Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 2:47:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Why not sell the FAL and run something like this:

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 3:03:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't hesitate one second using a 308 bolt gun on a shot at a 300 yd trophy buck.

I'd be a little nervous with the FAL simply due to accuracy potential.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 3:32:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wouldn't hesitate one second using a 308 bolt gun on a shot at a 300 yd trophy buck.

I'd be a little nervous with the FAL simply due to accuracy potential.
View Quote

I've found that 99% of my shots are under 200 and my favored rifle is quickly becoming a PTR carbine with the heavy profile barrel from 2010 or so topped with an eotech. It surprisingly groups right at or just below one moa with the what used to be cheap federal 150sp load. But per your point, 300 and beyond, the 13lb+ 308 bolt gun gets the nod
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 3:42:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I hunted with a H&K 91 for several years. I got the H&K cheap and my Ruger Deerslayer Carbine went tits-up on me so it was all I had and I could not afford anything else back then.

Oddly enough after the first AWB I sold the H&K for stupidly good money and had a .308 custom B/A built. Spared no expense, still use it today.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 4:16:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What kind of optic? Seems like the ones designed for the FAL are well a lil expensive.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get the DSA dust cover rail
Get an optic for the FAL
Kill shit
What kind of optic? Seems like the ones designed for the FAL are well a lil expensive.  

Any plain ol' 3x9 hunting scope will work fine.  Redfields can be had for around a buck-fifty.  Get the matte finish so it matches the rifle.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 4:24:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Not really. It comes down to accuracy. Do you want 1/4" MOA or 2-4" MOA accuracy?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't see why it matters what kind of gun.  .308 is .308.  Use whatever you like best and shoot the best.

Not really. It comes down to accuracy. Do you want 1/4" MOA or 2-4" MOA accuracy?

It's minute-of-deer.  Vital area is the size of a dinner plate; put a 150-grain softpoint boolit anywhere in there, and you're GTG.

The FAL is actually better in that regard than, say, the M1A, since it has the dial-a-yield knob for the gas system.  With the M1A, you have to match your ammo to the gas system; with the FAL, you can adjust (unless you get one of those adjustable gas plugs)
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 4:27:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I still don't know what this babble about weight and shorter effective range is all about.

When I got my first FAL I didn't have a spare sling laying around, so I just huffed it without one. I went out at night for about 6 hours without a sling, and 2 spare mags on my person. No problems.

Go to the gym if you have that much of a hard time carrying a rifle, damn.

Effective range? The farthest I've ever seen anything was about 4-500 yards out. Any semi automatic .308 can do that easily if the nut behind the trigger knows his shit. Even more so if you've got a nice optic sitting on it.

ETA: Even if you don't have as effective accuracy of a bolt gun out to say 6-800 yards, you've still got 20 rounds of knock-knock motherfucker .308 on tap. I'd much rather have that for the close encounters with hogs, or quick follow up shots out to 100 yards. Semi-auto's are just better for all around field use.
View Quote

This, tho I did once carry around a Browning Auto 5 in 12 gauge all day (New York is slug only).  No sling.  By the end of the day, that sucker was feeling mighty heavy.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 4:28:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I still don't know what this babble about weight and shorter effective range is all about.

When I got my first FAL I didn't have a spare sling laying around, so I just huffed it without one. I went out at night for about 6 hours without a sling, and 2 spare mags on my person. No problems.

Effective range? The farthest I've ever seen anything was about 4-500 yards out. Any semi automatic .308 can do that easily if the nut behind the trigger knows his shit. Even more so if you've got a nice optic sitting on it.

ETA: Even if you don't have as effective accuracy of a bolt gun out to say 6-800 yards, you've still got 20 rounds of knock-knock motherfucker .308 on tap. I'd much rather have that for the close encounters with hogs, or quick follow up shots out to 100 yards. Semi-auto's are just better for all around field use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
FAL was built specifically to kill mammals who top the food chain.

FAL ain't that heavy, when you compare it to an Izzy, to an L1A1, to an Rodie, to an Imbel...

I chucked my Israeli FAL with SUIT on the scale once for shits and giggles.  12.5 lbs.  About the lightest FAL (para carbine with alloy lower and type I upper) weighs a little over 8 lbs.

You can do better with a bolt action.  No need at all to lug that extra weight around for a shorter effective range.

What's a typical distance to start taking shots at a deer in the woods any way? Is it common for a hunter to start taking 3-400 yards shots?
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 4:33:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/buddyhoohaw/SCAR%2017s/17s-4.jpg

View Quote

You don't know the OP very well, do you?
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 4:33:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What's a typical distance to start taking shots at a deer in the woods any way? Is it common for a hunter to start taking 3-400 yards shots?
View Quote

Yeah, most hunters (myself included) have no business shooting at any game animal at anything past 2-300 yds.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 4:30:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's minute-of-deer.  Vital area is the size of a dinner plate; put a 150-grain softpoint boolit anywhere in there, and you're GTG.

The FAL is actually better in that regard than, say, the M1A, since it has the dial-a-yield knob for the gas system.  With the M1A, you have to match your ammo to the gas system; with the FAL, you can adjust (unless you get one of those adjustable gas plugs)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't see why it matters what kind of gun.  .308 is .308.  Use whatever you like best and shoot the best.

You're thinking of the Garand.  The M-14's system is self-adjusting (as opposed to being manually adjustable), as I understand it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 4:50:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I've done it.  I'd rather have a dedicated bolt gun with a good scope and mount.  Much sleeker.  Just a lot easier to carry around.  Same goes for 308 AR.  

If that's all I had I would use it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 4:59:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Take two FAL's. Dual wield.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 5:01:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/buddyhoohaw/SCAR%2017s/17s-4.jpg

I don't mind the SCAR but I like the FAL.

Link Posted: 12/16/2013 5:12:32 PM EDT
[#15]
M1a kills critters
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 5:23:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
FAL was built specifically to kill mammals who top the food chain.

FAL ain't that heavy, when you compare it to an Izzy, to an L1A1, to an Rodie, to an Imbel...

I chucked my Israeli FAL with SUIT on the scale once for shits and giggles.  12.5 lbs.  About the lightest FAL (para carbine with alloy lower and type I upper) weighs a little over 8 lbs.

You can do better with a bolt action.  No need at all to lug that extra weight around for a shorter effective range.

Not wanting to lug a 8-12 lb bullet hose around for miles to take one or two shots at a deer or elk doesn't mean I need to hit the gym.  Heck lots of people backpack into hunting areas, I've done that before.  Taking my FAL instead of a much lighter and more capable bolt action would have been plain stupid.

Lots of people take 300 yard shots.  Your vital zone on a deer is an 8" circle, your average FAL is going to sling them outside of that at that range a significant number of times.

If the most you'll walk is a couple miles or you are stationary, the weight obviously doesn't matter as much.

There is a reason why even when FALs were dirt cheap almost everyone that hunted chose something else.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 5:27:21 PM EDT
[#17]
You can't hunt with a FAL.  They don't kill critters.

It's like here in MD I can buy HBAR ARs but not others.  Once the bullets leave and see they're not going to a paper target they just fall to the ground and sputter like a bugs bunny cartoon.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top