Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/25/2019 1:48:32 PM EDT
you mean people don't want to ride in an overpriced POS dirty taxi with a mainly asshole foreign driver that charges almost 40-50% more than a rideshare?

the ones out of the airport here are 99.9% Somali and smell too, plus their cabs are anything but nice and clean and they're always fucking mumbling some shit on their cellphone

NYC Taxi Medallion Owners Are Screwed
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 1:50:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I always hated how taxi cabs had a broken credit card machine.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 1:51:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Cab companies are being slaughtered by rideshare.  Most cabbies are azzwholes so I don't care.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 1:52:22 PM EDT
[#3]
NYC is a fuckfest. I've taken yellow cabs, uber (alone and ride share ), lyft and they're all hit and miss. Sometimes you get a good vehicle and driver and other times you don't. Mostly I drive my own car, but if I have to stay in for an extended period ( more than a few days ) I train or uber in and use uber sparingly.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 1:53:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Me and my buddy caught an uber in Vancouver early this year .he had a turbin on and was talking shit most of the ride.the guy was hilarious..the last half of the ride he was blasting some weird middle eastern music on his bumping stereo...we were piss drunk and the ride back to the hotel was the best part of the night.havent laughed that hard in years
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 1:54:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Posting from a yellow cab hurtling down Lexington Ave. Just updated my life insurance.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 1:56:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Posting from a yellow cab hurtling down Lexington Ave. Just updated my life insurance.
View Quote
Wave when you cross 60th and Lex. Used to be my SO's old place.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 1:59:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I always hated how taxi cabs had a broken credit card machine.
View Quote
i remember that trick and i tell them that's all i have and all of the sudden it works
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:00:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

East side of Lex or west side?

I am now down in the 30s, headed back to Penn Station...
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:00:37 PM EDT
[#9]
well, that's the kind of shit that happens when you're in the buggy whip business and ignore the fact that buggies are going out of style.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:00:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Me and my buddy caught an uber in Vancouver early this year .he had a turbin on and was talking shit most of the ride.the guy was hilarious..the last half of the ride he was blasting some weird middle eastern music on his bumping stereo...we were piss drunk and the ride back to the hotel was the best part of the night.havent laughed that hard in years
View Quote
Sikh probably.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:01:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Between Park and Lex

(so to the west of Lex)
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:01:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
i love when they fucking slam on their brakes 10 feet from the redlight - i get car sick in the back too
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:03:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Cab companies are being slaughtered by rideshare.  Most cabbies are azzwholes so I don't care.
View Quote
This

But many are hot seating Uber’s now
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:05:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Adapt or die. Sounds like they should be driving for Uber
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:07:02 PM EDT
[#15]
So a medallion is basically a license to be a taxi driver, but Uber drivers don't need medallions to operate what is essentially the same service?
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:07:08 PM EDT
[#16]
The local cab companies in my AO were FUCKING PISSED when Uber and Lyft came to town. They petitioned the city to prevent operations, but have since been getting fucked straight in the ass.

I'll take one any time except for surge, where sometimes it's cheaper to take a cab.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:08:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Leaving Vegas now, used uber exclusively every time we are here and have never had a bad uber.  Last cab I was in the cabbie was foreignely talking shit because I didnt tip him for the 18$ 5 mins ride.  Fuck taxis.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:10:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So a medallion is basically a license to be a taxi driver, but Uber drivers don't need medallions to operate what is essentially the same service?
View Quote
Big cities hate uber and lyft because there is less opportunity for graft.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:11:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think it depends on the city. Uber drivers in Seattle have to get a taxi drivers permit
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:13:33 PM EDT
[#20]
hey cabbies, investing in a business is no guarantee of success.

download the app and get to ubering, or find something else to do. the writing is on the wall.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:13:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not quite the same, in NYC only a yellow cab with a medallion can pick up a curbside hail. "Black"  cars, eg limo services, have to be arranged pickups. Uber changed the game in the arranged pickup part of the business.

Edit, in practical terms calling for Uber is very similar to a curbside hail, but the subtlety is worth a lot of money in the cab business.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:16:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
this is what i dont understand either. basically you wanted to be a taxi driver, you had to have the medallion. i assume this is a law or ordinance.

so how do uber and lyft get over that restriction?
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:20:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

this is what i dont understand either. basically you wanted to be a taxi driver, you had to have the medallion. i assume this is a law or ordinance.

View Quote
You need a medallion to own a cab. Owners very often lease the cabs out to drivers
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:23:18 PM EDT
[#24]
This situation could serve as a case study for how government taxation fucks everything up and how the free market fixes it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:23:35 PM EDT
[#25]
NYC taxi medallions have been discussed in college econ classes for decades.  Now they will be for centuries, like the Dutch tulip boom/bust.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:23:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Because they are not taxis.  I can't just flag down an Uber.  I have to arrange the ride through the app.  It's really not even a subtle difference.  It's just that the phone app raised the convenience factor of the practice to the point it's not really much of a hassle now.  No I can't just jump into an Uber waiting outside a bar or venue and say "go here" but there are so many that any wait is minimal for the money saved.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:23:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Correct.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:25:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
More than a simple license. The way it was explained to me in NYC was that there were a limited number of "Medallions" issued by the city government. They limited the number to nominally control the number of taxis congesting the streets. Once you bought the Medallion, you owned the right to operate a (single) taxi but here is the best part; they are transferable and do not expire. So, a few people (as well as a few petty government functionaries) became multi-millionaires by buying and leasing that right or selling for many times more than they paid. At one time, a single medallion required to operate a single taxi in NYC cost more than $1,000,000.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:33:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
you mean people don't want to ride in an overpriced POS dirty taxi with a mainly asshole foreign driver that charges almost 40-50% more than a rideshare?

the ones out of the airport here are 99.9% Somali and smell too, plus their cabs are anything but nice and clean and they're always fucking mumbling some shit on their cellphone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gUBd5K62N8
View Quote
Always.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:36:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Poor fucking babies. They've been living high on the hog for 10,20,30 years getting fat and rich off their government-provided monopoly, and now the ridesharing companies have completely disrupted it.

Why am I supposed to feel sorry for them? Because they can't ass-rape people any more with their vomit-smelling cabs?

Oh, I have to sell my boat, no more vacations to the Bahamas, my kids will have to go to state schools. Cry me a fucking river, you parasites.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:37:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
More than a simple license. The way it was explained to me in NYC was that there were a limited number of "Medallions" issued by the city government. They limited the number to nominally control the number of taxis congesting the streets. Once you bought the Medallion, you owned the right to operate a (single) taxi but here is the best part; they are transferable and do not expire. So, a few people (as well as a few petty government functionaries) became multi-millionaires by buying and leasing that right or selling for many times more than they paid. At one time, a single medallion required to operate a single taxi in NYC cost more than $1,000,000.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Ive read that too - one million dollars.  Crazy.  

Quoted:
NYC taxi medallions have been discussed in college econ classes for decades.  Now they will be for centuries, like the Dutch tulip boom/bust.
I wonder... doesn’t exactly paint big governement central-planning in a positive light, so possibly it will vanish from the history books of the Left.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:38:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:38:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gUBd5K62N8
View Quote
Uber is not ride share. Only an idiot thinks it is.

actually, what makes Uber a ride share?
@armoredsaint
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:38:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
@4v50

Is uber a rideshare?  if yes, why?
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:38:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes, basic law of supply and demand.

Just like pre-86 machine guns.

NYC "Banned" new cab medallions fixing the number back in the 1950's I believe.

Over they years the value grew exponentially kind of like machine gun values.

Uber is doing to medallion values what a general NFA Amnesty would do to the price of machine guns.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:39:26 PM EDT
[#36]
So the city created a money-making scheme that’s now going tits up?
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:40:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Those cab drivers apparently hate capitalism, and are angry someone has come in and busted up their monopoly.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:42:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
@4v50

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@4v50

Does it matter? Sometimes i share the Uber, sometimes I don't. But no matter what, it beats the shit out of a nasty cab.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:46:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

@armoredsaint
View Quote
Of what importance is that?
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:48:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And to add; the regulations to limit the amount of medallions were lobbied by cabbies. They used big government in order to artificially inflate rates and stifle competition. Now they're lobbying again in order to keep ride sharing companies from competing with their monopoly.

Ironically, young liberals love Uber/Lift and will eagerly agree that they are superior than traditional cabs. If you explain that this is a prime example of how the free market excels and big government suffocates better options for the consumer, you'll get a glazed-over look.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:50:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Leaving Vegas now, used uber exclusively every time we are here and have never had a bad uber.  Last cab I was in the cabbie was foreignely talking shit because I didnt tip him for the 18$ 5 mins ride.  Fuck taxis.
View Quote
Same here.  Cabs in Vegas are hit or miss and sometimes downright scary but I've never had a bad Lyft ride.  Amazing how people tend to keep clean and drive right when their performance gets rated and it's their own vehicle.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:56:08 PM EDT
[#42]
The system needed to change.  Now it is.

It's rare to see NYC make good decisions.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:57:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Those cab drivers apparently hate capitalism, and are angry someone has come in and busted up their monopoly.
View Quote
this

sucks to suck
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:58:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 3:02:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Did I make it in before the resident cab medallion defender posted?
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 3:03:28 PM EDT
[#46]
I've used Uber a bunch and never had a bad experience and they get to my house much faster than a cab would.

I used Lyft once and didn't care for the driver.  He was yakking on the phone the entire time, bragging to some girl how he was an IT god.  Never said "hello" or "googbye" and managed to drop me at the wrong address.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 3:08:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

@maggiethecat

From what I understand, you don't have exclusive rights to where the ride goes.  It may already have a passenger going your way, and may stop there before it gets to your destination.

A cab, you're "renting" a shitty limo driver exclusively for the duration of the trip, cab can't stop and pick up more on the way, etc.

So, you're sharing the ride with wherever the driver happens to be going ,and anybody else along with him, there may or may not be others in the car, but it's not guaranteed.

The difference is in the definition, not in practice, for legal reasons exactly like the medallion.  Uber started because of medallion in NYC, prototyped/tested in San Francisco 2008/2009, then opened in NYC in 2010/2011.
View Quote
I've never heard of or read any of that before.  Uber's own website says that can be done, they call it uber Pool. you must sign up for it ahead of time.  your car wont show up with another passenger already in it.  you can of course use the app for multiple stops or multiple passengers, and all can pay part of the tab, all dont through the app.

I think you understand wrong.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 3:08:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

@armoredsaint
View Quote
In NYC it's an option, sometimes it might be your only option unless you want to wait awhile for another car.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 3:11:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
Vancouver BC?  Uber isn't in Vancouver, the taxi mafia has full control and Uber has not been able to gain entry there.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 3:13:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
In NYC it's an option, sometimes it might be your only option unless you want to wait awhile for another car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@armoredsaint
Same in DC.

Regular Uber, you order a car, it picks you (and only you) up and takes you were you want to go.

Uber Pool might pick up another rider if they are on the way (or not too far out of the way). Uber Pool is cheaper.

Uber Black is if you want a Luxury car, I believe they also have tighter requirements for the drivers. It is more expensive.

You pick what tier you want when you order the car.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top