BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:57:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why take a taxi when you can use a ride share company that doesn't require any special license, doesn't do a really good job checking drivers out, and can use a company that says they aren't in the transportation business when they get money from the interaction.
View Quote
I don't care if they have a license or not. "We're licensed! We have begged the city to make its face to shine upon our privilege of earning a living! Those other guys, they didn't ask the government's permission first and so we must REEEE at them!"

I find that argument unpersuasive. I don't care whether my barber, arborist, or the guy in the gas station parking lot who sells breakfast burritos is licensed either.

I also don't care how "really good" a job Uber does at "checking drivers out." I just want a ride from point A to point B, not someone to have signature authority on my checkbook to pay my (unlicensed) tree surgeon.

And when a business provides me a service, I have absolutely no doubt that they'll charge for it. It's not like the cab company works for free either.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 12:00:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
well, that's the kind of shit that happens when you're in the buggy whip business and ignore the fact that buggies are going out of style.
View Quote
And paid 1 million for your buggy
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 12:01:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 12:01:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 12:02:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No. What they are angry about is that they followed the rules set up by city government at the request of their own industry, specifically to lock out competition, that limits competition. Cabbies did not create the rules, but they were required to follow them.
View Quote
FIFY.

Bullshit, pardon my language. The only reason for the medallion system was because the existing cabbies wanted it. They are, no shit, the only people who benefit from it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 12:38:04 AM EDT
[#6]
the cab industry needed to die.

Im glad Uber and Lyft have disrupted them

#fuckem
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 1:59:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Incorrect.
More are hailed. Many spool up at Grand Central Station / Penn Station.

Yellow cans have not had radios for a while - or if they do, I have not seen them used in 30 years.
View Quote
Cell phones can be used to dispatch cabs too.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 8:04:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

FIFY.

Bullshit, pardon my language. The only reason for the medallion system was because the existing cabbies wanted it. They are, no shit, the only people who benefit from it.
View Quote
This.

The NYC taxi industry is crony capitalism distilled to its very essence.  Fuck ‘em.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 8:17:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I knew this one great yellow cab driver, Artie Decicco, his cab was always invariably sweet smelling. Unfortunately ICE got him.
View Quote
From Brockton, MA?
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 8:20:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I had a cab driver there, he smelled like a man eating gorgonzola cheese while getting a permanent in the septic tank of a slaughter house. I told him "Hey pal there's an extra five in it for ya if you run over a fucking skunk
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 8:26:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Had to check that out of curiousity, 5 suicides in 5 months by taxi medallion owners in NYC 1 year ago.  

That medallion thing reminds me a lot of diamonds, and then "Blood diamonds" and serial numbers to fight it when news got out about the artificially limited supply.   Medallions sound like some sort of plan a Mafia boss would come up with.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From what I understand a medallion in New York City cost over $1 million. Jews would buy them and rent them out since they were a limited number. They would rent them for 8% interest.

The price has plunged in the last dozen years. It is unfortunate but several of the cabi owners who bought those medallions have committed suicide due to loss.

My seventh grade social studies teacher asked does change bring progress or progress bring change? Obviously the taxicab drivers never figured this out.
Had to check that out of curiousity, 5 suicides in 5 months by taxi medallion owners in NYC 1 year ago.  

That medallion thing reminds me a lot of diamonds, and then "Blood diamonds" and serial numbers to fight it when news got out about the artificially limited supply.   Medallions sound like some sort of plan a Mafia boss would come up with.
Medallions were/are a fucking racket of the dumbest magnitude. Created this whole artificially inflated ecosystem which basically just fucked anyone, typically not very smart immigrants that wanted to make a living driving. I'm glad the ride share services have put a dent in them.

Medallions were first issued in 1937 when the city created a licensing scheme, setting the number of cabs at 11,787. This number remained fixed until 1996.[107] Because the medallion system artificially restricts the number of cabs, it has been criticized as an entry barrier to the New York City taxi market which has in turn created a black market for illegal taxicab operation in areas underserved by medallion cabs.[108] Because the cost of leasing a medallion is so high, the system cuts into the income of drivers and raise costs for the passengers. On the other hand, some transportation analysts contend that cities with no barriers to entry to the taxi market end up with an abundance of poorly maintained taxis. They say that a medallion system helps the city to better regulate taxis and enables the city to raise the standards of all taxis.[109]
Medallions are sold from the City at infrequent auctions, or by a medallion owner. They increased in price from around $2,500 in 1947 to $280,000 in 2004.[110] The medallions, which could be sold for a $10 renewal fee during the 1930s, are now worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, with fleet medallions topping $1,000,000 in 2011.[111][112] In 20132014, values were around $1 million[113] to $1.3 million.[107] By comparison, in 2004, a taxi driver had an average yearly gross revenue of $90,747 and a net income of $49,532.[110]Because of the historically high prices, medallions (and most cabs) are owned by investment companies and are leased to drivers ("hacks"). An auction was held in 2006 where 308 new medallions were sold. In the 2006 auction, 254 were designated as either hybrids taxis and 54 were designated as ADA-accessible taxis.[112] Between November 2013 and February 2014, the city auctioned 368 new medallions, all of which was earmarked for use with a wheelchair-accessible vehicle.[107][113]
Over the years, many medallions once owned by individual drivers were sold to large taxi fleets. As of 2012, about 18% of all taxis were owner operated, while the rest were leased;[1] this is a decline from the 29% ownership rate in 2006.[35]:32 Additionally, some taxi drivers might begin their shifts by owing money to the taxi fleet companies that hire them, so they may spend a substantial amount of their day trying to earn a net profit.[1]
Starting in 2011, medallion prices dropped considerably, likely due to competition from ride-share services.[101][114] As of October 2016, medallion prices had dropped to around $500,000 in value, with one medallion dropping to $250,000.[115] Because of the decline in medallion prices, many taxi drivers started working for ride-sharing services instead.[114] There was also a decrease in taxi usage: in November 2016, there were 336,737 daily trips that netted $4.98 million, a decrease from the 463,701 daily trips netting $5.17 million in November 2010.[116][117] However, in mid-2016, after a five-year decline, taxi usage began to increase again.[102] Due to this competition, medallion owners sued the city and Uber in November 2015.[118] By 2017, the 60,000 ride share vehicles in New York City outnumbered the city's medallion vehicles at a ratio of almost 4 to 1,[116] and many medallion owners faced the prospect of bankruptcy or severe debt because of the low medallion prices, which few entities were willing to buy.[101][3] Medallion holders had trouble making payments on the loans that they borrowed to pay for the medallions.[3] This, in turn, led to several high-profile suicides of taxi drivers who had seen decreases in profit due to the proliferation of ride-share vehicles.[119] In August 2018, the city voted to stop issuing new ride-share licenses for one year, as well as enacted a minimum wage for for-hire vehicle drivers.[4][17][120] The vote was intended to regulate the for-hire vehicle industry and prevent taxi medallion prices from falling further, but Uber and Lyft criticized the restriction, stating that it would have a negative impact on commuters in the outer boroughs.[120]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxicabs_of_New_York_City#Medallions

It's a really fucked up and sad situation but could be easily prevented if not fur government intervention and bureaucratic buttfuckery.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/02/nyregion/taxi-drivers-suicide-nyc.html
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 8:39:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Leaving Vegas now, used uber exclusively every time we are here and have never had a bad uber.  Last cab I was in the cabbie was foreignely talking shit because I didnt tip him for the 18$ 5 mins ride.  Fuck taxis.
View Quote
In Vegas to the Venitian the taxi was cheaper than an Uber. They put some $5 or $7 fee for Ubers to goto the airport.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 2:05:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 2:13:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Rode in 2 yellow cabs yesterday from Times Square to and from Tribeca.
On the way down it was a recent Camry or something similar in great condition.
On the way back it was a Prius with 355,000 miles that sounded like the suspension was going to come through the floor. It also had the distinct smell of curry.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 4:12:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Could be a simple enough fix to say medallions cannot be leased, rented, or loaned.

Of course that would never go through, as the companies owning the largest blocks of medallions are part of the .gov deciding their future.
View Quote
The right way:

Total medallion count set by total population divided by road infrastructure.  New medallions created as city expands.  New medallions lottery to hack waiting list.  Medallions only issued to individual drivers, may not be transfered, returned to city upon retirement/relocation/etc.

But that's not how you squeeze the working people for lucre, so they did it the corrupt way.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 4:26:22 PM EDT
[#16]
What would Travis Bickle think...?
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 5:32:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Not typical of going a couple blocks in Manhattan, but just an observation.   I had to go from LGA to EWR the other week, around 5pm.  Bus services had shit reviews online and required a transfer.   Public trans with a suitcase was bus to train to subway to covered wagon or some shit like that.

Uber app said wait for hours.

Taxi stand had cars lined up ready to go.

Link Posted: 4/26/2019 5:37:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So a medallion is basically a license to be a taxi driver, but Uber drivers don't need medallions to operate what is essentially the same service?
View Quote
No, which is why the cab drivers are pissed. There are a lot of wierd regs in NYC though, last time I was there they have zones they can work in and IIRC it was differentiated by the color of the tag on the plate.  My first ride from the airport I paid at the kiosk, verified it was the entire cost plus tip (I was using a business card), and when we got to the hotel in Manhattan the driver started telling me in broken English I owed $20 more. I hopped out and walked as I already had my receipt, but took either uber or the subway from then on.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 7:18:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 8:39:23 PM EDT
[#20]
No worries @brass

LGA = New York LaGuardia Airport
EWR = New Jersey Newark Airport

I do not not live on the East-coast hive of scum and villainy, just have to travel there sometimes for work.   Work-boots, gloves, hard-hat, TWIC, hi-vis, etc...
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 8:45:44 PM EDT
[#21]
I'll have a coke...
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 11:46:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
No, which is why the cab drivers are pissed. There are a lot of wierd regs in NYC though, last time I was there they have zones they can work in and IIRC it was differentiated by the color of the tag on the plate.  My first ride from the airport I paid at the kiosk, verified it was the entire cost plus tip (I was using a business card), and when we got to the hotel in Manhattan the driver started telling me in broken English I owed $20 more. I hopped out and walked as I already had my receipt, but took either uber or the subway from then on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So a medallion is basically a license to be a taxi driver, but Uber drivers don't need medallions to operate what is essentially the same service?
Uber is a livery service, they do not pick up hailed rides. They're competing with town cars for business model, not taxis, but doing so well they're drinking medallion owners' milkshake.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 10:48:09 AM EDT
[#23]
They are all screwed, they've turned a good service into an unsupportable model.  Uber lost more than $1 billion in the 1st quarter on $3 billion in revenue.  This occurred as Uber is heading into an IPO so the and an extreme motivation to NOT totally suck ass.

Since their main cost is paying drivers I assume they are counting on sticking it out until self-driving cars are reliable but what then, go from paying drivers to buying fleets?  If they pay to use person vehicles without the driver then how much does that save them? Only lose $2 billion a year instead of $4 billion.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 7:43:16 PM EDT
[#24]
If you live in a Uber / Lyft rich zone and you don’t mind being tracked do it. The only benefit you have with a yellow cab is, COMPLETE AUTONOMY. No paper trail for whatever you are scheming.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 8:59:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
They are all screwed, they've turned a good service into an unsupportable model.  Uber lost more than $1 billion in the 1st quarter on $3 billion in revenue.  This occurred as Uber is heading into an IPO so the and an extreme motivation to NOT totally suck ass.

Since their main cost is paying drivers I assume they are counting on sticking it out until self-driving cars are reliable but what then, go from paying drivers to buying fleets?  If they pay to use person vehicles without the driver then how much does that save them? Only lose $2 billion a year instead of $4 billion.
View Quote
Yeah, they're screwed to the point of all the founders about to become billionaires.

Amazon lost billions for years and years and Jeff Bezos is one of the richest men on Earth.

This isn't a chicken restaurant in Boise. At that level, things work very differentlyt.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 9:00:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If you live in a Uber / Lyft rich zone and you don’t mind being tracked do it. The only benefit you have with a yellow cab is, COMPLETE AUTONOMY. No paper trail for whatever you are scheming.
View Quote
Which is of absolutely no value to 99.999999999999999% of people. Half of the people on this site talk like they're in Delta Force or something.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 9:03:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Why take a taxi when you can use a ride share company that doesn't require any special license, doesn't do a really good job checking drivers out, and can use a company that says they aren't in the transportation business when they get money from the interaction.   Plus with Uber, you have some stranger "rate" you, and if you don't tip enough, they give you a lousy rating.

I don't trust either company.  I especially don't like the idea of having my credit card and personal information on record just in case I might decide I want a ride some day.  With a taxi, sure it costs more, but I can pay cash for the ride.
View Quote
License or no license, compare the avaerage quality/appearance/professionalism of cabbies vs rideshare drivers, there's no comparison. Taxis are nasty.

And you're making it way harder than it has to be. None of that stuff matters. Who pays cash anymore? And you can use a prepaid card if you're really paranoid. For no apparent reason.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 9:05:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
He responded to someone who called it rideshare. It isn't. The driver is not sharing his car with you. He is renting the car and his services to you, exactly as a cabbie does. Call it what it is: a gypsy cab.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of what importance is that?
He responded to someone who called it rideshare. It isn't. The driver is not sharing his car with you. He is renting the car and his services to you, exactly as a cabbie does. Call it what it is: a gypsy cab.
That's what the industry is called. I didn't name it. I'm not going to play some weird game that comes from what sounds like a cabbie who can't keep up.

You like New York? Have you had an egg cream? No egg. No cream. And yet that's what they call it.

People who insist on weird names for things that nobody else uses don't sound very smart.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 10:38:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top