Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/6/2022 4:07:46 PM EDT

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2022/02/the-epa-and-white-house-take-fire-at-inefficient-new-mail-trucks/?amp=1

The United States Post Office's plan to replace its aging delivery vehicles has been heavily criticized by the Environmental Protection Agency and the White House Council on Environmental Quality. The letters, first published by The Washington Post on Tuesday, excoriate the decision to award a $482 million contract to Oshkosh Defense without properly examining the environmental impact, as required by law.

Specifically, the EPA says that the USPS's required environmental impact report "does not disclose essential information underlying the key analysis of Total Cost of Ownership (TCO), underestimates greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, fails to consider more environmentally protective feasible alternatives, and inadequately considers impacts on communities with environmental justice concerns."

Or, as the Chair of the CEQ wrote in a letter to Postmaster Louis DeJoy, his "agency committed to walk down a path before looking to see where the path was leading," in contravention of longstanding practices and laws.

When the USPS first announced the contract with Oshkosh in February 2021, it said the plan was to purchase between 50,000 and 160,000 Next Generation Delivery Vehicles. These, we were told, would be a mixed fleet. Some battery-electric vehicles, others using "fuel-efficient internal combustion engines" with an ability to be converted at a later date, "to keep pace with advances in electric vehicle technology," it said.

Within a few hours, expectations were significantly downgraded with the clarification that only 10 percent of the planned NGDVs would be electric, but the EPA says things are even worse than that. Oshkosh's proposed vehicle will only average 8.6 mpg (27.35 L/100 km) according to the EPA, a barely noticeable improvement on the current Grumman-made LLV trucks, which average 8.2 mpg (28.68 L/100 km). And there is no plan to convert any internal combustion-engined NGDVs to battery electric.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:12:14 PM EDT
[#1]
That is the ugliest deliverly vehicle ever.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:12:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you want your mail or do you want your delivery vehicle sitting on a charger?  That MPG number is low due to stops every 100 yards. That is a nice improvement and reduction in fuel cost
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:14:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I think it looks pretty good.  More space for packages and a much better work area for the driver.  It's not meant to be a show car, it is a purpose built work vehicle.

Kind of surprised the mileage is so low.  Hopefully the tradeoff will be a reliable drivetrain.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:14:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Nothing moar ph*cked up that dawt.gub.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:14:41 PM EDT
[#5]
My 71 Blazer on 44s got 8mpg.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:15:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Bring back the Jeeps.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:16:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you want your mail or do you want your delivery vehicle sitting on a charger?  That MPG number is low due to stops every 100 yards. That is a nice improvement and reduction in fuel cost
View Quote

Isn't that what hybrids are designed for?
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:16:23 PM EDT
[#8]
From 10 whole minutes spent educating myself:

The current trucks get 10 mpg (real world) 8.2mpg, have less cargo capacity for packages (which is increasingly a larger share of mail volume) and doesn't even have AC.

The new trucks carry more packages, have room to stand up and work in the back, have AC, etc. All that at 8.6 mpg, which is an improvement over the current vehicle. I bet if you figured out the 'fuel efficiency per delivered package', it'd look even better given that they carry more / less trips. Seems like a no brainer really. Libs mad because they're not EVs
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:16:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Why are defense companies the ones with the contracts?
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:17:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I think it looks pretty good.  More space for packages and a much better work area for the driver.  It's not meant to be a show car, it is a purpose built work vehicle.

Kind of surprised the mileage is so low.  Hopefully the tradeoff will be a reliable drivetrain.
View Quote

Consider the use. They are cinstant stop and go. I’d bet most gas engine vehicles driven like. A postal vehicle would be as bad. They also leave quickly… meaning ‘gas pedal to the floor’ when leaving some stops based on the road they are in and being able to get up to needed traffic speed.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:18:34 PM EDT
[#11]
That truck took quite a beating from the ugly stick
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:19:37 PM EDT
[#12]
My USPS driver literally floors it to get to the next house 100 feet away. Last week the damn thing burned up. That's probably where the bad MPG is coming from.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:20:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Environmental justice
Fuck outta here
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:21:03 PM EDT
[#14]
then CAFE standards for the rest of us should be 8.6 MPG
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:21:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Better than government motors, right?
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:21:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, a hybrid would have been perfect for this application.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:21:36 PM EDT
[#17]

A buddy in HS had one back in 1988-90.  We'd drive around in it all the time.  

The slide door latch was broken on my side.  For shits and giggles, I'd undo the safety wire holding it shut in stop-and-go traffic.  Funny the shit that teens get a kick out of, but it was fun.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:21:39 PM EDT
[#18]
All they do is stop and start... but that's ugly AF
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:23:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I would think a mail truck would be a nearly ideal application for hybrid/electric/regen brakes.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:24:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:25:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Consider the use. They are cinstant stop and go. I’d bet most gas engine vehicles driven like. A postal vehicle would be as bad. They also leave quickly… meaning ‘gas pedal to the floor’ when leaving some stops based on the road they are in and being able to get up to needed traffic speed.
View Quote

This. I drove LLVs 5-6 days a week for almost a decade. Rarely did I ever leave neighborhood streets. Start-stop-start-start.... and yes, we drove 'em like we stole them. Fuel efficiency was  never a consideration.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:27:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm cancelling my Ferrari SF90 order and picking one of these new USPS trucks up.  

#pantydropperfosure
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:27:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your typical mail truck of that size does a TON of stop and go driving, and a BUNCH of idling thrown in.  Under those driving conditions, I would NOT expect fuel economy to be very good.   Here in my area, the average mail truck drives about 1/4 mile, then stops for 15 minutes to offload mail into a mailbox cluster, and then repeats the same cycle in another 1/4 mile.

In the more rural areas, the distance between mailbox stops may actually be SHORTER, with single boxes being spaced out 200 yards, and stops being only 2 minutes or so.

Under those kind of driving cycles, what would a reasonable person expect?

You want electric?   Keep in mind that DOZENS of these machines would need to be recharged EVERY DAY to meet the drive cycles they would see.   That's a pretty big investment in infrastructure at each Post Office, and it has to be there BEFORE the new trucks arrive.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:28:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
From 10 whole minutes spent educating myself:

The current trucks get 10 mpg (real world) 8.2mpg, have less cargo capacity for packages (which is increasingly a larger share of mail volume) and doesn't even have AC.

The new trucks carry more packages, have room to stand up and work in the back, have AC, etc. All that at 8.6 mpg, which is an improvement over the current vehicle. I bet if you figured out the 'fuel efficiency per delivered package', it'd look even better given that they carry more / less trips. Seems like a no brainer really. Libs mad because they're not EVs
View Quote
Only thing that stands out as a problem is that windshield smacking every branch and rock out there.  

I hope they go electric, can you imagine the sheer cost of that stupidity?!
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:30:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:30:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Correct.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct.
Is there a hybrid drivetrain in commercial use?
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:32:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Last ones had a chevy s10 drive train in them. 2.2 4cyl and a stock transmission. Engines were fine but transmissions fried daily.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:34:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

While stopping and accelerating every 25 yards?
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:34:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Do you want less mail delivery per day?  Because that's how you get less mail delivery per day.
Quoted:

View Quote
Didn't see hybrids listed; in other articles on the topic, the USPS has replied that it has a legal mandate to be self sufficient for funding, and cannot afford EV infrastructure on a wide scale basis.  Though I would imagine the 10% EV will be utilized well in super dense urban areas with the charging infrastructure, leaving the better mail truck to make more deliveries per sortie, resulting in economic quantities of scale worth of efficiency.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:36:53 PM EDT
[#30]
I get the constant stop-go-idle will lead to poor fuel economy, so whatever.

What can this do better than say an upfitted Ford Transit or Ram Cargomaster for the same role?

Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:40:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Perfect application for an electric vehicle.   Known daily range....charge at night.

Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:40:41 PM EDT
[#32]
If Daffy Duck's head had wheels.

Weird.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:43:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you told a Ford VP your bid for a USPS mail vehicle would never make more than 6% profit and you'd have to open the business unit's books to a fiscal audit, you'd be fired for wasting his time. Defense contractors know how the game is played.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:46:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Fuck, Take a US built Toyota Camry or Tacoma and put that box body on it.  Fucking done!
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:48:22 PM EDT
[#35]

Holy shit
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:48:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Bet your vehicle wouldn’t get that if you drove a standard mail delivery route.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:49:18 PM EDT
[#37]
The fuck is that thing?
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:50:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Do you want less mail delivery per day?  Because that's how you get less mail delivery per day.
Didn't see hybrids listed; in other articles on the topic, the USPS has replied that it has a legal mandate to be self sufficient for funding, and cannot afford EV infrastructure on a wide scale basis.  Though I would imagine the 10% EV will be utilized well in super dense urban areas with the charging infrastructure, leaving the better mail truck to make more deliveries per sortie, resulting in economic quantities of scale worth of efficiency.
View Quote
That's why hybrids would have actually made sense. Let the torque of the electric motor do most of the work under hard acceleration and regenerative braking then a gas engine for long distance travel or when even more power is needed. No charging infrastructure needed.

It's like the government tries to be as incompetent as possible though. So that tarded looking truck certainly fits.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:54:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Think of the savings -  they won’t even need to hold a naming contest for the vehicle, because it names itself:

“Ugly McUglyFace”

Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:55:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Honestly, mail trucks are one of those things where an electric is going to be useful. Solar panel the top. Start/stop doesn't matter to Electric engines.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:57:16 PM EDT
[#41]
That has to be an expensive windshield.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:58:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did it have to stop and go every 20 feet also?
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:59:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Perfect application for an electric vehicle.   Known daily range....charge at night.

View Quote

Massive increase in infrastructure cost. And it has to be done before the trucks arrive
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 5:02:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
My USPS driver literally floors it to get to the next house 100 feet away.
View Quote
So does mine
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 5:06:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
That's why hybrids would have actually made sense. Let the torque of the electric motor do most of the work under hard acceleration and regenerative braking then a gas engine for long distance travel or when even more power is needed. No charging infrastructure needed.

It's like the government tries to be as incompetent as possible though. So that tarded looking truck certainly fits.
View Quote

Yeah, hybrid seems ideal.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 5:07:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Knock the wheels off the damn thing and you have yourself a greenhouse
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 5:08:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Is there a hybrid drivetrain in commercial use?
View Quote

Not sure about that, but if there were an ideal application for one, this would be it.

Joint venture with Amazon, et al? I mean, they’re all about environmental-social equity, right?
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 5:08:32 PM EDT
[#48]

Subcontractors in RH drive Wranglers around here. "Real" USPS trucks can't even drive down some of the roads, let alone get to mailboxes.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 5:09:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Designed by Homer Simpson.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 5:10:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top