Yes
Your govt at work
Never should have bought them
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
So does this mean they are going to mothball perfectly new aircraft?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Yes
Your govt at work
Never should have bought them

No. It does not. I suggest educating yourself on the meaning of BAI status aircraft.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:55:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

You really have a burr under your saddle.

I think you are trying too hard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Of course, the USAF got more C-17s a few years back than they wanted. Arguing the whole time that we had more airlift than we really needed and those big Russian cargo planes would always be available for rent.

So they finally got their way.
its insanity to rely on renting russian services for our military operations.  'we dont need no new cargo planes... ' ..has to use russian services to make up for lack of logistics capacity.

remember, the AF is sooooooooooooooo good, that even after we pay for the planes, pilots, maintainers and facilities its still cheaper to outsource.

only ones professunal enough or some such thing.

How many dead soldiers before  you give a shit?

I mean, should I not try hard?  Or just go, "fuck it, they were too dumb to join the AF anyway so maybe their deaths aren't a big deal?"
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:09:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:11:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I mean, should I not try hard?  Or just go, "fuck it, they were too dumb to join the AF anyway so maybe their deaths aren't a big deal?"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Of course, the USAF got more C-17s a few years back than they wanted. Arguing the whole time that we had more airlift than we really needed and those big Russian cargo planes would always be available for rent.

So they finally got their way.
its insanity to rely on renting russian services for our military operations.  'we dont need no new cargo planes... ' ..has to use russian services to make up for lack of logistics capacity.

remember, the AF is sooooooooooooooo good, that even after we pay for the planes, pilots, maintainers and facilities its still cheaper to outsource.

only ones professunal enough or some such thing.

What the actual FUCK?

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:14:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You, sir, have stepped over the line, suggested I do not care about dead soldiers.  I can't see where I have ever given a hint toward such a position.  

This was, was, a discussion about deactivating a couple of C-17 squadrons.  In the process of hijacking it for your agenda, righteous as it may be, you failed to signal your turn toward a different topic.

You have a thing for epic rants against the Air Force.  At times your passion, albeit eloquent, seems to leave reason behind.  So the AF has a lot of bureaucrats in the upper ranks.  I recognized that as a lowly, ignorant Enlisted man.  I'm trying, honestly, to see the connection between USAF manning cuts (the thread topic) and what you just posted.  

I've seen that whenever there is a thread that mentions the USAF you will be there to criticize.  That's fine, as we all support your right to do so.  However, with your approach I don't think you are winning many converts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You, sir, have stepped over the line, suggested I do not care about dead soldiers.  I can't see where I have ever given a hint toward such a position.  

This was, was, a discussion about deactivating a couple of C-17 squadrons.  In the process of hijacking it for your agenda, righteous as it may be, you failed to signal your turn toward a different topic.

You have a thing for epic rants against the Air Force.  At times your passion, albeit eloquent, seems to leave reason behind.  So the AF has a lot of bureaucrats in the upper ranks.  I recognized that as a lowly, ignorant Enlisted man.  I'm trying, honestly, to see the connection between USAF manning cuts (the thread topic) and what you just posted.  

I've seen that whenever there is a thread that mentions the USAF you will be there to criticize.  That's fine, as we all support your right to do so.  However, with your approach I don't think you are winning many converts.

I have won lots, actually.  But thats irrelevent.

the AF is systematically flawed.  
to the C17 example, we spend training dollars to contract civilian air to go to training areas because using C17s is too expensive.  That money directly taken out of training budget.  On the other hand, unlimited hours for airshows are utilized (getting a crew killed which I watched first hand, btw.)

AF was created to wield the nation's nuclear deterrence.  A mission they don't care about.  and they take a doctrine for nuclear warfare and apply it to everything.  They buy transportation aircraft in the name of "joint" when its the Army who is supposed to be the beneficiary.  TRANSCOM is always commanded by an AF officer.  Why?  90% of our shit moves by ship anyway.  The AF is incessantly turning down transportation requests and then cries they, "have too much airlift!"  how much did we spend on contracted russian antonovs in AFghainstan alone?

To the point of this thread, I noted how one wing, with 8 tails, has 6 colonels assigned.  thats money wasted as a taxpayer.

You ask if I have a burr under my saddle?  You're damned right I do.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:25:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I thought you retired from that?

Did you go back in?

Dude, beating up your kid in a BFM fight, when he has never seen one before is counter productive. Set up some BFM setups so he can see the picture of some basic maneuvers, you know, tape a beer can to the top of the canopy. and show him what it should look like. That picture is the hardest thing to recognize when you are all by yourself looking at something you have never seen before. while trying to stay awake for it. You have the ability to show it to him so he understands rate and radius and canopy bow pictures.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The sad part is my son is coming up on assignment night.  He was one of 2 selected in his class of 18 to be assigned the T-38C track vs T1 track.  Basically he  is guaranteed a fighter.....3rd gen fighter pilot.  I normally would be ecstatic but the future of the .mil looks kinda grim with the asspipes running the show.  I pray to God everyday our country recovers.......

He is home for the break and I have a couple of WSTs ($10 million dollar full 360 deg simulators) set up to link together to fly some advanced formation.  He will finally get some decent instruction on how to properly fly formation like a fighter pilot.  He is at Vance and i am an IP at ENJJPT  At the end i have a BFM profile set up for him.....he will start on offense but will be defensive after 135 degrees of turn  Baby seal........club......

I thought you retired from that?

Did you go back in?

Dude, beating up your kid in a BFM fight, when he has never seen one before is counter productive. Set up some BFM setups so he can see the picture of some basic maneuvers, you know, tape a beer can to the top of the canopy. and show him what it should look like. That picture is the hardest thing to recognize when you are all by yourself looking at something you have never seen before. while trying to stay awake for it. You have the ability to show it to him so he understands rate and radius and canopy bow pictures.
Still a Sim IP since i retired from the real thing.

I was joking about the clubbing him.....

Plan on doing a bunch of guns tracking exercises then into Heat to Guns exercises.  The heat to guns is a good intro to offensive BFM
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:28:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

to the C17 example, we spend training dollars to contract civilian air to go to training areas because using C17s is too expensive.  That money directly taken out of training budget.  On the other hand, unlimited hours for airshows are utilized (getting a crew killed which I watched first hand, btw.)

AF was created to wield the nation's nuclear deterrence.  A mission they don't care about.  and they take a doctrine for nuclear warfare and apply it to everything.  They buy transportation aircraft in the name of "joint" when its the Army who is supposed to be the beneficiary.  TRANSCOM is always commanded by an AF officer.  Why?  90% of our shit moves by ship anyway.  The AF is incessantly turning down transportation requests and then cries they, "have too much airlift!"  how much did we spend on contracted russian antonovs in AFghainstan alone?

To the point of this thread, I noted how one wing, with 8 tails, has 6 colonels assigned.  thats money wasted as a taxpayer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your rants may be better suited for a letter to your Congressman?

Seriously, you're preaching to the choir here... Who do you think better knows the wasteful and downright moronic appropriation of funds in the military? Actual military members.

I do applaud your crusade as the AF fraud, waste and abuse White Knight.

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:30:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Seriously, you're preaching to the choir here... Who do you think better knows the wasteful and downright moronic appropriation of funds in the military? Actual military members.

View Quote

Its getting people killed.

I really am shocked how little that matters.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:35:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:38:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It absolutely does matter... At least to the people in the field. The guys in the Pentagon maybe? Not so much.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:38:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do you have any statistics to back up your belief that the Air Force has too many colonels because one guard unit near you appears to you to be too heavy?  The 10 USC 12005 shows the Army is authorized a higher percentage of O6 and O5 billets.

And also you really shouldn't compare in any meaningful way the command of 22,500 pound cargo aircraft to 300,000+ pound aircraft with support elements and mission requirements that the little one doesn't just because they are all grey and there's the same number of them.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:45:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Do you have any statistics to back up your belief that the Air Force has too many colonels because one guard unit near you appears to you to be too heavy?  The 10 USC 12005 shows the Army is authorized a higher percentage of O6 and O5 billets.

And also you really shouldn't compare in any meaningful way the command of 22,500 pound cargo aircraft to 300,000+ pound aircraft with support elements and mission requirements that the little one doesn't just because they are all grey and there's the same number of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

separate O5 from O6.  It has always seemed to me that in Joint commands, AF has a thousand O6s running around but few O5s.  
In my J-shop we have an AF 2 star, AF 1 Star, 1 army O6, 12 (I think) army 05s and 2 AF O5s.  The other shops have generally 1/2 O6s but 80% army O5s.

So 8 frames need 6 O6s in order to operate?  It has to be an O6 Opso, 06 vice, O6 commander, O6 doctor?  really.  airpower shuts down in the absence of that level of experience?  Or is it simply that the first taste of leadership for a pilot generally comes 16 years after commissioning?

The comparison is that from 22 years old, an army officer is in a leadership position, even a pilot.  Now, far be it from me to say army aviation does everything right.   But take a battalion of blackhawks.  30 airframes and about 300 dudes.  One O5, two O4s, and about 10 Captains.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:52:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Its almost as if some people study their profession beyond their narrow band of requirements.

And some people don't.

we could limit the discussion to people who have been published in Air and Space Power Journal on joint aviation doctrine.  But it would be a lonely thread, wouldn't it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lulz.

butthurt quasi-military showing up.

taxpayers are the ones getting trolled.
I won't disagree the taxpayers are being trolled.  The difference here is I don't profess to be an expert on things I have no direct experience with or knowledge of..ya know like other than that one time I saw an airplane fly over from my desk..or *gasp* that time I actually got to touch one other than being happily dumped out the back by the aircrew.  But then it just wouldn't be any fun throwing out my biases to others in GD even less informed than me if there was cred in any of it.  

By all means carry on though- it is amusing at times.. But thats about it.

Its almost as if some people study their profession beyond their narrow band of requirements.

And some people don't.

we could limit the discussion to people who have been published in Air and Space Power Journal on joint aviation doctrine.  But it would be a lonely thread, wouldn't it?

You sound a lot like this guy

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:56:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
separate O5 from O6.  It has always seemed to me that in Joint commands, AF has a thousand O6s running around but few O5s.  
In my J-shop we have an AF 2 star, AF 1 Star, 1 army O6, 12 (I think) army 05s and 2 AF O5s.  The other shops have generally 1/2 O6s but 80% army O5s.

So 8 frames need 6 O6s in order to operate?  It has to be an O6 Opso, 06 vice, O6 commander, O6 doctor?  really.  airpower shuts down in the absence of that level of experience?  Or is it simply that the first taste of leadership for a pilot generally comes 16 years after commissioning?

The comparison is that from 22 years old, an army officer is in a leadership position, even a pilot.  Now, far be it from me to say army aviation does everything right.   But take a battalion of blackhawks.  30 airframes and about 300 dudes.  One O5, two O4s, and about 10 Captains.
View Quote

I too believe that the Air Force has made a fundamental error by choosing to eliminate warrant officers.  But that doesn't change the table below:

Grade              Army percentage    Air Force percentage
Colonel            2                              1.8
Lt colonel         6                              4.6

As for the "would it fail if" the same question could be asked about the Army.  Would the 1AD fail if it were only commanded by a brigadier general rather than a major general?
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:56:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6CIcoot1sM
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lulz.

I won't disagree the taxpayers are being trolled.  The difference here is I don't profess to be an expert on things I have no direct experience with or knowledge of..ya know like other than that one time I saw an airplane fly over from my desk..or *gasp* that time I actually got to touch one other than being happily dumped out the back by the aircrew.  But then it just wouldn't be any fun throwing out my biases to others in GD even less informed than me if there was cred in any of it.  

And some people don't.

you strike me a lot like the guy in your avatar (the one on the right)

the primary difference being you chose it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 2:00:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I too believe that the Air Force has made a fundamental error by choosing to eliminate warrant officers.  But that doesn't change the table below:

As for the "would it fail if" the same question could be asked about the Army.  Would the 1AD fail if it were only commanded by a brigadier general rather than a major general?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  But 2 stars commanding a division is hardly exceptional.  That dates to the creation of the division and itself to the corps under napoleon.  What would be exception is if the division had 6 Major Generals.  Which is the example I am highlighting here.

what is exceptional about the army rank structure is that the US Army alone commands a brigade with a colonel instead of its namesake rank.

If anything, the army is working hard to push grade inflation down.  Aviation companies used to be commanded by majors.  now its captains.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 2:46:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lulz.

And some people don't.

So your published on joint aviation doctrine, does that mean that you have a background and experience in aviation?  Or does your qualification comes from academia, historical analysis and theory?
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 2:57:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So your published on joint aviation doctrine, does that mean that you have a background and experience in aviation?  Or does your qualification comes from academia, historical analysis and theory?
View Quote

...and combat experience.

But spent three years doing strategic airpower for a full time job.  Never got to fire the missiles, however.  The funny thing about strategic airpower is there is only theory.   The history of airpower and deterrence was born in academia and theoretical discussions.  It would suck to have some actual exchanges.

By your own reasoning, Douhet would be irrelevent to airpower theory discussions, right?

Experience in aviation is a pre-requisite to discuss "airpower?"

Interesting theory.  Hap Arnold, however, disagrees.  Or does his words not qualify to enter the discussion.

“for the last 20 years we have built and run the air force on pilots.  But we can’t do that anymore"

Maybe a CJ degree from bumfuck state should be the prerequisite.  

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 2:59:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lulz.

And some people don't.

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 3:56:59 PM EDT
[#20]
OP Request
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top