew off to attend the funeral.  I've got a copy of the Rio news papers from when we pulled in, wish I knew Portuguese.  lol

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/568/dsc00088km0.jpg

http://img478.imageshack.us/img478/2118/dsc00243gm8.jpg

Um, the second one is a Super Etendard I believe, not Heineman's Hot Rod.
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 9:05:35 PM EDT
[#4]
See my avatar. (Dirt sailor checking in)
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 9:15:39 PM EDT
[#5]
USS Bunker Hill (CG-52)

USS John Young (DD-973)

Link Posted: 4/19/2011 9:34:40 PM EDT
[#6]
On my first voyage back in the 2150's...

Keep 'em coming.
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 9:42:51 PM EDT
[#7]

When?

My dad was on the Forrestal
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 9:49:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Pretty cool...

I saw two ships that my dad was on back in the 1960s ––

The USS Joseph Strauss (DDG-16) and USS Benjamin Stoddert (DDG-22).  Infact dad was on the Stoddert when it aided the Enterprise when it had its fire in January 69.

In the 70s and 80s he was on the LY Spear, the Holland and the Shenandoah.

My grandpa was on the Shenandoah in the 1950s

Link Posted: 4/19/2011 9:56:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Previous ship (I'm a sand sailor now, for better or worse).

USS Lake Erie (CG-70)

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/7169/lakeerie1.jpg

And a few shots from when we took down the satellite.

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/1410/mg0038o.jpg

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/4241/mg0032.jpg

we went right by your ship on the way to the USS Arizona memorial. the sailor on board told us that it (your ship) had just got back from shooting down the satellite.

took a photo too:

Link Posted: 4/19/2011 10:32:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Sigh!

You're lucky that you can show your ships.....I can't even name mine!
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 1:51:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Waiting to be destroyed LPD-12 Shreveport "Super Gator"

Link Posted: 4/20/2011 4:55:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I was a kid someday I wanted to be an officer on a Spruance class. Then not only did I get medically disqualified but they went and threw those ships away.

The first warship I ever set foot on was a Spruance-class DD, the USS Kinkaid (DD-965).  She was SINKEXed.  It was also my uncle's last ship (he was on a Newport-class LST, the Bristol County, before that; she's now in the Royal Moroccan Navy I believe).  I got to take home a spent powder casing for the aft 5-inch gun (sadly my father threw it away shortly after I went to college); they fired both against towed targets as a demonstration.  Also the first time I ever went in the engine room of a ship of any sort.

I also went on for a day at sea on the USS Constellation (CV-64) and the USS Boxer (LHD-4) with the Boy Scouts and NJROTC, respectively.  The latter ship was the most depressing ship I've ever been on.  I would not have been surprised if half the crew had tried to slit their wrists, jump overboard, or hang themselves and it was the filthiest ship, naval, merchant, or otherwise, that I have ever been on.

I've also been on the USS Rentz (FFG-46) for two weeks when I was in NJROTC.  Got to fire a .50-caliber machine gun for the first time on that ship.

When I was in NROTC my first year in college we got to go for a weekend to Rhode Island and did some training on board small craft (I think they were PBIs, but I forget; they were armed with one machine gun, either an M-60 or M-2).

I've also been on a non-USN (former USN, though) ship, the TS Golden Bear, for two months at sea as well as for short cruises including day cruises (like during Fleet Week) and also plenty of watches in port (deck and engine); she used to be the USNS Maury (T-AGS-39).  We're going to have Internet on the next cruise I go on, thankfully.  They installed some sort of communications array that allows for that.  I'm not sure what I'll go on for my commercial cruise when that comes around.

The Maury and Tanner were awful ships when they were commissioned. They had tons and tons of issues. They didn't stay in commission for very long. When I was about to get out of the Navy, my CO threatened to make me fly over to Japan and ride one of those ships back across the Pacific because they were short on Survey Supervisors. I was honestly pretty scared that I'd have to do it. They'd had several major fire and mechanical casualties. They had somehow brought her to Japan to patch her up after a severe casualty, and then were going to sail back to the US for a major overhaul. Those ships were built at the Bethlehem Steel and Shipbuilding Co. in Dundalk, Maryland. That place looked like absolute hell. The yard was literally falling apart. The workers and  workmanship sucked ass. I went there on the USS Canopus for a 90 day overhaul. At the end of ~5 months, the CO ordered the ship towed away from the pier, dropped anchor. Ship's crew made the necessary repairs to make the ship ready for sea. They made the Bethlehem guys travel to Kings Bay to finish the contracted repairs. Fortunately for me, I had transferred off by this time to the USNS Hess (T-AGS 38), but my future bride was still on the Canopus. They spent 5 months on the ship in the winter w/ no steam for most of the time. At least nobody was shooting at us.

There was a Senator from Maryland who got the Navy to swing the contracts for the Maury and Tanner to Bethlehem against the Navy's wishes. Same thing happened to the Canopus. We were told that there was a yard in Jacksonville Fl that had won the bid, only to have it yanked and handed to Bethlehem. Keep in mind the Canopus was stationed in Kings Bay, GA at the time, so it would have been cheaper for the Navy and better for the crew to go to Jax. As an added bonus, we got to ride out Hurricane Hugo on the way to the yards. That was fun.

Didn't know that about that class of ships.  The ex-Maury doesn't have such severe issues anymore, I can say that much.  They of course ripped out all of the survey equipment and some other equipment (the computer racks are still there, though) and also changed the screws.  I'm not sur what other changes were made.

Glad they got the issues straightened out. Probably cost more than the original cost of the ships.

I went to A and C schools in Mare Island. That place has some pretty interesting history.
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 4:57:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

OPSEC :) I don't like being identifiable. I'm a spook

????????

Link Posted: 4/20/2011 5:01:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/568/dsc00088km0.jpg

http://img478.imageshack.us/img478/2118/dsc00243gm8.jpg

Um, the second one is a Super Etendard I believe, not Heineman's Hot Rod.

Correct.  Argentina came over with some Super E's and old S2 Trackers.  I'll upload some of those pics later for ya.  

Link Posted: 4/20/2011 5:14:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Two.
First, USS Midway, CV-41.

Then USS Saipan, LHA-2.
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 5:31:25 AM EDT
[#17]
USS CARDINAL MHC-60 (MINE SWEEPER) WIKI LINK

This pic is from WIKI, that's me on the focsle, in the yellow hard hat.

My babies
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 5:44:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Pardon my Navy term ignorance (my brother's in the Air Force), but what is a "plankowner"? Does it mean you were stationed on the ship during its first deployment?
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 5:54:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Dirt Sailor but I did a tour as a Beach Critter.

Ship rider on these:

USS Peleliu (LHA 5) West Pac 1999

Harpers Ferry (LSD 49) RIMPAC 2000

Link Posted: 4/20/2011 5:56:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Pardon my Navy term ignorance (my brother's in the Air Force), but what is a "plankowner"? Does it mean you were stationed on the ship during its first deployment?

If you were a member of a ship when it was commissioned, you are a plankowner.
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 5:59:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Sigh!

Is that the film that they launched a salami out of the torpedo tube on the mini sub?
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 6:00:54 AM EDT
[#22]
For my Father...

USS Letye

USS Tarawa

USS Lake Champlain

USS Wasp

He served on all four as well as some TDY on HMCS Bonaventure to help with their S2F Trackers.

<label class="txtClrDef" for="0">HMCS Bonaventure

</label>

He was assigned to VS32 Sea Control - The Maulers

Link Posted: 4/20/2011 6:19:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z277/ohiohunter55/USSShreveportLPD12Mothballed.jpg

That was my dad's ship. I don't know what specific year or years he was on it, but I know he was in the service from '73-'77. Small world.
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 6:29:23 AM EDT
[#24]
USS Nimitz  CVN-68

VAW-124 Bear Aces

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 9:01:45 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z277/ohiohunter55/USSShreveportLPD12Mothballed.jpg

That was my dad's ship. I don't know what specific year or years he was on it, but I know he was in the service from '73-'77. Small world.

Jan 81 to July 84 for me

Link Posted: 4/20/2011 9:09:03 AM EDT
[#26]

DD-968
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 9:46:45 AM EDT
[#27]

The USS Taylor, FFG50
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 9:48:51 AM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 4/20/2011 9:59:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I was a kid someday I wanted to be an officer on a Spruance class. Then not only did I get medically disqualified but they went and threw those ships away.

The first warship I ever set foot on was a Spruance-class DD, the USS Kinkaid (DD-965).  She was SINKEXed.  It was also my uncle's last ship (he was on a Newport-class LST, the Bristol County, before that; she's now in the Royal Moroccan Navy I believe).  I got to take home a spent powder casing for the aft 5-inch gun (sadly my father threw it away shortly after I went to college); they fired both against towed targets as a demonstration.  Also the first time I ever went in the engine room of a ship of any sort.

I also went on for a day at sea on the USS Constellation (CV-64) and the USS Boxer (LHD-4) with the Boy Scouts and NJROTC, respectively.  The latter ship was the most depressing ship I've ever been on.  I would not have been surprised if half the crew had tried to slit their wrists, jump overboard, or hang themselves and it was the filthiest ship, naval, merchant, or otherwise, that I have ever been on.

I've also been on the USS Rentz (FFG-46) for two weeks when I was in NJROTC.  Got to fire a .50-caliber machine gun for the first time on that ship.

When I was in NROTC my first year in college we got to go for a weekend to Rhode Island and did some training on board small craft (I think they were PBIs, but I forget; they were armed with one machine gun, either an M-60 or M-2).

I've also been on a non-USN (former USN, though) ship, the TS Golden Bear, for two months at sea as well as for short cruises including day cruises (like during Fleet Week) and also plenty of watches in port (deck and engine); she used to be the USNS Maury (T-AGS-39).  We're going to have Internet on the next cruise I go on, thankfully.  They installed some sort of communications array that allows for that.  I'm not sure what I'll go on for my commercial cruise when that comes around.

The Maury and Tanner were awful ships when they were commissioned. They had tons and tons of issues. They didn't stay in commission for very long. When I was about to get out of the Navy, my CO threatened to make me fly over to Japan and ride one of those ships back across the Pacific because they were short on Survey Supervisors. I was honestly pretty scared that I'd have to do it. They'd had several major fire and mechanical casualties. They had somehow brought her to Japan to patch her up after a severe casualty, and then were going to sail back to the US for a major overhaul. Those ships were built at the Bethlehem Steel and Shipbuilding Co. in Dundalk, Maryland. That place looked like absolute hell. The yard was literally falling apart. The workers and  workmanship sucked ass. I went there on the USS Canopus for a 90 day overhaul. At the end of ~5 months, the CO ordered the ship towed away from the pier, dropped anchor. Ship's crew made the necessary repairs to make the ship ready for sea. They made the Bethlehem guys travel to Kings Bay to finish the contracted repairs. Fortunately for me, I had transferred off by this time to the USNS Hess (T-AGS 38), but my future bride was still on the Canopus. They spent 5 months on the ship in the winter w/ no steam for most of the time. At least nobody was shooting at us.

There was a Senator from Maryland who got the Navy to swing the contracts for the Maury and Tanner to Bethlehem against the Navy's wishes. Same thing happened to the Canopus. We were told that there was a yard in Jacksonville Fl that had won the bid, only to have it yanked and handed to Bethlehem. Keep in mind the Canopus was stationed in Kings Bay, GA at the time, so it would have been cheaper for the Navy and better for the crew to go to Jax. As an added bonus, we got to ride out Hurricane Hugo on the way to the yards. That was fun.

Didn't know that about that class of ships.  The ex-Maury doesn't have such severe issues anymore, I can say that much.  They of course ripped out all of the survey equipment and some other equipment (the computer racks are still there, though) and also changed the screws.  I'm not sur what other changes were made.

Glad they got the issues straightened out. Probably cost more than the original cost of the ships.

I went to A and C schools in Mare Island. That place has some pretty interesting history.

That place is a ghost town.  I went there to check it out.  There are some people living in the officer's houses and some businesses in the hangar buildings but that's about it.  It's also amazing the kind of things the Navy just abandoned.  Vallejo as a whole has really turned to shit since they closed Mare Island down.  They did have an LPH there, the USS New Orleans, for a little while, I'm not sure why.  She went back to the MARAD fleet in Suisun Bay.  Not sure if she's still there at this point.  Probably scrapped or sunk by now.
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 10:11:17 AM EDT
[#30]

I was on there as well, '89-'93, WEPS and AIMD.

My brother was in a number of Squadrons, never ships company, my dad was on U.S.S. Chilton, APA-38

Link Posted: 4/20/2011 11:20:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Ok...you asked for it...

USS Yorktown (CVS 10)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/LWilde/Yorktown-1.jpg

USS John Paul Jones (DDG 32)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/LWilde/jpj32.jpg

USS Dupont (DD 941)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/LWilde/DD941.jpg

USS Joseph Strauss (DDG 16)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/LWilde/USS_Joseph_Strauss_DDG-16-1.jpg

USS Richard S. Edwards (DD 950)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/LWilde/DD950.jpg

USS Goldsborough (DDG 20)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/LWilde/DDG-20.jpg

USS Fletcher (DD 992)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/LWilde/DD992-1.jpg

I actually had a couple of shore tours mixed in there too!  

FTR, they are all either razor blades or sunk as targets with the exception of my first ship.  Ex-Yorktown is a museum in Charleston, SC.

Razor blades and targets...  Are you sure a few didn't get made into toothpicks and stage curtains?
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 4:29:22 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you were a member of a ship when it was commissioned, you are a plankowner.

This.  The first crew at the time of commissioning.  Historically, those plankowners who are still alive at the time the ship is decommissioned are entitled to a piece of the ship, ie a deck plank.  Also, onboard Naval vessels, when the ships commanding officer or other commanding officers and general officers or admirals board or leave the ship the ships bell is rung over the 1MC (general announcing system) and they're announced coming aboard or going ashore.  When a Plankowner departs the ship for the last time on their tour, they too are "rung off".  Just some tradition that's carried on.

Link Posted: 4/20/2011 4:33:35 PM EDT
[#33]
I had ten days on the JFK back in '91 right before I transfered to VR.

I retired in '09, here is my last flight.

Link Posted: 4/20/2011 5:23:19 PM EDT
[#34]
My first ship.  USS Independence CVA 62.  I was a plankowner.

From there I went to USS Enterprise CVA (N) 64. Also a plank owner.

Then I went to the West Coast and USS Bon Homme Richard CVA 31.  What a differance.

After some shore duty I went to VA 146, The world famous Blue Diamonds

Where we rode USS Constellation CVA 64 as part of CAG  Nine.

Link Posted: 4/20/2011 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok...you asked for it...

USS Yorktown (CVS 10)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/LWilde/Yorktown-1.jpg

USS John Paul Jones (DDG 32)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/LWilde/jpj32.jpg

USS Dupont (DD 941)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/LWilde/DD941.jpg

USS Joseph Strauss (DDG 16)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/LWilde/USS_Joseph_Strauss_DDG-16-1.jpg

USS Richard S. Edwards (DD 950)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/LWilde/DD950.jpg

USS Goldsborough (DDG 20)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/LWilde/DDG-20.jpg

USS Fletcher (DD 992)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/LWilde/DD992-1.jpg

I actually had a couple of shore tours mixed in there too!  

FTR, they are all either razor blades or sunk as targets with the exception of my first ship.  Ex-Yorktown is a museum in Charleston, SC.

Razor blades and targets...  Are you sure a few didn't get made into toothpicks and stage curtains?
Yea?  Bite me!

Link Posted: 4/20/2011 6:30:23 PM EDT
[#36]
USS Frank Cable AS40

Link Posted: 4/20/2011 6:39:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:
OPSEC :) I don't like being identifiable. I'm a spook

????????

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0903/uss-obama-demotivational-poster-1237301908.jpg

Here is the real USS Barry Hussein Obama:

Link Posted: 4/20/2011 6:45:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Not a sailor but I was on these two ships

USS Essex

USS Juneau
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 8:38:00 PM EDT
[#39]
I have the CO's and XO's coffee cups off of the USS Sacramento.

Don't piss off a bunch of HTs and then leave your coffee cups down in the hole.
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 8:47:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Sorry for my Naval ignorance, but what is a plankowner?
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 8:52:35 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

A "plank owner" is an individual who was a member of the crew of a ship when that ship was placed in commission.

Link Posted: 4/20/2011 8:54:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:

A "plank owner" is an individual who was a member of the crew of a ship when that ship was placed in commission.

Appreciate it. Thanks
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 8:57:12 PM EDT
[#43]

NavHosp Balboa...
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 9:18:45 PM EDT
[#44]
I have not-so-fond memories of getting my head stitched up there.
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 10:03:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Appreciate it. Thanks

And as such, rate two bells, and a 1MC announcement "Plankowner, Arriving".  
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 10:26:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:............When a Plankowner departs the ship for the last time on their tour, they too are "rung off".  Just some tradition that's carried on.  

Doesn't only happen to plankowners; on one of my ships, they did it for officers leaving for the last time.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Sigh!

Is that the film that they launched a salami out of the torpedo tube on the mini sub?

I think so.....but it was 70's Disney, after all.

Link Posted: 4/20/2011 10:32:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Doesn't only happen to plankowners; on one of my ships, they did it for officers leaving for the last time.

Yes, but that is not typical.  That must have been something that the CO enacted.

Link Posted: 4/20/2011 10:43:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:..........

From there I went to USS Enterprise CVA (N) 64. Also a plank owner.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/Jerrschmitt/Navy/026594.jpg

Then I went to the West Coast and USS Bon Homme Richard CVA 31.  What a differance.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/Jerrschmitt/Navy/BonnyDick.jpg

By difference, what do you mean? East Coast vs West Coast Navy? Post WW II construction vs WW II Construction? More funding?  Differences of aircraft to the ship? Something else?
("The first vessel that I served on as captain was called Stargazer. It was an overworked, underpowered vessel, always on the verge of flying apart at the seams."––Picard to Scotty, (w,stte), ST:TNG "Relics")
Link Posted: 4/21/2011 12:48:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
USS CARDINAL MHC-60 (MINE SWEEPER) WIKI LINK

This pic is from WIKI, that's me on the focsle, in the yellow hard hat.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1f/USS_Cardinal_(MHC-60).jpg

My babies
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=22518

I was on the Nimitz in 03 i saw your ship in Bahrain a few times.
Link Posted: 4/21/2011 2:38:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
the only "ship" I sailed on during my time in the navy was this or one of her sisters..
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4128/4831817333_6a361c658a.jpg

Same here - I was a "P3 Sailor". (Aviation Machinist's Mate 3rd, '82 - '86.)

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top