Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 8:27:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I just bought an 04 XL 883C with 15k miles from my stepson for $1700. He got it in trade for some mechanic work he did on a friend's truck.

First year for a rubber mount Evo, second to last year for carb.

Since it was so cheap it didn't hurt so much to change or all the parts I didn't like.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 8:29:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've never been a fan of low performance motorcycles.  But if you're looking for a parade bike, I guess it would be OK.

https://i.imgur.com/wvNIKir.jpg

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2023 8:31:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Love Road Kings!
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 8:34:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What years were the cam tensioners a problem? I'm thinking of buying '19 FXDR with 114ci powerplant.
View Quote

‘99-2006
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 8:35:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

‘99-2006
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What years were the cam tensioners a problem? I'm thinking of buying '19 FXDR with 114ci powerplant.

‘99-2006

Aweosme, thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 8:38:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No squid here.  I have V-Twins.  One tosses down 150hp , the other 180hp at the rear wheel.  Not low performance Harleys.  
I routinely smoke the squids at the drag strip.  Better try again there, buddy.

Harley guys spend crazy amounts of money getting a super doggy, slow ass bike, to accelerate slightly faster.
Then they parade around acting like they have a friggin drag bike.  It's a joke.  

I'm sorry, but your slow-ass low performance Harley is still just that, even after you dumped another $10k into it.  But at least you have LOUD pipes now.  So that's way cool, for everyone.

Tony

View Quote

Holy shit dude, does bashing other people's shit make you feel better about your own miserable life?

Some people just want a fun ride around town and don't need to compete with everyone.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 8:40:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, but only if you promise to rev it up at every stop.
People really think its cool. Really.

On a related note:
Loud pipes save lives.
But helmets, apparently, don't.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 8:44:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
88" 5 speed.
Smooth motors.
If you ever ride a six speed
you will hate the five.
View Quote

This.  No hate for 2005--I had two of them, and neither one gave me issues.  Now on a 2013 FL with a six, and I don't think I could go back to a five.
I'd always get up to highway speed on my TC88s and go to shift into top gear...only to realize I was already there.  Six speed much better for me.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 8:46:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No squid here.  I have V-Twins.  One tosses down 150hp , the other 180hp at the rear wheel.  Not low performance Harleys.  

Harley guys spend crazy amounts of money getting a super doggy, slow ass bike, to accelerate slightly faster.
Then they parade around acting like they have a friggin drag bike.  It's a joke.  

I'm sorry, but your slow-ass low performance Harley is still just that, even after you dumped another $10k into it.  But at least you have LOUD pipes now.  So that's way cool, for everyone.

Tony

View Quote

You're a morron. Whatever you spent to get "180 hp" from a v twin could also get it from a harley. If your goal is performance then buy something meant for it. Don't go running your mouth like you did something amazing by dropping $15k into your vstar and now it's somehow better than a stock harley.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Non issue. It was only 88" TC. You're good
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 8:48:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

@raygixxer89 you’re safe. The problems were with the mid 2000’s twin cams.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 8:54:15 PM EDT
[#12]
While on the subject of speed, my '03 road king with 95" cylinders and aftermarket cams is deceptively fast for such a giant pig. It's by far the quickest I've seen 850lbs get up and move.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 8:55:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You're a morron. Whatever you spent to get "180 hp" from a v twin could also get it from a harley. If your goal is performance then buy something meant for it. Don't go running your mouth like you did something amazing by dropping $15k into your vstar and now it's somehow better than a stock harley.
View Quote

He is likely referring to KTM or Ducati which produce power in that range stock.

Which is not saying it’s usable in the real world but it sounds cool to tell people about it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 8:59:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good deal. It's got 1965 on the odo, tbey're asking 18995 for it. Great condition. Dealer, same place I bought my '19 Roadster.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 9:00:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. I'm really digging the looks of it. The only thing I don't like is the forward controls. I'm a fan of mids.
@pointblanke
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 9:01:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got a 1999 Softail that I've had for 15 years. 100% reliable, always has been. People poke fun at Harleys, but there is a reason they have Been making motorcycles since 1903.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 9:03:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I worked on Harleys in that time period. Those are solid bikes and to be honest, the later ones starting getting the planned obsolescence treatment. My range for buying them is 2000-2006.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 9:09:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've got a 1999 Softail that I've had for 15 years. 100% reliable, always has been. People poke fun at Harleys, but there is a reason they have Been making motorcycles since 1903.
View Quote

Yes, because people want Harleys. Harleys are not motorcycles, they are Harleys-HD has done a pretty good job sciencing them out to be as good as their customer preferences allow, but let’s not confuse them with other motorcycles in empirical terms.

Not a Harley hater, BTW. In fact I was really impressed with my Dad’s recent Street Bob. It’s quite decent for the limited roll it’s intended to fill. It is fine for running around town on a weekend, blowing the stink out of your hair after a long day at work etc. it’s a lot better than it needs to be for that-still not a great place to spend an afternoon on the freeway or corner like you mean to have fun. But I guess it’s all in your expectation.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 9:31:27 PM EDT
[#19]
For the right price, absolutely.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 10:00:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yes, but only if you promise to rev it up at every stop.
People really think its cool. Really.

On a related note:
Loud pipes save lives.
But helmets, apparently, don't.
View Quote
Thanks for the advice...appreciate it.
This is why I love GD...the answers you won't get anywhere else, from obviously knowledgeable subject matter experts.

I'm thinking that I'll just loose up the exhaust manifold so I can get some of that open-block rumble...and relieving all that backpresssure should easily boost everything by 50hp. Probably throw an air horn on that bad boy too.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 10:00:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

'99-2006
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

'99-2006
So what does it cost to deal with this? We talking $500? $1000? $2500?
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 10:01:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I worked on Harleys in that time period. Those are solid bikes and to be honest, the later ones starting getting the planned obsolescence treatment. My range for buying them is 2000-2006.
View Quote
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 10:07:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So what does it cost to deal with this? We talking $500? $1000? $2500?
View Quote

It really depends what all you want to do while in there.  High volume oil pump, etc

https://www.sscycle.com/products/gear-drive-camshaft-kit-for-1999-06-big-twins-except-06-hd-dyna-complete-kit/

https://www.sscycle.com/products/gear-drive-cam-chest-kit-for-1999-06-hd-big-twins-except-06-dyna/
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 10:21:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Age is not really a factor with Harley Davidsons, or motorcycles in general. Illinois is a rust belt state, but because bikes are seasonal you can find immaculate bikes quite easily.

A 2006 Road King has a Twin Cam series engine in it. The twin cam engines used chain driven cams, with a spring loaded plastic tensioner. The tensioners were made from nylon or some type of plastic, and were known to come apart over time, with the pieces clogging up the engines oil pickup and leading to catastrophic engine failure.

Some will argue that issue is over hyped, and that their motor has 100k miles bone stock. In 2007 Harley changed over from a spring loaded tensioner to a hydraulic tensioner which supposedly helped remedy this problem.

A gentleman already posted in here about replacing the chain driven cams with gear driven cams. That is possible, though the Twin Cam engines also had runout issues with their cranks, and putting in gear driven cams might require the crank being balanced and welded. I dont know if thats financially worth doing.

Me personally, when I get some play money again, I would like to get a older Harley with the Evo engine. That or maybe a street glide thats after 2011.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 10:22:43 PM EDT
[#25]
How readily available are the 95" and 103" kits for that series of Twin Cam bikes?

Buddy/coworker bought a Road King in the early 2000s. I think it was an '06. Got the 103" cylinder and stroker crank upgrade, cams to match, S-E mufflers and a tune job. Put a King Tour Pak on the back and proceeded to ride the thing everywhere.

I'd get this one. Though I have my eyes out for a '10-13 Road Glide and Road King. Get both.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 10:42:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Tony

View Quote

Lol! The anti-Harley crowd are massively insecure! I dont see a lot of Harley riders giving a crap what anyone else rides.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:10:48 PM EDT
[#27]
When I pulled the cam chain tensioners out of my '04 Road King at 50K miles, they looked like they could go another 20K miles. I upgraded the cams to Andrews N "Conversion" cams, which allowed me to use to use the 96" OEM cam plate and the 96" hydraulic cam chain tensioners. I also installed an OEM high volume oil pump and upgraded the inner cam bearings.
A cam upgrade is the best bang-for-the-buck performance upgrade that you can do for a TwinCam 88.  I ride with a couple of guys that went with Andrews 21 Gs, and they're happy with them. The crank run-out on the post '02s isn't generally a problem but a run-out check is recommended before installing gear driven cams. If the run-out is above spec, the result is a bit more noise from the cam gears.
If you replace the original cam chain tensioner shoes with new ones, the cam chains will have been broken in and polished, and will cause a lot less wear
and give longer life on the new shoes.
One thing every stock EFI Harley needs is a "tuner" because the TwinCam Harleys of that era were tuned way too lean from the factory.  Even if you stick with stock mufflers and air filter, a tuner will make a big difference in how the bike runs.
I like the pre '09 Road Kings better than the newer ones because they're a lot lighter and have the narrower five gallon gas tanks. I also like the look of the "old school" 16" front wheel.  HD has discontinued the Standard Road King for this year, which I think is a mistake.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:14:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Thanks. I'm really digging the looks of it. The only thing I don't like is the forward controls. I'm a fan of mids.
@pointblanke
View Quote

My 04 custom had forward controls when I bought it and I changed them to low brow custom mids.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:15:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Most worthless tractors ever made. Sound like a Massey Ferguson but no PTO or 3 point hitch...
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:16:27 PM EDT
[#30]
No.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:17:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
How readily available are the 95" and 103" kits for that series of Twin Cam bikes?

Buddy/coworker bought a Road King in the early 2000s. I think it was an '06. Got the 103" cylinder and stroker crank upgrade, cams to match, S-E mufflers and a tune job. Put a King Tour Pak on the back and proceeded to ride the thing everywhere.

I'd get this one. Though I have my eyes out for a '10-13 Road Glide and Road King. Get both.
View Quote

All you need to do to bump an 88" TwinCam up to 95" is have the cylinders bored and install HD Screamin' Eagle flat top pistons and rings.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:26:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I have no desire to race bikes, I enjoy the ride. Keep strutting around telling yourself you're the best.

Nobody cares.
View Quote

It's not just race bikes.... from dirt, to adventure, to touring or just cruising every other manufacturer (except urinals) gives you so much more... quality, dependability, performance, warranty, price, etc etc compared to an obsolete clunker HD.

But, if you actually ride and not pose on your antiquated garbage, you would already know that.

OP, don't do it!  Hardley is on life support, once they go under, the chinese parts they use in a majority of the bike will dry up and you will be fucked.  And believe me, you will need a lot of friggin parts!!
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:26:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Go for it op. Enjoy the ride. (Get the one issue everyone has mentioned adjusted at the same time. While you’re in there. Cam upgrade is easy.

It’s not about being the fastest or the best. It’s about you enjoying it.

Cams were an amazing upgrade on my bike. 130hp and still rides easy.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:27:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Absolutely.    I just bought an 05 softtail last Friday.  Already have almost 1k miles on it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:28:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Of fuck you almost sold that line of bull shit I am rolling
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:31:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Which is not saying it’s usable in the real world but it sounds cool to tell people about it.
View Quote

Is that what guys with the little cocks say?  

Harley going to make it? Heard the new Indian (dot) built curry bikes are their last hope!  

Good riddance to a shit company selling a shit product!
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:45:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It's not just race bikes.... from dirt, to adventure, to touring or just cruising every other manufacturer (except urinals) gives you so much more... quality, dependability, performance, warranty, price, etc etc compared to an obsolete clunker HD.

But, if you actually ride and not pose on your antiquated garbage, you would already know that.

OP, don't do it!  Hardley is on life support, once they go under, the chinese parts they use in a majority of the bike will dry up and you will be fucked.  And believe me, you will need a lot of friggin parts!!
View Quote

Did the harley dealer salesman not acknowledge you when you walked with your skinny jeans and man purse? Awful butt hurt.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:46:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Lots of opinions on this one.

I'd only add that if you are looking for a touring MC (Road King fits that bill), look at a six speed transmission.  Several have said that once you ride a six, you'll never look back at a five.  I agree.

To spend this kind of money on a touring MC, define what you want and look for that.  If this one is a smoking deal or not, if it doesn't fit what you want, it's still a waste of money and time.

HD sells a lot of Road Kings because people buy them and like them.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:47:45 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm just here to see who wins the purse swinging fight.

Carry on.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:48:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Did the harley dealer salesman not acknowledge you when you walked with your skinny jeans and man purse? Awful butt hurt.
View Quote

Its just BigPolska. He trolls every Harley thread.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:50:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Tony

View Quote

Bro. You're so cool. Please tell us more.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:51:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

He drank coolant from a CNC machine when he was a kid i think
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:52:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Anything 2002 or before according to my Harley friends.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:56:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh no, I stated facts and you refute them perfectly with this brilliant retort!

How will I ever go on

Those that ride... know.  And that is why all Hardley Abelson has left as it smokes into the dumpster is newbies who don't know better, and old posers who are too afraid of anything that challenges their identity, being all wrapped up in that harley lifestyle.

Kinda pathetic really.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can't wait to invite you to the official Harley bankruptcy thread.

At least the few remaining American Hardley workers that still have jobs after Hardley shipped most of them overseas can get a new job with a reputable American company for a change.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:03:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Not from a dealership, pricing will be strong.

In the garage 2010 FXDWG and 2011 FLHTK currently.

If you’re handy pick up a Factory Service Manual. Plan to do a 3 hole fluid change and a brake bleed from the start.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:05:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

How will I ever go on

Those that ride... know.  And that is why all Hardley Abelson has left as it smokes into the dumpster is newbies who don't know better, and old posers who are too afraid of anything that challenges their identity, being all wrapped up in that harley lifestyle.

Kinda pathetic really.
View Quote

Many "real" riders own Harleys. What do you ride Polska? Different strokes for different folks.

If you are concerned with posers, go have a look at the sport bike crowd.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:10:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

How will I ever go on

Kinda pathetic really.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How will I ever go on

Kinda pathetic really.

Nothing worse than a fucking snooty metric rider. Worse than squids.

Those that ride...know.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:15:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Many "real" riders own Harleys...
View Quote

Thanks, I really needed a good laugh tonight!!
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:23:51 AM EDT
[#50]
I like the look of the BMW K1600.   I'd like to ride one someday.  I don't want to pay for it though.  

I'd have an HD too.   I'm not picky.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top