User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 10:08:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not a teak fan?
That teak on the deck of the Iowa is pretty cool.
Google it,
View Quote
Are you being a troll or are you just
Did you bother to read my posts?
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 10:09:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not a teak fan?
Google it,
Lighten up, Francis. I think there's some levity to be had with teak.

Which reminds me, I need to go back to see The North Carolina soon.

Question: how was the plane affixed to the ship when at sea? That stand in the picture doesn't look very secure.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 10:16:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 10:18:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not a teak fan?
Google it,
You’ve posted in this thread before?

Huh, I’ll go back and look.

Meanwhile, how about that teak deck on the Iowa?  Cool stuff.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 10:29:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Wasp was already hit and burning before O'Brien was hit by torpedoes fired by the same sub.  IIRC, O'Brien was about 2000 yards beyond Wasp and struck by a torpedo aimed at Wasp.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool family story that had been uncorroborated until I toured that ship in '01.
My uncle had been shot down in an action (at that time no one in my family knew WHERE), and picked up by a destroyer-the O'Brian.
This destroyer was hit by a Japanese torpedo, and back in the water he went.
Picked up by rescuers from a carrier-the Wasp, and back in the water he went AGAIN as it had also been hit and they had to abandon.
Everyone in my family had always been "cool story", but of course it had to have been embellished, right?
So there I am, on the NC, and I read on one of the exhibits about action off this little island called Guadalcanal.
Japanese sub fired a spread of 6 at long range-one hit a destroyer called....the O'Brian.
Three hit a carrier called...the Wasp.
One hit the North Carolina.
It was really a cool moment to stand on that deck and realize that he very likely saw the hit on the ship I was standing on.

Nick
Wasp was already hit and burning before O'Brien was hit by torpedoes fired by the same sub.  IIRC, O'Brien was about 2000 yards beyond Wasp and struck by a torpedo aimed at Wasp.  
Could have been reverse order from the way it was related to me.
Regardless, poor guy was swimming 3 times in a 2 hour span of time.
Surprised that anyone would have picked him up after that-bad luck!

Nick
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 10:41:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I have toured the  North Carolina, Wisconsin, and Missouri.  All are pure awesomeness.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 5:30:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I went aboard the USS Missouri when she was still in mothballs in Bremerton WA back in the early '70s.  In 1980, I was able to see the USS Alabama in Mobile, AL.  in 2005, I took the wife and boys to see the USS NC in Wilmington.

With the AL and NC, you could go below deck and inside the turrets.  The AL had racks of M1 rifles in some of the passageways.  They were probably welded up but I remember the metal was painted black on all of them (probably a good thing since they weren't PMCS'd individually and the paint would inhibit corrosion in the salt air.

Back when I saw the MO, she was all sealed up and you could tour the deck and that was about it.

Love those old ships.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 5:39:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Anyone know just how many battleships are now museums.  I know of the Missouri, Iowa, New Jersey, Texas, & North Carolina.  Any others?

USS Iowa forward turret.
https://i.imgur.com/ud5CTO0.jpg
View Quote
Alabama. and a pre-dreadnaught in Japan.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 5:45:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The thought process in using the 16" guns for air defense was as protection against torpedo planes.  Using the guns at their lowest elevation to throw shells into the water in front of the incoming places.  If they hit that wall of water it would destroy them.  The problem being the US battleships operated near the carriers in the center of the fleet and skipping 16" shells across the water was not a viable option.

As to the "pretty" shells, the Japanese used color to distinguish which guns fired what shells.  It was used to track effectiveness of individual guns and help correct firing solutions.
View Quote
Not in this case.  The IJN anti-air battleship round was packed with incendiary sub-munitions.  When they were fired, it probably looked like a whole 4th of July show all at once.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 5:46:45 AM EDT
[#10]
So the teak deck was replaced with plywood because they couldn't get teak due to WW2?
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 9:54:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I went aboard the USS Missouri when she was still in mothballs in Bremerton WA back in the early '70s.  In 1980, I was able to see the USS Alabama in Mobile, AL.  in 2005, I took the wife and boys to see the USS NC in Wilmington.

With the AL and NC, you could go below deck and inside the turrets.  The AL had racks of M1 rifles in some of the passageways.  They were probably welded up but I remember the metal was painted black on all of them (probably a good thing since they weren't PMCS'd individually and the paint would inhibit corrosion in the salt air.

Back when I saw the MO, she was all sealed up and you could tour the deck and that was about it.

Love those old ships.
View Quote
If you go through all the below decks and superstructure you will get one hell of a lower body workout on the USS Alabama. Go in the summer like another poster mentioned and you'll probably shed a few pounds in water weight lol.

The USS Drum SS-228 is also on display there, along with a pretty long list of aircraft. https://www.ussalabama.com/explore/aircraft/
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 10:00:51 AM EDT
[#12]
I toured the North Carolina a couple of years ago.

Ironic piece of trivia:  They've turned one of the cabins on the main deck into office space, and they have one of those mini split air conditioners installed.

It's made by Mitsubishi.

Circle of life.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 10:27:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Does anyone have info on the restoration?

Earlier it was stated that they were going to build a coffer dam so that they could do hull work.

Have they started?

Anyone know when they will start?
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 10:36:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Does anyone have info on the restoration?

Earlier it was stated that they were going to build a coffer dam so that they could do hull work.

Have they started?

Anyone know when they will start?
View Quote
Did some digging online. The cofferdam is getting near completion and should be done in a few months. Search uss North Carolina cofferdam on Google
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 1:31:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Did some digging online. The cofferdam is getting near completion and should be done in a few months. Search uss North Carolina cofferdam on Google
View Quote
Thanks for the info.  Since OP was just there, I thought he might respond.

Looks like we'll have to plan a trip this spring or summer
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 2:19:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Alabama. and a pre-dreadnaught in Japan.
View Quote
Correct, she is the Mikasa.   I was able to visit her a few years ago on a business trip.  Amazing how quickly battleship technology progressed.  Being on the Mikasa and also on the Missouri, it was light years different.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 2:34:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I visited her and the Yorktown a few years ago.  The Yorktown wasn't doing so hot either back then.  Did they ever get her fixed up?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Patriot point in sc has a submarine, destroyer and aircraft carrier
Unfortunately, the submarine, Clamagore, is in bad shape and they are going to turn it into a reef in Florida.
I was on her in October, her hull is in really bad shape. I was the only one on board, and I heard what sounded like running water and FO'd quickly out of her.
I visited her and the Yorktown a few years ago.  The Yorktown wasn't doing so hot either back then.  Did they ever get her fixed up?
My buddy and I spent the day there about 2 months ago. got on the destroyer and the Yorktown, not enough time to get on the sub, from the Yorktown it looked like deck plates and hull pieces were missing off the sub.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 4:55:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Correct, she is the Mikasa.   I was able to visit her a few years ago on a business trip.  Amazing how quickly battleship technology progressed.  Being on the Mikasa and also on the Missouri, it was light years different.
View Quote
Did you see the Nimitz Memorial at the Mikasa?  During WW II, Nimitz forbade any strike against the Mikasa.  He knew she was a museum ship and of no naval value as a fighting ship.  Post war Nimitz donated money to preserve her and hence the memorial honoring Nimitz.  Here's the twist:  Togo said he felt the spirit of Nelson flowed in his blood.  Nimitiz said that he felt the spirit of Togo flow in his blood.

Link Posted: 11/26/2017 6:17:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Did you see the Nimitz Memorial at the Mikasa?  During WW II, Nimitz forbade any strike against the Mikasa.  He knew she was a museum ship and of no naval value as a fighting ship.  Post war Nimitz donated money to preserve her and hence the memorial honoring Nimitz.  Here's the twist:  Togo said he felt the spirit of Nelson flowed in his blood.  Nimitiz said that he felt the spirit of Togo flow in his blood.

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcnet3.cbsistatic.com%2Fimg%2F0VPlSZu6NobZaa_nLQTq1Mg8ayw%3D%2F1170x0%2F2016%2F07%2F31%2Fb864f752-70db-46af-9703-1bc27aac2098%2Fmikasa-battleship-2.jpg&f=1

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia%2Fcommons%2Fb%2Fbe%2FJapanese_battleship_Mikasa_in_Yokohama.jpg&f=1
View Quote
Interesting, I do not recall seeing the Nimitz memorial.  Where was it at on the ship?   I'll have to look back through my pictures to see if I may have missed it.  There were a few sections I passed through rather quickly since there were some larger lines of people, so I may have walked passed and not realized it.  As far as museum ships I thought it was very well preserved and maintained.  I liked the way some of the action stations had crewmen posed as they would have been when manning their station.  Always interesting to see what it really takes to run a ship like that.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 6:22:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
I wish they would keep digging and prepare space for the Kitty Hawk to be displayed next to the North Carolina.  I've been hearing about the idea of bringing Kitty Hawk to Wilmington for almost 30 years, but it looks like that won't be happening.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 11:20:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never get on the boat in the summer.

Forget cooking an egg, you can char-grill a steak on that hunk of steel in the summer.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top