Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/5/2018 1:13:14 AM EDT
One crew member was killed. Might be someone I know

UPDATE: According to Lt. Don Hollingshead of the Laramie County Sheriff's Department, the derailment was reported around 7:45 p.m. and involved two Union Pacific trains, one of which is believed to have rear-ended the other. The crash occurred in the Harriman Road area west of Cheyenne.

He says four UP employees were in the crash, one of whom is reported to have been killed. One other person is missing and the other two were not seriously injured. The person who died and the missing person are believed to have been in the engine of the train which struck the other from behind. No evacuations have been ordered, The cargo on the trains was reportedly "mixed."

In addition to the sheriff's office, the Wyoming Highway Patrol, Union Pacific officials and other emergency responders are on the scene

http://kgab.com/breaking-at-least-one-dead-in-laramie-county-train-derailment/

Update: Both crew members were found dead. The engineer jumped before impact and was buried in the wreckage. I knew him. A good friend of mine . The conductor stayed in the the cab and was also killed. I didn't know him. Apparently the train that rear ended the stopped train became a runaway and slammed into the stopped train at 51 mph.

Link Posted: 10/5/2018 1:15:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I hope the person you’re thinking of is ok. RIP to the crew member
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 1:16:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry bro. Hope and prayers for the best. I was in that area last week-the number of rail cars crossing Wyoming is impressive.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 1:16:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry to hear that OP.

My family knows that feeling.  Prayers for your friend.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 1:49:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks everyone. Still no updates yet.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 1:59:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Sorry to hear. Fellow railroader here.

Nothing good ever comes from a collision
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 2:09:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Damnit

Way too much of this happening here lately. We literally had a rear end collision down here as well, about a month ago. 14mph impact. Derailed a shit ton of cars and tore up about a 1/2 mile worth of track. Thank god their were no casualties tho. We’re our own worst enemy out here sometimes.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 2:47:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 6:30:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Bad deal.

Hope it wasn't your friend.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 6:37:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I believe there is a member here who makes that run.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 11:18:21 AM EDT
[#10]
You can see live pic of the pileup on the RH side of the 1st traffic cam:

http://www.wyoroad.info/highway/webcameras/I80Warren/I80Warren.html

What a mess.

Trying embed:

Link Posted: 10/5/2018 11:23:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 11:29:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I would think that one of those auto inflating crash jackets used on motorcycles would be a good thing to have in the cab of the locomotive in case one had to jump out of a moving train prior to impact.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 11:47:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would think that one of those auto inflating crash jackets used on motorcycles would be a good thing to have in the cab of the locomotive in case one had to jump out of a moving train prior to impact.
View Quote
Its not hitting the ground that gets you its the cars coming off the rails and crushing you that makes you dead. Sometimes its better to just ride it out.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 12:21:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
It wouldn't help at all if the jumper gets crushed by derailing cars and locomotives.  I fear that poor soul is underneath tons of twisted metal.

Jumping isn't always a good thing to do. IIRC they never found the body of a young woman who jumped to get clear before a head-on a year or two ago.  She jumped before getting out of yard limits on a train just getting underway that hit an inbound on the wrong track.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 12:23:03 PM EDT
[#15]

One of the locomotives on the train that rear-ended thr other can be seen in the middle of the photo. Lead loco(s) are buried underneath the wreckage.

Both Eastbounds, one coming down Sherman Hill, the other was stopped on the same.track.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 12:25:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Damn. That is a big crash.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 12:26:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Hope your friend is ok, brother..
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 2:36:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Cheyenne Train Derailment Interview UP Spokeswoman Raquel Espinoza
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 5:06:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Update: Both crew members were found dead. The engineer jumped before impact and was buried in the wreckage. I knew him. A good friend of mine . The conductor stayed in the the cab and was also killed. I didn't know him. Apparently the train that rear ended the stopped train became a runaway and slammed into the stopped train at 51 mph.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 5:10:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sorry to hear.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 5:14:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Tell those of us who know nothing about trains how a train becomes a runaway...please.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 5:15:42 PM EDT
[#22]
I know jack and shit about anything rail so I'm not trying to be an ass here. How does a train become a 'runaway'? That looks like a pretty flat area - how did it obtain 51 mph? Prayers out fot your friend OP - and all others involved.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 5:17:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Sorry about your loss OP
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 5:18:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Sorry about your friend.

I lost 3 buddies I had worked with for 20 yrs after hitting a tanker truck of alcohol that ran a crossing...

Prayers to family.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 5:20:24 PM EDT
[#25]
The train was 13000 tons with only 3 locomotives. Sherman hill is fairly steep 2%. The train didn't have enough braking power to hold without using the air brakes and from what I heard they lost the air brakes too.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 5:20:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Drove by the site this morning, and on my way back to Cheyenne. Called a co-worker, who's Son works for UP, and got the info posted in the update. Looks pretty nasty.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 5:25:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The train was 13000 tons with only 3 locomotives. Sherman hill is fairly steep 2%. The train didn't have enough braking power to hold without using the air brakes and from what I heard they lost the air brakes too.
View Quote
Assuming all dynamics were in working order, could they have kept the consist under control if they'd gone into dynamic plus light service application early on?
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 5:36:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Assuming all dynamics were in working order, could they have kept the consist under control if they'd gone into dynamic plus light service application early on?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Details are sketchy. No one really knows what really happened yet but apparently there was a malfunction in the air brake system.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 5:38:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Drove by the site this morning, and on my way back to Cheyenne. Called a co-worker, who's Son works for UP, and got the info posted in the update. Looks pretty nasty.
View Quote
What's his name if you don't mind me asking?
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 5:47:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Details are sketchy. No one really knows what really happened yet but apparently there was a malfunction in the air brake system.
View Quote
Sucks, and I'm sorry for your loss. The San Bernadino SP derailment comes to mind when braking system faults are brought into discussion.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 5:47:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Tough choice. Jumping off at speed or riding it in.

Sorry for your friend OP. That definitely sucks
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 5:48:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not as steep as Tennessee Pass on the old Rio Grande, but suspect similar rules apply descending Sherman intk Cheyenne

http://jeffstrainsite.com/railfan_info/up/tennessee_pass.pdf

See 31.5.1 Tennessee Pass to Minturn (westbound)

There was a runaway on Tennessee Pass 20 years ago, not enough d/b alone for the train and too many light applications. By the time they needed emergency no air was left (memory is a bit hazy, but something along those lines)

RR's are running longer trains with minimal power to make stockholders happy. Might be the case here or might just be they lost some of the dynamics or had an air problem. Black box will answer most questions.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 5:49:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 6:00:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Map of tracks

2 are steeper but shorter going downhill

3rd track is longer but less steep for westbounds going up the hill

Newer locomotives have higher tractive effort (pulling) and greater dynamic braking capacity than older locos. This means trains can use fewer engines (which management likes). Older trains might have had 5 or 6 locos to equal what 3 or 4 can do today. Only problem is when you lose dynamic brakes on one loco (not uncommon) you've lost a greater percentage than losing one set out of a 5 or 6 older loco consist. Then you need more air brakes to control the train, and if you haven't set up retainers...
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 6:03:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
RR's are running longer trains with minimal power to make stockholders happy. Might be the case here or might just be they lost some of the dynamics or had an air problem. Black box will answer most questions.
View Quote
It's all good until it ain't.

EHH's "precision railroading" bit with CSX is doing the same, but the Great Lakes and Indianapolis subs (along with much of their other trackage) are flat enough that braking power isn't that big of an issue. Probably doesn't fly so well in the Intermountain West.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 6:14:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Some additional pics:

You can see one of the locos that crashed into the stopped train to the left of the workers. Everything piled up behind it with 13000 tons trying to go downhill:

View from uphill showing the downhill grade.

Maybe dispatch thought they were on different tracks. Don't know if they could have made it all the way down to Cheyenne without derailing on a curve somewhere. Have seen RR's leave cars or even a single loco out to stop runaways but not a whole stopped train. Could have evolved too fast to reroute. Jumping off at 50 MPH vs riding it out is a daunting choice.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 6:18:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It's all good until it ain't.

EHH's "precision railroading" bit with CSX is doing the same, but the Great Lakes and Indianapolis subs (along with much of their other trackage) are flat enough that braking power isn't that big of an issue. Probably doesn't fly so well in the Intermountain West.
View Quote
Hunters PR BS wrecked a train going down the hill from Sand Patch in Hyndman a year or two ago. Plus other misadventures. He didn't kick off soon enough. Think they reinstated helpers on the rear. NS knows better and keeps helpers on the rear of most trains going up and down the mountain.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 6:21:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Some additional pics:

You can see one of the locos that crashed into the stopped train to the left of the workers. Everything piled up behind it with 13000 tons trying to go downhill:

https://localtvkdvr.files.wordpress.com/2018/10/oct-5-18-wyoming-crash.jpg

https://nnimgt-a.akamaihd.net/transform/v1/crop/frm/silverstone-feed-data/cc022aa5-79a6-4617-81ca-5830b2f5a180.jpg/r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Maybe dispatch thought they were on different tracks. Don't know if they could have made it all the way down to Cheyenne without derailing on a curve somewhere. Have seen RR's leave cars or even a single loco out to stop runaways but not a whole stopped train. Could have evolved too fast to reroute. Jumping off at 50 MPH vs riding it out is a daunting choice.
View Quote
If that's CTC territory, the dispatcher would have known what tracks each were on. BTW, I see a PTC mast and antenna in the bottom pic, it obviously didn't help this situation.

ETA, UP has a very impressive, "mission control" type dispatch center at Harriman.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 6:25:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Not as steep as Tennessee Pass on the old Rio Grande, but suspect similar rules apply descending Sherman intk Cheyenne

http://jeffstrainsite.com/railfan_info/up/tennessee_pass.pdf

See 31.5.1 Tennessee Pass to Minturn (westbound)

There was a runaway on Tennessee Pass 20 years ago, not enough d/b alone for the train and too many light applications. By the time they needed emergency no air was left (memory is a bit hazy, but something along those lines)

View Quote
Too many minimum applications doesn't take away your emergency capability.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 6:29:08 PM EDT
[#40]
My condolences.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 6:31:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Serious suggestion,  not fucking joking: train crews should be provided with ejection pods, just like fighter planes have.

Dead Serious. This shit happens over and over and over and over and the poor guy driving the train just has to die.

Fix it. How many train ops have died in the last decade?
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 6:56:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Some additional pics:

https://localtvkdvr.files.wordpress.com/2018/10/oct-5-18-wyoming-crash.jpg

https://nnimgt-a.akamaihd.net/transform/v1/crop/frm/silverstone-feed-data/cc022aa5-79a6-4617-81ca-5830b2f5a180.jpg/r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

View Quote
Dispatcher knew they had a runaway. All trains in the area
were instructed to stop and all crews get off and get to safety. I'm now told that the speed was 61
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 7:05:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Dispatcher knew they had a runaway. All trains in the area
were instructed to stop and all crews get off and get to safety. I'm now told that the speed was 61
View Quote
Shit sandwich. Could, big could, another train run in front and brake for runaway?
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 7:10:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Shit sandwich. Could, big could, another train run in front and brake for runaway?
View Quote
In the movies. In real life, getting miles of clear track ahead with switches lined for straight movement would be a tough thing.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 7:16:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Serious suggestion,  not fucking joking: train crews should be provided with ejection pods, just like fighter planes have.

Dead Serious. This shit happens over and over and over and over and the poor guy driving the train just has to die.

View Quote
Decent idea.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 7:16:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Cheaper to put helpers on the rear or an extra loco in front solely for dynamic braking (former is better from physics standpoint but requires extra crew or distributed power).

RR's hire analysts to figure out the minimum crew & fuel (locos) to move traffic. Something fails and the safety margin evaporates.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 7:20:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

In the movies. In real life, getting miles of clear track ahead with switches lined for straight movement would be a tough thing.
View Quote
They probably had but minutes of notice. If more, setting brakes on 20 odd cars on the rear and pulling the rest of the train away might have made the crash survivable. But that's a mile+ hike back to the rear if the train. Theoretically, Running the train in front at say 30-40MPH would have reduced the deceleration of the runaway, but that's out there with calculations, no time and no idea of success.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
And the run away was already going faster than the speed limit for the track. Look at the curve in the photo.

This accident got me thinking about how railroaders crossed the Rockies before the advent of George Westinghouse's air brakes. Brakemen would set the brakes on each individual car as needed, following whistle commands from the engineer. The cars in those days had roof walks and the brakemen went from car to car  to make changes. Imagine having to work the hand brakes in the dead of winter. Many a man was lost in the snow.

These are big trains running on stiff grades with incredible tonnages.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 7:34:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

And the run away was already going faster than the speed limit for the track. Look at the curve in the photo.

This accident got me thinking about how railroaders crossed the Rockies before the advent of George Westinghouse's air brakes. Brakemen would set the brakes on each individual car as needed, following whistle commands from the engineer. The cars in those days had roof walks and the brakemen went from car to car  to make changes. Imagine having to work the hand brakes in the dead of winter. Many a man was lost in the snow.

These are big trains running on stiff grades with incredible tonnages.
View Quote
Yep momentum is a bitch.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 7:36:12 PM EDT
[#50]
I know the RR wouldn't wan't to make the ivestment and as a signal maintainer I wouldn't want to take care of them, but maybe in places with steep grades like that, split point power derails could be installed. Maybe one per direction, per block of steep grade. Putting one on the ground would be preferable to rear ending the one in front of you.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top