Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 1:44:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Safe thread with pre-determined open date in March. This is a tag.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 3:50:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I see where you are going but also think that when an Agent attempts to confirm lawful ownership of a SBR, Supressor, MG or DD that they contact BATF and not Treasury or IRS
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NFA records would be exempt from FOIA on account of being considered tax records, no?
I see where you are going but also think that when an Agent attempts to confirm lawful ownership of a SBR, Supressor, MG or DD that they contact BATF and not Treasury or IRS
I never suggested otherwise.

All I meant was that NFA records are classified as tax documents, which are not subject to FOIA.

That doesn't mean they are IRS related.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 4:21:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What legal justification do they need to gather information you willingly give them either directly or indirectly?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What legal justification do they have for so much information gathering if you haven't been charged with a crime?
What legal justification do they need to gather information you willingly give them either directly or indirectly?
Do you like Kiwi or Shine-o-la better?
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 4:24:38 PM EDT
[#4]
In to see where this (eventually) goes

Will this take half the time of a form 4 or twice, nobody knows
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 4:27:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Do you have a rough number?
View Quote
I do not.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 4:35:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Shit.  That's an interesting idea.
View Quote
Imagine a BATFE inundated with 200,000 FOIA requests.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 12:05:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

All I meant was that NFA records are classified as tax documents, which are not subject to FOIA.

View Quote
Ahh gotcha. I went and read the 522c but got lost. Too much lawyer. The way I phrased my request ahould bring mention that a tax form is on file though or is the fact that the file even is made allowed to be protected.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 1:51:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ahh gotcha. I went and read the 522c but got lost. Too much lawyer. The way I phrased my request ahould bring mention that a tax form is on file though or is the fact that the file even is made allowed to be protected.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tax records are private.

If I knew your name and SSN and FOIA'd your NFA filings (for the sake of discussion, let's assume they are not under another legal entity's name), ATF would return nothing to me. Not "We have, but cannot give you what you want." Just nothing.... or, at best, something along the lines of what we've gotten before (paraphrased) "NFA transfer forms are tax records and are not subject to FOIA requests."

Just to be clear, I do not know your name and SSN, and I am absolutely not submitting any FOIA requests about you. A FOIA request is not bound to the requestor - e.g. it is not "Citizen X would like to see everything we have on citizen X" - it is "A citizen wants to see everything we have on citizen X." Whatever rights you may have to your own information, in the context of a FOIA request, are irrelevant. Hence the reason why some information is denied even if you might be able to request it (as yourself) through other channels.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 3:03:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Every SOT I've known well enough to talk to about the issue has said that any inspection involves the ATF agents sending copies of their paperwork back to update the NFA registry, they'll show up with a list of what they think the SOT has in inventory and there will be significant discrepancies.  Of course, the BATFE will still claim the registry is completely accurate in court, even after the Busey letter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In. They can't even manage the nfa registry and they think they can register everyone?
I remember a thread where NOLO posted docs showing that they had huge holes in the registry. Multiple SOTs posted that they frequently got asked about NFA items they no longer had during audits.
Every SOT I've known well enough to talk to about the issue has said that any inspection involves the ATF agents sending copies of their paperwork back to update the NFA registry, they'll show up with a list of what they think the SOT has in inventory and there will be significant discrepancies.  Of course, the BATFE will still claim the registry is completely accurate in court, even after the Busey letter.
Exactly! That happened to me. they said that I was missing items only for me to show them copies of the approved form fours.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 7:10:10 PM EDT
[#10]
What costs are we looking at here? Hundreds of bucks.........under a 100?
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 10:07:41 AM EDT
[#11]
IN

Link Posted: 12/26/2018 10:13:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Mine was free
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 10:51:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Exactly! That happened to me. they said that I was missing items only for me to show them copies of the approved form fours.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In. They can't even manage the nfa registry and they think they can register everyone?
I remember a thread where NOLO posted docs showing that they had huge holes in the registry. Multiple SOTs posted that they frequently got asked about NFA items they no longer had during audits.
I had them show up with a list of items belonging to a similarly named FFL/SOT in another state. Their list even had his address plainly printed at the top.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 1:02:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Anything new?
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 4:47:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Anything new?
View Quote
Anything else on this OP?
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 5:18:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Have you been to Jupiter, FL in the last eight months?
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 8:01:30 PM EDT
[#17]
What did he think the outcome of this would be? Seriously wtf are these people thinking.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 8:07:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've driven by it a few times to go from 95 to the turnpike
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 8:13:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Im hoping this didnt slow my form 4 down
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 8:16:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I used to drive by a couple of times a week for a couple of years. My question was kind of a joke about the Robert Kraft bust in Jupiter.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 8:33:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I used to drive by a couple of times a week for a couple of years. My question was kind of a joke about the Robert Kraft bust in Jupiter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know, but it's funny because I really did drive by it a few times in the last month
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 8:50:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I know, but it's funny because I really did drive by it a few times in the last month
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Uh oh.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 9:37:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Tag
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 1:13:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

As long as you disclose the encounter to the investigator when you go to renew, you will be ok.
I sold a beretta 92 slide on Ebay, I sent it to New Jersey but it ended up being found in a package going to Russia. I had customs, homeland, CID, and the FBI in my commanders office wanting to see me.
Long story short, it all turned out ok. I hold a ts- csi yw.
View Quote
how did they trace it to you if you sent to NJ? Slide serial from original purchase?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 4:10:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Documents in mail this afternoon.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 4:52:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:01:15 PM EDT
[#27]
You should FOIA the FBI next!  

Won't that be fun!
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:02:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Could be you. Could be a lot of people.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:03:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
WTH.. subbed
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:43:10 PM EDT
[#30]
In before OP gets a bunch of black pages.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:41:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
In before OP gets a bunch of black pages.
View Quote
I won't know til next week as I'll be busy. Jenzilla will have to receive them for me.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:11:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Edit
Sorry, humor is out of place.
No joking matter.
good luck
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:19:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Awwww yessss, IN!
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:28:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:30:51 PM EDT
[#35]
I kinda wonder if something similar is going on with me.

Would explain the over year wait for my background check for my damn SD can
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:54:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
and we'd never get a can again.  

but realistically, we should ask for a FOIA document request for anyone on AR15.com.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 2:28:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Let me know when you want me to sue.
View Quote
do it
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 2:37:10 PM EDT
[#38]
In!
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:40:25 PM EDT
[#39]
For the record, I was not here
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:45:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Pffffft...they would process them 1 at a time and would be no different then waiting for a paper filed NFA tax stamp.  "18 months after filing, my FOIA request is out of jail! Woot!"
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 9:07:05 PM EDT
[#41]
My dad served in the AF as an inflight refueler.

He had to get a security clearance to do that job.  They questioned my dad about being a communist because someone in Poland had been sending his grandfather a Polish newspaper in the late 40s and early 50s.  They even had dates listed.

People don't think the .gov be like it be, but it be just like that.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 9:07:50 PM EDT
[#42]
In.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 10:25:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Updates?  
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 10:52:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I was born in 1986. They called me about a gun they thought I bought in 1968.  Maybe I should FOIA them?

And OP, kudos on doing that frag!  Have you worked with them any more?
View Quote
Uh, do you have a super common name like jason smith? James baker? IIRC there was a member here who is a cop and was arrested in another state by a cop who saw "outstanding warrant on James Smith" with same DOB as member. There MIGHT be more than ONE james smith with the same birthday in the US, arresting officer didn't look at the race of the warrant, height or tattoos, member had no face tattoos, wasn't black, and was too short/tall.

And i wasn't here tagging this for updates
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 1:30:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Bump, because it's next week.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 1:52:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Uh, do you have a super common name like jason smith? James baker? IIRC there was a member here who is a cop and was arrested in another state by a cop who saw "outstanding warrant on James Smith" with same DOB as member. There MIGHT be more than ONE james smith with the same birthday in the US, arresting officer didn't look at the race of the warrant, height or tattoos, member had no face tattoos, wasn't black, and was too short/tall.

And i wasn't here tagging this for updates
View Quote
I remember that.

IIRC the wanted party was black, the LE member was white, but they still arrested him.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 1:58:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 2:02:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Giggity.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 3:07:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 4:04:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Doesn't explain the audio recordings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have no social media to speak of (a ghost Facebook that I use to browse, but never post) prior to getting a twitter during the Kavanaugh proceedings to troll people.

And ARFCOM.

No Alexa or any such devices.
there is your answer in red..
Doesn't explain the audio recordings.
audio recording when they talked to him?
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top